PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragon Knight

DracoKnight
2015-03-15, 04:11 AM
One of my players wants to play a Dragon Rider, so I decided to build this class and have Dragon Rider be a subclass, because in fantasy there's more people who interact with dragons than Dragon Riders. I need help balancing it, if there's anything anyone would change, or improve, PLEASE comment :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHaVJ0MHExU0RCYUE/view?usp=sharing

BRKNdevil
2015-03-15, 08:30 AM
Overpowered as all hell. You literally gave it everything. I'm assuming its supposed to be a gestalt? It looks like you gave it rogue, fighter, and wizard abilities. but then also d12s? I'd say, drop the d12 and the full casting to a d10 and 1/3 casting. Also, all of the classes have one of three saves from Con, Dex, or Wis and another from the other three. I suggest not keeping the Ancestral Restriction since that restricts the players

bloodshed343
2015-03-15, 09:06 AM
Way, way, way too many features for a full caster.

Free magic weapons at level 1? Broken.

13 + Dex + cha? With a shield? That gives you the same armor class as tiamat. Without magic items. Get a magic shield? You are literally tougher than a god.

Extra attack at 3rd level is broken.

Granting immunity to damage types is not broken, but it's still too much.

Automatic advantage on dexterity saves is really too powerful.

DracoKnight
2015-03-15, 06:11 PM
Overpowered as all hell. You literally gave it everything. I'm assuming its supposed to be a gestalt? It looks like you gave it rogue, fighter, and wizard abilities. but then also d12s? I'd say, drop the d12 and the full casting to a d10 and 1/3 casting. Also, all of the classes have one of three saves from Con, Dex, or Wis and another from the other three. I suggest not keeping the Ancestral Restriction since that restricts the players

Thank you for your observations. I realized it was overpowered, and knew it needed balancing out. Your suggestions are a huge help with that :D

DracoKnight
2015-03-15, 06:14 PM
Way, way, way too many features for a full caster.

Free magic weapons at level 1? Broken.

13 + Dex + cha? With a shield? That gives you the same armor class as tiamat. Without magic items. Get a magic shield? You are literally tougher than a god.

Extra attack at 3rd level is broken.

Granting immunity to damage types is not broken, but it's still too much.

Automatic advantage on dexterity saves is really too powerful.

Thanks for your thoughts, I honestly I forgot about the magic weapons before I posted it, I thought I had already taken that off. I have also gotten rid of their shields.

While Extra Attack (at 3rd level) and immunity might possibly be broken, the automatic advantage on Dexterity saving throws is granted to Barbarians in the official rules of 5E, at 2nd level.

Pg. 48 of the Player's Handbook (5E)
Danger Sense:
At 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren't as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger. You have advantage on saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can't be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.

The reason for their immunity to the damage type is because I felt that if you've been battling or living alongside dragons for that long, you would have a much higher tolerance for the things that they can do.

AuraTwilight
2015-03-15, 06:18 PM
In addition to what everyone else said, it has two lesser saving throws. Lol.

Also, having to destroy a rare magic item to regain your dragon if it dies as an adult is absolutely absurd, since magic items aren't assumed to be available in 5th Edition.

DracoKnight
2015-03-15, 06:22 PM
Also, having to destroy a rare magic item to regain your dragon if it dies as an adult is absolutely absurd, since magic items aren't assumed to be available in 5th Edition.

Okay, thank you. I will edit that, and post the updated version of this :)