PDA

View Full Version : Wanting some help on a Pathfinder Sentinel build

The Park Ranger
2015-03-15, 03:00 AM
I suck at starting threads. Do you go on and on with pleasantries, or just get straight to the point? I've got no idea, and will just go with the second.

My Pathfinder group is playing a campaign in which we recently needed to find "The Sword of the Champion", a magical sword which we needed as a symbol for us to lead a rebellion against the corrupt ruler of the country we live in. It took us a while, but we eventually cut it out of the dragon that had swallowed it. The DM gave me a card with its stats, and the thing's impressive: it's a bastard sword that rolls a singular d6 for base damage, but the sides have six powers of 2 on them: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64. It also has a ton of other abilities I haven't memorized, but in short, the thing's pretty powerful.

The problem is that I'm playing a Lawful Good Paladin of Iomedae, and the sword has a high chance to, well, take over my Paladins mind after each battle he uses it in. Well, if I fail my DC 27 Will save, he's forced to become Chaotic for a few hours, and this will cause him to lose his Paladin abilities, taking a massive chunk of his power. Because I don't want to lose my class features after most battles, I've looked for alternative classes to move into(the DM is fairly chill about tweaking and altering your character as long as you can justify the changes).

I found the Sentinel, a prestige class that allows him to remain as a religious warrior, but as the abilities are largely non-magical, the DM agreed to have me not lost them when I switch from Lawful to Chaotic Good. Now, I just have to spec out the actual build. I'm thinking I'll do a Sword and Board build, as a bastard sword can be one-handed if I take the correct feat, and this will allow me to make up some of the durability I lost by losing Lay on Hands and Divine Grace. The build at present is as follows:

Karn Seleren, Fighter 5/Sentinel6 of Ragathiel, Human

Stats (counting all bonuses/magical items)

Strength: 24

Dexterity: 10

Constitution: 15

Intelligence: 14

Wisdom: 13

Charisma: 13

Skills:

Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate and Perception are maxed. Apart from 3 ranks in Knowledge (religion), there are a few scattered around.

Feats. Due to my being 11th level, all the requirements are met at my level, but not necessarily at the level I "took" the feat at.

1: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
1: Power Attack
1F: Cleave
2F: Weapon Specialization: Bastard Sword
3: Improved Initiative
4F: Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword
5: Great Cleave
7: Lunge
7S: Deific Obedience
9: Improved Critical: Bastard Sword
11: Cornugon Smash

Armor/Weapons/Magic Items:

Chaotic Sword of Doubling (the aforementioned Champion's Sword) Hitting at +18/+13/+8 for 1d6+13+6 17-20/x2 damage. The d6 is the 'powers of two' d6.

Cloak of Flying (homebrew magical item that allows the wearer to fly at will)

+2 Admantine Full Plate

+2 Tower Shield

+4 Belt of Giant Strength

Handy Haversack

+4 Headband of Vast Intelligence

+1 Ring of Protection

My basic idea for the build is that he tanks damage, standing with his tower shield and sword and fighting enemies. He'd be great at fighting mobs of enemies, because of the synergy between a few feats: Great Cleave and Lunge allows him to engage every enemy within 2 squares of himself, allowing for massive cleave attacks. Additionally, one of the swords abilities causes and enemy to explode for 2d6 damage to anybody within a square of them if they are killed with a hit that rolled 64. Assuming Karn is in the middle of a formation or mob and cleaves, hitting up to 14 enemies, several are going to get hit by 64's and die, exploding and taking out more of their buddies. It's a specific situation, but since we're likely to be involved in sizable battles at some point, it's likely to come in handy. Otherwise, he tanks and fights.

It's convenient that Ragathiel is a Lawful Good deity with the bastard sword as its divine weapon, and a group of useful benefits in its Obedience. Unfortunately, the obedience is difficult to activate, but I just have to kill a bad guy. I'll probably get this a round or two into most fights.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is fighter the best choice for the first five levels? Are there any better classes for these levels?

2. Should I pursue an alternate build for the Sentinel? Is there something I'm missing?

3. Should I swap out any feats for others that would work better?

4. What feats would be good choices for the future?

Thanks for reading. And advising. Any combination of the two, really.

I really suck at ending posts too, don't I?