PDA

View Full Version : Most Interesting Playable Races?

asnys
2015-03-14, 08:12 AM
Not best or most optimized. The races with either fluff or mechanics or both that make you want to play them even if the LA isn't worth it.

For myself, I'd go with the Unbodied, both for being a playable incorporeal race - always interesting - and for having hit dice that act as manifester levels, which I always think is a nice touch.

sideswipe
2015-03-14, 08:16 AM
i really like spell scales, i love the meditations they can do, they aren't great but could be useful in a metamagic build if you could switch which metamagics you can reduce.

Necroticplague
2015-03-14, 08:40 AM
Sharn. Multiple actions let you do some interesting things in a turn, they have some interesting fluff, they have dual casting, their stats aren't bad, if generic (+8 to +10 in everything). Oh yeah, and they fly, regeneration with a relatively rare weakness (seriously, outside of crappy specific items or random loot, how often do lawful weapons come up?). And they have a cool ability to open portals to cast through that, on anything else, would be too action-wasteful to be useful.

Unfortunately, ECL 9. Get a lot of goodies, but its not quite worth their ECl. Unless you wanted to be a dual-caster and start at level 10 at least, in which case they qualify for Mystic Theurge right out of the box.

On a similar note of 'cool and powerful, but way over-ECL' is the Void Walker. Mainly notable for being the only player race that has the [Void] Subtype, pretty much making them some of the sneakiest things out their (even a pixy is foiled by see invisible, you need at least true sight for these guys). A couple cool SLA as well (Like Greater Teleport at-will). Make for interesting Fiends of Possession.

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-14, 08:47 AM
I like Mephlings (Planar Handbook) but the +1 LA isn't worth it.

Likewise the Races of Destiny Half-ogre, which is Large and a bruiser but +2 LA.

One day in a low-op game I want to play a half-celestial with Magic in the Blood feat and feel like I'm half a cleric stapled to whatever class I'm actually playing... Maybe an archer of some kind to make use of the wings.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-14, 08:48 AM
Humanity will always be the most interesting for me.

Vhaidara
2015-03-14, 09:12 AM
Warforged, any form of Planetouched, Spellscales, Kobolds, Mongrelfolk, Illumians, Raptorans Goliaths, Shifters, Changelings...

You know what, put me down fro "Everything LA +1 and lower not in the PHB", and then add Thri-Kreen.

KillingAScarab
2015-03-14, 09:23 AM
The Sharakim in Races of Destiny seem interesting. +1 LA

Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun had the Hybsil and the Fey'ri. The former were Small quadrupedal fey and the latter were Elven Tieflings with that darn Fantasy apostrophe and selectable SLAs. Would have liked the chance to play either of those.

Chester
2015-03-14, 09:55 AM
Warforged

Yes.

Flavorwise, there are a lot of roleplaying options: a robot that doesn't understand the emotional aspects of his "humanity"; a machine that grapples with the concept of death; a warrior who tries to overcompensate for his machine-like appearance by attempting to do charitable deeds and find acceptance in a humanoid world.

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-14, 10:26 AM
Warforged aren't robots.

Vhaidara
2015-03-14, 10:29 AM
Warforged aren't robots.

They're close enough to be used as them.

Ralcos
2015-03-14, 10:37 AM
One of my favorite races is the Thri-Kreen.
Remembering them wants me to really bring back my idea of the Thri-Kreen Paladin named T'Chakkas. He was awesome.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-14, 10:47 AM
Not actually a race but i love playing a Natural Werewolf. Shift and rip stuff apart.

Also Goblinoids of all types make it for me. Goblins are fun for acting the coward and being a bit unhinged, Hobgoblins for the whole "Roman Legion" vibe, and Bugbears for being a giant hairy beast that makes an excellent Rogue. I thinks thats actually why i like Goblinoids, they are very differentiated.

asnys
2015-03-14, 10:57 AM
On a similar note of 'cool and powerful, but way over-ECL' is the Void Walker. Mainly notable for being the only player race that has the [Void] Subtype, pretty much making them some of the sneakiest things out their (even a pixy is foiled by see invisible, you need at least true sight for these guys). A couple cool SLA as well (Like Greater Teleport at-will). Make for interesting Fiends of Possession.

Wow, I'd never even heard of them. Now I kind of want to make a Void Walker... The +6 LA hurts, bad, but those hit dice are outsider hit dice, so they're not too awful for a skill monkey.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-14, 11:16 AM

So, what does the spell pain translate into in 3.5? As these guys look like fun so i may play one.

Necroticplague
2015-03-14, 11:54 AM
So, what does the spell pain translate into in 3.5? As these guys look like fun so i may play one.

Pain, from Complete Arcane, I'd assume. I thought the completes were 3.5 material?

Blackhawk748
2015-03-14, 11:59 AM
Pain, from Complete Arcane, I'd assume. I thought the completes were 3.5 material?

They are, i just couldnt find it on a cursory search of the interwebs :smalltongue: Well at least i know where it is now.

tadkins
2015-03-14, 12:24 PM
I've always found kobolds to be interesting, but never got the opportunity to play one. I do have a silly idea i'd love to try in a game though; a kobold paladin who firmly believes that he's related to metallic dragons (whether true or otherwise). Would be a challenge to play, but it could be fun.

atemu1234
2015-03-14, 12:38 PM
The Sharakim in Races of Destiny seem interesting. +1 LA

Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun had the Hybsil and the Fey'ri. The former were Small quadrupedal fey and the latter were Elven Tieflings with that darn Fantasy apostrophe and selectable SLAs. Would have liked the chance to play either of those.

Lesser Fey'ri are always fun.

Psyren
2015-03-14, 12:41 PM
I love races that look human but have a "dark side" - like Dhampirs, Hellbred, Fetchlings, and Synads.

I love basically every Planetouched because I'm a big fan of outsiders and elementals.

I'm also a huge fan of Blues.

tadkins
2015-03-14, 12:45 PM
I love races that look human but have a "dark side" - like Dhampirs, Hellbred, Fetchlings, and Synads.

I love basically every Planetouched because I'm a big fan of outsiders and elementals.

I'm also a huge fan of Blues.

Would Vasharan from BoVD count among that number? They seem kind of cool too.

oldkingkoal
2015-03-14, 12:59 PM
I've always found kobolds to be interesting, but never got the opportunity to play one. I do have a silly idea i'd love to try in a game though; a kobold paladin who firmly believes that he's related to metallic dragons (whether true or otherwise). Would be a challenge to play, but it could be fun.

Very possible, and with dragonwrought that can actually be the case.
Kobolds, according to 'Races of The Dragon', are actually more likely to be lawful than they are to be evil.
Plus a kobold follower of Bahumut isn't that big a stretch of the imagination, or any member of the draconic pantheon for that mater. In fact I think I remember there being a PrC specifically catering to paladins of Bahumut
... Kinda gives me the craving to make a kobold paladin now...

YossarianLives
2015-03-14, 01:04 PM
Yes.

Flavorwise, there are a lot of roleplaying options: a robot that doesn't understand the emotional aspects of his "humanity"; a machine that grapples with the concept of death; a warrior who tries to overcompensate for his machine-like appearance by attempting to do charitable deeds and find acceptance in a humanoid world.
I wish my players would play warforged like this. They just play them as complete psychopaths l.

Also Dvati.

tadkins
2015-03-14, 01:08 PM
Very possible, and with dragonwrought that can actually be the case.
Kobolds, according to 'Races of The Dragon', are actually more likely to be lawful than they are to be evil.
Plus a kobold follower of Bahumut isn't that big a stretch of the imagination, or any member of the draconic pantheon for that mater. In fact I think I remember there being a PrC specifically catering to paladins of Bahumut
... Kinda gives me the craving to make a kobold paladin now...

RP-wise it could be very fun. It'd just be a challenge to make work from a mechanical standpoint. Kobolds are frail little things. xD

cobaltstarfire
2015-03-14, 01:14 PM
A dragonkin, I've always really like to play one of those. But that probably won't ever happen because of their LA (and I have migrated).

I like kobolds, and I've gotten to play a few with varying levels of success in 3.5 though.

I also think it'd be fun to play an aarokocra, a gnoll, or a lizardfolk of some sort.

The interesting part for me is trying to figure out why they are adventurers and friendly and such. Since I don't really do evil.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-14, 01:14 PM
RP-wise it could be very fun. It'd just be a challenge to make work from a mechanical standpoint. Kobolds are frail little things. xD

This is why you play a Desert Kobold, they have a much better Con score. Seriously -4?? how are they still alive??

Psyren
2015-03-14, 01:22 PM
Would Vasharan from BoVD count among that number? They seem kind of cool too.

Too cartoonishly evil. Even Drow are like "you guys seriously need to chill."

tadkins
2015-03-14, 01:25 PM
This is why you play a Desert Kobold, they have a much better Con score. Seriously -4?? how are they still alive??

I forget exactly, but don't they breed like rabbits or something? There's always plenty of 'em.

I hope twirly mustaches are a racial feature for them.

M Placeholder
2015-03-14, 01:41 PM
The Dark Sun Thri-Kreen and the Half-Giant (The proper, 1200 pounds and 10 foot tall versions, not the watered down version in the XPH). I have both in my Dark Sun campaign. The Thri-Kreen, with their alien worldview and physiology, really help to make Athas a place even more alien and wild.

The Hengeyokai are also a pretty interesting race, with their ability to change shape, and their sorcery skills and interaction with humans.

A shout out to the Lupins too. Being able to play as a race that has established their version of France, are anthropomophic dogs, can be large, medium or small, and live on a hollow world is pretty appealing to me.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-14, 01:49 PM
I want to play an Awakened tree like that guy in that other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402935-Can-someone-make-sure-I-m-understanding-the-spell-Awaken-correctly) was talking about.

An Awakened tree rogue, with like Stealth and Climb maxed out, and become a burglar.

Troacctid
2015-03-14, 02:42 PM
Diopsid. They're pretty wacky. Four-armed insectoid race that uses their extra arms to dual-wield two-handed weapons? Weird! But cool!

Also, for LA +0 races, how about Hadozee? Anthropomorphic flying pirate gorillas? Is that out of the box or what?

Inevitability
2015-03-14, 03:38 PM

It's only -2 con. But you are right, kobolds are horribly underpowered.

Now that I think about it, it seems like WOTC tried to make every monstrous race either underpowered (kobold, goblin) or over-LA'ed (hobgoblin, merfolk). Except orcs, for some reason.

torrasque666
2015-03-14, 04:22 PM
Wow, I'd never even heard of them. Now I kind of want to make a Void Walker... The +6 LA hurts, bad, but those hit dice are outsider hit dice, so they're not too awful for a skill monkey.
Well now I'm curious. Where are these from?

asnys
2015-03-14, 04:27 PM
Well now I'm curious. Where are these from?

I found them here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031219a).

atemu1234
2015-03-14, 04:50 PM
It's only -2 con. But you are right, kobolds are horribly underpowered.

Now that I think about it, it seems like WOTC tried to make every monstrous race either underpowered (kobold, goblin) or over-LA'ed (hobgoblin, merfolk). Except orcs, for some reason.

No, they definitely tried with orcs.

Fluffy Viking
2015-03-14, 04:57 PM
Hadozee is one of them for sure. Who WOULDN'T want to play as a gliding sailor ape?

Shadar-Kai is another flavorful, interesting race that I would love to try but never had a chance.

Thurbane
2015-03-14, 06:37 PM
I'd love to play a Brood Monkey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a).

rrwoods
2015-03-14, 06:40 PM
Hengeyokai are pretty fun to play. I wasn't aware of the 3.5 errata so I went in with the LA +1, still a blast though.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-03-15, 12:40 AM
Humans. All other races have a stereotype that kinda pre-molds them. Humans literally are the 'anything' race.

Milo v3
2015-03-15, 02:01 AM
Dvati, Warforged and Dhampir.

Terazul
2015-03-15, 02:17 AM
Tibbits. Nothing like the good ol' Psychic Ninja Cat routine.

Also Warforged, (Saurian) Shifters, Half Giants, Changelings, etc. Really, that "everything LA+1 or lower not in the PHB" covers most of the interesting + playable ground.

Bane-Wordsmith
2015-03-15, 05:58 AM
Goblins are fun, you get the play the racial part of being judged most places you go, and make for interesting combinations; Goblin Wizard has to be my favourite.

Warforged are also up there, almost for the same reasons, plus you get the chance to play an existencial crisis. Who am I? What does it all mean? What if there isn't a God for warforged?

Vhaidara
2015-03-15, 07:11 AM
Humans. All other races have a stereotype that kinda pre-molds them. Humans literally are the 'anything' race.

So what? Screw that noise. Warforged Druids, Ifrit Hydrokineticists, Gravetouched Ghoul Clerics of Pelor, bring them to me.

sideswipe
2015-03-15, 07:16 AM
So what? Screw that noise. Warforged Druids, Ifrit Hydrokineticists, Gravetouched Ghoul Clerics of Pelor, bring them to me.

pixie barbarian and half orc wizard in the same party.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-15, 10:13 AM
pixie barbarian and half orc wizard in the same party.

Goblin Paladin who two hands a greatsword!! This sounds like a fun party, we just need an Aasimar Rogue to complete it :smallwink:

TheGeckoKing
2015-03-15, 10:33 AM
Malaugryms Sarrukhs Shaedlings Kenders Vril (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070504a) are quite interesting.

