PDA

View Full Version : Do vrock spores stack?

gogogome
2015-03-14, 12:39 PM
A player of mine is using a vrock in combat.

So does the 1d8 initial spore damage affect an already spore-infested creature? If so, do the secondary 1d4 spore damage every round renew its duration, stack with previous castings, or is ignored?

Blackhawk748
2015-03-14, 12:51 PM
I see no reason why the spores would not stack with themselves. Its like firing multiple Melf's Acid Arrows, each one has its own timer and keeps doing damage until its up. Now that being said this is 3.5 so i could be completely wrong, as we all know how RAW can be :smalltongue:

Boost
2015-03-14, 12:53 PM

So does the 1d8 initial spore damage affect an already spore-infested creature? If so, do the secondary 1d4 spore damage every round renew its duration, stack with previous castings, or is ignored?

Each use of the spore ability would count as a separate attack, just like multiple castings of a DPR spell like Melf's Acid Arrow. If you get hit twice, you're taking 2d4 damage per round. If you get hit three times, you're taking 3d4 damage per round.

The duration on each works separately from the round each attack hits. So, for example, if the Vrock used spores three rounds in a row, then switched to other attacks for the rest of the battle, the spore damage would play out as follows:

Round 1: Spore attack 1d8 dmg
Round 2: 2nd spore attack 1d8 dmg + ongoing 1d4 dmg from the first attack
Round 3: 3rd spore attack 1d8 dmg + ongoing 2d4 dmg from first and second attacks
Rounds 4-11: 3d4 damage per round from all three ongoing spore growths
Round 12: First spore attack duration has expired (it dealt damage for 10 rounds from round 2 to round 11), so you only take 2d4 damage this round
Round 13: Second spore attack has also expired, so you only take 1d4 damage
Round 14: If you're still alive after the grand total of 3d8+30d4 damage you already took, you're in the clear.

Effects like this that stack DPR are very effective if you want to be able to use other effects on the remaining rounds. For example, the Vrock could drink a healing potion on round 4 if he's been damaged by his opponent, but he would still be causing the 3d4 ongoing damage without having to use his turn to do it.

atemu1234
2015-03-15, 08:15 PM

Yes, yes it would, as they seem untyped.