PDA

View Full Version : How do you test new rule sets for your group

aspekt
2015-03-13, 11:34 PM
A lot of my table is pretty busy with real life. And there are a number of systems I would like to test out. Tried to do this a couple of times with a smaller group, but it didn't go over very well. In spite of liking one of the systems and providing good discussion on the other, they really aren't up for rule testing on their gaming night out.

Heck they've even asked about playing another of the many systems that are out there. But I think they need the GM to have a fair overview of character creation and introductory mechanics to not feel completely swamped by it all.

So that leaves me kind of doing this on my own. Do any of you do basic system runs on your own and if so how do you go about it after character creation?

jaydubs
2015-03-14, 12:30 AM
If you really want to learn a system, you have to eventually just sit down and play it. If your normal group doesn't have the time to do it with you, consider test running those new systems with a different group - ideally with people who have played it before.

My suggestion - First, read the book and create a character. Next, pick one of the online tabletop simulators (roll20 being my choice, but there are many), and look for a one shot that's welcoming to beginners. Request a DM if you can't find one already recruiting. If that fails, run it yourself, letting people know you've never tried it before and you'll be puzzling through it yourself.

If I didn't have that option, I'd probably run through a few theoretical encounters, playing both sides. Not as good, and probably not nearly as interesting though.

aspekt
2015-03-14, 07:22 AM
If you really want to learn a system, you have to eventually just sit down and play it. If your normal group doesn't have the time to do it with you, consider test running those new systems with a different group - ideally with people who have played it before.

My suggestion - First, read the book and create a character. Next, pick one of the online tabletop simulators (roll20 being my choice, but there are many), and look for a one shot that's welcoming to beginners. Request a DM if you can't find one already recruiting. If that fails, run it yourself, letting people know you've never tried it before and you'll be puzzling through it yourself.

If I didn't have that option, I'd probably run through a few theoretical encounters, playing both sides. Not as good, and probably not nearly as interesting though.

Thanks. I hadn't considered Roll20 because of my inexperience with these rulesets. But looking for an open group just may work.

Mastikator
2015-03-14, 08:29 AM
"Hey guys do you want to try out this new rule?"

That usually works for me. If it doesn't then I give up.

aspekt
2015-03-14, 02:09 PM
"Hey guys do you want to try out this new rule?"

That usually works for me. If it doesn't then I give up.

I read between your lines like a savage!

aspekt
2015-03-15, 12:42 AM
Well I found a cheap boxed set of the old AD&D Cardmaster system. I've never used it before but I think I can generic-fy it enough to get by.

If not at least it will give me a starting olace to roll my own homebrew.