PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Updated Dragon Knight

DracoKnight
2015-03-15, 06:29 PM
Thank you to everyone who commented on the previous posting of this class. Here's the updated version of the Dragon Knight :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHUmF1cUxoWlJtZE0/view?usp=sharing

AuraTwilight
2015-03-16, 02:36 PM
Much better, but I'm still unsure about a Dragon Knight getting a bonus hit point literally every level. It seems to negate the point of lowering their hit die. But it's fine.

I'm not comfortable with Draconic Heroes getting Use Magic Device. It doesn't thematically follow from the rest of the subclass, and it infringes on pretty much one of the best things about the Rogue.

Every subclass gives Draconic Immunity at 17th level, why not just make it a normal class feature?

Dragon Knights probably shouldn't get Eldritch Blast. It's one of the best damaging Cantrips and it's partially balanced by it's restriction to the Warlock, who synergizes many of their abilities with it.

DracoKnight
2015-03-16, 04:38 PM
Much better, but I'm still unsure about a Dragon Knight getting a bonus hit point literally every level. It seems to negate the point of lowering their hit die. But it's fine.

I'm not comfortable with Draconic Heroes getting Use Magic Device. It doesn't thematically follow from the rest of the subclass, and it infringes on pretty much one of the best things about the Rogue.

Every subclass gives Draconic Immunity at 17th level, why not just make it a normal class feature?

Dragon Knights probably shouldn't get Eldritch Blast. It's one of the best damaging Cantrips and it's partially balanced by it's restriction to the Warlock, who synergizes many of their abilities with it.

A local DM and I put time in last night to balance it further, and get rid of some of the more OP things - like Draconic Immunity and Eldritch Blast. We made the Dragon Rider focus more on the Dragon aspect of things, and built the dragon that they get, so that having a dragon isn't incredibly overpowered. I'll post all of the updates once we go over it again in the daytime. :P

PotatoGolem
2015-03-18, 12:24 AM
Looks good! Couple of nitpicks:

I'd allow the Dragon Rider to ride their dragon earlier. It's the name of the subclass after all, but limiting dragon riding to level 18+ means most players will never get to use it. Maybe let them ride the dragon at level 9, but that impedes its flight?

I'd also give all specializations Extra Attack at level 5. The fact that this is a 1/3 caster class sort of limits its ability to fill the caster role. Not giving an extra attack to Heroes makes them pretty weak on offense.

As with the immunity, if everyone gets the +cha defense at the same level you should just list it as a class ability.

Drakvor
2016-03-31, 08:15 AM
Very Good, I especially like the part where you start with an egg, and depending on what you do with it defines your archetype.

The Dragon Hide feature seems a little bit powerful, with your AC becoming 23 if you have 20 Dexterity and 20 Charisma. Also, shouldn't it be 13 + Dexterity Modifier + Constitution Modifier? Not only will it force people to invest in Constitution as well as Charisma to get the full bonus, the word 'hide' makes it sound touch, rather than charismatic. Just a though.

Also, for the Dragon Rider, what are the dragon's stats? By 'a little more than pseudodragon' and 'holding its own against a wyrmling', I am guessing those two mean the stats of a pseudodragon and the stats of a wyrmling, but with wyrmlings, depending on which colour dragon you look at, the Challenge varies and so do the statistics. And the last one, could you please clarify if the Dragon is young, adult or ancient?

Overall, it's a well made class, and I like it, but I think you may want to clarify the stats and the mechanics of how the Dragon Rider's dragon works. (my favourite creatures are dragons)

DracoKnight
2016-03-31, 08:29 AM
Very Good, I especially like the part where you start with an egg, and depending on what you do with it defines your archetype.

The Dragon Hide feature seems a little bit powerful, with your AC becoming 23 if you have 20 Dexterity and 20 Charisma. Also, shouldn't it be 13 + Dexterity Modifier + Constitution Modifier? Not only will it force people to invest in Constitution as well as Charisma to get the full bonus, the word 'hide' makes it sound touch, rather than charismatic. Just a though.

Also, for the Dragon Rider, what are the dragon's stats? By 'a little more than pseudodragon' and 'holding its own against a wyrmling', I am guessing those two mean the stats of a pseudodragon and the stats of a wyrmling, but with wyrmlings, depending on which colour dragon you look at, the Challenge varies and so do the statistics. And the last one, could you please clarify if the Dragon is young, adult or ancient?

Overall, it's a well made class, and I like it, but I think you may want to clarify the stats and the mechanics of how the Dragon Rider's dragon works. (my favourite creatures are dragons)

This is an ancient and outdated version of the class, before it was truly and properly balanced. The fully completed version is in the link in my signature :smallsmile:

Ralof
2016-03-31, 09:21 AM
Having had a look at the updated version, is it perchance based on the warlock class originally?
I was also attempting to do a similar thing not to long ago infact but stumbling on this has certainly saved me a considerable amount of time balancing an idea when you've already done so much, I'll probably refluff some bits of it for my campaign. But Still this is a proper solid job! You played it yet :)?

Also out of interest why 2d4 instead of just a d8?

DracoKnight
2016-03-31, 09:28 AM
Having had a look at the updated version, is it perchance based on the warlock class originally?
I was also attempting to do a similar thing not to long ago infact but stumbling on this has certainly saved me a considerable amount of time balancing an idea when you've already done so much, I'll probably refluff some bits of it for my campaign. But Still this is a proper solid job! You played it yet :)?

Also out of interest why 2d4 instead of just a d8?

I'm glad to have saved you the trouble :smallbiggrin:

Actually, no, this wasn't based on the warlock. I was trying to make it entirely it's own class. The only subclass I have actually played was the Dragon Rider, and it was balanced. :smallsmile: I have heard from others that the other two subclasses are balanced as well.

I chose 2d4 over 1d8 because I wanted them to be a little tankier than warlocks or clerics, but 1d10 was too high. So, while they have the same average per level as 1d8, they get better healing on short rests. :smallsmile:

Drakvor
2016-03-31, 09:54 AM
This is an ancient and outdated version of the class, before it was truly and properly balanced. The fully completed version is in the link in my signature

Thanks, I really like this class. Good to know its been properly balanced.

Oramac
2016-03-31, 11:39 AM
This is an ancient and outdated version of the class, before it was truly and properly balanced. The fully completed version is in the link in my signature :smallsmile:

You should update the link in the OP, then. I was all set to talk about it, then realized it was out of date. :P

I like the updated version! Dragon Soul sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, where did you get the blank parchment looking PDF to put the class on?

DracoKnight
2016-03-31, 02:06 PM
You should update the link in the OP, then. I was all set to talk about it, then realized it was out of date. :P

Well, this thread is from...March last year, and I've posted a new thread since. Technically this was thread necromancy, but I wanted to reply and point them towards the balanced class.

I like the updated version! Dragon Soul sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the look of it. :smallbiggrin:

Also, where did you get the blank parchment looking PDF to put the class on?

I added the parchment texture in a photo editor.

Oramac
2016-03-31, 02:34 PM
Well, this thread is from...March last year, and I've posted a new thread since. Technically this was thread necromancy, but I wanted to reply and point them towards the balanced class.

I totally missed that! Sorry!

I added the parchment texture in a photo editor.

PM sent.

DracoKnight
2016-03-31, 03:02 PM
I totally missed that! Sorry!

If you want to talk about the class, please do, I would love your feedback! :smallbiggrin:
Here's the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472968-Dragon-Knight-Overhaul-(WIP)-PEACH) to the most recent thread; I'll post in it so that you don't turn necromancer.

PM sent.

Replied :smallsmile: