PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Xp

Mulletman258
2015-03-14, 07:59 AM
What would the XP be for a CR 34 DEMIGOD kraken?

sideswipe
2015-03-14, 08:10 AM
What would the XP be for a CR 34 DEMIGOD kraken?

that is entirely dependent on the level the particular player is. entirely.

Vhaidara
2015-03-14, 08:35 AM
Also on what being a demigod added to the CR (though that should already be included).

It's worth noting that you can't level up more than once at a time. So, at most, the answer will be, for players at level X, "Enough to put the 1 XP away from level X+2"

sideswipe
2015-03-14, 08:42 AM
unless they are level 34 and optimised then would just "ding" them.

Vhaidara
2015-03-14, 08:45 AM
unless they are level 34 and optimised then would just "ding" them.

Note that I was naming a max value. Also, is XP even relevant at that level?

sideswipe
2015-03-14, 08:49 AM
Note that I was naming a max value. Also, is XP even relevant at that level?

no its not, but player rewards are a thing. so i would reward them with a level (which are basically pointless after 21 but give the players a warm fuzzy feeling).

bjoern
2015-03-14, 08:49 AM
Also on what being a demigod added to the CR (though that should already be included).

It's worth noting that you can't level up more than once at a time. So, at most, the answer will be, for players at level X, "Enough to put the 1 XP away from level X+2"

Really. I never knew this. Not that it should ever be an issue in a legitimate game. Something that would grant 2 levels worth of xp shouldnt have been thrown at the pcs. And a pc shoyldnt be able to overcome it.

And finding a dragon or something that is suicidal that says " please stab me here so I can die" doesn't count. Otherwise executioners would all be epic level badasses.

Mulletman258
2015-03-15, 02:32 AM
We had to fight a colossal kraken that had gained the powers of a demigod. Needless to say it was a tough fight. And apparently it helps so we were level 15 at the time.

EyethatBinds
2015-03-15, 08:13 AM
Remember, if something is more than 5 CRs higher than the party they actually shouldn't get experience from the fight since the DM helped them win. Or perhaps the challenge rating was overvalued.

Sian
2015-03-15, 08:53 AM
there is a nice table exactly for that in Epic Level Handbook

Furthermore at Epic level opponents should be within 8 levels of the players, not just 5 as in regular play (so a CR34 starts getting listed XP at player level 27)

sideswipe
2015-03-15, 08:59 AM
Remember, if something is more than 5 CRs higher than the party they actually shouldn't get experience from the fight since the DM helped them win. Or perhaps the challenge rating was overvalued.

ummm explicitly wrong by the chart in the DMG.

plus it does not ever ever state that they get no experience. just that any cr too easy should not really yield a reward. and any more than 8 levels higher (i think) and there must have been circumstances that allowed such a thing to happen that would have prevented the CR from being accurate, and that you should ADHOC a reward for the players, whether exp or otherwise.

i have been part of low-mid op party that was level 7 and took down an optimised CR15 encounter. i was the only really optimised person and only mid op. i spent 1/2 of my daily spells as buffs, being a war weaver the party had about 8-10 buffs each. the encounter even had help from a few lesser vampires sending swams and we were on its home turf, and had just come out of a CR10 encounter (literally 30 seconds apart) that was meant to make us turn around and did actually cause us some damage.

so everyone knows the CR system is flawed. but still it is very possible for a party to achieve anything with correct teamwork and properly prepared. you should never just write it off as "oh there was something wrong, you guys could have never taken that down on even footing".

Maglubiyet
2015-03-15, 09:20 AM
Frankly, if a level 15 party isn't taking down at least one or two CR34 kraken demigods a week I would assign them an xp penalty.

Mulletman258
2015-03-15, 07:40 PM
No one has even come close to the answer i wanted. Just a lot of criticism and saying either us or our DM cheated it. It wasn't easy. It destroyed almost everyone before we took it down.

Vhaidara
2015-03-15, 07:43 PM
I did answer you. You get enough XP to take you to the amount needed for level 17, minus 1. You cannot go up more than one level at a time. Since I don't know how much XP you are at now, I can't give you an exact number, just where you end up.

Also, you haven't given us enough info to calculate it anyways. We need 3 things
1. CR of enemy (given, 34)
2. Level of Party (given, 15)
3. Size of party (not given)

sideswipe
2015-03-15, 07:48 PM
No one has even come close to the answer i wanted. Just a lot of criticism and saying either us or our DM cheated it. It wasn't easy. It destroyed almost everyone before we took it down.

i also answered you. your DM must come up with a reward for you RAW. you don't get a specific amount of XP! rules have been stated and opinions said.

at your level i would just give you guys the max allowed in the rules. to go up to 1xp below 2 level ups.