PDA

View Full Version : Converting to the faith

Ouroborosi
2015-03-14, 12:44 PM
Just a question...

Is it possible that Harley's conversion to the faith of Thor.
Will be Hell's undoing?

Quild
2015-03-14, 01:08 PM
I really don't expect Durkon to be discovered before he reveals himself by accomplishing something major.

Keltest
2015-03-14, 05:52 PM
I doubt it. Roy is also nominally a follower of all the northern gods, so unless she accidentally picked a class level in Cleric while she was drunk (which would be an interesting plot twist) Thor's ability to act has not been improved.

Emperordaniel
2015-03-14, 11:26 PM
I really doubt that Haley's "conversion" to Thor-worship (if it was even seriously intended) will mess up the plans of the IFCC.

Oh wait, wrong Hell... :smalltongue:

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-03-15, 08:47 AM
This possibility has been raised before and I think it is rather unlikely, to say the least.

Bird
2015-03-15, 07:56 PM
I think she takes her Thor-conversion pretty seriously. She has gotten awfully good at swinging a big hammer around.

http://www.illmosis.net/artwork/harleyquinn_mallet_color_600p.jpg

Ridin'TheCrash
2015-03-16, 11:42 PM
I think she takes her Thor-conversion pretty seriously. She has gotten awfully good at swinging a big hammer around.

http://www.illmosis.net/artwork/harleyquinn_mallet_color_600p.jpg

Bird, while I love both characters, i believe your looking over a very important "R"

rodneyAnonymous
2015-03-16, 11:47 PM
Bird, while I love both characters, i believe your looking over a very important "R"

No, Bird is joking about a mistake in the OP, not making a new one.

littlebum2002
2015-03-17, 09:21 AM
I doubt it. Roy is also nominally a follower of all the northern gods, so unless she accidentally picked a class level in Cleric while she was drunk (which would be an interesting plot twist) Thor's ability to act has not been improved.

That's something I've always wondered about D&D. WHat happens if you take a level in a class but forget which one? Do you automatically know which powers you have? Or are you unable to use them unless you know you learned them?

kivzirrum
2015-03-17, 09:41 AM
Hmm. I imagine one wouldn't be able to use a skill they didn't know they had. But trying to figure out how that would work in any "realistic" way is hurting my brain.

Zyzzyva
2015-03-17, 09:56 AM
That's something I've always wondered about D&D. WHat happens if you take a level in a class but forget which one? Do you automatically know which powers you have? Or are you unable to use them unless you know you learned them?

I think if you level up and take a class while blackout drunk, you automatically get the level in Drunken Master. :smalltongue:

Keltest
2015-03-17, 11:22 AM

Personally were I DMing, I just wouldn't allow you to spend the level if you wouldn't be able to remember doing so. The whole idea is youre learning new skills, but if you cant actually remember them...

Bird
2015-03-17, 03:23 PM
D&D tends to make a big deal of record sheets. So do pretty much all the players I've ever known.

Especially in 3E, there's so much little stuff to to do when you level (assign feats, roll hp, assign skill points, etc), that you're almost certainly writing stuff down.

Losing the sheet is another issue, though...then you're kinda at the DM's mercy.

Emperordaniel
2015-03-17, 09:59 PM
D&D tends to make a big deal of record sheets. So do pretty much all the players I've ever known.

Especially in 3E, there's so much little stuff to to do when you level (assign feats, roll hp, assign skill points, etc), that you're almost certainly writing stuff down.

Losing the sheet is another issue, though...then you're kinda at the DM's mercy.

I think he was referring to the player's character being drunk while leveling up. :smalltongue:

Bird
2015-03-17, 10:36 PM
I think he was referring to the player's character being drunk while leveling up. :smalltongue:
Depends how much fun your campaign is, yeah? :smallwink:

Anyway, can't you just initiate procedure "check to see if I have every power"? As in, go through the spells you might have gained and see if you can cast/prepare them, try to rage, etc. If you're a cleric (especially of Thor), won't he (or his underlings) toss you a bone when you pray?

Mind, some powers (like uncanny dodge) are a lot more fun to check for than others.

(More serious-ish answer: one assumption DMs make is that you're actively training/improving in a given direction all the while you're gaining xp--it's only an abstraction/convenience that you pick a level of ranger at a given moment. So, it doesn't matter if you were blackout drunk while you were bumping off that purple worm at the end. The only way you could "forget" your level of ranger would be if you "forgot" the entire period it took to gain the level.)

((Though, if you were blackout drunk while you were bumping off that purple worm, maybe the DM should cut you a break?))

On the subject of bizarre character amnesia: you forget you're a paladin and accidentally fall. Hah!

Zyzzyva
2015-03-17, 10:42 PM
On the subject of bizarre character amnesia: you forget you're a paladin and accidentally fall. Hah!

"No, seriously, guys. Why did I apparently take a level in Warrior? And why won't Heironeous return my calls anymore?"

Reboot
2015-03-18, 12:15 AM
What is Haley "really", religion-wise, anyway? We've had gags with her "converting" to Thorism and (Reformed) Banjoism, but never what she really thinks. In a D&D world, where gods are provable facts, it isn't possible to be a genuine athiest, no? (At most you get a situation like Roy, where he follows the Northern Gods mostly because he doesn't want them POed at him)

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-03-18, 06:12 AM
What is Haley "really", religion-wise, anyway? We've had gags with her "converting" to Thorism and (Reformed) Banjoism, but never what she really thinks. In a D&D world, where gods are provable facts, it isn't possible to be a genuine athiest, no? (At most you get a situation like Roy, where he follows the Northern Gods mostly because he doesn't want them POed at him)

I'm pretty sure Haley worships money.

kivzirrum
2015-03-18, 06:23 AM

I don't know about within the OotS world, but in D&D characters can refuse to worship or acknowledge the existence of gods, and I believe they're considered atheists. I know that such a thing carries harsh penalties in the Forgotten Realms (Wall of the Faithless. Not a good time). Not sure about other settings, and again--not sure about within the world of OotS.

Certainly, I think "Haley worships money" is a perfectly accurate way to describe her :smalltongue:

D.One
2015-03-18, 10:09 AM
I've allways seen such situations as less "character is an atheist" e more as "character doesn't venerate any god" (and thus is subject to the cited harshness of each etting), because that's not like the character can say "Hey, mr. god-who-is-in-front-of-me-throwing-lightnings-at-me! I don't believe you exist!".

On the other hand, I've been DM in a setting where there were two main religions: a polytheistic one, with 13 gods represented by 13 moons, and a monotheistic one, whose followers venerated a single Sun god, who had created everything, including the other 13. The followers of the Danyassamari (Sun religion) faith knew the 13 Vaeran (how they called the moon gods) existed, but didn't considered them "true gods", just very powerful beings, kinda "super-angels". The name they used for them (Vaeran) meant, in their language, "First Children of the Light", representing the fact that they saw them as powerful, yet not divine, beings.

Fish
2015-03-18, 02:17 PM
Rich plays with the trope of characters leveling up through the process of adjusting their character sheet, and mocks the presumption that it represents the training that was happening to reach that point. I wouldn't mistake that single instant of "add Cle 1" (the symbol) for the process ("learning to be a cleric") in an actual campaign.

Porthos
2015-03-19, 02:15 AM

Atheists in D&D generally aren't of the "they don't exist" creed and more of the "those things are powerful, sure, but they're not gods" or "whatever they are, they don't deserve to be worshiped as gods".

In essence, they deny the divinity part not the existence part. And in a setting where Gods Need Prayer Badly (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodsNeedPrayerBadly), this could be quite problematic if such notions got out of hand.

Well, according to things claiming to be gods, at any rate. :smalltongue::smalltongue:

EDIT:::

The thing that can really bake one's noodle is that in D&D it is quite possible to be a cleric who is also an atheist. Even before the concept of "of a cause" entered into the game in 3.x, there were the Athar running around, some of whom worshiped "The Great Unknown". Not only did they get clerical spells (though no one, including the gods, could ever really figure out from where or from whom), they were (in pre-3x days) better at it, generally speaking, than other clerics as long as they weren't on the Inner Planes.

These two facts tended to annoy Powers to no end. Sadly for the Athar, annoyed Powers aren't the best of enemies to have. :smalltongue:

allenw
2015-03-19, 09:45 AM
If Crystal kills Haley, we'll get to see whether or not she ends up in Valhalla. Which might be a way for her to find out about Durkula, now that I think about it.

Emperordaniel
2015-03-19, 09:53 AM
If Crystal kills Haley, we'll get to see whether or not she ends up in Valhalla. Which might be a way for her to find out about Durkula, now that I think about it.

Since the Order generally assumes that Durkula is still controlled by Durkon's soul, Now With BloodCravingtm, that wouldn't help all that much.

