PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Defender/Stone Dragon Stances

TheCrowing1432
2015-03-15, 01:53 PM
Im sure its been tried before. Both rely on abilities that involve not moving.

Im sure people would say I should take straight warblade and focus on Stone Dragon stances rather then waste my time with dwarven defender, but I am going to ignore those people.

Would this combination work at all?

As for getting around the movement penalty flying carpets/blinking/teleportation do not break the stances or the movement.

Troacctid
2015-03-15, 02:19 PM
Im sure people would say I should take straight warblade and focus on Stone Dragon stances rather then waste my time with dwarven defender, but I am going to ignore those people.

Don't be silly. Why would anyone say that?

You should go Deepstone Sentinel. That's what Deepstone Sentinel is for, after all. And Crusader would be a much better base than Warblade.

Anyway, it would work only as well as Dwarven Defender works, which, considering the class does basically nothing, is not very well. The more important concern with Dwarven Defender is increasing your reach. If LA buyoff is in play, you should definitely strongly consider being a psionic duergar so you can boost yourself up two size categories once per day. Otherwise, you should strongly consider being a Psychic Warrior so you can just learn the expansion power.

And no, you can't use a flying carpet or teleportation--it's not just "you can't move," it's "you can't leave the spot you're defending."

eggynack
2015-03-15, 02:20 PM
You should just use deepstone sentinel, which is from tome of battle. It's basically just a fixed dwarven defender, dwarf prerequisite and all, based all around stone dragon. In other words, everything you want, but way better.

Edit: Swordsage'd.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-15, 02:38 PM
In-character, why would your adventurer character want to become a guard-of-the-halls in the first place?

Dwarven Defenders are only good in large numbers, fighting in the tunnels of their underground homes. They form an insurmountable wall of dwarves that blocks invaders from advancing any further, and outlast their foes until reinforcements arrive. Too many times a solitary dwarven defender has tried to take on adversaries alone, and his opponents easily rushed past him to murder those he was sworn to protect. For this reason, any dwarf who joins the Order of the Defenders is forbidden to go adventuring without at least three other dwarven defenders accompanying him. Luckily, there are a lot of dwarven defenders in a given community, as any who wish to join the elite Order of the Sentinels and fails their tests goes on to join the Order of the Defenders. The Order of the Sentinels trains its members as Deepstone Sentinels, capable warriors who often become great adventurers. Members of the Order of the Defenders get stuck with menial guard duty until they're too old to fight.

True believer
2015-03-15, 02:54 PM
One of my favorite and most fun builds ever was a dwarf crusader 9/ dwarven defender 6/ Deepstone sentinel 5 !!!!

Because fortresses are too mainstream .... :P

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-17, 05:47 AM
Dwarven Defenders are only good in large numbers, fighting in the tunnels of their underground homes. They form an insurmountable wall of dwarves that blocks invaders from advancing any further, and outlast their foes until reinforcements arrive. Too many times a solitary dwarven defender has tried to take on adversaries alone, and his opponents easily rushed past him to murder those he was sworn to protect. For this reason, any dwarf who joins the Order of the Defenders is forbidden to go adventuring without at least three other dwarven defenders accompanying him.

This makes me want to see an entire party of adventuring dwarven defenders! :smallamused:

atemu1234
2015-03-17, 07:06 AM
Because fortresses are too mainstream .... :P

Reminds me of one of my players who became king of a Dwarven city. At one point they had giant mechs. Because why not?