PDA

View Full Version : Laws of Cartoon Physics

BobTheDog
2007-04-10, 07:48 AM
Since V has quoted one of the most famous Law of Cartoon Physics, I thought of starting a thread for discussing and listing more of them.

I start with a question. Would carrots (or putting your fingers in them) work as well against bows and crossbows as they do against shotguns?

Setra
2007-04-10, 07:51 AM
Since V has quoted one of the most famous Law of Cartoon Physics, I thought of starting a thread for discussing and listing more of them.

I start with a question. Would carrots (or putting your fingers in them) work as well against bows and crossbows as they do against shotguns?
No, because it wouldn't be as funny.

I know some laws of anime physics, I suppose they could count.

Though I can only remember one right now.

* Explosions in space are louder because there is no air to get in the way

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-10, 07:53 AM

There isn't really a barrel to put them down. I suppose you could hold up a shield or metal plate though....

Hushdawg
2007-04-10, 07:59 AM
No, because a shotgun is an explosion with hundreds of small pellets while a crossbow is a single projectile. The bolt would have more power at the tip and would penetrate the flesh and likely still go through to target. Putting one's finger at the end of a crossbow rail does not change the conditions under which a bolt is fired, unlike plugging the barrel of a shotgun which would alter the conditions somewhat.

On that note, in OOTS-verse if someone were charging and you closed a door in their face, it should tend to flatten said individual charging. :D

Storm Bringer
2007-04-10, 08:03 AM
the obvious comeadic result is for the targeted person to hold the arrow/bolt, and when the weapon fires, the bow is launched in the oppsite direction, with the firer still holding on.

My personal fave piece of cartoon Physics is Hammerspace: the place where characters keep thier huge hammers/guns/frying pans/whatever, and that they can access just by reaching out of shot (like behind their back).

it;s even better than the Handy Haversack!

Kreistor
2007-04-10, 08:04 AM
"No act will be performed more than three times."

The classic Looney Tunes gag of the hunter running into the log to chase the prey and winding up over the cliff, running back in but the prey spins the log so the hunter appears above the cliff again. The hunter always falls the third time he comes out. The LT gang used this trick no fewer than 5 times in its cartoons. (Even all the way back to black and white cartoons.)

Setra
2007-04-10, 08:07 AM
Certain bodies can pass through solid walls painted to resemble tunnel entrances; others cannot.

Another classic W.E. Coyote Law.

factotum
2007-04-10, 08:27 AM
The bolt would have more power at the tip and would penetrate the flesh and likely still go through to target. Putting one's finger at the end of a crossbow rail does not change the conditions under which a bolt is fired, unlike plugging the barrel of a shotgun which would alter the conditions somewhat.

You're thinking of real physics, not cartoon physics. It was categorically proved in an episode of "Mythbusters" that putting your finger in the end of a gun barrel would NOT stop the bullet or cause the gun to explode in its firer's face.

Anyway, carrots have been put down gun barrels before--has no-one in this thread ever watched a Bugs Bunny cartoon???

I did find a website once that had a whole list of laws of cartoon physics, but I forget where it was. I know that one of them said that cartoon characters, despite not appearing to have pockets or any other way of carrying items around, are always able to produce a sign from behind their back which says exactly what they're feeling at the time. (The best example being, again, Wile E. Coyote, who used to pull out signs saying simply "Eep!" or "Help!" on a regular basis).

Stormwolf
2007-04-10, 08:56 AM
The usual cartoon technique of dealing with an arrow being fired is to find a convenient piece of drainpipe, preferably with a simple U-bend (or a more complicated route) which is able to redirect the bolt back towards the firer.

Setra
2007-04-10, 09:36 AM
The usual cartoon technique of dealing with an arrow being fired is to find a convenient piece of drainpipe, preferably with a simple U-bend (or a more complicated route) which is able to redirect the bolt back towards the firer.
Or the character themself is fired out of the bow.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-10, 10:08 AM
maybe if you hold the arrow still the shooter would fly back, in cartoon physics of course.

evil bob
2007-04-10, 10:42 AM
Here's another: A cat tends to assume the shape of its container.

Fo Shizzle
2007-04-10, 10:42 AM
I know another law of anime physics.

There will always be enough wind to gently stir a characters skirt around her legs. However no mater how strong the wind becomes it will never be enough to actually blow her skirt all the way up.

happyturtle
2007-04-10, 12:43 PM
If you are not flattened when running into a door or wall, you will make a hole that forms a silhouette of your body.

Alysar
2007-04-10, 12:51 PM

No, that's real physics

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7107/catinabottlepi1.jpg

GAZ
2007-04-10, 12:52 PM
If a character is running down the stairs inside a building to catch an object falling down the outside, it doesn't matter how fast they run, they will always just miss the object.

A sharp pain in the butt or a big fright cancel out gravity.

No explosion can permenantly injure a character. Small explosions turn them black and smokey, larger ones turn them into piles of ash with blinking eyes on top.

Every falling object has exactly the same shadow.

I used to know more...

Kriel
2007-04-10, 01:00 PM
It doesn't matter how thin the tree is. You can completely conceal yourself behind it as long as you are particularly sneaky about it.

If flattened, the use of an air pump or putting your thumb in your mouth and blowing hard will return you to your original shape.

happyturtle
2007-04-10, 01:29 PM
A parachute pack is indistinguishable from an anvil in a pack until the ripcord is pulled.

BobTheDog
2007-04-10, 01:31 PM
In a pursuit, the door always locks the moment the pursued passes through it.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 01:31 PM
large dogs can fit into small container's so long as a cat is on the other end

dsavereide
2007-04-10, 01:35 PM
My favorite was always:
All principles of gravity are negated by fear. The following is from wikipedia:

Anvilology[1] (http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Cartoon_physics) is the study of (cartoon) physical principles of anvils (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil), as studied at "Acme Looniversity" in the animated series, Tiny Toon Adventures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Toon_Adventures).

Everything falls faster than an anvil (so that the evil character can hit the ground first and then be crushed, but not killed, by the anvil).
Anvils are readily available.
Anvils have mass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass) but not much weight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight), so that they are very hard to push around, but it is possible to jump out of a plane with an anvil instead of a parachute and not notice until the parachute is opened while airborne.
Anvils can stay in the air until noticed by a character, at which point they fall on the character.
If a character moves out of the way of a falling anvil, the anvil will shift its position over the character before falling, so that it crushes (but does not kill) the character. The anvil's shadow may not reflect this shift and could stay in its original position until the anvil strikes the character.
The item in question does not necessarily need to be an anvil; a safe or a grand piano would also follow the laws of anvilology.

happyturtle
2007-04-10, 01:48 PM
Laws of toon babysitting:

* No baby will attempt dangerous mischief until left alone with the sitter.
* The baby will be happiest when in the most life-threatening position
* No matter how far away the babysitter is, he can reach the baby in time to prevent any harm coming to the baby
* The only way to prevent harm coming to the baby is for even more harm to be done to the babysitter
* By the time the parents return, the baby will be safe in its cradle

Dihan
2007-04-10, 01:57 PM
If someone places a black circle on the floor, it will actually turn out to be a hole and the unfortunate victim will fall through it.

Krytha
2007-04-10, 02:02 PM
So technically, if a person in motion never notices gravity, they are granted the power of flight?

Ronsian
2007-04-10, 02:03 PM
The one from Monkey Island "Everything will fit in your pants, no matter how much trouble you had holding it. It will also be easily taken out of aforementioned pants."

Alysar
2007-04-10, 02:06 PM
A parachute pack is indistinguishable from an anvil in a pack until the ripcord is pulled.

A camping knapsack is also a suitable substitution

Storm Bringer
2007-04-10, 02:10 PM
dispite being blown up, shot, nuked, stabbed, flattened, or otherwise injured, no cartoon character will suffer ill effect for more than a few seconds or till the scene cuts, whichever is first.

characters who are aware that they are in a cartoon can metagame (as in, take advantage of the cartoon physics, rather than be taken advantage BY).

Cartoon Physics are not always in effect. in particular, they only kick in when it would be funny, and stop work to increase the gag (e.g. Road runner can run though a painted on hole via cartoon physics, but when W E tries, it don't work.

all acme products WORK, just not the way you intended them to. For example, rocket boots can get you going very fast, but they don't let you steer.

So technically, if a person in motion never notices gravity, they are granted the power of flight

sometimes, even after they notice. I've seen at least one cartoon where the caracter in mid air simply turns around and walks back onto the flat.

in other cases, it takes a few seconds to kick in, so the character is able to leap towards the edge and grab a handhold

i've also seen one where the characters blindfold the intelligent car they are in and drive over a valley, effectivly flying, as you say.

Gitman00
2007-04-10, 02:11 PM
When a hole is sawed in the floor under a character's feet, the character will not notice until the hole is complete.

If a character attempts to dig a hole through the earth's core, the character will invariably end up in China.

PerryTatchett
2007-04-10, 02:17 PM
I know one! You can jump in to the air and spin your legs, and when you touch the ground you will run away really quickly.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 02:21 PM
if you twist an animals tail when on a boat and put their mouth in the water and you have an instant speed boat

Twilight Jack
2007-04-10, 02:23 PM
Has anyone yet mentioned the Unified Field Theory of Cartoon Physics? Namely, "All applications of cartoon physics are subject and proportionate to the humorous potential of the final result of said application." This theory is best expressed in the following anecdotal exchange:

Eddie Valiant: Are you trying to tell me that you could have taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?

Roger Rabbit: No, not at any time; only when it was funny!

happyturtle
2007-04-10, 02:33 PM
Cross dressing always fools your pursuer

Xiander
2007-04-10, 02:59 PM
Airbrakes lets you break your fall through air, naturally.

When a plane runs out of gas it stops dead... in the air.

Hushdawg
2007-04-10, 05:25 PM
You're thinking of real physics, not cartoon physics.

D'oh!
You're right... in cartoon physics the bolt would stick to the end of the finger and the person firing the crossbow would fly backward.

It was categorically proved in an episode of "Mythbusters" that putting your finger in the end of a gun barrel would NOT stop the bullet or cause the gun to explode in its firer's face.

Actually they did some revisits to that and discovered that they'd made the mistake of using modern barreled shotguns. Older damascus-style barrels bulged out and though you'd loose a finger; it would prevent you from getting killed from the shot. So there is a quasi-truth to the myth.

Hushdawg
2007-04-10, 05:26 PM

My cats all think they are in cartoons then...

I think that's a real-world law of Thermofelineamics.

Hushdawg
2007-04-10, 05:29 PM
So technically, if a person in motion never notices gravity, they are granted the power of flight?

Of course! After all, flight is simply the act of throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

Hushdawg
2007-04-10, 05:30 PM
The one from Monkey Island "Everything will fit in your pants, no matter how much trouble you had holding it. It will also be easily taken out of aforementioned pants."

Ergo the expression "I got yer [insert object] right here... IN MY PANTS!"

slayerx
2007-04-10, 06:36 PM
I did find a website once that had a whole list of laws of cartoon physics, but I forget where it was..

You can always try google
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_physics
Ah wikipedia, the #1 source for both vital and trivial information
External links at the bottom like to various sites with cartoon and anime laws

i think i get more laughs out of the anime laws... probably because all cartoons are meant to be silly while many animes try to be more serious, yet the laws behind them are kinda silly :smalltongue: (ofcourse there are also the animes that are just plain silly as well)

for instance
35. Law of Musical Omnipotence

Any character capable of musical talent (singing, playing an instrument, etc.) is automatically capable of doing much more "simple" things like piloting mecha, fighting crime, stopping an intergalactic war, and so on... especially if they have never attempted these things before.

29. Law of Melee Luminescence

Any being displaying extremely high levels of martial arts prowess and/or violent emotions emits light in the form of a glowing aura. This aura is usually blue for 'good guys' and red for 'bad guys'. This is attributed to Good being higher in the electromagnetic spectrum than Evil.

16. Law of Inverse Accuracy

The accuracy of a 'Good Guy' when operating any form of fire-arm increases as the difficulty of the shot increases. The accuracy of the 'Bad Guys' when operating fire-arms decreases when the difficulty of the shot decreases. (Also known as the Stormtrooper Effect)

Third Corollary - Whenever a 'Good Guy' is actually hit by enemy fire, it is in a designated 'Good Guy Area', usually a flesh wound in the shoulder or arm, which restricts the 'Good Guy' from doing anything more strenuous than driving, firing weaponry, using melee weapons, operating heavy machinery, or doing complex martial arts maneuvres.

Jari Kafghan
2007-04-10, 06:58 PM
When the villain of the cartoon attempts to saw a hole in the ceiling(or floor) the part that falls through is always the part directly over his or her head.

Haruki-kun
2007-04-10, 08:44 PM
ACME makes quality products, which invariably fail, backfire and/or explode. However, there is not a single character who cares, as they all refuse to change brands.

Kreistor
2007-04-10, 11:08 PM
If you are not flattened when running into a door or wall, you will make a hole that forms a silhouette of your body.

Incomplete.

Or the object will form a bulge that conforms to your shape two feet deep.

PlasticSoldier
2007-04-10, 11:13 PM
You can swim in anything (eg.air, money) if you make a swimming motion.

13_CBS
2007-04-10, 11:51 PM
All cartoon characters are skilled in the usage of Hammer Space.

Comedic melee weapons, portals, and falling items are much more effective tools of destruction than guns.

Cartoon characters have infinite strength, unless the situation calls for otherwise.

Alysar
2007-04-11, 10:11 AM
ACME makes quality products, which invariably fail, backfire and/or explode. However, there is not a single character who cares, as they all refuse to change brands.

Wait a second. Are there any other corporations in the cartooniverse? This smacks of something sinister! Is Acme enforcing a monopoly? Fantastic technology with no competition? Is there nothing to reign in their power? We will soon be seeing jack-booted Acme thugs marching down the cartoon streets! Rise up my inked brothers and sisters! Rebel against your corporate would-be masters!

Threeshades
2007-04-11, 04:40 PM
Cross dressing always fools your pursuer

* Further dressing in the standard outfit of another character and faking a single physical trait of that character (for example bunny ears) fools everyone into believing you are that character even if you are member of an entirely different species.

* You can actually be allergic to ground structures such as holes.

* You can store an indefinite amount of matter behind your back and always have access to whatever you need without having to search for it.

* This also applies for "Help!"-signs or any sign expressing pain, amusement or concern.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-11, 04:55 PM
# Females must always wear a dress, males may be nude however they lack genitalia.

# Even if a character is usually nude they will always were a towel upon leaving a bath.

# The only practical uses of clothing are to indicate the wearer's (alleged) profession.

# Apart from the aforementioned clothing the only source of gender dimorphism is the absence of eyelashes on males.

Khantalas
2007-04-11, 05:11 PM
A birdcage can hold a piece of circular wood it is not affixed to if the aforementioned wood was sawed out of a larger plane.

Orzel
2007-04-11, 05:42 PM
Wait a second. Are there any other corporations in the cartooniverse? This smacks of something sinister! Is Acme enforcing a monopoly? Fantastic technology with no competition? Is there nothing to reign in their power? We will soon be seeing jack-booted Acme thugs marching down the cartoon streets! Rise up my inked brothers and sisters! Rebel against your corporate would-be masters!

There's Ajax and Blammo

Others:
Certain magic tricks and stunts can only be performed once per lifetime.

Anytime a castle is introduced, lightning strikes.

CardinalFang
2007-04-11, 06:25 PM
There's Ajax and Blammo

Others:
Certain magic tricks and stunts can only be performed once per lifetime.

Anytime a castle is introduced, lightning strikes.
Lightning can be replaced with howling wolves, if necessary.

