PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy now? no...

themaque
2015-03-14, 06:58 PM
What's the worst character you've made? Something you honestly feel guilty over.

RP'ing a character so anti-social you made the game no fun for anyone else.

Optimizing a character to the point you made others and even yourself feel bad.

I have two, one of which was Optimization Overload. I made an archer in a 3.5 game that I tweaked and loaded with prestige classes, cross trained, and hunted down obscure wands of spells not normally found on a fighter.

I used his full potential ONCE.

http://www.animallogic.com/getattachment/Studios/Work/Hero/HERO_GALLERY_2-(1).jpg

I felt so bad I didn't use my full potential for the rest of the game. While other PC's where getting mad story perks and even a templet for one guy, I was just a guy who was really really good with pointed sticks, and I still felt bad If i let loose.

Silus
2015-03-14, 07:04 PM
Less "feel bad" in the "I did something wrong" way and more in the "This is just too silly" way, I made, for a Palladium game, a Minotaur wrestler.

A Luchador to be specific.

I named him "The Moochador".

He spoke like a combination of Macho Man Randy Savage, The Rock and Hulk Hogan and flexed when he talked.

Gritmonger
2015-03-14, 09:52 PM
Mutants and Masterminds.

I made a guy with emotion and mind control, double-subtle, insidious, and a one-point directional disintegrate aura (toughness drain), objects only. He had a five-level punch/ranged attack alternate, and not much in the way of armor (five levels of luck-based toughness), in a PL10 game. Those were his only powers.

He was - the most interesting man in the world.

The first scenario we ran, to "test out" our characters, he rowed out in a small rowboat while the rest of the players were getting ready to fight and dodge a combined "enemy" force (friendlies with nonlethal weapons) of two armed helicopters with ten soldiers each.

He suggested they all come down for a beer.

One failed save later, they all decided for themselves that having a beer in a rowboat was a lot better than doing some silly exercise. All of them. Exercise over.

Vitruviansquid
2015-03-14, 10:50 PM
I can't remember ever making a character that was optimized or unoptimized to a degree that it made me feel guilty to play. This is possibly because I don't like playing games that you can break easily with optimization.

I did feel slightly bad about the one time I played a one-shot set in a sci-fi setting where I took an "ex military" character. My character's backstory included fighting a war on Uranus where he's "seen some ****." The DM found it significantly less funny than I did.

Kane0
2015-03-14, 10:51 PM
There was this one time we had a 3.5 game that later turned into a 4e, and my character was the only one to survive the transition.
Instead of rewriting him as a proper 4e warlock he became a frankensteins monster of homebrew and houserules that in the end left him a damage dealing powerhouse with some insane defenses for a striker. I felt bad about using his invisibility, flight and other tricks.

And what made it worse was that the DM at one point just gave me a ring that 1/day adds my level in d10's to the damage of one of my eldritch blasts. I used it once.

themaque
2015-03-14, 11:53 PM
Bad character choice example.

I was playing a dwarf barbarian named Mad Badger. We where traveling through a savannah and he was hoping to kill a wyvern. Why? Badger just thought it would be fun and I heard they where in the area. The concept was Troll Slayer from Warhammer. He was WANTING to die in combat and relished the opportunity. he was sleeping in the covered wagon when I heard

"WYVERN WYVERN WYVERN!"

Badger LEAPED from the tent ready to fight when... nothing. The druid was laughing at him.

-THUNK-

He hurls an ax into the post by the druid's head "Don't do that again"

"Ha! good thing we didn't see a wyvern, can't even hit a man 20 feet from you!"

"I didn't miss"

"sure sure whatever you.. WAGH!"

The second ax hits the druid.

"I didn't miss"

He casts entangle. "What are you insane?!?"

"Take this spell off me, or else"

"NO! you hit me, all I did was have a joke and you hit me!"

"RARGH!"

Badger rages, rips through the entanglement, and reaches the druid. He is an alternate druid who instead of shapeshift can rage, so he feels he will show me what he can do.

What the Druid could do was lose. Finally he throws down his axes and stares at me defiantly. I asked if he looked submissive or remorseful in any way. "No, I stands there defiantly"

AND that's where I went to far. The Barbarian, who was still raging, strikes him down and screams "ANYONE ELSE!?!" That is when the Warlock shot badger with eldritch blast.

Long story short [to late] I ended up killing everyone but the guy playing my brother. We still had people to save, so ended up going back to town in order to try and recruit more help.

This is my example of me letting playing my character get in the way of playing the game. I should have just let him walk it off, cool off. No one else seemed to get when I wasn't asking for people to defy me, Badger needed ONE person to say "NO please stop!" but... I should have stopped him. It was in character, but i was a BAD ROLE PLAYER and I regret it. When you are so caught up in your character, you make choices that hurt the party as a whole.

themaque
2015-03-14, 11:54 PM
I did feel slightly bad about the one time I played a one-shot set in a sci-fi setting where I took an "ex military" character. My character's backstory included fighting a war on Uranus where he's "seen some ****." The DM found it significantly less funny than I did.

Can't see how this is anything short of AWESOME.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-15, 12:12 AM
I've never regretted playing a character, but there are games I've regretted playing in or running.

Pex
2015-03-15, 01:24 AM
2E game. Player's Options series in use. One player wanted to play a githzerai just for the spell resistance. The DM allowed it. Another player thought that was a good idea and decided to play a githzerai as well. The DM allowed it. That told me this was going to be a munchkin game. I went hog wild min/maxing with my character. I started off with a cleric and turned him into a paladin. It had everything a 2E paladin gets with better spellcasting. It wasn't full cleric spellcasting, but then I only had the spheres/access to spells I wanted to cast anyway. I went overboard with the disadvantages to pay for extra stuff I didn't really need to see how far I could take the character in its build. I soon left the group due to meta-game reasons with the DM, but for the character's sake I was disgusted with it because it was the first and only time the only thing I cared about was the plusses.

Loxagn
2015-03-15, 07:55 AM
I was invited to an Eberron game, the premise of which was that we were, in essence, hunting Daelkyr.

I was told to 'bring my optimization a-game'. I asked what the party included, and was told that at present, other party members included an Abjurer/Incantatrix, a Karrnath native Necromancer (not necessarily Evil in that setting, generally accepted), A Warforged Artificer who was operating on just about half-again his WBL because of class features and Item Familiar, and a Factotum who could, quote, 'do just about anything about as well as anyone could'.

Seeing that the party lacked any sort of frontline fighter, I opted to make a ClericZilla. What followed was a character build I don't remember incredibly well as it was a long time ago, but I do recall that she had her Wisdom modifier to AC three times, wis mod to Hit twice, and added it to damage and all saves, too. Cloistered Cleric with a Swordsage dip and some prestige classes I'd found somewhere that gave wisdom-based bonuses, plus the Saint template. And I mean this was grade-AAA gouda. Divine Metamagic: Persist, Knowledge Devotion, the works. I felt bad. She was borderline-impossible to hit due to an AC that was boosted into the Stratosphere, had saves that were similarly ridiculous, and due to her spellcasting couldn't simply be ignored.