PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I got bored, so i made this Assassin...

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 10:51 AM
Pretty much what the title says. I was talking with a buddy about the Assassin PrC (one of my favorites) and i started thinking about how i could better synergize with it better than Rogue 5, so i came up with this: Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 1/Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler 2/Rogue 1.

Now the Rogue levels are obvious, get the skill pre reqs for Assassin as well as a Sneak Attack die and Evasion (i love this ability), Swashbuckler is for Weapon Finesse (yay saved a feat), Insightful Strike (Int synergy anyone?) and Grace (yes i actually want this), and Swordsage is for Shadow Hand Maneuvers (yay!) and Island of Blades (good stance) which means you meet the Pre Regs for Shadowblade (Dex to Damage!)

So it looks something like this:

Lesser Tiefling Rogue1/Swashbuckler 1/Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler 2/Rogue 1/ Assassin 10/ X 4

1 TwF
3 Shadow Blade
6 Daring Outlaw (this nets you +2d6 Sneak Attack)
9 Craven
12 Darkstalker

Stats (32 PB) Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8

Wield a Dagger or Shortsword, i prefer Dagger, and you get Dex and Int to damage, as well as throwing around decent numbers your Death Attack save DC isnt crap (DC15 at level 7, not great but it gets better quickly) and bonus spells!

So ya, probably not the most original idea, but i havent seen a build like it so i figured id just post it. Ok lets rip it apart :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2015-03-13, 10:52 AM
I once made an assassin for a build competition. It won.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 10:53 AM
I once made an assassin for a build competition. It won.

I believe this to be the least surprising thing i have ever read on here

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-13, 11:05 AM
There's the assassin's spell Deathsight, which makes your next attack automatically a Death Attack without the need to study it.

There's also Goggles of Scrutiny in Dragon Mag #330, which reduces the study time to two rounds.
Boots of Temporal Acceleration allows you to act as though under Time Stop for two rounds per day.

So, once per day, pick a target and kill it immediately.

So... there's that.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 11:08 AM
There's the assassin's spell Deathsight, which makes your next attack automatically a Death Attack without the need to study it.

There's also Goggles of Scrutiny in Dragon Mag #330, which reduces the study time to two rounds.
Boots of Temporal Acceleration allows you to act as though under Time Stop for two rounds per day.

So, once per day, pick a target and kill it immediately.

So... there's that.

See we're already improving it :smallbiggrin: I always knew that Death Attack could be made decent, but the only other thing you get for a high Int is a few spells (which isnt exactly bad) so i was trying to find a way to get more out of it, dont know why it took me so long to remember Swashbuckler :smallredface:

illyahr
2015-03-13, 11:39 AM
dont know why it took me so long to remember Swashbuckler :smallredface:

Because Swashbuckler sucks past the first couple levels? Let's face it, it's almost Monk-ish how bad it gets at times.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 11:50 AM
Because Swashbuckler sucks past the first couple levels? Let's face it, it's almost Monk-ish how bad it gets at times.

Ya, but at least it has more internal synergy than Monk, not saying much though lol. Apply a few ACFs and its not god awful, also its a lot of fun with Daring Outlaw, Full BaB + Full Sneak attack goes a long way on improving it. But as written, ya, bad.

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-13, 12:00 PM
Oh there's lots of ways to boost Death Attack.

Bracer's of Murder gives you a +2, Assassin's Dagger is good for a +1.
The Ability Focus feat is good for another +2.
After picking up items that boost Sneak Attack, you can then take Ambush feats to give up sneak attack dice and inflict Shaken and Sicken, which is a -4 to their save. Intimidating, or Cause Fear and whatnot can be used to stack fear effects.
The web enhancement of Dragons of Faerun has the Jaezred Chaulssin, a criminal guild of drow dedicated to destroying Lolth. Joining that group and taking the Favored in Guild feat from Dungeon Master's Guide II gets you another +4 to your Death Attack DC.
Sniper's Eye lets you attempt his from 60 ft away.
Since you have poison use, any Con draining poison would lower their save even more.
Taking the Dungeonscape ACF that gives up Rogue trapfinding EDIT: whoops, trapsense will get your half your Sneak Attack dice against targets that are normally immune, thus allowing you to Death Attack everything. The DMG never actually refers to it as a Death effect, and it's certainly not a magical ability, so whether or not Death immunity would apply is questionable at best.
There's also Legacy Champion cheese for an increase to effective assassin levels and thus increased save DC. Intelligence boosting items.