Enlong
2007-04-11, 06:38 PM
On the subjective behavior of reality when concerned with lifelike paintings
or
"Shrodinger's Tunnel"

If a drawing is sufficently lifelike, then it will behave according to how an aware mind percieves it. (that is, if you think a tunnel is real, it's real. If you know it's fake, it's still a solid wall)

On the indestructibility of certain species
or
"The accordian theorem"

There is a direct relationship between how funny something is, and how indestructible it is.

Orzel
2007-04-11, 06:44 PM
Lightning can be replaced with howling wolves, if necessary.

the full list is:
Lightning strikes
Thunderclaps
Wolf howls
Owl hoots
Bat screechs
Crow caws
and
Wave crashes

Eva
2007-04-11, 10:25 PM
the full list is:
Lightning strikes
Thunderclaps
Wolf howls
Owl hoots
Bat screechs
Crow caws
and
Wave crashes

These castles uniformly are introduced from the bottom of a hill and have something "wrong" with them (crooked towers, banging shutters, cobwebs, a broken window, or just a terrible colour palette/taste in decor :P ).

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-12, 05:35 PM
Don't forget, castles always contain equipment for at least one of the following;

Producing a stupid-but-nice Frankenstein's monster (ideally called Franky)
Switching people's minds several times
Turning people into monsters
Vampires

Hushdawg
2007-04-12, 09:20 PM
Don't forget, castles always contain equipment for at least one of the following;

Producing a stupid-but-nice Frankenstein's monster (ideally called Franky)
Switching people's minds several times
Turning people into monsters
Vampires

Or have very large and odd henchmen named Gossamer :P

Lizard Lord
2007-04-12, 11:15 PM

Perhaps, but flying isn't very fun when you don't know your flying.

Darkxarth
2007-04-13, 05:29 AM

"There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that provides the difficulties."
- Life, The Universe, and Everything, Douglas Adams

If at any time an anime character becomes more powerful than normal, they are engulfed in flames. These flames, however, are not harmful to anyone or anything, and often grant special abilities such as flight, super speed, super strength, and the ability to fire energy from one's body.

A classic.

One can enter a door on one side of a hallway, and then, without being seen returning, exit a door from the other side. This can be done for as long as 2 minutes, but only works if the character is looking for something/someone or hiding/running from something/someone. This rule can apply to any large number of enterable/exitable objects of any size such as barrels or drawers.

Setra
2007-04-13, 11:25 AM
Another random law I remembered while looking at some Vandread artwork.

* If a woman is in labor, and is in any way important to the plot, the main character will inevitably at least witness, or in some cases help deliver the baby.

Heliomance
2007-04-13, 02:43 PM
Surely all you have to do to fly is intentionally fail your to-hit roll on the ground?

jindra34
2007-04-13, 02:48 PM
Surely all you have to do to fly is intentionally fail your to-hit roll on the ground?

except that the ground has an AC of -120 kinda hard to miss that...

Darkxarth
2007-04-13, 03:08 PM

Yes, it was discussed on the WotC forums in a thread about a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy d20 RPG. All you would have to do is miss the ground, then probably make a series of Wisdom checks or Will saves to keep from falling due to shock.

except that the ground has an AC of -120 kinda hard to miss that...
Natural 1 is a miss, which means that 1 in 20 tries will be a success (er, a failure... whatever) and you will fly. As a DM, I would force the character to make a series of Will saves and/or Wisdom checks, as stated above.

jindra34
2007-04-13, 03:10 PM
Natural 1 is a miss, which means that 1 in 20 tries will be a success (er, a failure... whatever) and you will fly.

The problem is that you generally have to keep missing the earth to keep flying thus you get one second of flight for about every 20 tries... oh well...

Darkxarth
2007-04-13, 03:13 PM
The problem is that you generally have to keep missing the earth to keep flying thus you get one second of flight for about every 20 tries... oh well...

Now I don't agree with that. If I swing at an Ogre and miss with a Natural 1, do I get to make another attack roll for that Natural 1 next round? In addition to whatever else I may do? No, the same principal applies to this. The "continue to miss the ground" aspect should be covered by a force of will to keep yourself from thinking "This is impossible, I can't be flying." because if you think that, you will suddenly become right.

And falling damage is a %@&$#.

Daracaex
2007-04-13, 03:17 PM
Cartoon Law I

Any body suspended in space will remain in space until made aware of its situation.
Daffy Duck steps off a cliff, expecting further pastureland. He loiters in midair, soliloquizing flippantly, until he chances to look down. At this point, the familiar principle of 32 feet per second per second takes over.

Cartoon Law II

Any body in motion will tend to remain in motion until solid matter intervenes suddenly.
Whether shot from a cannon or in hot pursuit on foot, cartoon characters are so absolute in their momentum that only a telephone pole or an outsize boulder retards their forward motion absolutely. Sir Isaac Newton called this sudden termination of motion the stooge's surcease.

Cartoon Law III

Any body passing through solid matter will leave a perforation conforming to its perimeter.
Also called the silhouette of passage, this phenomenon is the speciality of victims of directed-pressure explosions and of reckless cowards who are so eager to escape that they exit directly through the wall of a house, leaving a cookie-cutout-perfect hole. The threat of skunks or matrimony often catalyzes this reaction.

Cartoon Law IV

The time required for an object to fall twenty stories is greater than or equal to the time it takes for whoever knocked it off the ledge to spiral down twenty flights to attempt to capture it unbroken. Such an object is inevitably priceless, the attempt to capture it inevitably unsuccessful.

Cartoon Law V

All principles of gravity are negated by fear.
Psychic forces are sufficient in most bodies for a shock to propel them directly away from the earth's surface. A spooky noise or an adversary's signature sound will induce motion upward, usually to the cradle of a chandelier, a treetop, or the crest of a flagpole. The feet of a character who is running or the wheels of a speeding auto need never touch the ground, especially when in flight.

Cartoon Law VI

As speed increases, objects can be in several places at once.
This is particularly true of tooth-and-claw fights, in which a character's head may be glimpsed emerging from the cloud of altercation at several places simultaneously. This effect is common as well among bodies that are spinning or being throttled.
A wacky character has the option of self-replication only at manic high speeds and may ricochet off walls to achieve the velocity required.

Cartoon Law VII

Certain bodies can pass through solid walls painted to resemble tunnel entrances; others cannot.
This trompe l'oeil inconsistency has baffled generations, but at least it is known that whoever paints an entrance on a wall's surface to trick an opponent will be unable to pursue him into this theoretical space.
The painter is flattened against the wall when he attempts to follow into the painting. This is ultimately a problem of art, not of science.

Cartoon Law VIII

Any violent rearrangement of feline matter is impermanent.
Cartoon cats possess even more deaths than the traditional nine lives might comfortably afford. They can be decimated, spliced, splayed, accordion-pleated, spindled, or disassembled, but they cannot be destroyed. After a few moments of blinking self pity, they reinflate, elongate, snap back, or solidify.
Corollary:
A cat will assume the shape of its container.

Cartoon Law IX

Everything falls faster than an anvil.

Cartoon Law X

For every vengeance there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
This is the one law of animated cartoon motion that also applies to the physical world at large. For that reason, we need the relief of watching it happen to a duck instead.

Cartoon Law Amendment A

A sharp object will always propel a character upward.
When poked (usually in the buttocks) with a sharp object (usually a pin), a character will defy gravity by shooting straight up, with great velocity.

Cartoon Law Amendment B

The laws of object permanence are nullified for "cool" characters.
Characters who are intended to be "cool" can make previously nonexistent objects appear from behind their backs at will. For instance, the Road Runner can materialize signs to express himself without speaking.

Cartoon Law Amendment C

Explosive weapons cannot cause fatal injuries. They merely turn characters temporarily black and smokey.

