PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A animate object questions

magicalmagicman
2015-03-13, 04:30 PM
Are these legal?

1. Cast wall of ice to create a massive and very, very crude wall that sort of looks like a humanoid shape, and then cast animate objects on it to get a huge sized animated object of ice for 1min/CL.
Overhead view of the wall

.__
/ | \
. /\
./..\

So it would take up 50cft to form a "maze" of walls that's laid out like a headless humanoid. Dots are there because this site deletes all spaces at the start of a new line.

2. Animate a bunch of small objects which coalesce into a larger object. A suit of armor with a weapon and shield is made up of many pieces, but if they can function as a single medium construct, why not others?
a. Bunch of boulders to form a rough humanoid looking animated object
b. Bunch of daggers to form a dagger-man
c. Sand pile into a sandstone-construct

3. Tie together a bunch of stuff (dirt, hay, grass, clothing, etc.) with rope to create one huge size "object".

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Coidzor
2015-03-13, 06:42 PM
Are these legal?

1. Cast wall of ice to create a massive and very, very crude wall that sort of looks like a humanoid shape, and then cast animate objects on it to get a huge sized animated object of ice for 1min/CL.
Overhead view of the wall

.__
/ | \
. /\
./..\

So it would take up 50cft to form a "maze" of walls that's laid out like a headless humanoid. Dots are there because this site deletes all spaces at the start of a new line.

You'd be better off using fabricate than trying this. You'd need less complicated stuff and you'd also be able to fine-tune whether it has claws or slams, IIRC.

This is too DM dependent even if it is legal, which... I honestly can't remember if wall of ice can be cast in that sort of shape. That's mostly going to depend upon how much you can shape wall of ice though, IIRC.

2. Animate a bunch of small objects which coalesce into a larger object. A suit of armor with a weapon and shield is made up of many pieces, but if they can function as a single medium construct, why not others?
a. Bunch of boulders to form a rough humanoid looking animated object
b. Bunch of daggers to form a dagger-man
c. Sand pile into a sandstone-construct

Not really bonded together in any way, so that shouldn't work without fabricate or sovereign gluing them all together or something along those lines to actually make them into a single object.

3. Tie together a bunch of stuff (dirt, hay, grass, clothing, etc.) with rope to create one huge size "object".

Depends on how you mean tie it together. If you lash a bunch of stuff together fairly tightly you probably can, though the rope lattice would be a bit vulnerable, I think, but the loose ends would also give the resultant animated object some useful ability, too.

If you, say, tie a single rope between two weights, I'm not sure about that, but probably. Having, say, 5 objects tied together loosely with rope would be the grayest area, I think.