PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Death or Dismemberment? Your choice.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:16 PM
Private thread for Jeriah. All trespassers shall be banished to the Docks at sunset.

Heading north along Mastiff's Road, you reach a large gatehouse in the city's outer wall, known as Rivergate. It stands open. On the other side, you can see the great river rushing by with a stone causeway built into it just inches above water level, the river flowing through channels under and through the stone. The Fortress is built on a large island in the middle of the causeway.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond that gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. Looking at it, a shudder sneaks its way down your back.

As you approach Dockside gate, you notice a dozen guardsmen standing watch, though all but two of them seem to watching those coming from the Docks rather than those going to them. As you approach, one of them stops you.

"Ho there. Do you have some business this way?"

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:19 PM
She just stares blankly at the guard for a moment before gritting her teeth hard to make her helmet close itself.

"Do not worry yourself, little man. I have looked into the abyss. Today is not the day I die."

She then moves to walk past him.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:20 PM
You easily shoulder him aside, and he stumbles a bit, off balance.

"Suit yourself, then. At least I'm not on clean up."

As you pass through Dockside Gate, you get a sense of stepping into another world. The Docks are quite different from the rest of the city, not just in appearance but in the very feel of the area. It's as if a spirit of malice lingers over the area.

The first few buildings around the gate look to be in good condition and share the same general building style as Old Town on the far side of the river, obviously government buildings of some kind. Farther out, the buildings quickly degenerate into ramshackle structures built in haste for the cheapest cost possible. Interspersed throughout are a few larger buildings of slightly better construction, obviously built as warehouses. To the north, you see rows of "houses" that are little more than dangerously leaning shacks, which you conclude is the area known commonly as The Slums. You know the piers of the Docks are to your left from here, though you can't actually see them from here due to the buildings.

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:24 PM
Squee! I'm so excited to be back in the Docks after all these years! I hope nothing has changed!

And thanks again for the updated spreadsheet. That thing always makes running my character SOOOO much easier! Simply beautiful work, Riz.

Fama grins in delight. Yes. This will do nicely. Very nicely indeed. She walks a short distance and looks around for a residence of some kind, wandering only along the main roads... for the moment.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:29 PM
It hasn't changed too much. A bit safer in the day, a bit more dangerous at night.

No problems. I love that thing too. :smalltongue:

You walk a short distance and turn west. Not far away, you spot a heavily armed and armored patrol of hobgoblins, each with a blue hand tattooed on his face. The leader gives you a stern glare. When you meet his eyes, he smirks and nods approval, as if he can sense your intentions.

The second street you come across, you spot exactly what you're looking for. It's a smaller block of cheap flats, obviously intended primarily for the local dock workers. (The first orange building you pass from the gate going west)

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:29 PM
She walks up to the front door and checks the handle. If the door is unlocked, she opens and enters. If it's locked, she bangs loudly on the door until someone answers.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:31 PM
The door is indeed open. Inside, a massive orc sits with his feet propped up on a desk. Startled by your sudden entrance, he grabs an axe and leaps to his feet.

"Who are you?"

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:41 PM
She clicks her helmet open once more so she can meet the orc's eyes.

"Peace. I am Fama al-Amrari, herald of dark and blasphemous gods. I mean you no harm; however, I am in need of a place to stay. In lieu of payment, I offer my protection against all comers, be they thugs or murderers or dark cults or servants of good. All shall I slaughter for should they so much as scuff the paint or ding the doors. However, as a token of my goodwill, I give you this gift."

She plops a small bag of gold coins on the counter, which promptly spill out.

"What say you? Friend or foe?"

Giving him my last 50 gp.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:44 PM
He's completely taken aback.

"Wha... I... but..."

Taking a deep breath, he counts the coins as he processes what you just said.

"Yeah, sure. I've got a couple rooms open, one on the top floor, two on the second, and one right here, first door on the right.
Front door locks at last light and doesn't open until sunrise."

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:47 PM
"Give me the one closest to the door. I want to be readily on hand should anyone try to force their way inside.

From now on, that policy changes. If I am not here, someone is to be posted to await my return. Bar the door if you must, but you will open it on my approach. I will be coming back at any hour I choose, even if that involves breaking down the front door myself."

She reaches down and tries to break off a corner of the desk to emphasize her point.

[roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:49 PM
Give me an intimidate check too, please.
I'll give you a +3 circumstance bonus for your feat of strength.

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:51 PM
Roll high... Roll high... Roll high...
[roll0]+3 = 25

Edit: Didn't see your edit before posting.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 02:55 PM
His eyes bug out for a second.

"Su...sure thing, lady. Anything you want. I'll p-put the goblin on it. He doesn't sleep nights anyway."

He collapses back into his chair, letting the axe drop onto the floor. After a second, he reaches into a drawer and pulls out a key, which he slides across the desk to you.

"Enjoy your room."

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 02:57 PM
She takes the key, checks out her room, then wanders around the outside of the building, looking for means of easy ingress other than the front door. She's going to take guarding this building seriously. Afterward, she walks around the immediate area looking for a good place to fight without blocking off her retreat.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 03:05 PM
Your room is a small 20 x 30 ft space. The floor is paver stones, obviously the bare foundation of the building. The bed, such that it is, consists of a 3 x 6 ft wooden box on the floor filled with slightly moldy straw covered loosely with a dirty blanket. Another thin blanket is haphazardly folded at the foot of the bed. Closer examination reveals that it does indeed have a bug infestation.
The only other objects in the room are a waste bucket and a small stool. There is no window.

Looking around, you find the ground floor to be constructed of brick, which is common in Aldhaven. Unlike the rest of the city, there are no windows on the ground floor, and the second floor windows are small enough to make squeezing through them somewhat difficult for anyone larger than a child. Most of them are tightly shuttered from the inside. The top floor has normal sized windows, but those windows are barred and shuttered. It seems the building is fairly well secured.

There actually appears to be a fairly open area just north of your new home. It would indeed be perfect to have a good fight without causing any undue damage to the surrounding buildings, unless someone where to get a little overly zealous...

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 03:07 PM
Fama grins broadly as she looks over her room. "Oh, I do hope those are plague blankets. Such a warm and welcoming place."

Upon discovering the areas, she smiles quite happily. This would be a great place indeed. She checks through her belongings and readies herself for a bloody fight. When fully prepared, she heads back to Dockside Gate to await her new compatriots.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 03:14 PM
You return, wait awhile, and the man you met earlier arrives with three of his friends, each as questionable as the first. He walks over to you and smiles.

"Good to see you! I wasn't sure you'd actually show up. Thought for sure you'd chicken out, like all the others. These are my friends. I'm sure we'll all get along swell."

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 03:33 PM
"I am a woman of my word. Indeed, it is good to see all of you. I have found a location where I would like to begin. There is easy sewer access and a large, open area around it. It should be secure enough for our purposes, as there will likely be no real witnesses around the area. Come. I will take you there."

What do these people look like?

Rizban
2015-03-13, 03:38 PM
The man you met earlier is a gruff, unshaven human carrying a bastard sword strapped across his back, early 20s. His companions consist of a dwarf wearing heavy robes and no obvious weapon, another human with light armor and a rapier and buckler, female, and a half-orc with a pet wolf.

The group exchanges glances with one another when you mention "no witnesses".

"That sounds... perfect. Let's go."

They follow you to where you lead them. Though I didn't mention it earlier, there is indeed a sizable sewer grate which could be pried off and entered in the area... which is true for pretty much the entire area, but you already knew that. :smalltongue:

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 03:41 PM
She takes them to the open area, looking around once before stooping and prying up the sewer grating.

"Unless you have another suggestion, I shall go first. Our quarry will find us quickly after we enter, I am certain."

Rizban
2015-03-13, 03:43 PM
"Druan, you an the wolf go first, then Mona."

He points to the half-orc and the woman, who quickly drop into the sewer below. He then turns to you.

"Alright, you next, then the two of us will take up the rear."

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 03:44 PM
"That sounds good. Ablative armor and all that..."

She unhooks her chain 'belt' and drops through into the sewer.

Since I know they're setting me up...
[roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-13, 04:07 PM
When you drop into the sewer, you are immediately set upon by the wolf.

[roll0] - [roll1]

Druan points at you, and your armor begins to warm. (Will negates)

Mona stabs at you with her rapier.
[roll2] – [roll3] + [roll4]

The man drops through the hole after you, weapon drawn; however, the dwarf stays above ground, hands and eyes glowing with power.

Druan/Wolf
Mona
You
Leader Guy
Dwarf Guy

Druan begins to cast a spell.
The wolf steps a bit to the side and attacks you again, flanking with Mona. [roll5] - [roll6]

Mona takes advantage of the wolf's positioning to strike at you. [roll7] – [roll8] + [roll9]

Your turn.

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 04:41 PM
All of the attacks, save the last one, bounce harmlessly off of her armor, the last only hitting due to her being flat-footed.

"Betrayers!" she spits violently at the group. "None of you will walk away from here alive!"

She drops into her Step of the Wind stance and whips her spiked chain at the druid. Spellcaster first.

+1 Chain, spiked – [roll0] – [roll1]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 04:44 PM
Oops, forgot the iterative.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 04:52 PM
Don't you have Mage Slayer? Casting should provoke an AoO, no? I'll let you post that before adjudicating the results and doing the next round.

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 04:55 PM
Oh! You're right I totally forgot about that.

Also, forgot to mention, but did a PA for 5 on that last attack.
PA for 3 on the AoO.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 05:04 PM
Your first strike sinks deep into Druan's gut, tearing through his feeble armor and disrupting the spell, leaving him doubled over in exquisite pain. You rip the chain free, flicking it up into his face, crushing bone and shredding organs. Blood pours forth onto the ground as he collapses in death.

The leader looks fearful and begins to mutter under his breath before shouting orders up at the dwarf. "Drop her! Now! FASTER!"

He swings with all his might at you with his bastard sword.
[roll0] - [roll1]
[roll2] - [roll3]

The dwarf casts a spell your way, lightning arcing from his fingertips at you. He is out of your reach and therefore safe from your AoO.
[roll4] Reflex Half

The leader curses up at the dwarf and shouts, "Use something more effective!"
"I thought that would do it! Let's see... what else did "

With a howl, the wolf seems to shrink and atrophy before you eyes, though it does not stop its attack.

[roll5] – [roll6]

Mona curses at you in a way only women can, slandering you with every foul word in every language she knows as she attacks you to the best of her ability.

[roll7] – [roll8] + [roll9]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 05:19 PM
This time, each and every attack is deflected by her armor and shield.

"You will all fall before me! For the glory of Glasya! May her beauty endure forever!

Stay your hand, dwarf, lest you meet the same fate as that one!

And, you, that type of language is UNFIT for a lady! PREPARE YOURSELF!"

Fama turns her attentions on Mona. Swift action Fighting Challenge.
Continue to power attack for 3. If she drops, second attack goes to the wolf.

+1 Chain, spiked – [roll0]+1=15 – [roll1]+1=20
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll2]+1=11 – [roll3]+1=23

Rizban
2015-03-13, 05:26 PM
Mona nimbly avoids your blows, the verbal abuse continuing.

"Don't listen to her! Strike her down!"

This time, he focuses on trying to hit you rather than on power attacking.
[roll0] - [roll1]
[roll2] - [roll3]

The dwarf wiggles his fingers, and a tiny burst of pink powder explodes in the air behind you. You feel suddenly drained of energy and incredibly lethargic... Will negates.

The wolf bites at you.
[roll4] – [roll5]

"You couldn't hit me if I was laying down!"

With another expletive, she attempts to strike.
[roll6] – [roll7] + [roll8]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 05:41 PM
The leader's first strike pierces a joint in the armor, dealing Fama minor damage. The second clatters off.

[roll0]+1=16
Edit: Forgot the +1 from Mage Slayer

Assuming she saves, the other attacks clatter off. Assuming she fails, they probably coup de gras her.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 05:45 PM
With that extra +1 from Mage Slayer, she indeed saves against the DC16 deep slumber spell.

No coup de grace against Fama this round. It's her turn to attack.

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 05:47 PM
Shaking off the lethargy, she decides that dwarf is the dangerous one. Remember, Fama, spellcasters first!

She takes a 5-foot step towards the sewer entrance then expends a tumor as a swift action to gain +5ft reach, giving her a +10 from the chain. She then strikes at the dwarf. PA 4.

+1 Chain, spiked – [roll2] – [roll3]

Rizban
2015-03-13, 05:50 PM
Your spiked chain tear's through the dwarf's throat, stilling the next spell on his tongue. When you tear it free, a gout of blood showers down into the sewer, followed down by his lifeless corpse.

Cursing loudly, the leader starts to panic but continues to attack relentlessly.
[roll0] - [roll1]
[roll2] - [roll3]

Mona panics and turns to run away, provoking an AoO.

The wolf steps over to flank with the leader and continues the attack.
[roll4] – [roll5]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 05:53 PM
She remains immune to the assaults.

When Mona turns her back and runs, Fama strikes at her feet with the chain, trying to trip her.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:00 PM
No matter how dextrous she is, with your immense strength, there is no chance that Mona could keep her feet. She falls into the muck of the sewer. She promptly begins crying.

That makes it your turn, as that was an AoO...

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 06:01 PM
Oh! Right!

Down, but not out, Mona is still a legal target for Fama without endangering her code. PA 5 vs prone. :smallamused:

"Your foul tongue must be silenced."

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 06:04 PM
Crit confirmation

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:09 PM
Your chain pierces through Mona's back, severing her spine. She falls to the ground, unconscious and bleeding out. Seeing her sorry state, you flinch on your second strike, unable to bring yourself to harm a helpless woman.
d%/ at -9, needs a 91+ to stabilize or die.

"Vile woman, what the hell are you?!"
[roll0] – [roll1]
[roll2] – [roll3]

The wolf continues to try to hurt you, probably unsuccessfully.
[roll4] – [roll5]

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:10 PM
Messed that up.
[roll]d%/roll]

Also, crit confirm.
[roll0] – [roll1]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 06:14 PM
lol.
Let me try. [roll0]
:smalltongue:

Screaming in pain, Fama turns on the man.

"I do not know your name, but be assured that your death has come!"

Swift action tumor heal [roll1]. PA 3.

+1 Chain, spiked – [roll4] – [roll5]

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:18 PM
Bah! Have your laugh. I got a crit confirmation on you!
Mona dies of her wounds. A mercy really, as she would have been a cripple otherwise.

Shaken by the unexpected blow, your first attack flies wild.

Your second attack (an 18 due to no Fighting Challenge on him), is deflected by a quick swing of his sword.

"I will avenge the fallen and take your head as a trophy!"
[roll0] – [roll1]
[roll2] – [roll3]

Again with the wolf.
[roll4] – [roll5]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 06:20 PM
Narrowly avoiding his attack thanks only to her wonderfully intelligent shield, Fama taunts him back, all in good natured bloodlust, of course.

"So, you at last bare your fangs, little one. How frightening! THEN FACE ME AND DIE!!

But as for you, you're getting quite annoying!"

Swift Fighting Challenge on him. PA 6, full attack against the wolf. Second against the man at +1/+1 should the wolf drop.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:23 PM
The wolf dies a suitably grisly death, just like all the others.

Your unexpected second strike slips through the last standing enemy's defenses, puncturing deeply into him. He gasps as blood streams from the wound but seems determined to end you. He faces you with grim determination to kill or die.

[roll0] – [roll1]
[roll2] – [roll3]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 06:26 PM
"Gah!"

Again he slips through her defenses. She must see about improved them!

Swift action tumor heal. [roll0]. PA 2.
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll1] – [roll2]
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll3] – [roll4]

crits?
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll5] – [roll6]
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll7] – [roll8]

HA HA HA! ANOTHER NAT 20! WOO! GLASYA'S BLESSINGS GALORE!

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:30 PM
The spike rips through his side, leaving a bloody hole in its wake. He gasps for breath but manages to keep his feet.

"You will die for this, witch!"
[roll0] – [roll1]
[roll2] – [roll3]

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:33 PM
Crit confirm.
[roll0] – [roll1]

Jeriah
2015-03-13, 06:49 PM
"Curse your skill! Had you shown your true skill sooner, perhaps your friends would still live!"

Swift action tumor heal. [roll0]. PA 0.
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll1] – [roll2]
+1 Chain, spiked – [roll3] – [roll4]

By my count, I'm sitting at 34 hp and have 2 tumors left. A new one should be growing next round, I think.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 06:56 PM
And 17 damage puts him at exactly -10, causing him to collapse in a bloody heap on the ground. Fama has slaughtered them all.

She spends a few minutes stripping them of loot, I assume. Due to massive damage, their armor is highly damaged and likely not worth salvaging, particularly in these dangerous environs...
1 small magic bag, blue, bigger on the inside.
Magic rapier. Magic bastard sword.
3 magic rings. Magic necklace.
Spell component pouch.
Magic gloves, boots, belt.
Two scrolls. Magic amulet.

Jeriah
2015-03-14, 09:47 AM
Keeping a wary eye out, Fama stuffs everything she can into the magic bag and quickly climbs out of the sewer, pausing only long enough while packing to heal up with her tumors. She leaves the bodies where they lie, not caring what happens to lifeless corpses. Perhaps this will become a dumping ground for her soon. If left alone long enough, their putrescence is sure to become a fine breeding ground for all manner of delicious pestilences.

Once out of the sewer, she wipes down her armor and returns to her room, there to sleep through the night.

Rizban
2015-03-14, 09:56 AM
You escape the sewer unmolested, but you feel as if you've only just barely escaped the jaws of death. Since you had so little difficulty with the 'betrayers,' you're not entirely sure what has caused the sensation.

You return to your room and sleep through the night undisturbed, awakening refreshed early the next morning.

Jeriah
2015-03-14, 11:40 AM
Arising early, she makes her way to Dockside Gate, trying to time it so that she's standing there when the guards open it for the morning. She'll walk in nonchalantly and head towards the plaza, vaguely remembering seeing a sign offering trade in on magical goods.

Rizban
2015-03-14, 11:45 AM
You make it there just as the gate is opening. One of the guards stops you as you approach, asks you a few questions, and then allows you to pass.

You arrive back in the Plaza. Feel free to post here or there.

Rizban
2015-03-14, 11:51 AM
Early the next morning, the heavily armed woman stomps back into the Plaza, returning to the city through the northern gates that lead to the Docks. She takes a deep breath of air when she reaches the Plaza.

"Ah... The reek of fish and filth is nothing compared to the stench of the inner city. Such pleasant aromas this fine morning."

She looks around a bit, making it clear to any who saw her the day before that she has returned after spending a night outside the city gates and across the river. Eventually, she spies Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos and heads inside, looking for the proprietor.

Unless approached by another PC, she returns to her own thread...

You want to wait a bit for replies, or do you want to just squeeze those in after the fact and keep going?

Jeriah
2015-03-14, 11:53 AM
I'll just wait a bit. I've got some things to do today anyway. Catch you later!

Rizban
2015-03-18, 05:03 PM
Sorry for the delay. Work has just kept me extremely busy lately, but I guess you haven't posted either. So...

Jeriah
2015-03-20, 07:52 PM
No worries. I've gotten a response in the Streets, and I'm in no hurry otherwise.

Jeriah
2015-03-20, 07:58 PM
Oh! Right! After talking to whatshername, Fama goes into Hagan's, having him identify her magical loot and trading it in to him in exchange for as much of the list of special stuff I emailed you as she can get.

Rizban
2015-03-20, 08:01 PM
Bag of Holding Type I
+2 Rapier with a Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (electric)
+1 bastard sword
Ring of protection +1
Ring of Feather Falling
Ring of Sustenance
Spell component pouch
Brute Gauntlets
Boots of agile leaping
Healing Belt
Druid 1st level scroll x2 (not identified, since I'm assuming you don't want to spend the money on the scrolls...)
Amulet of aquatic salvation

That's 600 gp for the identifications.

Jeriah
2015-03-20, 08:09 PM
Sweet. She keeps the energy crystal, ring of prot 1, and brute gaunts. The rest she trades in for store credit.
By my calcs, that should get Nimbleness and Buoyant on the armor and the surcoat of valor and have just a tiny bit leftover.

Rizban
2015-03-20, 08:47 PM
If you're using the spreadsheet I gave you, that should be correct. You've got 3gp remaining in store credit.

Jeriah
2015-03-20, 08:48 PM
Nice. I hope I can get a lot of loot from this thing with Kaliren. I desperately need to get all my gear up to par before someone decides to knife me in the back...

Rizban
2015-03-21, 09:51 AM
Team up thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?4404928-AVB-Pacific-Rim)

Jeriah
2015-06-02, 12:17 AM
Woo! Five years of Aldhaven!
That.
Is.
Crazy!

I'm actually MORE excited by that than I am about the bonus feat. Don't get me wrong though, bonus feat is sweet!

Jeriah
2015-06-03, 03:15 PM
I've decided to go with Devil's Favor as my 5yr bonus feat.

I know you have elder evils/faustian pacts banned for character creation, but do you think that there's a chance I could work out a faustian pact in character? I know you've allowed templates and other things of the sort in game. It would be pretty cool to pick up some devil-touched feats in service of Glasya.

Rizban
2015-06-04, 02:37 PM
Yeah, sure, assuming you roleplay it well and actually make a fiendish contact.

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 08:33 PM
Well, it took almost four months, but I'm back in a solo thread!As soon as Sascha is out of sight and Fama is certain she won't be returning soon, Fama's face splits in a wide, evil grin, rupturing a pustule on her face, causing fluids to leak down into her mouth.

It is time to repay them their hospitality.

Fama returns to two bowls from breakfast to the house where the couple who housed them for the night live, in order to return them.

Rizban
2015-10-01, 08:38 PM
The man opens the door when he realizes it's you, obviously shielding his wife behind him. He looks down and sees the bowls. Quickly taking them from you, he tersely says, "You didn't need to bring them back. We'd have gotten them after you left."

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 08:54 PM
Fama 5ft-steps forward, drawing her weapon and full attacking the man.

Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]
Spiked Chain – [roll3] – [roll4] + [roll5]

Swift: A tumor bursts, spraying the woman with filth. Fort DC17 or sickened 1 round.

Tumors: 6/7 (10)

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 08:56 PM
Crit Confirmation - Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]

Rizban
2015-10-01, 08:58 PM
You brutally slaughter the man, and the woman fails her save. She screams and flees further into the house.

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 09:00 PM
She charges the woman!

Use a tumor for either +10ft speed or +5ft reach, whichever puts her in range.

Tumors: 5/7 (9;10)

Rizban
2015-10-01, 09:04 PM
The woman's flight is cut short as she collapses in a bloody heap at your feet, slowly bleeding to death.

You hear shouts outside as people shout to one another trying to determine the source of the scream.

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 09:11 PM
So, now that I've started this... Just how many people live here? You said 30ish, right? I think I can handle 30ish...Fama waits until the town gathers several people together and comes to investigate.

Rizban
2015-10-01, 09:13 PM
You see a group of men head out to the barn where you slept last night. One kicks the door open, and the three rush inside as two more come running up to the house.

"Paul! Sarah! You okay in there?!"

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 09:15 PM
Fama squeaks out a "help!" just loud enough for them to hear, hides just out of sight for anyone not inside the room, then readies an attack for when one of them comes into range.

Rizban
2015-10-01, 09:24 PM
One of the men shouts back to the other three to join them while the second kicks down the door. They both rush inside, and you slash one brutally.

They turn and rush towards you, provoking AoOs but not having the actions left to attack.

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 09:40 PM
AoO against each, starting with the one who took the readied attack.

Then Fama full attacks the same guy, switching if he drops.
Spiked Chain – [roll6] – [roll7] + [roll8]
Spiked Chain – [roll9] – [roll10] + [roll11]

Rizban
2015-10-02, 12:58 PM
The two drop under your assault, and you have one round of respite before the three from the barn storm through the door.

Jeriah
2015-10-02, 10:26 PM
Having nothing better to do, Fama readies another action to attack.

Tumors: 5/7 (7;8)

Rizban
2015-10-03, 06:55 PM
The three hesitate at the door, wondering why it's so quiet within. Still, they charge through the door and into the room, swords drawn, each glowing faintly from magic. A quick glance at the blades reveals that each bears Hagan Erbauer's distinct makers mark, which you recognize based on the marks he made on your own gear.

You strike the man nearest you with a telling blow.

Your action.

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 07:05 PM
"Step into my parlor. I do so hope you like the decor. A bit red for my tastes, but it'll do for now."

Fama walks to the door, taking any AoOs she might provoke, just to prove how little she cares about their efforts. Once she has the door blocked, she'll attack the nearest man.

Rizban
2015-10-03, 07:08 PM
You indeed provoke an AoO from each of them.

[roll0] - [roll1]
[roll2] - [roll3]
[roll4] - [roll5]

You strike the man, again leaving serious gashes.

"Adventurers should die and leave us the hell alone!"

All three men 5ft-step up move (because difficult terrain...), provoking AoOs, and attack you, though none are able to move into a flanking position due to the shape of the room.

[roll6] - [roll7]
[roll8] - [roll9]
[roll10] - [roll11]

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 07:13 PM
All of their attacks clatter harmlessly off of her armor.

One AoO against each for movement:
Spiked Chain – [roll6] – [roll7] + [roll8]

Full Attack on Fama's turn.
Spiked Chain – [roll9] – [roll10] + [roll11]
Spiked Chain – [roll12] – [roll13] + [roll14]

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 07:14 PM
Critical confirmation:

Rizban
2015-10-03, 07:20 PM
You slaughter all three of the men with little difficulty. Looking out of the door, it doesn't seem that there are any others heading this direction at the moment.

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 07:22 PM
With no one else coming this direction, Fama closes the door and watches out the window for 2 or 3 minutes before she starts to loot the bodies and search the house.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Rizban
2015-10-03, 07:27 PM
You loot the three magical swords from the bodies and find they are carrying a total of [roll0] silver pieces. The wife carried nothing of value on her person, nor did the husband have anything but a simple mundane dagger in his belt.

Searching the house, you find a wooden chest that weighs about 75 lbs. Closer examination reveals that the inside is larger than the outside, similar to those found in the rooms at the Sad Flint. How the couple got such an item, you can't guess, but it seems to hold only articles of clothing and family keepsakes that are fairly worthless, old dolls, faded baby clothes, a book containing a family tree, and the like. You don't manage to uncover anything else of value in the house.

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 08:07 PM
Fama dumps the three magical swords into the chest, along with the coins. She checks the kitchen for any decently made cookware and also adds it to the chest. Satisfied, she hefts the chest up on one shoulder and heads out of the house, looking around to decide how to proceed.

Can I get a description of the village?

Found this and where you said it was 33 people in the town.

The hamlet isn't really even a proper town. There's fewer than 35 people living here, and other than the town's well in the center of the town square, there doesn't seem to be any common or public buildings. There seem to be four larger houses and three smaller houses grouped loosely around the area. A low "wall" built of piled up thorn bushes mostly circles the village, likely to keep animals from wandering into the common areas.

Rizban
2015-10-03, 09:07 PM
The hamlet isn't really even a proper town. There's fewer than 35 people living here, and other than the town's well in the center of the town square, there doesn't seem to be any common or public buildings. There seem to be four larger houses and three smaller houses grouped loosely around the area. A low "wall" built of piled up thorn bushes mostly circles the village, likely to keep animals from wandering into the common areas.

The barn in which you stayed was chosen likely due to its proximity to the hole through the thorns. It does not appear that there are any other paths through, and the "gate" laid across it at night seems to still be in place. The remaining townsfolk are most likely still in the town.

Based on what you saw yesterday, you conclude that there are 6 more adult men, 8 more adult women, and 12 children in the town.

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 09:50 PM
Wishing she were not alone, Fama drops the chest on the ground near the gate and heads to the next closest house, going building to building looking for anyone left in the town and attacking them on sight, except for the children. She doesn't attack the children.

Rizban
2015-10-03, 10:07 PM
Most of the individuals are hiding in their homes, hoping you leave without finding them. With little effort, you manage to slaughter the adults one by one. The elder appears to have taken his own life before you can kill him. The children weep copiously, a few of the braver ones screaming hateful words at you.

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 10:22 PM
Fama uses threats and brute force to bring all the children together into a single house and then proceeds to take her time searching all of the other homes, taking 20.

Once finished, she'll head back to the children and infect them all with Cackle Fever, a gift from her Lady.

Rizban
2015-10-03, 10:48 PM
You find coins that come to a total of [roll0] gp and a magic necklace of some sort. Raiding all of the kitchens, you find about 50gp worth of pots and pans.

Given enough time and exposure, you are reasonably certain that all of the children have now contracted the disease...

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 11:10 PM
"You must stay inside, or I will come for you as I did for your parents."

With that, Fama dumps everything she has looted into the chest, carries it with her to the meeting place, dives into the river to clean up, and hides the chest on the riverbed, tying a shirt ripped from one of the adults as she left to a gnarled tree root above the chest to mark its location. As she rises from the river, washing off the last of the gore, Sascha and Kate stumble upon her again.

Assuming all this works out, yay. If there are any other issues, I'll be glad to deal with it.

Rizban
2015-10-03, 11:18 PM
Indeed, there are no additional encounters before you make it back to the river. All goes forward from that as already described. You are, however, several more steps into Evil... If you weren't already Evil, you would be doubly so by now.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 12:45 AM
After leaving Sascha behind, Fama dives into the river and swims downstream back to the dam, remaining just below the surface.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 12:47 AM
I'll adjudicate it when I know for sure what Thundercracker is doing.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 01:16 AM
That's fine. Just replying so you're not the latest poster so you remember you need to pay attention to this thread.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 01:25 AM
Thanks, I do usually need that. :smalltongue:You travel downstream without difficulty until you reach the waterfall. If you're brave and want to avoid being seen, you can potentially swim over it, but it might be safer to just climb out and climb down the cliff face the same way you climbed up earlier.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 01:28 AM
She dives off the waterfall and does her best to stay underwater, swimming hard downstream and towards the surface the instant she hits the water below in an attempt to avoid being pushed down to the bottom.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 01:31 AM
You do take [roll0] nonlethal damage from the buffeting of the waterfall and being slammed into a few rocks in the plunge basin, but you're otherwise unharmed. You, of course, quickly heal that by expending tumors, I'm sure.

You arrive at the dam without difficulty or interruption and find it as you left it.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 01:35 AM
She does indeed heal the damage by spending a tumor.
Swift: Heal [roll0].

Once at the dam, she'll lurk underwater, keeping her eyes to the sky and wishing she had some meaning means by which to fly or launch ranged attacks...

Rizban
2015-11-25, 01:45 AM
I'm going to need Hide and Spot checks from you.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 01:50 AM
She will stay just under the surface of the water near the dam, poking her face out just slightly so she can see better if she sees any kind of movement.
[roll0] (Unless I can Take 20)
[roll1]

Rizban
2015-11-25, 02:06 AM
Give me a square you're in on the Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SgMYQq4_qqEGKLaJzUseqCP1SgQk6gd7rn2vl1AlyGg/edit#gid=0).

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 02:09 AM
I'm going to say... I24. It seems away from where most people would focus their attention, that being the incomplete section of the dam.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 02:41 AM
You Spot Katoerian fly out from the treeline upstream and take up a position near the cliff face north of the river where he hovers and peers over the area. He hasn't seen you, but from where you sit, he's likely to spot something, given enough time.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 02:46 AM
The moment he flies past her, she dips below the water to avoid his gaze and waits to see if he does anything.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 02:49 AM
After about 20 minutes, he calls out fairly loudly. You can just barely hear it above the sound of flowing water.

"Hello? ... out there? Can ... me? ...lo?"

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 02:58 AM
Fama breaks the surface as he calls out, trying to pinpoint his exact location.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 03:00 AM
A moment of scanning the area, you Spot him in Z20 about level with the top of the dam.

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 03:14 AM
Hmm... That appears to be 95 feet away and is definitely outside of her Jump range. Even with a flying leap out of the water (Stormwrack), there's no way she can can hit a DC75 Jump check...For the moment, she waits to see what he's doing before submerging once more. She moves 20 feet straight down underwater then moves to U24, still 20 feet underwater.

Rizban
2015-11-25, 03:41 AM
You hear a creaking and feel a shudder in the water. It seems he's attacking the dam in an attempt to destroy it... which could be very bad for the city but worse for you.

Jeriah
2015-11-28, 09:56 PM
After the first hit, she reacts. Suspicious that she'd be unable to take a flying leap into his space, expecting him to have moved for a better angle on the dam, she simply rises to the surface, bounces through the air, and lands on top on the dam.

"Well, hello, Kate. Do tell, what are you doing?"

Rizban
2015-11-30, 03:25 PM
Katoerian flinched and withdrew a potion from his pack as Fama appeared, then appeared to calm down somewhat as she rose into his line of vision. He likewise ascended vertically so he was at the same height as her as she perched atop the dam. If his face showed any surprise, it was gone by the time Fama reached the top of the dam.

"Lady Fama," Katoerian replied with a slight bow, "I _was_ destroying this dam, but now I am speaking with you. I assume you've come to the same realisation i have, and are here for the same reason? You might have said something when I called out, saved me the fright."

