PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek RPG/Attack Wing Idea - Recommendations Requested

Strormer
2015-03-14, 10:06 PM
So I've been a Star Trek fan for a very long time and I've been going back back and watching The Next Generation on Netflix. It's been really making me want to look into playing a tabletop Star Trek RPG. I've never really looked into one before, but I've heard from other gamers I know that the games always break down when it comes to ship-level combat. To this end, my question is twofold:

1: Which Star Trek RPG, if any, would my fellow playgrounders recommend? And if you wouldn't recommend any official Star Trek system, is there a system out there that you think would fit well in a Star Trek setting?

2: What do you think about using the Star Trek Attack Wing game as a stand in for ship-level combat? (Creating custom ships and crew-cards for all the players, creating special objectives, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mando Knight
2015-03-14, 11:41 PM
It sounds like a neat idea at the start, but I don't know: are the players all going to be in one ship, and how would you translate a party of bridge officers into Attack Wing combat?

As for the system, I'm not familiar with any of the licensed products, and if you're familiar enough with the source material you probably don't really need a special system to run it in... FATE or GURPS could do the job handily, or if you prefer a d20-style system, Star Wars Saga Edition could have its franchise specifics filed off and have Trek ones glued on (wouldn't be the first time: the Talarian Warship studio model uses parts from an Imperial Star Destroyer kit).

Strormer
2015-03-15, 11:03 AM
My biggest concerns for the attack wing portion is that it's a rather slow-paced game and it doesn't allow very well for multiple players without multiple ships. My initial idea is to include extra "actions" each round where players can attempt do do things related to their specializations that would affect how the turn progressed for their ship, but it still seems like it would be too little and too slow.

If there are no suggestions for quality Star Trek specific systems then I'm going to choose between Saga Edition Star Wars or the AGE system, as I'm a fan of both. Between the two, I'm favoring AGE as I've already half-developed a Mass Effect game in that system and so it would be less work, in my mind, to translate Star Trek. That said, if there was a system that already had the elements of Star Trek mixed into its design, I wanted to look into it first.

In either case, thanks for the input.