As a last resort there is the Deathstalker of Bhaal from Dragon Mag 322, a five level PrC which gives you a Death Attack based on Charisma which is even easier to boost. As a bonus, Deathstalker levels count twice for the Death Attack DC.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 12:12 PM
Wall of Murder
The web enhancement of Dragons of Faerun has the Jaezred Chaulssin, a criminal guild of drow dedicated to destroying Lolth. Joining that group and taking the Favored in Guild feat from Dungeon Master's Guide II gets you another +4 to your Death Attack DC.

That is awesome, and makes me want to play a Drow Assassin, but that LA...

Anyway thanks for all the Death Attack boosts, those are very helpful, i just like having a back up plan if it fails, and Int to damage does that. Also never actually realized that Death Attack isnt a Death effect, weird.

LanSlyde
2015-03-13, 12:32 PM
Pretty much what the title says. I was talking with a buddy about the Assassin PrC (one of my favorites) and i started thinking about how i could better synergize with it better than Rogue 5, so i came up with this: Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 1/Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler 2/Rogue 1.

Now the Rogue levels are obvious, get the skill pre reqs for Assassin as well as a Sneak Attack die and Evasion (i love this ability), Swashbuckler is for Weapon Finesse (yay saved a feat), Insightful Strike (Int synergy anyone?) and Grace (yes i actually want this), and Swordsage is for Shadow Hand Maneuvers (yay!) and Island of Blades (good stance) which means you meet the Pre Regs for Shadowblade (Dex to Damage!)

So it looks something like this:

Lesser Tiefling Rogue1/Swashbuckler 1/Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler 2/Rogue 1/ Assassin 10/ X 4

1 TwF
3 Shadow Blade
6 Daring Outlaw (this nets you +2d6 Sneak Attack)
9 Craven
12 Darkstalker

Stats (32 PB) Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8

Wield a Dagger or Shortsword, i prefer Dagger, and you get Dex and Int to damage, as well as throwing around decent numbers your Death Attack save DC isnt crap (DC15 at level 7, not great but it gets better quickly) and bonus spells!

So ya, probably not the most original idea, but i havent seen a build like it so i figured id just post it. Ok lets rip it apart :smalltongue:

Heh, neat. To instill greater shenanigans, I suggest dropping the dip in swordsage, or the levels in swashbuckler. Bumping assassin down to 9, changing it to Psychic Psionic Assassin , then rounding out with Telflammar Shadowlord 6.

So something like Human Rogue1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 1/ Psychic Psionic Assassin 10/ Tellflammar Shadowlord 6

(Bonus) Dodge
1 Mobility
3 Blind Fight
6 Dark Stalker
9 Spring Attack
12 Ability Focus: Death Attack
15 Sickening Strike
18 Terrifying Strike

Pump hide and move silently, then utilize your Spring attack with your insane Death Attack DC. Suddenly your some unknowable force on the battlefield bringing all your targets to a silent, instant end. There will be no pain, just a sweet release. In essence, you are this guy:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141105031039/dragonage/images/3/30/Cole_Choice_%26_Consequence.png

ComaVision
2015-03-13, 12:40 PM
Heh, neat. To instill greater shenanigans, I suggest dropping the dip in swordsage, or the levels in swashbuckler. Bumping assassin down to 9, changing it to Psychic Assassin , then rounding out with Telflammar Shadowlord 6.

So something like Human Rogue1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 1/ Psychic Assassin 10/ Tellflammar Shadowlord 6

brb taking a manifestation boosting class
brb no manifestation class to progress
brb don't have the spell to instant death attack

Snowbluff
2015-03-13, 12:41 PM

Here is the build. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15401956&postcount=48) If I were to change it, I would use assassin instead of avenger and use different Master Thrower talents.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 12:44 PM
Death Incarnate Psychic Edition

Ooh nice, still very simple and straightforward and quite effective. If i ever actually play a Psychic character i may go for this.

Here is the build. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15401956&postcount=48) If I were to change it, I would use assassin instead of avenger and use different Master Thrower talents.

Very nice, flavorful and very killy.

ComaVision
2015-03-13, 12:45 PM

Apologies if I'm missing something but it doesn't seem that the build qualifies for the Dead Eye feat?

LanSlyde
2015-03-13, 12:48 PM
brb taking a manifestation boosting class
brb no manifestation class to progress
brb don't have the spell to instant death attack

I'm not sure what your getting at, but Psionic Assassin from Secrets of Sarlona has its own progression, as for spell you speak of, its not essential.