Rizban
2015-12-01, 05:44 AM
Alright, you're good to go now. Post whenever.

Jeriah
2015-12-02, 03:22 PM
"You are quite right, Sir Kate, I could have called out. Instead, I chose to remain as I was until you had committed yourself to this action. We had decided it best to leave the dam intact to prevent needless destruction downriver, and yet here you are attempted to cause that very death and destruction.

It is Sascha's mission and reputation, and I will not have you slaughtering innocents and ruining her. We will leave the dam here until qualified engineers can come from the city to safely dismantle it. Stop now, or I will be required to stop you. If I can't stop you, know that I will never stopp hunting you until you can be brought to justice."

Jeriah
2015-12-09, 02:36 PM
While watching the two work on the dam, Fama takes a moment to pray, seeking out divine fiendish inspiration. Oh, Great Lady, what blessings might there be for destroying this edifice? The rushing waters flooding the sewers and washing the filth to the surface, contaminating the river and the land, surely the aftermath would be rife with blessed plagues. I have made my stance known to these tools you have provided me, and yet I do not know if this is merely my will or the greater Will of the Great Lady. Your most auspicious wisdom would be most appreciated. Am I to destroy this dam in the hopes of the havoc it may cause or seek for more subtle ways to spread your blessings?

((If needed: [roll0]))

Rizban
2015-12-10, 11:27 PM
You do not have a direct line to your chosen deity, but you do have a closer to connection than many. You feel as if she is unlikely to know about the current situation or care; however, you also know that her doctrines include the spreading of disease whenever feasible.

Rizban
2015-12-17, 02:40 PM
So, I'm really curious. Just what is Fama's opinion on Sascha? The two have a very interesting dynamic, and I can't quite figure it out.

Jeriah
2015-12-17, 07:10 PM
Fama sees Sascha as who she might have become had things gone differently for her. What little she knows of Sascha reminds her of her own past. Since she sees much of herself in Sascha, she's a bit overprotective of her, but she's also just very overprotective in general anyway.

Really though, Fama had no real goals in mind when she came to Aldhaven, and this quest has given her some small sense of purpose. She was hoping that whatever was affecting the beavers was some sort of disease, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So, with that option out of the picture, she's just kind of tagging along for the ride at this point, because it keeps her from having to think too much for herself or make too many decisions.

Jeriah
2016-01-07, 07:06 PM
Returning from all team ups
Well, that didn't really go as planned... Oh well. Not sure what Fama would really plan to do at this point.Fama sinks to the bottom of the river and allows the current to push her downstream, half floating above the bottom of the river and tumbling as she goes.

Jeriah
2016-01-11, 06:11 PM
Assuming nothing of note occurs, Fama will swim slowly back to the dam, thinking of all that's transpired with her lost friend as she goes.

Rizban
2016-01-11, 09:18 PM
Fama has spent moer time in her Fugue state than she realized. As she approaches the dam, she spies Katoerian and three others at the dam inspecting it. They appear to be looking for ways to bring it down. Shortly after you arrive, Katoerian flies off into the distance. The three consist of an armed female with odd, luminescent sigils floating around her head and two males loaded down with tools of various sorts.

Jeriah
2016-01-11, 09:35 PM
She emerges from the water at the closest possible point to the three.

"Greetings."

planswalker
2016-01-11, 09:54 PM
The two men seem completely surprised by this encounter and almost drop the tools they had in their hands.

The female seems more on top of things, however. "Hello." she replied coolly.

well, the teamup has ended, but it looks like y'all's threads are still entangled

Jeriah
2016-01-11, 10:03 PM
"Please, do not misunderstand me or take this the wrong way, but I must inform you of this. If you are attempting to demolish this dam and flood the city, I will be forced to kill you to protect it. I would not enjoy that."

planswalker
2016-01-11, 10:10 PM
"... No, we're here to try and stop exactly that. Jimmy and Hendricks here are engineers from the city trying to assess exactly what's going on here. Who are you?"

Jeriah
2016-01-11, 10:29 PM
"I am not of importance. I am merely here to ensure that damage is not done to the city while my druid companion seeks a permanent solution to the ongoing beaver problems," she says honestly, even if she and Sascha have parted under bad circumstances. She believes that they'll ultimately be reunited.

planswalker
2016-01-11, 10:30 PM
"Katoerian didn't mention that there were others up here..." She says with suspicion.

Jeriah
2016-01-11, 11:41 PM
"Katoerian..." she says with disgust, "That one was part of our group before things went bad between us. We caught him trying to tear this dam down at night on his own and chased him away. I stayed here to ensure he didn't try again. You must have arrived while I was finding a meal."

planswalker
2016-01-11, 11:58 PM
Suspicion grows in her eyes, though you don't think it's directed at you. "Strange. He reported this dam problem to the Captain and helped escort us down here specifically to prevent that from happening. Though, on second thought, he did try to plant the idea in my head that, should it start looking like rain, it might be better to break the dam now than let it flood out. I don't know what kind of game he's playing, but I'm suspicious of the man."

Jeriah
2016-01-12, 12:06 AM
"I can make no comments about his quality as an individual, only that we did not agree on all points and went our separate ways.

If there is something you can do to prevent its collapse, please do so. Otherwise, I must ask you to back away a safe distance so that I can tell friend from foe should the dam come under attack again."

planswalker
2016-01-12, 06:27 AM
She looks at you flatly. "My two engineers are here to assess the damage and do what they can to repair it. You're the one who should probably back away in case you do something that accidentally destroys it."

Jeriah
2016-01-12, 11:30 PM
She sighs.

"I have no desire for blood. I simply cannot allow this dam to fail. Your engineers also do not seem well equipped for the task at hand...

I can see you do not trust me. If you need, contact Sargent Smithers and ask for references. Sascha, my druid companion, and I began or journey assisting him. I worked with him for a couple of days, and Sascha worked with him for an amount of time that I do not know. Upon seeing the monstrous nature of the beavers, she set out to find the source of their affliction, and I accompanied her for her protection. You may verify this if you desire, and you will find it to be accurate.

As I said, she still seeks the source. I remained here to prevent the failure of the dam to the best of my abilities, as that seemed more important to her for the time being."

planswalker
2016-01-13, 03:33 AM
"And for some reason you think that you, yourself, with no tools or training whatsoever, are somehow better equipped than my men who actually know what they're doing at preventing this thing from breaking? As for you, care to give me your name yourself, or am I supposed to verify 'Sascha's partner' with no name whatsoever?"

Jeriah
2016-01-13, 10:07 PM
"Not in any way. I am, however, quite adept at keeping away those with ill intent until your engineers may return with the equipment necessary to the task.

Fama. I'm Fama."

planswalker
2016-01-13, 10:33 PM
"My engineers are going to be doing what they can with what they have, and a full expedition should be coming as soon as possible as a follow-up. So long as you don't mess with things you have no business touching, I guess I don't mind if you stay around." She very pointedly doesn't deign to give you her own name.

Jeriah
2016-01-13, 11:24 PM
"Do as you will, but I cannot be held responsible should ill befall you in defense of the dam. I intend to continue my scouting of the area upstream and will return in approximately twenty minutes. I leave you responsible. Do not let it fail."

Unless the woman stops her, Fama climbs the cliff to the top of the dam and dives into the water, swimming upstream on the surface a distance before diving underwater. She waits five minutes then returns to the dam along the bottom of the river.

Where were the 3 of them located? I'm assuming near the base on the "dry" side of the dam.

planswalker
2016-01-14, 12:39 AM
Yeah, the two engineers were actually right against the base of the dam. The detective was about 30 feet back from that.

They let you swim off and don't bother you.

You swim off and return without being seen.

Jeriah
2016-01-14, 12:45 AM
Getting nearer the surface, where the earthen embankment is thinner, Fama tries to dig into the dam with her backup short sword, attempting to cause it to weaken or spring a leak. After digging for a moment, she moves to another location and repeats the process, shoving the sword as deep into the earth as possible and then wedging it back and forth to make holes deep enough for water to seep in but not deep enough to puncture. Her goal is to weaken it further, not cause catastrophic collapse and be swept away.

She makes as many hole as possible within 10 minutes, unless it seems that the dam is about to give way. She'll then swim back upriver along the bottom and climb out of the water to make her way back downstream on foot, well above the waterline.

Relevant Strength checks?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

planswalker
2016-01-14, 12:48 AM
You believe that you have managed to inflict very significant damage to the very base of the dam.

On your way back upriver... [roll0]

As you are swimming upstream, you feel a sudden and dramatic change in the flow of the river.

Jeriah
2016-01-14, 01:08 AM
She bails immediately for the shoreline.

[roll0] ((and, yes, that IS her modifier in her full mechanus gear plate))
Using her Favor feat and increasing speed +10 feet for Swim 50ft.

planswalker
2016-01-14, 01:23 AM
You frantically scramble to the bank as the river begins sweeping away downstream. You hear a great cacophany as what sounds like the dam collapses.

Jeriah
2016-01-14, 01:32 AM
Running downstream along the bank as fast as she possibly can, she looks for survivors among the three she was just speaking with.

planswalker
2016-01-14, 08:08 AM
In fact, all [roll0] of them has manage to survive. The detective woman is lying on the high-water mark of the river's new banks, unconscious but breathing. The other two are nowhere to be seen.

Jeriah
2016-01-14, 01:14 PM
Lacking any form of healing to offer others, Fama heads over to where the woman is and carefully lays down next to her as if she herself had just crawled out of the water and takes a firm grip on the back of the woman's clothing/armor. She then drags herself and the woman up the bank a few feet before collapsing, never releasing the grip. There she waits, feigning unconsciousness herself, until the woman awakens. If the bank starts to shift and give way, she'll drag the woman up further to remain safe.

planswalker
2016-01-14, 01:30 PM
It's a good hour before the woman awakens with a start, looks around at the devastation, then at you. Seeing you unconscious, she gently begins to shake you. "Fama?"

Jeriah
2016-01-14, 01:43 PM
Fama does not release her death grip on the woman. After being shaken a time or two, she groans and sits up, finally letting go and flexing her fingers.

She looks at the woman but says nothing.

planswalker
2016-01-15, 04:31 AM
"How'd you get back here? What happened to the other two?"

Jeriah
2016-01-15, 04:39 AM
"I was in the water when the dam failed. You are the only one I saw.

What happened?"

planswalker
2016-01-15, 04:46 AM
"About ten minutes after you left, the dam collapsed. Jimmy and Hendricks were right under it when it went. I was far enough behind that I managed to get a little higher up before the wave hit me. I'm not sure how I survived."

yes, there is a discrepancy between how long you waited and how long she recalls before the dam collapsed. That is intentional.

Oh, and 8,000 xp for causing massive destruction. More potentially incoming depending on the fallout.

Jeriah
2016-01-15, 05:09 AM
Fama shrugs. "I'm good at swimming."

Jeriah
2016-01-15, 05:11 AM
Rolling for level up

[roll0]

planswalker
2016-01-15, 07:43 AM
She looks at your answer strangely, but shrugs and doesn't press the matter further. "The city... that flood's going straight for it!"

Jeriah
2016-01-15, 01:56 PM
Fama watches the water in silence for a moment.

"My home is directly in its path..."

planswalker
2016-01-15, 09:26 PM
"I... don't know that there's anything we can do at this point. I can't outrun the front. How about you?" It seems to be traveling away at about 100 feet per round.

Jeriah
2016-01-15, 10:26 PM
She shakes her head sadly.

"We can pray..."

Rizban
2016-01-16, 02:33 PM
Fama and Sascha gain 1,550 XP for the events of the past few days' events for which I forgot to award XP at the time.

Jeriah
2016-01-16, 03:17 PM
Woo! I'll gladly take that!

planswalker
2016-01-17, 06:07 AM
After a moment where it seems like despair might overtake her, the detective gathers herself up and says, "Well, it's twelve miles to go back to town. Might as well get started." she casts a spell on herself and begins walking on the river back towards town.

Jeriah
2016-01-18, 03:25 PM
Fama slips into the river to swim, but she stays exceedingly mindful of anything left behind by the flood as she follows the detective back towards town...

planswalker
2016-01-19, 08:34 AM
With the flood having cleared out everything in the immediate area that was loose, the path is rather uneventful for the first few miles.

Jeriah
2016-01-19, 04:57 PM
Fama, having never been a natural leader, continues to follow the woman she "saved".

planswalker
2016-01-20, 08:34 AM
A little over an hour in, she steps over to the bank of the river and says, "Well, that's as far as that spell can take me. At this point, we'll either have to take my boat or I'm gonna have to walk. Only problem is, it's a two-man job to operate it. You willing to help me row?"

Jeriah
2016-01-22, 01:09 AM
"I am willing, but it is not something that I have ever done. Would it be easier if I swam behind it and pushed? It is downriver, and you can still steer."

planswalker
2016-01-22, 12:21 PM
"Um, I'm not sure that would work well. Don't worry, rowing isn't hard to do. it requires no special skills."

planswalker
2016-01-24, 08:40 PM
You feel an almost divine sense of approval wash over you at the destruction you've caused.

another 2,000 xp headed your way from the aftermath of what the flood did when it hit the slums.

Jeriah
2016-01-24, 09:00 PM
Fama nods once and climbs into position to start rowing.

planswalker
2016-01-24, 09:39 PM
The two of you row downriver quietly all day. As y'all pass by the countryside, the swath of destruction from the flood is obvious: fallen trees pushed over by the surge, the normal channel of the river overflowed and burgeoning, and the eerie silence as all living things in the area either fled or perished dominate the trip.

About two miles away from the town, the sun has begun to crawl below the horizon and the waters have gotten difficult to see.

"I know we're so close to town, but I can't see in the dark, and this is the part we'd most expect to end up treacherous from all this."

Jeriah
2016-01-24, 11:49 PM
"Very well. I trust your judgement. I am no better equipped to see in the dark than you."

planswalker
2016-01-25, 12:46 AM
"Then let's make camp." She maneuvers the boat to the new shoreline of the river and, once you step out of it, says a command word and her boat returns to small wooden box form.

"Unfortunately, Jimmy and Hendricks had our camping supplies with them. Unless you've got some special skills with the outdoors, we're just going to have to rough it."

Jeriah
2016-01-25, 02:52 AM
Rolling HP
[roll0]

"I am afraid that I do not. This is part of the reason I chose to travel with a druid capable of providing in the wilderness."

Fama digs around in her pack for a moment before producing a single trail ration consisting of hardtack.

"I do, however, have some small sustenance. I would be willing to share it with you if you would like."

She attempts to taint it with cackle fever as she digs it out and splits it in half, spending two tumors to make it a Dread Disease and using Delay Disease to double its incubation period and delay the first Fort save (DC16) against disease for 48 hours. Satisfied with her efforts, she offers the larger half to the woman.

planswalker
2016-01-25, 03:05 AM
She thanks you gratefully and eats her portion of the food. "Well, then I guess we'll just have to rough it tonight. Which means I won't be refreshing any of my spells. I'm going to be next to useless tomorrow in a fight."

Jeriah
2016-01-25, 03:12 AM
Fama digs into her pack once more, producing a tightly bound bedroll.

"Use this. Its magic should allow you to gain the rest you need. I will keep watch through the night."

She thinks for a moment.

"Tell me if you're willing. What type of spellcaster are you?"

Trying again, because that roll had the dumb.
[roll0]

The bedroll is a Magic Bedroll as per Magic Item Compendium p163.

planswalker
2016-01-25, 03:25 AM
She thanks you gratefully. "I'm a wizard, trained at the university."

She takes the bedroll gratefully and begins to turn in for the night. "You saved my life and have been nothing but generous with me. I am grateful."

Jeriah
2016-01-25, 03:42 AM
"Please, do not misunderstand my generosity. I do not know you well enough to like you, nor to have even formed a proper opinion of you. While I have no opposition to friendship with you, or friendship in general, I have been hurt deeply by those I have held dear in the past and am not one to trust easily. You seem honorable and strong of spirit, but I simply can't make so quick a judgement. I truly hope you can accept that without offense, as none is intended."

Fama sighs deeply before continuing.

"To be completely honest, I must admit that I do have an ulterior motive to assisting you. Two reasons, in fact, and I will not try to deceive you about them or try to befriend you only for my own benefit.

The first reason is quite simply survival. I know not what dangers this torrent has brought about, and two together have a greater chance of survival than one alone.
Second, I believe that Katoerian's damage to the dam was ultimately what allowed it to fail as it did and that it was his goal to cause as much damage as possible so that he might profit from it. You are the only surviving credible witness to the state of the dam and the damage it received prior to its collapse. I would see him tried and brought to justice under Law, and you are the best chance I have of seeing that happen."

She waits a moment to see how the woman reacts but interrupts her before she can speak again.

"Please understand. I wish you no ill will personally, but I do not want to hide my feelings or what I desire and thereby deceive you into friendship I have not truly earned. If you can accept this, then I will gladly accept your gratitude."

planswalker
2016-01-25, 11:57 AM
You aren't quite sure what to make of her expression before you interrupt her, but she definitely didn't seem offended before you interrupted her.

"Well, you're quite the pragmatic woman. I can appreciate that. You're right that we're not friends, but... allies? Yes. We both want to see the one responsible for this disaster come to justice."

Jeriah
2016-01-25, 03:08 PM
She nods once and replies in a slightly pained voice.

"Yes, we're agreed... though I would like a friend..."

She stands up, turns away, and takes a few steps towards the river, positioning herself to stand watch through the night.

planswalker
2016-01-25, 03:12 PM
Your watch begins. The night is quiet...

Give me a spot check

Jeriah
2016-01-26, 04:39 PM
Fama does not have the sharpest senses, which is why she has such strong defenses.

[roll0] <- But then she rolls a nat 20 on Listen anyway.
[roll1]

Edit: I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS!!! I just checked the 3.5 update to Fama's race, and apparently, she DOES have darkvision 60 ft.!!!! It's not in the original entry, and I totally missed it when I read the update block!!!

planswalker
2016-01-26, 08:01 PM
I thought you were lying to the detective intentionally...

didn't realize you were ignorant of the fact that 3.5 hands out darkvision like it's going out of style.

About halfway through the night, you hear some rustling about 150 feet from where the two of you are camped.

Jeriah
2016-01-28, 12:44 AM
No, Fama would never outright lie. Misdirection and lies of omission, sure, but she'd never flat out say something objectively untrue. Even then, it makes her a bit uncomfortable, unless she believes she's doing it for the good (Evil?) of the person or is her Lady's will.

That was a genuine mistake on my part. Let us assume that she was telling the truth, even though it's mechanically a lie in the game rules, because she does not realize that humans don't have darkvision. She was telling the truth as she honestly believes it to be with no deceit intended.

She's a Knight. "Don't lie" is practically baked right into the class!Fama waits a moment to see what the rustling does. If it does not seem to be approaching, she ignores it. Otherwise, she draws her weapon and leaps towards it, ready to attack.

planswalker
2016-01-28, 12:50 AM
okay, that's fair. It's not important.

The rustling seems to be circling closer towards your position. You leap towards it and discover that a dire beaver is approaching the camp!

Jeriah
2016-01-28, 12:55 AM
Fama sighs as she shows her weapon to the creature.

"I have slaughtered dozens of your kind, and worse. Others of your species flee before me in terror. Do the same, and you may yet live."

Fama delays until after its turn to give it time to rethink its folly, not that she thinks it understands her.

Jeriah
2016-01-28, 01:28 AM
Per DM request
[roll0]

OF COURSE

planswalker
2016-01-28, 01:39 AM
... I set the dc at 15... I thought for SURE you'd make it

The thing looks for a moment as if it will flee, but then it strikes!

Uselessly, seeing as your thick armor protects you.

Jeriah
2016-01-28, 02:21 AM
"I gave you a fair chance."

planswalker
2016-01-28, 08:50 AM
With a pair of blows, you down the dire beaver.

you're what, level 8 now?

200 xp for that

Jeriah
2016-01-28, 03:54 PM
Yes, level 8. 6,550XP from level 9. Know any more dams I can bring down?

Having completed her kill, she returns to the camp, checks on the sleeping woman, then returns to her post.

planswalker
2016-01-29, 02:09 AM
lol, I don't think so. Riz and I occasionally have a few really big "story moments" in the game like that which spills over and impacts basically everyone, but they're not often.

however, all that being said, you are not only able to but encouraged to try and create your own "dam moment".

I look forward to your plotting.

The sleeping woman is sleeping, and the remainder of your watch passes uneventfully.

Jeriah
2016-01-29, 06:07 AM
Frankly, I'm hoping that the whole mutation thing is a disease she can pick up and start transferring to the human populace to create a nasty plague. Sadly, I'm betting it's something alchemical or magic mishap related.Fama allows the woman to sleep until she wakes then says she has nothing more to eat.

planswalker
2016-01-29, 09:05 AM
Well, it's certainly something...

The woman wakes up an hour after dawn and creates her boat once more.

"Well, since we're nearly to the city, I guess we'll just have to rough it."

Jeriah
2016-01-30, 07:34 AM
Fama nods once in agreement then silently goes about preparing to row.

planswalker
2016-01-30, 01:31 PM
The two of you row back into town, where the detective docks at the Fortress. "Thank you for everything out there." She says before departing to make a full report to Captain Herrman.

Jeriah
2016-01-30, 08:10 PM
Fama starts to follow her as she heads towards the Fortress.

"As one of the two direct witnesses to Katoerian's attack on the dam, would it be appropriate for me to accompany you and report as well?"

planswalker
2016-01-30, 11:58 PM
"Accompany me to the Fortress, yes. Walk with me into the Captain's office to report, no. We will want your statement on that, but do please go report it through the proper channels at the Fortress rather than trying to cut straight to the top. Something this serious should go through the proper channels to avoid even a hint of suspicion over the evidence."

Jeriah
2016-01-31, 06:29 PM
"Well, yes, of course. I just don't know how to proceed or who to talk to. I'm open to any advice you might have or will talk to whoever you think I should."

planswalker
2016-01-31, 06:33 PM
"When we get to the Fortress, say that you're a witness to the events that happened upstream and I'm sure they'll either get you paired up with the active detective on this case so that they can get your statements or else they'll scramble to get one assigned. I'd honestly be surprised if there wasn't one already."

Jeriah
2016-01-31, 11:44 PM
"Should I name you as a witness as well? I mean, you didn't see the attack, but you saw the damage before the collapse."

planswalker
2016-02-01, 01:31 AM
"I will of course be disclosing everything I saw when I make my report. Including vouching for your character for having pulled me out of the flood and escort me back here safely."

Jeriah
2016-02-02, 09:49 PM
"I wouldn't mind seeing that report, if it's made public. I won't ask for any special favors though."

Fama thanks her again and goes where she was told to go.

planswalker
2016-02-02, 09:54 PM
"I doubt hat the details will be, but I'm sure some version of it will be." She says as the two of you arrive at the Fortress. "Well, this is where we part ways."

Jeriah
2016-02-02, 10:11 PM
Fama nods to her and goes where she was told to go.

planswalker
2016-02-02, 10:24 PM
You find that the Fortress is quite busy as they seem to be trying to recover from the disaster. Perhaps someone should try saying that they're a witness to what happened, like the detective suggested...

Jeriah
2016-02-03, 11:55 AM
She holds a hand in the air and speaks loudly, though not quite yelling.

"I am an eyewitness to the event which caused the flood. Where do I go?"

planswalker
2016-02-03, 12:16 PM
You manage to silence the room and bring everyone to a dead stop. "Come this way." said a half-orc guardsman, indicating one of the eastern hallway.

Jeriah
2016-02-04, 01:15 AM
She nods and follows him.

planswalker
2016-02-04, 01:21 AM
The guardsman pulls you to one of the offices where a very tall human male is poring over notes that seem to be written by several different hands. "Yes, what?"

"This woman claims she witnessed what happened up at the river."

This snaps the man's attention fully away from whatever those notes were about. "She did?" Then, after a moment, he realizes that you're right there. "I'm sorry, you did? Please, come in and sit down. I am Alexander Cairnstein. I have been appointed lead detective in the investigation behind the tragedy that hit the Docks yesterday. Start with your name, then tell me what you know."

Jeriah
2016-02-04, 01:49 AM
"I am Fama al-Amrari. I must give you back story so that you understand how I go there and what I witnessed.

A few days ago, I set out with Sergeant Smithers to hunt for troublesome beavers. This I did well, as I hope he can attest. The following day, I set out again, but this time we were joined by a druid named Sascha.

As the day's hunt drew to a close, she and I decided to continue upriver to see if we could find the source of the beaver infestation. No, that's not quite accurate. Sascha decided to investigate. I accompanied her, because I did not feel she could properly defend herself. I personally had no interest in solving the issue, because I needed the steady income from the hunts. However, we had become something of friends, and I could not let her wander off alone.

