PDA

View Full Version : Another name for Ki?

Galen
2015-03-13, 10:55 AM
So, I love what WotC did with the Monk class in 5E, but for some reason I don't like the word Ki. Don't ask why. Just don't like it. Hate it, in fact. Can you suggest another name for Ki? I really want to have Monks in my games, but the thought of constantly hearing "I use a Ki point..." terrifies me.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-13, 10:58 AM
So, I love what WotC did with the Monk class in 5E, but for some reason I don't like the word Ki. Don't ask why. Just don't like it. Hate it, in fact. Can you suggest another name for Ki? I really want to have Monks in my games, but the thought of constantly hearing "I use a Ki point..." terrifies me.

In the book it is called Mystic Energy under the ki section.

What about Chi, it is pronounced by most people slightly different and means the exact same thing (generally).

Chi as in chicken
Ki and in key

Might help you out a bit.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-13, 10:59 AM

Force
Soul
Power
Kung Fu Magic
Chakra
"Hi-YA!"

Edit:
Inform the player you are not interested in hearing their point management and to just name the move they are using it for (wizards say "I cast sleep" not "I cast a 1st level spell and activate "Sleep") and reserve clarification on "points used" for variable effects?

jaydubs
2015-03-13, 11:09 AM
I'm just pulling from the wikipedia article on Qi/Chi/Ki/etc.

But a few different names for similar concepts, from different cultures are:

-Prana
-Pneuma
-Mana
-Lüng
-Ruah
-Vital energy

sammyp03
2015-03-13, 11:16 AM
Essence.

I'm not fond of Ki either.

pwykersotz
2015-03-13, 11:19 AM
Seconding Chakra or Soul, both are easy to remember.

Others:
Mana
Focus

Easy_Lee
2015-03-13, 11:23 AM
Weeaboo Fightan Magic

some guy
2015-03-13, 11:50 AM
midi-chlorians

I'll see myself out

some guy
2015-03-13, 11:52 AM
midi-chlorians

I'll see myself out

Edit: maybe don't name the points and only name the abilities? "I'm entering the Crane Stance for 2 points" or something

(true edit: my apologies for the double post, meant to select "edit" but accidently selected "reply with quote")

Myzz
2015-03-13, 12:21 PM
Yin?
Yang?
Wushu?

*Vitality?

*perhaps in the case of the later allow Monks to 'OverChannel' by taking an exhaustion level to create a Vitality Point?

Ghost Nappa
2015-03-13, 12:45 PM
The Power of Love. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NMph943tsw)

More seriously, another recommendation for Chakra or Mana.

DireSickFish
2015-03-13, 12:51 PM
Farts
WuJu
Sorcerer Points
Monk Points
Those things that monks get that let them do stuff and I want to do stuff also

Flickerdart
2015-03-13, 12:53 PM
Mojo? :smalltongue:

dancrilis
2015-03-13, 12:54 PM
Beer.

And pints instead of points.

I use one of my beer pints to stun the the orc in front of me.
Using a beer pint I try to ignore the fireball.
Using 4 beer pints I empty my body, or eight for an out of body experience.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-13, 12:56 PM
Mojo? :smalltongue:

Next time I make a noncasters class homebrew the class will run on mojo.

If I ever want to make my own game it will be called Mojo and Magic. Well until someone gives me a better title.

Stan
2015-03-13, 12:56 PM
You could take all eastern religion and mysticism out of it and the mechanics would still work. Especially if you want monks to be scrappy unarmed fighters who use their wits and tactics instead of brute force. Or a pulp era hero who is good with their fists

Other words:
piss (as in full of piss and vinegar or taking the piss out of someone)
guts
wits
spunk
action

(beer and mojo work well too)

kaoskonfety
2015-03-13, 01:30 PM
You could take all eastern religion and mysticism out of it and the mechanics would still work. Especially if you want monks to be scrappy unarmed fighters who use their wits and tactics instead of brute force. Or a pulp era hero who is good with their fists

Other words:
piss (as in full of piss and vinegar or taking the piss out of someone)
guts
wits
spunk
action

(beer and mojo work well too)

Reskin the whole thing "muscle Wizard" and call it a day?

Fair nuf.

Person_Man
2015-03-13, 02:16 PM
Essentia?
Quintessence?
Psionic Energy?

On a related note, does anyone have a good synonym for "points." As in every previous edition of D&D, I've had a request to make a Jedi homebrew. I have a rough Monk-subclass homebrew that hasn't been tested yet, but I hate using the word "Force Points" because that's not something a character would ever actually say.

Easy_Lee
2015-03-13, 02:22 PM
Essentia?
Quintessence?
Psionic Energy?

On a related note, does anyone have a good synonym for "points." As in every previous edition of D&D, I've had a request to make a Jedi homebrew. I have a rough Monk-subclass homebrew that hasn't been tested yet, but I hate using the word "Force Points" because that's not something a character would ever actually say.

The MMO Everquest had an interesting take on mana. The explanation was that casting a spell is mentally taxing, and one must rest or meditate to clear one's mind after casting enough spells. The experience of the caster (character level) and the power of the spell affected how long it took for the fatigue become too great, such that the person would have to clear their mind before casting any more spells.

So I would do it off of a system of mental fatigue or mental acuity (force acuity? Connection to the force?). The more one uses one's force powers, the more mentally fatigued one becomes, the more one loses one's focus, and the less one is in-tune with the force. I would just have an acuity or focus mechanic with a numeric representation for ease of tracking, and never actually use the word "points."

ChubbyRain
2015-03-13, 02:24 PM
Essentia?
Quintessence?
Psionic Energy?

Essence?

That might work somehow.

Grand Warchief
2015-03-13, 02:26 PM
I made a homebrew Saiyan in 3.5 and didn't like saying Ki either. I just said Energy.

That move costs 3 Energy.
I have 30 Energy in my Energy pool.
Etc.

MustacheFart
2015-03-13, 02:35 PM
Here's two not suggested:

- chutzpah
- moxy

pwykersotz
2015-03-13, 02:45 PM

There's really no style of quantifying the force that sounds right to me in conversation.

Strain? Exertion? Resonance?

"When a Jedi is calm, the force flows through him. However, the strain of battle can often lead one to frustration, upsetting the balance within. Using your power destabilizes your resonance with the force, exhausting you. In time you will overcome this, but for now you must learn to accept it.

TheDeadlyShoe
2015-03-13, 02:47 PM
Magical virus depletion?

DireSickFish
2015-03-13, 02:50 PM
There's really no style of quantifying the force that sounds right to me in conversation.

Strain? Exertion? Resonance?

"When a Jedi is calm, the force flows through him. However, the strain of battle can often lead one to frustration, upsetting the balance within. Using your power destabilizes your resonance with the force, exhausting you. In time you will overcome this, but for now you must learn to accept it.

Force eh? You could go with Newtons, Dynes, pound force, Kips.

Hyena
2015-03-13, 02:54 PM
Schwartz. Use the Schwartz, Bruce, use the Schwartz!