Unless Thor shows up in person to inform her of the situation.

Reddish Mage
2015-03-20, 08:47 PM

I doubt we'll see a repeat of a character in the afterlife come back full of plot-relevant knowledge. That little trick was good for a one-off.

woweedd
2015-03-27, 05:40 PM
Atheists in D&D generally aren't of the "they don't exist" creed and more of the "those things are powerful, sure, but they're not gods" or "whatever they are, they don't deserve to be worshiped as gods".

In essence, they deny the divinity part not the existence part. And in a setting where Gods Need Prayer Badly (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodsNeedPrayerBadly), this could be quite problematic if such notions got out of hand.

Well, according to things claiming to be gods, at any rate. :smalltongue::smalltongue:

EDIT:::

The thing that can really bake one's noodle is that in D&D it is quite possible to be a cleric who is also an atheist. Even before the concept of "of a cause" entered into the game in 3.x, there were the Athar running around, some of whom worshiped "The Great Unknown". Not only did they get clerical spells (though no one, including the gods, could ever really figure out from where or from whom), they were (in pre-3x days) better at it, generally speaking, than other clerics as long as they weren't on the Inner Planes.

These two facts tended to annoy Powers to no end. Sadly for the Athar, annoyed Powers aren't the best of enemies to have. :smalltongue:
Yeah. I mean, after all, in a setting where Wizards actually exist, who's to say the Gods aren't just really powerful mortals? Probably doesn't help that in quite a few settings, some Gods are actually mortals who ascended and thus basically are just really powerful mortals.

Emperordaniel
2015-03-27, 08:46 PM
Yeah. I mean, after all, in a setting where Wizards actually exist, who's to say the Gods aren't just really powerful mortals? Probably doesn't help that in quite a few settings, some Gods are actually mortals who ascended and thus basically are just really powerful mortals.

The OotS setting is actually one of those, seeing as both the Dark One of the goblinoids and the unspecified Elven additions to the Western Pantheon are specifically mentioned as ascended mortals in-comic. :smallwink:

Zyzzyva
2015-03-28, 10:35 AM
The OotS setting is actually one of those, seeing as both the Dark One of the goblinoids and the unspecified Elven additions to the Western Pantheon are specifically mentioned as ascended mortals in-comic. :smallwink:

But it also sort of isn't, given that Thor, Marduk, Dragon, Zeus et al specifically predated the universe. I'm cool with them being ascended folks from another universe, but there are god gods in OOTS too.

...Also, the elves joined the Western Pantheon? I know elfland is in the West, but the elves are, you know, isolationist jerks. I kinda assumed the elf pantheon is its own, smaller weaker independent pantheon.

Emperordaniel
2015-03-28, 11:00 AM
...Also, the elves joined the Western Pantheon? I know elfland is in the West, but the elves are, you know, isolationist jerks. I kinda assumed the elf pantheon is its own, smaller weaker independent pantheon.

Word of Giant has it that the Elven gods are supplementary to the "main" gods of the Western Pantheon - some of whom are also worshiped by the Elves. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?404430-Are-elves-an-inferior-race&p=18980508#post18980508) :smallsmile:

Zyzzyva
2015-03-28, 11:03 AM
Word of Giant has it that the Elven gods are supplementary to the "main" gods of the Western Pantheon - some of whom are also worshiped by the Elves. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?404430-Are-elves-an-inferior-race&p=18980508#post18980508) :smallsmile:

Huh. Thanks! :smallsmile:

137beth
2015-03-29, 05:03 PM
I am fairly confident that Harley's religion will have little impact on the story. Just as I expect Ray's sword, Versvuvivus' familiar, and Dorkon's transformation into a mummy to have minimal impact.

I totally stole this from Cizak.

Zyzzyva
2015-03-30, 10:01 AM
I am fairly confident that Harley's religion will have little impact on the story. Just as I expect Ray's sword, Versvuvivus' familiar, and Dorkon's transformation into a mummy to have minimal impact.

I totally stole this from Cizak.

Now I want to see the adventures of Ray Redblade et al, and how they're dealing with the fact that party cleric Murkon Lightninghammer has been turned into a mummy. :smallbiggrin:

goodpeople25
2015-03-30, 10:12 AM
Now I want to see the adventures of Ray Redblade et al, and how they're dealing with the fact that their party cleric has been turned into a mummy. :smallbiggrin:
Who's the father?:smallwink: Hildar the favoured soul of Loki?
:smallbiggrin: