PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Finally, the paladin can check his make-up (A mirrored shield)

Kyace
2007-04-10, 02:27 AM
In the vein of daedu’s nice “Battle Suit of Aran”, I figured I’d try an item idea I’ve been thinking on. (PS, working on Easter gives you plenty of time to think).

Mirror Shield
This +1 heavy steel shield appears mostly normal; however, the front is a highly reflective polished surface. The mirrored surface resists dulling, scratching and clouding even while the shield is used to block sword blows and other heavy abuse that shields generally get put through.

The Mirror Shield can be used as a heavy shield or can be set in preparation of an unusual attack. If you ready the shield against an attack (a standard action), you are able to select one attack between this and your next turn to attempt to reflect. You must decide to attempt to reflect the attack before you know the outcome of the attack (before you know if you were hit or not). You may reflect any attack that requires an attack roll or a reflex save to deal non-mundane damage (mundane damage being bludgeoning, piercing or slashing). If the attack deals both mundane and non-mundane damage, you cannot reflect it.

If you decide to reflect an attack and you’ve readied an action to do so, when either you roll the reflex save to avoid the attack or the attacker rolls their attack roll, you can add your shield bonus to either your reflex save or your AC against the attack, even if the attack normally ignores shield bonuses. If this special reflex save or AC beats the DC/attack roll, then you’ve reflected the attack from you. If you fail this save or the attack roll beats your AC, you take damage as normal.

If you succeed in reflecting the attack, you may as a free action aim this reflected attack toward another visible target up to as far away as the original attacker was from you with a ranged touch attack. If you target the original attacker and they do not expect you to reflect their attack, then they lose their dexterity bonus to AC against the reflected attack.

Special: If you have the deflect arrows feat, you may use the arm wielding the mirror shield to deflect missiles as if it were free. You may also attempt to reflect attacks without readying the shield against an attack; however, you cannot apply the shield bonus to the reflex save or to your touch attack AC. Using the shield in this way uses up your deflect arrows for the round and you cannot aim the reflected attack toward another target (the energies dissipates harmlessly). You must be aware of the attack and not flat-footed.
If you have the snatch arrows feat, you may aim reflected attacks even when you don't ready the shield.

Moderate abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, protection from arrows, resist energy; Cost 9170 gp.
(The Mirror special ability raises the cost of a shield as if it were +2 bonus higher.)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any suggestions, especially on price and the reflection mechanics. In case you can't tell, I think its silly that deflect arrows doesn't work holding a shield. :)

Roderick_BR
2007-04-10, 06:08 AM
I was thinking about trying my hand at these itens too. I figured a mirror shield would work as a Ring of Spell Turning, only that it deflects the attack without sending it back to the caster, remembering that it affects only ray attacks and one-target attacks, not area spells.

Neko
2007-04-10, 08:53 AM
Hmmmm an item like this would work good with my Aegis class.

Kyace
2007-04-10, 11:36 AM
Roderick, there is a reflecting shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#reflecting) like that in the SRD, I was mostly trying to make with different fluff. One that can reflect a dragon's breath or a spellcaster's searing light. I figured the nod toward daedu's suit would be enough, but if not, this is meant to vaguely model the shield of the same name from a couple of the Zelda games. Of course, mirrored shields likely have a very old history, back to Greek myths, so it doesn't have to be limited to just Zelda, thats just where I drew the base from.