ComaVision
2015-03-13, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure what your getting at, but Psionic Assassin from Secrets of Sarlona has its own progression, as for spell you speak of, its not essential.

Oh.

Psychic Assasin. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d)

I'll have to check out Psionic Assassin.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-13, 12:54 PM
Getting Two Weapon Fighting isn't worth delaying Dark Stalker.

You don't qualify for Daring Outlaw at 6th level.

Your will save is complete garbage. +4 at level 9 is not good.

Honestly, Swordsage is the only thing keeping this build afloat. You don't have enough levels to get scent or Assassin's Stance, but the bonus to will saves is better than having nothing.

LanSlyde
2015-03-13, 12:56 PM
Ooh nice, still very simple and straightforward and quite effective. If i ever actually play a Psychic character i may go for this.

If you worked in a third level of rogue you could get the Penetrating Strike ACF, allowing you to SA things normally immune for half damage instead. Arguably, because they are now vulnerable to your SA, then are vulnerable to your DA based on the wording of Death Attack. Hell, its not even considered a Death Effect, so Undeads can't even go 'lol nope'.

Snowbluff
2015-03-13, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

Apologies if I'm missing something but it doesn't seem that the build qualifies for the Dead Eye feat?

The BAB requirement was errataed to +1.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 01:05 PM
Getting Two Weapon Fighting isn't worth delaying Dark Stalker.

You don't qualify for Daring Outlaw at 6th level.

Your will save is complete garbage. +4 at level 9 is not good.

Honestly, Swordsage is the only thing keeping this build afloat. You don't have enough levels to get scent or Assassin's Stance, but the bonus to will saves is better than having nothing.

Whoops, originally planned this out with Assassin at 6, easy enough just take one level of Assassin and go back for the second of Rogue if you want. And yes the Will save is gonna be god awful, most Rogue characters have god awful will saves, and TWF is pretty much optional, its just how i usually play my Assassins.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-13, 01:23 PM

Anyway thanks for all the Death Attack boosts, those are very helpful, i just like having a back up plan if it fails, and Int to damage does that. Also never actually realized that Death Attack isnt a Death effect, weird.

Lesser Drow is a thing.
Player's Guide to Faerun, pg 191.

+2 Dex, -2 Con. Replaces standard Elf ability score modifiers.
Darkvision
Weapon Proficiency: Hand Crossbow, Rapier & Shortsword (this replaces the standard Elf weapon proficiencies)
+2 Will save bonus against spells and spell-like effects
Spell-Like Abilities: Characters with Charisma of 10+ have the following SLAs: 1/day - Dancing Lights, daze, Touch of Fatigue. Caster level equal to number of class levels.
Light Blindness
Favored Class - Wizard (male) or Cleric (female)

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 01:26 PM
Lesser Drow is a thing.
Player's Guide to Faerun, pg 191.

+2 Dex, -2 Con. Replaces standard Elf ability score modifiers.
Darkvision
Weapon Proficiency: Hand Crossbow, Rapier & Shortsword (this replaces the standard Elf weapon proficiencies)
+2 Will save bonus against spells and spell-like effects
Spell-Like Abilities: Characters with Charisma of 10+ have the following SLAs: 1/day - Dancing Lights, daze, Touch of Fatigue. Caster level equal to number of class levels.
Light Blindness
Favored Class - Wizard (male) or Cleric (female)

Oh i know, but i really like the SR and the Int bonus, i guess if i start high enough i could have it bought off....

Ill just stick with Tiefling for now, as the Ability increases are great, and just say hes a Drow Tiefling. Might even make him a Dark Creature.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-13, 01:30 PM

Oh i know, but i really like the SR and the Int bonus, i guess if i start high enough i could have it bought off....

Ill just stick with Tiefling for now, as the Ability increases are great, and just say hes a Drow Tiefling. Might even make him a Dark Creature.

Something a great DM once told me: "Don't waste feats or levels when money can solve your problems. Unless you're TWFing. Then get Improved Critical as a feat." Anywho, Continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphasis. 22k. Gives the Dark template at the expense of your necklace slot. Course, if you're starting high enough to buy off the LA, that's a horse of a whole 'nother color.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 01:33 PM
Something a great DM once told me: "Don't waste feats or levels when money can solve your problems. Unless you're TWFing. Then get Improved Critical as a feat." Anywho, Continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphasis. 22k. Gives the Dark template at the expense of your necklace slot. Course, if you're starting high enough to buy off the LA, that's a horse of a whole 'nother color.