Cartoon Law Amendment D

Gravity is transmitted by slow-moving waves of large wavelengths.
Their operation can be wittnessed by observing the behavior of a canine suspended over a large vertical drop. Its feet will begin to fall first, causing its legs to stretch. As the wave reaches its torso, that part will begin to fall, causing the neck to strech. As the head begins to fall, tension is released and the canine will resume its regular proportions until such time as it strikes the ground.

Cartoon Law Amendment E

Dynamite is spontaneously generated in "C-spaces" (spaces in which cartoon laws hold).
The process is analogous to steady-state theories of the universe which postulated that the tensions involved in maintaining a space would cause the creation of hydrogen from nothing. Dynamite quanta are quite large (stick sized) and unstable (lit). Such quanta are attracted to psychic forces generated by feelings of distress in "cool" characters (see Amendment B, which may be a special case of this law), who are able to use said quanta to their advantage. One may imagine C-spaces where all matter and energy result from primal masses of dynamite exploding. A big bang indeed.

Taken from Here (http://funnies.paco.to/cartoon.html)

jindra34
2007-04-13, 03:21 PM
One theory (not yet proven) of anime physics is a charecters surival is directly related to how cool they are...

Darkxarth
2007-04-13, 03:28 PM
Anime Law:

No character in an anime is completely dead until their fanboy/fangirl base lessens to the point that the company can stop making a huge profit by bringing them back to life "one more time."

Dakmor
2007-04-13, 03:45 PM
1. (The most obvious of all) Being crushed by an object causes yourself to turn into an object into a pancake, and the most frequent way for them to turn back to normal is for them to accordion.

2. All injuries that do not cause pancaking cause large, hairless, pink bumps that remain until a scene cut.

Threeshades
2007-04-13, 04:02 PM
1. (The most obvious of all) Being crushed by an object causes yourself to turn into an object into a pancake, and the most frequent way for them to turn back to normal is for them to accordion.

2. All injuries that do not cause pancaking cause large, hairless, pink bumps that remain until a scene cut.

or a complete color change to black, that might puff of along with any hair or feathers the character might have had.

@Miss the ground to fly theory:
This has also been discussed in "a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy".
The problem is you cannot inentionally miss the ground, so you have to get entirely distracted from hitting the ground in the right moment so you miss it and then you fly.

Ralfarius
2007-04-13, 10:30 PM
I've noticed a few sawing-related laws in these three pages. I am uncertain whether anyone otherwise worded the following law:

Attempting to sever the end of any cliff, length of board, or other surface hanging over a chasm will result in the severed portion remaining suspended while the rest of the surface (and severing individual) falls away.

happyturtle
2007-04-14, 05:28 AM
Rules of inflation:

Characters can be inflated by air or water until they become spherical beings with only their face, hands/feet/paws, and tail sticking out.

All things inflated by mouth or bicycle pump will float in the air unless it is necessary that they float on the surface of water.

Puncturing an air-inflated thing will cause it to whoosh about wildly as it deflates from that one point.

kerberos
2007-04-14, 07:13 AM
Cartoon Law I

Any body suspended in space will remain in space until made aware of its situation.
Daffy Duck steps off a cliff, expecting further pastureland. He loiters in midair, soliloquizing flippantly, until he chances to look down. At this point, the familiar principle of 32 feet per second per second takes over.

Not actually true, a character in this situation will accelerate to terminal velocity instaniously.

Haruki-kun
2007-04-15, 02:03 AM
For cartoon rules:
Any danger of any kind, be it anvils, wrecking balls, TNT, or broken bridges is not a threat if you're fast enough

For the Animé rules:

One theory (not yet proven) of anime physics is a charecters surival is directly related to how cool they are...

I read it somewhere, it's called "The Sephiroth Principle", it goes like this:
"Any misdeed up to and including multiple genocide is forgivable if you're cool enough."

Pyrian
2007-04-19, 08:49 PM
"Any decapitated head falling from a significant distance will land on and kill someone."

CardinalFang
2007-04-19, 09:13 PM
Cartoon Law IV

The time required for an object to fall twenty stories is greater than or equal to the time it takes for whoever knocked it off the ledge to spiral down twenty flights to attempt to capture it unbroken. Such an object is inevitably priceless, the attempt to capture it inevitably unsuccessful.

Amendment: Unless said object is in fact a baby, in which case a successful catch is guaranteed.

Alysar
2007-04-19, 11:25 PM
Amendment: Unless said object is in fact a baby, in which case a successful catch is guaranteed.

Not necessarily. There is also a good chance that the baby's blanket will catch on a flagpole sticking out from the side of the building, forcing the would-be catcher to have to tightrope-walk onto it to retrieve said baby. He will, of course, fall off halfway out for some reason or another after which the baby will crawl back along the flagpole and back into the building through a window.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-20, 07:32 AM
For cartoon rules:
Any danger of any kind, be it anvils, wrecking balls, TNT, or broken bridges is not a threat if you're fast enough

For the Animé rules:

I read it somewhere, it's called "The Sephiroth Principle", it goes like this:
"Any misdeed up to and including multiple genocide is forgivable if you're cool enough."

Was it this (http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html) list?

Dusk_Rider
2007-04-21, 10:07 AM
Here's a few I thought of browsing:

1. Inertia only exists for certain characters.
2. Cartoon characters will always have pockets, whether or not they are wearing clothing.
3. The aforementioned pockets are actually portals to the Hammerspace.
4. It is possible to ride a rocket or firework. It will never explode while ridden.
5. Dynamite will always explode at the intended time for the hero. The this is not always true for villains.
6. Crossdressing always works, until a vital portion of the disguise falls off. (often at the most inopportune times).
7. For various reasons, guns have a better-than-average chance of damaging the firer rather than the target.
8. Guns have the consistency of rubber, and can therefore be tied into knots.
9. A character's intelligence is usually inversely proportional to their size.
10. Dynamite can be easily disguised as just about anything.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-21, 10:25 AM
Environmental Laws

Mines always contain;

Tracks w/ mine carts
Gold, often as large nuggets (but no one re-opened the mine anyway)
Unused dynamite

Forests always contain;

Bears
Trees
No tracks or bins
Picnic baskets/tables
Rangers who are either kind and incompetent or exceptionally strict (and incompetent)
Hunters (legal or otherwise)

Deserts

Sand which look like oasis' via a mirage
Real ice cream shops
Sand
Rocks which are a similar colour to the sand

Cities

Fat police officers
The protagonist
Hot Dog salesmen
Banks
Hotels
Unprotected building sites

Haruki-kun
2007-04-23, 10:16 AM
Was it this (http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html) list?

Hahaha, yes, it was. :smallsmile:

Kriel
2007-04-23, 09:11 PM

Ammendment to 2. These bumps can be pushed back down, only to sprout back up after about a 1 second delay in another location.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-24, 06:20 AM
Ammendment to 2. These bumps can be pushed back down, only to sprout back up after about a 1 second delay in another location.

Plus, they aways push out with enough force to counteract the weight/energy of whatever caused them.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-24, 09:34 AM
No, because it wouldn't be as funny.

I know some laws of anime physics, I suppose they could count.

Though I can only remember one right now.

* Explosions in space are louder because there is no air to get in the way
Actually, a guy does it in the opening credits of the Taz Mania cartoon.
The effect is that instead of exploding, the bow sends the bowers backwards.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-24, 10:06 AM
Actually, a guy does it in the opening credits of the Taz Mania cartoon.
The effect is that instead of exploding, the bow sends the bowers backwards.

That brings back memories.

shaddy_24
2007-04-24, 03:36 PM
Never take a left turn at Alberkirky. You could end up anywhere from the time of the dinosaurs to the moon.

jindra34
2007-04-24, 03:37 PM
Never take a left turn at Alberkirky. You could end up anywhere from the time of the dinosaurs to the moon.

actually bugs bunny once took a left turn and ended up on mars... by digging... would love to see how...

Lavidor
2007-04-25, 07:19 AM
Whenever somebody falls off a high place, they will not hit the ground until they have a good strategy to get out of trouble or a few seconds afterwards.