PDA

View Full Version : Grappling and Armor Spikes

bootzin
2015-03-13, 08:43 PM
Hey guys!

So, I decided to make a grappling character (I know, I'm a fool), but I'm having some trouble calculating the damage that I deal.

Here is what I do: I have a +8 on STR, a total of +16 to grapple, I have the ability to constrict (1d4+8) and the improved grab ability.

My unarmed damage is 1d4 + 8

I have a sharkskin armor that has pretty much Armor Spikes dealing 1d6 damage

I also have the Spike Stones Graft that deals an additional 2d4 on a successful grapple and 1d4 on my unarmed strikes.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, my damage is as follows:

Melee unarmed attack: 2d4+1d6+8
Grapple: 1d4+8 (Constrict) + 1d6 (Armor Spikes) + 2d4 (Spike Stones)

Is this right? Do I add more than only +8 STR? Is this my total damage if I hit and succeed on a grapple check? When exactly do I apply this damage? Right after the grapple or only on the following turn, if I manage to suceed the grapple again?

Flickerdart
2015-03-13, 09:15 PM
Armor spikes and Constrict cannot be used together. They are separate attacks.

bootzin
2015-03-13, 09:33 PM
But aren't them both dealt automatically in case I am successful in a grapple check?

Flickerdart
2015-03-13, 09:37 PM
But aren't them both dealt automatically in case I am successful in a grapple check?
No. The spikes are just a regular weapon. Constrict can certainly be read as "deal extra damage for free every time you make a grapple check" but you do have to squint a bit.

bootzin
2015-03-13, 09:40 PM
You can have spikes added to your armor. They allow you to deal 1d6 points of piercing damage (x2 crit) with a successful grapple attack. [...]
Emphasis of mine

Does this mean that I still have to roll attacks normally?

EDIT--
It's the same wording of spike stones Graft.

Flickerdart
2015-03-13, 09:41 PM
Emphasis of mine

Does this mean that I still have to roll attacks normally?
Yes. The same way that a sword deals 1d8 damage on a successful melee attack.

Boost
2015-03-13, 09:44 PM
Yes. The same way that a sword deals 1d8 damage on a successful melee attack.

This is incorrect.

From the PHB: "You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage on a successful grapple attack. ... You can also make a regular melee attack with the spikes.

This means if you succeed on a grapple, the spike damage is additional, bonus damage. Or you can, if you choose, attack with them separately (such as if you were disarmed of your normal melee weapon).

bootzin
2015-03-13, 09:52 PM
Ok, I just realized it is not the same wording.

The spike stones actually allow me to deal 2d4 extra damage in addition to normal grapple damage.

The armor spikes is not on a successful grapple check, as I'd thought, but on a successful grapple attack.

Constrict, IIRC, deals damage on a successful grapple check, and if the creature has improved grab, it is in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grapple.

So, as far as I can see, I'd deal 2d4 (Spike Stones) + 1d4+8 (Constrict) + 1d6 (Either Unarmed strike or armor spikes damage) on a successful grapple check

EDIT---
Actually, I think the extra 1d6 must be from unarmed strike, as with a normal attack I don't need to make an opposed grapple check, right? I'm kinda confused, to be honest :smallfrown:

EDIT 2---
@Boost: Does that mean that I could choose to deal damage to my opponent, making a successful grapple check, and deal all the damage I stated above plus the armor spike damage?