PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Abyssal genasi

xyianth
2015-03-14, 01:13 AM
With the release of the genasi race for 5e (one of my personal favorites) I was disappointed that they only revealed the basic 4 elements. I have expanded that list to include abyssal (corrupted) versions of those 4 here. I've also added 3 racial feats for each of these to expand their capabilities. Please feel free to comment/critique any part of this. I'd like to add racial feats for the original 4 elements as well eventually, so if you have any ideas, feel free to share them here.

cinder genasi (corrupted fire genasi):

+1 charisma
resistance to fire
heat aura
heat metal as a 2nd level spell once per long rest without a spell slot starting at 3rd level
corrupted

caustic genasi (corrupted earth genasi):

+1 dexterity
resistance to acid
acid splash cantrip (constitution based)
acidic blood
corrupted

void genasi (corrupted air genasi):

+1 charisma
resistance to psychic
void assault cantrip (charisma based)
embrace the void (1/long rest)
corrupted

plagued genasi (corrupted water genasi):

+1 intelligence
resistance to poison
poison spray cantrip (intelligence based)
plaguespawn (1/long rest)
corrupted

New ability descriptions:

heat aura: You can cause your body to emit high heat at-will. You can activate or deactivate this ability as a bonus action on your turn. It remains active until you choose to disable it or until you fall unconscious. While active, you radiate heat in a 5' radius around you. Any creature that starts its turn or enters this radius takes 1d6 fire damage. No creature can be damaged by this ability more than once per turn.

acidic blood: Your blood contains a high concentration of acid. Whenever you are struck by a melee attack, the attacker takes 1d6 acid damage.

void assault(cantrip): You can assault the mind of a nearby target by linking them to the eternal void. You make a melee spell attack against a target within 30' that deals 1d8 psychic damage on a hit. Any creature that is damaged by this attack suffers disadvantage on the next save they attempt for 1 round. At 5th level, you can make an additional spell attack against a target within range. You can choose to attack the same target or different targets. At 11th level and again at 17th level you can make an additional spell attack.

embrace the void: As a bonus action on your turn, you can wink out of existence until the start of your next turn. While active, all conditions/spells/effects that are affecting you pause their remaining durations until your return. When you return, you can reappear at any location within 30' of your previous location, as long as the new location is large enough to accommodate you.

plaguespawn: You release a particularly virulent form of poison with your poison spray cantrip. You deal maximum damage to the target on a failed save, half that on a successful save. For the next minute, the victim is host to a contagious version of your poison. At the end of each of that creature's turns, all creatures within 5' of it must attempt a con save vs your cantrip's spell save DC. On a failure, they contract the poison for the remainder of the duration as well. Any creature that hosts the poison (including the first one targeted) must attempt a con save at the start of their turn or be rendered poisoned for the rest of that turn. You are immune to the effects of this ability.

corrupted: Abyssal genasi are tainted by the abyss. This has several effects on the genasi.

Other genasi believe you to be an abomination and most other races are suspicious of you due to your demonic appearance. You suffer disadvantage on deception and persuasion checks against any creature other than abyssal genasi and demons. You do however gain advantage on intimidation checks against any creature other than abyssal genasi and demons.
Your soul normally contains a bit of the corruption from the abyss. When you die, that portion of your soul returns to the abyss and resists being returned to life. As a result, abyssal genasi are harder to revive than most races. Whenever a dead abyssal genasi is targeted by revival magic, the genasi must roll a d20. If the result of the roll exceeds the caster's spell save DC, the revival magic fails, otherwise the genasi is affected by the spell normally.
While in the abyss, abyssal genasi do not suffer any ill effects from the plane.

New racial feats:

empty mind (requires void genasi):

You gain immunity to psychic damage.
Your void assault cantrip deals extra damage equal to your charisma modifier on each attack.
Telepathic creatures have disadvantage on all attacks and checks against you.

empty form (requires void genasi):

When you reappear after using your embrace the void ability, you gain temporary hp equal to your character level + your constitution modifier.
You gain the ability to create small mundane objects out of the void. This works exactly like the minor conjuration ability of conjuration wizards.

empty soul (requires void genasi):

When you reappear after using your embrace the void ability, you can choose which (if any) conditions/effects/spells that were affecting you reappear with you. Any that you don't choose, end immediately.
When you drop a foe using your void assault cantrip, you regain the use of your embrace the void ability.

