PDA

View Full Version : Multiple arms and Carrying capacity

bootzin
2015-03-15, 01:04 PM
Hey guys!

So, I was wondering if having multiple arms affects my carrying capacity? I know that having 4 legs doubles it, and having multiple arms allows me to increase the size of weapon that I wield without penalties, but does it affect in any way my carrying capacity?

Necroticplague
2015-03-15, 01:12 PM
Hey guys!

So, I was wondering if having multiple arms affects my carrying capacity? I know that having 4 legs doubles it, and having multiple arms allows me to increase the size of weapon that I wield without penalties, but does it affect in any way my carrying capacity?

Not sure the italicized part is true, pretty sure multiple arms just let you weild greater handedness of weapons of the same size (i.e,an 8-handed greatsword), not wield any bigger weapons.

But anyway: no, multiple arms doesn't effect your carrying capacity in any way (which makes sense).

bootzin
2015-03-15, 01:17 PM
And what benefits would I have from wielding an 8-handed greatsword? :smallconfused:

bjoern
2015-03-15, 01:17 PM
If I can put a 400 pound backpack on my back and walk a mile, having two more arms doesn't make it any easier.

The only thing it might help with is using each hand for different things.

bootzin
2015-03-15, 01:23 PM
What if I use 2 of my hands to crawl and the other 2 to carry something? Can I count as having 4 legs? haha

Necroticplague
2015-03-15, 01:26 PM
And what benefits would I have from wielding an 8-handed greatsword? :smallconfused:

Each hand after the first increases the STR multiplier by .5. So a two-handed greatsword gets 1.5xSTR to damage, and 8-handed greatsword gets 4.5xSTR to damage.

sideswipe
2015-03-15, 01:31 PM
Each hand after the first increases the STR multiplier by .5. So a two-handed greatsword gets 1.5xSTR to damage, and 8-handed greatsword gets 4.5xSTR to damage.

i'm trying to decide if this is RAW or a sarcastic joke....

Rakoa
2015-03-15, 01:37 PM

Nope, RAW as can be.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-03-15, 01:39 PM

Can't it be both? A lot of RAW seems like a joke anyway.

bootzin
2015-03-15, 05:29 PM
One last thing: does it affect my grapple modifier? That I think it should change

DeltaEmil
2015-03-15, 05:31 PM
No. Creatures like the girallon or the marilith don't gain any bonuses to grapple checks for having more than one pair of arms.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-15, 05:42 PM
No. Creatures like the girallon or the marilith don't gain any bonuses to grapple checks for having more than one pair of arms.

Which i think we can agree is weird, as im sure 2 extra arms would make grappling people easier.

bootzin
2015-03-15, 05:59 PM
It doesn't even increase the DC for escaping? Or considered like multiple creatures grappling? It's not any little bit more effective? :/
That's weird

sideswipe
2015-03-15, 06:00 PM
i swear there was a rule somewhere about having extra arms allows you to do other things in a grapple or to start a grapple with more then one person. i may be thinking of M&M

Zombulian
2015-03-15, 06:01 PM

I remember there being rules for additional arms granting bonuses on grapple checks. Savage Species maybe?

Troacctid
2015-03-15, 06:48 PM
Snakes manage to grapple just fine with no arms at all. *shrug*

Ashtagon
2015-03-15, 06:50 PM

It's one of the dumbest rules ever written. It's real. It's from Savage Species.

bootzin
2015-03-15, 06:52 PM
Well, the campaign that I'm playing allows anything from 3.0 and 3.5, except dragon mag, PF isn't allowed either

So, I really wish there was any sort of rule with clarifications about it

Necroticplague
2015-03-15, 07:03 PM
I remember there being rules for additional arms granting bonuses on grapple checks. Savage Species maybe?
Oooh, I know this one! Sword and Fist, page 62 Extra Limbs. At the DM's option, you can get a +4 to grapple checks involving wrestling with your arms per extra pair of arms.

atemu1234
2015-03-15, 07:10 PM

Not that I don't trust you, but is there a source for this?

bjoern
2015-03-15, 07:23 PM

For whatever reason I recall seeing this somewhere also, although its been a long time. Maybe even 3.0

Necroticplague
2015-03-15, 07:27 PM

Savage Species, page 42 heading Three or More Hands

bootzin
2015-03-15, 07:33 PM
Is it me or the wording of it implies that I can wield larger weapons with more than 2 hands as well?

