PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is it Divine?

jabberwocky9
2015-03-15, 10:26 PM
If a character has levels in Wizard and Decides to become a Divine Oracle, the +1 level in existing spell class attributed to Wizard or does it have to be divine spellcaster?

DrMotives
2015-03-15, 10:35 PM
RAW, the description doesn't specify. However, the adaptation paragraph is pretty blunt about the designers thinking this could be for a divinely-inspired arcane caster. So I'd allow it.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-15, 11:21 PM
There is nothing in the description that says the ability has to progress only divine spellcasting. Therefore, it can progress either arcane or divine spellcasting classes.

Psyren
2015-03-16, 09:30 AM
1) RAW:

"Thus, when a new divine oracle level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class."

"Any spellcasting class" = arcane or divine.

2) RAI:

As DrMotives pointed out, the "Adaptation" section specifies that the default intent of the class is to be available to both - you actually have to adapt it to focus on one or the other.

Conclusion: arcane casters can take it just fine - the only downside is that they need Know (Religion) and SF: Religion, which can be redundant if there is a cleric who wants to fill this role in the party.

jabberwocky9
2015-03-16, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys...I read it as such. I just don't comprehend why anyone would want to do that or am I missing something?

Psyren
2015-03-16, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys...I read it as such. I just don't comprehend why anyone would want to do that or am I missing something?

You mean, why take the PrC? Plenty of reasons: it's full casting, gets both flavorful and mechanical divination bonuses to boost a character focused on that concept, and it gets great defenses (UD/IUD, Super-Evasion, and Surprise Immunity.) That last one is especially powerful for a full caster - even if, say, the BBEG drops right on top of your party with an entire army, you can get everyone out of trouble in an instant.

Chronos
2015-03-17, 08:00 AM
It's very easy to see justification for a wizard or sorcerer to take any given full-casting PrC. I mean, what do they have to lose? The class benefits a Divine Oracle gets easily outweigh a couple of bonus feats and a feat wasted on the Skill Focus tax.