Zombulian
2015-03-15, 12:18 PM
I'd love to play a Brood Monkey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a).

Oh boy. That is one weird race. I'm struggling with trying to see how one would play it.

atemu1234
2015-03-15, 02:55 PM
Goblin Paladin who two hands a greatsword!! This sounds like a fun party, we just need an Aasimar Rogue to complete it :smallwink:

I had an Aasimar Rogue once.

Elkad
2015-03-15, 04:07 PM
Elves.

I always try to make it fit, but it's always a terrible choice so I go with something else.

asnys
2015-03-16, 01:28 PM
I just found this one on the Wizards archives: Starkin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001101a), also known as Stellar Devas. No level adjustment listed - it's from 3.0 days - but it looks rather interesting.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-16, 01:30 PM
I can't remember their name anymore, but there's a race that's basically one creature in two bodies.

That race.

Necroticplague
2015-03-16, 01:31 PM
I can't remember their name anymore, but there's a race that's basically one creature in two bodies.

That race.

Dvati, from the Dragon Compendium.

ShurikVch
2015-03-16, 02:54 PM
Beguiler (Shining South). Constant True Seeing for no extra LA or HD? Yes, please! :smallsmile: Also, because it's a Magical Beast, Beguiler is legal for Arachnoid template, which will give him 4 extra limbs for no extra LA

Bakhna Rakhna (Denizens of Dread) - because it's so much better than goblin in role of "Small evil critter": ECL 1 Monstrous Humanoid with +6 Dex, +4 Con & Cha, Poison, and Phase Door 3/day. Disadvantages: -2 Str & Int, Light Sensitivity

Tressym (LEoF) - to be Happy (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Happy)

Pegasus - because Friendship is Magic :smallamused:

Alven (Carrot Tops or Fire Flits) (Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey) - Diminutive Fey without any Str penalty! Also, handful of SLAs, Alternate Form, and Survival check against Illusion spells. 3 HD and LA +1. Unfortunately, take damage from sunlight...

Troacctid
2015-03-16, 03:26 PM
I didn't mention Half-Celestial before, but... Half-Celestial. Play as an angel. Not some namby-pamby shoulder angel, but a flying, spellcasting, ass-kicking machine.

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-16, 06:56 PM
I didn't mention Half-Celestial before, but... Half-Celestial. Play as an angel. Not some namby-pamby shoulder angel, but a flying, spellcasting, ass-kicking machine.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! What class would you go for?

Troacctid
2015-03-16, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! What class would you go for?

Assuming gestalt, because +4 LA is unplayable in a normal game: Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 5/Cleric X//(LA 4)/Warblade X

Domains are War, Glory, and Pride. Feats include Resounding Blow, Awesome Smite, Extra Turning, and Frightful Presence.

You are a righteous avenger, a holy champion of justice and light. When you soar out across the battlefield, wielding a sword that shines as bright as the light of a new dawn, your allies are inspired and your enemies quail in fear.

Vhaidara
2015-03-16, 07:47 PM
Assuming gestalt, because +4 LA is unplayable in a normal game: Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 5/Cleric X//(LA 4)/Warblade X

Domains are War, Glory, and Pride. Feats include Resounding Blow, Awesome Smite, Extra Turning, and Frightful Presence.

You are a righteous avenger, a holy champion of justice and light. When you soar out across the battlefield, wielding a sword that shines as bright as the light of a new dawn, your allies are inspired and your enemies quail in fear.

I've actually run one in tristalt. T.G. Oskar Monk//T.G. Oskar Paladin/LA/Incanate. Vow of Poverty, blind son of a seraphim and an azurin. Looked something like this (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130402190032/digimon/images/0/08/Angemon_b.jpg). GM let me use a quarterstaff as my Incarnate Weapon.

Libertad
2015-03-17, 03:23 PM

This sums up the Book of Vile Darkness in general.

Anyway, I've kind of liked the appeal and generic nature of tieflings. They have a potentially useful SLA (darkness) and their fiendish heritage backstory makes for some good role-playing opportunities.

I find many aesthetics of drow interesting, too, even if the race tends to have a problematic history among gaming tables. I guess part of the appeal is due to all the fan material (both amateur and professional) created about them over the years. I think pulling an Eberron and making them non-evil (or just as evil as humans) would be a popular option for many PCs on account of the DM not having to pull their hair out about Drizz't clone "angsty rebels" and "how the hell is the party not going to be attacked on sight?!" questions. :smallsmile:

Zombulian
2015-03-17, 06:33 PM
Incarnate Construct Maug. 2RHD LA+1 Giant +10 Str +4 Dex +2 Int +2 Cha. Not the best you can do with that template, but one of the easier, cheeseless, and sensible options.