DeltaEmil
2015-03-15, 07:38 PM
Savage Species is one of those 3.0 interim-books* who were already shaping up to the new 3.5 rules, which weren't finalized yet.

*Fiend Folio and Unapproachable East are two other 3.0-3.5 books.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-15, 07:44 PM
Is it me or the wording of it implies that I can wield larger weapons with more than 2 hands as well?

You can dual wield greatswords. While it looks cool it takes a ton of feats to make work. I still think its worth it though :smallcool:

Savage Species is one of those 3.0 interim-books* who were already shaping up to the new 3.5 rules, which weren't finalized yet.

*Fiend Folio and Unapproachable East are two other 3.0-3.5 books.

Sooo 3.25?

Duke of Urrel
2015-03-15, 07:50 PM

Which i think we can agree is weird, as im sure 2 extra arms would make grappling people easier.

Whether you accept the +4 bonus from Sword & Fist or not (thanks to Necroticplague for the suggestion), the marilith gets more attacks per round because it has more arms. Unless I am mistaken, this means a marilith gets more grapple attacks or checks when it grapples: four using its primary arm (at a BAB of +16, which diminishes by five for each iterative attack) and another five using its other five arms (at BAB +16 each). And the marilith can also grab with its tail (at BAB +14, because this is a secondary attack), so why shouldn't it be able to grapple with its tail, too? Being able to start grappling or to tighten one's hold 10 times in one round counts for a lot.

The girallon doesn't seem to have as great an advantage as a marilith, for reasons that I can't explain. Still, a girallon attacks four times at BAB +7, which is better than a seventh-level fighter, who gets only two attacks, the first at the full BAB and the second at the reduced BAB of +2. Perhaps somebody who knows better than I do can help explain why this is so.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-15, 08:03 PM
Grappling stuff

Ah, totally forgot that, since its an attack, you could just keep grappling the guy again and again. Oooh this could get nasty.

Necroticplague
2015-03-15, 08:16 PM
Whether you accept the +4 bonus from Sword & Fist or not (thanks to Necroticplague for the suggestion), the marilith gets more attacks per round because it has more arms. Unless I am mistaken, this means a marilith gets more grapple attacks or checks when it grapples: four using its primary arm (at a BAB of +16, which diminishes by five for each iterative attack) and another five using its other five arms (at BAB +16 each). And the marilith can also grab with its tail (at BAB +14, because this is a secondary attack), so why shouldn't it be able to grapple with its tail, too? Being able to start grappling or to tighten one's hold 10 times in one round counts for a lot.

Having multiple arms doesn't intrinsically give you more attacks unless you're wielding weapons in them (and thus using the two-weapon fighting rules[which despite the name, also include the rules for multiweapon fighting]). So no, it still only gets the same 4 attempts to grapple in one turn as any other BaB 16 creature. As for grapple checks to do damage, that is explicitly spelled out as being related only to your BaB, not to anything else (barring the Savage Grapple ability).

atemu1234
2015-03-15, 08:20 PM
Savage Species, page 42 heading Three or More Hands

Thanks! Now it's time for me to have... fun.

Flickerdart
2015-03-15, 08:25 PM
Being able to start grappling or to tighten one's hold 10 times in one round counts for a lot.
The marilith can start grappling 10 times, but once inside a grapple, it is limited by BAB, same as any other creature. You don't get a grapple check for every natural weapon you have.

bootzin
2015-03-15, 08:36 PM
That's what improved multigrab is for