PDA

View Full Version : Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3.5

FocusWolf413
2015-03-15, 09:55 AM
I've been pondering classes for the characters in BtVS.

Giles is definitely a bardic sage, probably around level 3-5. This is justified by his being a Watcher, inspirational abilities, and wonderful singing voice. He's true neutral with good tendencies.

There's so many different things Buffy could be. She's probably around 10-12th level. Fighter?

Willow is probably a 9-11th level wizard or archivist.

Xander is probably a commoner 2 warrior 1, and that's generous.

Any ideas?
I'm only in the beginning of season 6, so don't spoil anything.

Yuki Akuma
2015-03-15, 09:56 AM
Didn't they make a d20 System Buffy RPG?

Jack_Simth
2015-03-15, 10:52 AM
There's so many different things Buffy could be. She's probably around 10-12th level. Fighter?More like an Ex-Monk, honestly. She's very much not Lawful, but she does a lot of monk-ish stuff (running really fast, dodging things when blindfolded, et cetera).

Vhaidara
2015-03-15, 11:28 AM
Buffy is a Warblade. Weapon Aptitude is perfect for her ability to pick up a weapon, swing it around a few times, and be good with it.

This came up about a year ago, and someone actually made a Slayer template. Since most of Buffy's strengths come from being the Slayer, which is just part of her, not something she trained/worked for. The Warblade represents training.

Willow is a Witch (PF version is best, but the one from the DMG works as well)

Xander is a commoner who eventually picks up a few Fighter levels. By the end he's actually kind of badass, just not compared to Buffy and Willow.

Giles is a Factotum. He knows how to do a little bit of everything, and is crazy Int focused.

Bronk
2015-03-15, 12:38 PM
Hmm... Buffy also has all those prophetic dreams and can take some control of them... Maybe some Lucid Dreaming skills in there?

Andezzar
2015-03-15, 12:40 PM
Giles is a Factotum. He knows how to do a little bit of everything, and is crazy Int focused.Hmm I think Giles/Ripper is a wizard who refuses to cast spells. Wizards get every knowledge skill as a class skill.

MonkeySage
2015-03-15, 12:46 PM
I'd be a bit more generous with Xander... but I'm not sure how. Buffy is a Fighter, beyond any doubt for me... perhaps. Willow, I'd give her 11 levels of wizard, and include Knowledge (computers) in her skill set...

Bronk
2015-03-15, 01:33 PM
Hmm I think Giles/Ripper is a wizard who refuses to cast spells. Wizards get every knowledge skill as a class skill.

He casts spells sometimes, although in the TV series it's mostly summonings and divinations. He's a bit blastier in the comics.

Andezzar
2015-03-15, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I forgot to add a "mostly".

Troacctid
2015-03-15, 01:39 PM
I think Xander has levels in something like Fortune's Friend or Survivor.

Vhaidara
2015-03-15, 02:04 PM
Hmm I think Giles/Ripper is a wizard who refuses to cast spells. Wizards get every knowledge skill as a class skill.

Factotum's get everything as a class skill, and Giles has shown himself to be no slouch when it comes to a fight. I would say he's around level 10, and Buffy starts as a Warblade around level 2. At first, she is able to beat him because Slayer BS, but eventually she actually passes him in BAB and is truly a better fighter than him.

Bronk
2015-03-15, 02:07 PM
This came up about a year ago, and someone actually made a Slayer template. Since most of Buffy's strengths come from being the Slayer, which is just part of her, not something she trained/worked for. The Warblade represents training.

Heh, well she is the Chosen One after all. I wonder who she's the Chosen of?

Btw, do you have a link to the template?

Vhaidara
2015-03-15, 02:19 PM
Heh, well she is the Chosen One after all. I wonder who she's the Chosen of?

Btw, do you have a link to the template?

I wish I did. Like I said, it was about a year ago...

And Google doesn't fail (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365645-Building-the-Slayer). Now I remember why I remember it: I started it!

The template is a bit down from the first post.

Thurbane
2015-03-15, 03:37 PM
Battle Dancer?

Bronk
2015-03-15, 05:50 PM
I wish I did. Like I said, it was about a year ago...

And Google doesn't fail (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365645-Building-the-Slayer). Now I remember why I remember it: I started it!

The template is a bit down from the first post.

Pretty nifty!

Mehangel
2015-03-15, 06:16 PM
I have always thought they translated better into d20 Modern.

Buffy would probably be a strong (2)/tough (2)/fast (1)/Shadow Slayer (x).
Giles would probably be a smart (3)/charismatic (2)/Mage (1)/Watcher (x)
Willow would probably be a smart (5)/Techno Mage and/or Occultist (x)
Xander would probably be a strong (1)/tough (1)/charismatic (3)/Negotiator (x) [Would later on gain a level in soldier]

atemu1234
2015-03-15, 07:34 PM
I have always thought they translated better into d20 Modern.

Buffy would probably be a strong (2)/tough (2)/fast (1)/Shadow Slayer (x).
Giles would probably be a smart (3)/charismatic (2)/Mage (1)/Watcher (x)
Willow would probably be a smart (5)/Techno Mage and/or Occultist (x)
Xander would probably be a strong (1)/tough (1)/charismatic (3)/Negotiator (x) [Would later on gain a level in soldier]

Meh, Modern is way too generic for anything as unique as BtVS.

Boci
2015-03-15, 07:42 PM
The problem is most slayer themed classes and unarmed experts tend to have a secondary non-psychical state, and the Buffy I recall didn't. She was strong, quick and tough and had a strong sense of duty, but she was not exceptionally intelligent, she was not charismatic, and she wasn't really wise in general (being a slayer gave her some wisdom like abilities, but they were so narrow they were more like class features or spell-like/supernatural abilities granted by being a slayer).