Edit: Plus you get to play an extraplanar soldier robot who got Pinocchio'd.

Threadnaught
2015-03-17, 07:51 PM
Warforged aren't robots.

Are you sure about that, this unit designated Five Dash H Dash Four Dash D Dash Zero is most certainly a robot and would not appreciate you pointing out it's sapience. Not that it has the ability to appreciate anything or possesses sapience, these are all malicious rumours spread by the enemies of the Solar STR. - 5-H-4-D-0 Not pronounced "Shadow".

Additionally, Kobolds have decent fluff and are formidable in crunch.

Then there's the Illumians who are living writing, Raptorans who are effectively medium sized bird-Kobolds, from the Race series, Goliaths look interesting, but I'd have to read up on them.

whisperwind1
2015-03-18, 07:32 AM
Svirfneblin all the way. I've wanted to play a surly, serious-business Gnome who wants people to get off his lawn ever since I laid eyes on the race in the Advanced Race Guide. Or if not surly, then the ultimate straight-man who sternly disapproves of those silly surface Gnomes and their antics. "Bleaching? Bah I've never told a joke in my life and look how I turned out!". Mechanically they are a little OP (forget how much nat spell resistance they have), but I'd beg the DM to waive it just so I could play the character. Crunch-wise it'd probably be a rogue or something awesome like an Arcanist or mutagen-alchemist (grumpy grey-skinned mini-hulks ftw!).

Also Tengu are cool, but only the yamabushi variant (long-nosed tengu). There's a racial feat available in Pathfinder that allows the tengu to assume the long-nose form once per day and get a Con boost (and wings I think). I'd ask the DM to let me switch out the transformation, and make the long-nosed form my base and the crow form my feat transformation. Tengu in the fluff are legit spirits who have assumed a semi-permanent form anyway, and become mortals. Makes sense that some chose to breed as yamabushi instead of karasu-tengu.

Orcs are always cool (because Warcraft), but their stats in 3.X sadden me. Is there a way to get myself an orc who isn't totally statted towards evil/brutal careers?

ShurikVch
2015-03-18, 10:21 AM
Darkling Snatcher (Dangerous Denizens): Small Humanoid (Goblinoid); 2 HD, LA +1; -2 Str, +6 Dex & Cha; SLAs: Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleep.htm) - 2/day, Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) and Silence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm) - at will. Just take feats Intensify Darkness, Instinctive Darkness, and At Home In The Deep - and now you can use Deeper Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deeperDarkness.htm) at will, as an immediate action, without provoking AoO, and see in it!

Orcs are always cool (because Warcraft), but their stats in 3.X sadden me. Is there a way to get myself an orc who isn't totally statted towards evil/brutal careers? How about the Scro (https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0259/07/1373365542550.gif) from Spelljammer?
Also there is Warcraft the RPG. Orcs there have +2 Con, -2 Int and LA +0.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-18, 10:54 AM
My favorite race to play is definitely Aasimar, but I love Half-Elves from a fluff standpoint. I also have my sights set on a Pixie that will only speak in rhymes and riddles.

Solaris
2015-03-18, 12:41 PM
I'm fond of warforged (robots!), thri-kreen (bugs!), and lizardmen (dinosaurs!).

I still plan on making a lizardman who rides a pre-errata velociraptor or, if appropriate for the level, a tyrannosaur, because dinosaur.

Zombulian
2015-03-18, 02:39 PM
Orcs are always cool (because Warcraft), but their stats in 3.X sadden me. Is there a way to get myself an orc who isn't totally statted towards evil/brutal careers?

Sharakim were mentioned earlier I think. A race cursed to look like orcs but are so devoted to proving the Stereotype wrong that they often act more proper than regular humans. +2str -2dex +2int -2cha. From Races of Destiny.

Feint's End
2015-03-18, 02:59 PM
Also Tengu are cool, but only the yamabushi variant (long-nosed tengu). There's a racial feat available in Pathfinder that allows the tengu to assume the long-nose form once per day and get a Con boost (and wings I think). I'd ask the DM to let me switch out the transformation, and make the long-nosed form my base and the crow form my feat transformation. Tengu in the fluff are legit spirits who have assumed a semi-permanent form anyway, and become mortals. Makes sense that some chose to breed as yamabushi instead.

Actually all that feat does is transforming you into a human with a long nose giving you a bonus to strength and scent. I'm not sure which feat you are talking about.