I always forget about that necklace. If im starting at above level 4 ill just have bought off my LA otherwise i will probably use this. Honestly i would love to be a Shadow Draconic Drow as thats flavorful as all hell, but oh god +5 LA, it hurts, it hurts!!!

WeaselGuy
2015-03-13, 01:38 PM
I always forget about that necklace. If im starting at above level 4 ill just have bought off my LA otherwise i will probably use this. Honestly i would love to be a Shadow Draconic Drow as thats flavorful as all hell, but oh god +5 LA, it hurts, it hurts!!!

What about a Dark Lesser Deepwyrm Drow? It has pretty much the worst version of HiPS, but only +1 LA.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 01:51 PM
What about a Dark Lesser Deepwyrm Drow? It has pretty much the worst version of HiPS, but only +1 LA.

Huh, its the mini version of that. Fun. If i ever get to play in Faerun im gonna be a Dark Lesser Deepwyrm Drow from Wyrmshadow, then i will use my above build. Fluff and not sacrificing competence!!

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-13, 04:53 PM
Sniper's Eye lets you attempt his from 60 ft away.

Never mind. found it. Tis a spell.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-13, 05:30 PM
Never mind. found it. Tis a spell.

A very nice spell, especially if you make a continuous magic item of it. Was never really sure why Death Attack was limited to melee anyway

Twurps
2015-03-14, 12:21 PM
Oh there's lots of ways to boost Death Attack.
snip

don't forget 'Aleval shool' (feat:DoTU) for -2 to your target's save.

I like the skill trick 'mosquito's bite' on a build like this. (target doesn't realize he's been hit untill 1 round later)
Also seconding the swordsage dip. shadowhand maneuvers synergize quite nicely.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-14, 01:15 PM
Take a look at this Merfolk Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358732-I-need-a-lot-of-easily-playable-builds#4). Note that Share Pain on his Psicrystal makes him take half damage from all sources, plus he has an extra 90 temporary hp. That's built for a specific purpose and environment, but it's one of the more dangerous assassins I've made. Apparently the fight lasted an unusually long eight rounds and it killed two party members (but Psionic Revivify fixed them). Dealing 2 Con damage and 2 Int damage per hit, for seven attacks per round, is more dangerous than simple bonuses to hp damage. Especially considering 14 Int damage in one round is enough to outright disable nearly any PC who isn't an Int-based spellcaster.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-14, 01:22 PM
Take a look at this Merfolk Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358732-I-need-a-lot-of-easily-playable-builds#4). Note that Share Pain on his Psicrystal makes him take half damage from all sources, plus he has an extra 90 temporary hp. That's built for a specific purpose and environment, but it's one of the more dangerous assassins I've made. Apparently the fight lasted an unusually long eight rounds and it killed two party members (but Psionic Revivify fixed them). Dealing 2 Con damage and 2 Int damage per hit, for seven attacks per round, is more dangerous than simple bonuses to hp damage. Especially considering 14 Int damage in one round is enough to outright disable nearly any PC who isn't an Int-based spellcaster.

I kinda want to steal that Share Pain trick. Smack the Assassin, he doesnt seem to care.

Snowbluff
2015-03-14, 11:15 PM

Oh man, assassin mixed with share pain psycrystal? Damn. :smalltongue:

Another one I like is the Marrulurk. 2d6 SA and a cha based death attack. They have pretty good stats, too. The 3 HD isn't so bad aside from the slightly lower skill points/level.

EDIT: Bifu, do you have the link for psychic assassin? The one in your build is dead.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-15, 02:20 PM
Oh man, assassin mixed with share pain psycrystal? Damn. :smalltongue:

Another one I like is the Marrulurk. 2d6 SA and a cha based death attack. They have pretty good stats, too. The 3 HD isn't so bad aside from the slightly lower skill points/level.

EDIT: Bifu, do you have the link for psychic assassin? The one in your build is dead.

If a wizards.com link to 3.x content doesn't work, replace 'www' with 'archive' and you'll get there. Psychic Assassin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d)

A Marrulurk with one level of Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) gets eight base skill points per racial HD, among other benefits, and you never have to take the rest of the template (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a). Make it a variant half-fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) based on a Babau (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#babau) as the parent fiend and you'll get all of its listed skills as class skills for your racial HD as well.