As we traveled, we found a number of beavers and other twisted creatures, but the details of that don't particularly matter. While fighting a particularly nasty awakened plant of some kind, a man came flying in and assisted using some kind of magic which causes death and rapid decay. His name was Katoerian, and I believe him to be a minor noble of some kind. It is ultimately he who is responsible for this tragedy.

He accompanied us, though I quietly voiced my misgivings to Sascha about his character. We found a huge dam constructed by the massive tainted beavers that seemed 100 feet tall or so built into the mouth of a long gully. It was not quite completed when we stumbled across it. Though incomplete, and I presume not fully stable, it held back a significant amount of water, some of which spilled over one side where the beavers worked. Sascha insisted that we leave the dam alone, because destroying it would cause major damage. We agreed we would make sure there was nothing immediately upriver that could cause failure then return to report our findings.

Shortly after that, Katoerian made some excuse about needing to leave to go conduct business with the Watch and promised to report the dam for us. He then took flight and headed in direction obviously not towards the city. I already did not trust him by he way he spoke, and this sudden departure and odd direction nagged at me. I voiced my doubts to Sascha and returned to the dam to watch and wait from a hidden place. I waited nearly the full day before Katoerian appeared. He flew around above the dam for nearly half an hour, flitting from tree to tree. Thankfully he did not spot me. Convinced he was alone, he took up a position in a tree above the dam and began blasting it was that same decaying magic he used in previous fights.

I immediately leaped from my hiding place to intercept him, and Sascha, whom I did not know had taken the form of an animal and secretly followed me, also leaped out to stop him. He made some excuses about bringing it down now being better than bringing it down later and tried to appeal to our greed. We both resisted him and stood ready to fight him to prevent the dam's destruction.

Eventually, he backed down and flew away, directly back towards the city. Sascha used some kind of druid spell to create a drain on the north side of the dam so that the water could be funneled away and around it and relieve the stress it was under. She was committed to keeping it from failing.

Sascha and I stayed in the area to ensure he did not return. We later had a falling out, after I revealed that I had once killed a man in self defense in the past and did not want her fighting Katoerian should he return. I did not want her to bear that burden the rest of her life as I bear mine..."

Her words stumble a moment before she takes a deep breath and continues.

"The idea that one person could take another's life, for any reason, horrified her, and she fled into the woods to get away from someone like... someone like me...

Despite her running from me, I could not help but feel that I still considered her a friend and owed it to her to keep Katoerian from destroying the dam. I returned to the dam the next morning to find three people there. In my emotional turmoil, I may have verbally threatened their lives, but it was only because I thought they were trying to finish what Katoerian started the day before. However, I know for certain that I at no time drew my weapon. After they made it clear they were engineers there to inspect the damage and safely dismantle it, I backed down and said I was going to continue to patrol upstream. I climbed the cliff and dove into the water behind the dam, swimming upstream to where the waterfall tumbled into the narrow valley. I turned to return to the dam to see if I could be of assistance when I felt a shudder in the water and felt the current begin to rapidly accelerate. Fortunately, I was nearby the shore and able to escape.

I ran downstream as quickly as I could but found only one of the three I previously met. I dragged her from the waters up the hill and promptly collapsed. The next thing I remember was her shaking me awake, my fingers still locked in a death grip on the back of her clothing. We traveled back here as quickly as we could, and she directed here to make the statement I am now giving you."

planswalker
2016-02-04, 01:56 AM
"That would be the detective who reported back at the same time as you, yes?" the man asks as he finishes up his notes he took down from your testimony. "Did you happen to catch the man's full name, by chance?"

Jeriah
2016-02-04, 02:17 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20185062&postcount=296

I don't believe he ever actually said his last name IC, but he did use it here. I don't know whether or not Fama would know his family name... If so, she gives it. Otherwise, she will say she only knows his first name, that he claims to have business dealings with the Watch, and his distinctive magical effects.

planswalker
2016-02-04, 02:38 PM
if y'all were a regular party of pc's in a typical game, I'd say you know his last name, sure.

However, this is AVB. If he didn't actually say it, then you don't know it.

That being said, you do know enough to give a rather specific description of the man. You doubt that there are all too many warlocks named Katoerian who have dealings with the Watch.

so then, if you want something to happen IC, say or do something IC.

Jeriah
2016-02-04, 05:05 PM
"Yes, sir, I believe so. I'll admit she did not give me her rank or job title. We kind of had other things on our minds at the time..."

She then gives a detailed physical description of Katoerian to the best of her memory, providing special emphasis on his combat style and the specific visual effects of his magic blasts. The combat aspect is what stands out most in her memory and the she thing she would have paid most attention to anyway.

planswalker
2016-02-04, 11:00 PM
"Hm... sounds like you're describing 'flyboy'. There was a warlock who went on the beaver run a while ago. Last I heard, he had made some sort of business proposal to the Captain. It sounded sketchy to me. Be sure that I'll investigate it thoroughly."

He thanked you for your time and gives you a note. "This note is worth five gold at your bank as a reward for information relating to the disaster. Should you not have a bank, you can cash this in at the Financial Office on your way out. Is there somewhere that I can leave a message for you when I need to contact you again?"

Jeriah
2016-02-05, 03:26 PM
She starts to reply then comes to a sudden stop, her whole figure seemingly shrinking in on itself.

"N-No... I was" she sniffles once "I was living in a boarding house on the edge of the slums near the river. I... I di-didn't even th-think about i, but I guess my whole life is gone now... I guess I'm glad I wasn't there, but I don't know what to do now..." she stumbles through as she tries not to cry, the results of her actions harming her own life just now sinking in for the first time.

planswalker
2016-02-05, 06:00 PM
"I'm sorry to hear that. Well, when you get a new place to stay, let the Watch know where to find you. If and when we go after this Katoerian for this, we'll need you to testify before a magistrate."

Jeriah
2016-02-07, 09:43 PM
"Of course. I'll be available. I suppose that, until I'm needed, I'll be checking in at the Sad Flint. It's the only place I know, though I'd be open to any suggestions you might have... Is there a group that might take in a homeless woman?"

Jeriah
2016-02-09, 06:06 PM
Think about it, is there a temple to her Lady in town? If so, it surely wouldn't be public... Would it?

planswalker
2016-02-10, 12:08 AM
there are no publicly known temples, no.

If there are or are not any secrets cults, well, I don't get the impression that your character would know about them one way or the other, but odds are that there aren't.

"There are several women-only hostels in South Market that would take you in, provided you can manage about 5 silver a night on average. Mary's Rest on Crockery Row is one I've heard good things of. If you're not too proud, the Sisters of Salvation offer shelter for the homeless as well. They're in Midtown, I believe."

Jeriah
2016-02-10, 01:26 AM
"Thank you."

Assuming there's nothing more she needs to do, she heads towards Midtown looking for the Sisters of Salvation.

planswalker
2016-02-10, 01:29 AM
The Sisters of Salvation Center is a small two story plaster building with several open windows on the corner of Porter's Road and Steinbacher Hohl in West Midtown. The Sisters are going about business as usual, with several going in and out almost constantly. A small girl of about nine stands by the main entrance holding a basket of pale, white flowers, waiting to greet anyone who approaches the building.

Jeriah
2016-02-12, 01:49 AM
Fama approaches the building and enters it, ignoring the small child.

planswalker
2016-02-12, 01:54 AM
You find the place a flurry of activity. Apparently, they are going to be sending out a huge relief effort in the morning, and they're quite busy preparing for it.

Jeriah
2016-02-12, 01:58 AM
She looks for someone who looks like she could be interrupted.

'I lived in the Docks. The Watch directed me here as a place of refuge.'

planswalker
2016-02-12, 03:01 PM
One of the women stops what she is doing to say, "You're welcome to stay here until you get back on your feet. We'll provide you a safe place to sleep at night and two meals a day. All we ask is that you help us a little around the place. Does that seem fair?"

Jeriah
2016-02-15, 12:59 AM
She readily agrees and asks what she needs to do.

planswalker
2016-02-15, 10:20 PM
You are given the task of cleaning out the dormitory hallways and the common room before bed. She is handed a broom, dustpan, mop, and bucket to complete the task. Assuming she agrees to do it, the task takes her about an hour and a half to finish. Afterwords, she is assigned a thin straw bed with two sheets, a blanket, and a small pillow.

"It's not much, but it's a safe place to stay until you can get on your feet." The middle-aged woman with greying hair and a gentle yet stern expression on her face says as she assigns you to a bed. There are about a dozen or so other women also in the room readying themselves for the night.