noxious gases (requires plagued genasi):

Victims that would be poisoned by your plaguespawn ability are instead incapacitated.
Your poison spray cantrip deals extra poison damage equal to your intelligence modifier.

adaptive toxins (requires plagued genasi):

When you use your plaguespawn ability, you can designate a number of creatures equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum 1) that are immune to the effects of your ability.
Your poison spray cantrip deals half damage on a successful save.

toxic secretions (requires plagued genasi):

As a bonus action, you can condense your poison spray into a liquid dose of poison. You can apply this poison directly to a melee weapon (or piece of ammunition) as part of this bonus action. You can also choose to bottle it for later use. Your poison breaks down rapidly even when bottled. A bottled dose of your poison loses effectiveness 10 minutes after being bottled. While it remains effective, it can be applied by anyone as if it were a normal dose of poison. When applied to a weapon (or ammunition) the poison remains active for 1 minute or until you successfully deal damage with the weapon. On a hit, the target is treated as if being targeted by your poison spray cantrip in addition to any effects from being hit by the attack.
Your constant exposure to toxins grants you advantage on any saves against poison.

acid blob (requires caustic genasi):

You acid splash cantrip affects all creatures within 5' of your target.
When you are hit by an attack, you can use your reaction to cast your acid splash cantrip against your attacker. This replaces any effect from your acidic blood ability.

compound structure (requires caustic genasi):

You gain immunity to acid damage. Whenever you would have taken acid damage you instead gain temporary hp equal to your character level + your constitution modifier.
When you are hit by a ranged weapon attack, the attack's damage is reduced by the amount of damage your acidic blood ability would have dealt to a melee attacker.

dissolution (requires caustic genasi):

You can secrete a potent acid with a touch. As an action, you can dissolve 1 square inch of non-magical metal per round.
You deal an extra 1d6 acid damage with unarmed strikes.
Your acid splash cantrip and your acidic blood ability deal extra acid damage equal to your constitution modifier.

gentle warmth (requires cinder genasi):

You can use your heat aura ability to control the temperature of your surroundings while indoors.
Any creatures inside the radius of your heat aura have advantage against any spell that deals cold damage.
Any attacks that deal cold damage made against creatures inside the radius of your heat aura are made with disadvantage.
Whenever an ally would take damage from your heat aura ability, they instead gain temporary hp equal to the damage they would have taken.

raging inferno (requires cinder genasi):

Your heat aura's range extends to a 10' radius.
Your heat aura ability deals extra fire damage equal to your charisma modifier.

molten core (requires cinder genasi):

You can choose to make the ground molten when activating your heat aura. Molten ground requires 20' of movement per 5' distance moved. You ignore this effect.
You gain immunity to fire, but vulnerability to cold.

Thoughts?

M Placeholder
2015-03-16, 09:38 AM
I like the Idea of Outer planetouched Inner Planetouched creatures (If you catch my drift), but none of the Genies actually have a CE alignment. I think a better fit for the Alignments would be -

Corrupted Earth -

Hadean Genasi (Gray Waste Corrupted)
Gehennan Genasi (Gehenna Corrupted)
Tartarian Genasi (Carceri Corrupted)

Corrupted Fire -

Baatorian Genasi (Nine Hells Corrupted)
Acheronian Genasi (Acheron Corrupted)

Those would fit the Alignment of the parent Genies better. A Lawful Evil Efreet would feel far more at home in the Nine Hells than the Abyss, and a Dao would probably like Gehenna and Carceri.

xyianth
2015-03-16, 10:35 AM
I like the Idea of Outer planetouched Inner Planetouched creatures (If you catch my drift), but none of the Genies actually have a CE alignment. I think a better fit for the Alignments would be -

Corrupted Earth -

Hadean Genasi (Gray Waste Corrupted)
Tartarian Genasi (Carceri Corrupted)

Corrupted Fire -

Baatorian Genasi (Nine Hells Corrupted)
Acheronian Genasi (Acheron Corrupted)

Those would fit the Alignment of the parent Genies better. A Lawful Evil Efreet would feel far more at home in the Nine Hells than the Abyss, and a Dao would probably like Gehenna and Carceri.

Hmm, that is an interesting angle to take. I probably should have mentioned this in the OP, but the names and inspiration for abyssal genasi come from 4e. (possibly earlier?) I could certainly see value in focusing more on the corruption aspect and expanding the corruption to be from different planes.