PDA

View Full Version : Lycans and armor

Buufreak
2015-03-15, 11:13 PM
Okay, so assuming that we are dealing with a lycanthrope that is same size in both humanoid and hybrid form, and its armor is magical and succeeds the will save, would the lycan continue to wear the armor in hybrid form? The MM states that armor can not be quickly shunted off during change, and will not be destroyed if makes save, so what will happen to it?

Twice
2015-03-15, 11:46 PM
Lycanthropy uses an alternate form ability, so armor falls to the ground if it doesn't fit, or changes size if the only reason it wouldn't fit is size.

Lord Vukodlak
2015-03-16, 01:50 AM
So long as the humanoid and hybrid form are the same size you shouldn't have a problem even with mundane armor, except perhaps fullplate.

Crake
2015-03-16, 03:33 AM
Okay, so assuming that we are dealing with a lycanthrope that is same size in both humanoid and hybrid form, and its armor is magical and succeeds the will save, would the lycan continue to wear the armor in hybrid form? The MM states that armor can not be quickly shunted off during change, and will not be destroyed if makes save, so what will happen to it?

The 3 sentances regarding changing form and clothes/armor being destroyed, and magical items getting a save to avoid destruction if you're too big were all removed in the MM errata. Clothing and armor no longer are destroyed upon change if you're too big, it simply functions exactly as normal for alternate form: "Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space"

Note that even without the errata, the lycanthrope ruining it's clothing was only for if your form was increasing size during the change, many people seem to miss the "if the new form is larger than the character's natural form"

Spore
2015-03-16, 05:45 AM
While I CAN understand the errata and its target towards not hurting the wealth of Lycans, the "ripping shirt due to Werecreature transformation" is almost iconic and the "dropped armor" feels terribly table-toppy. I would go as far and say that a fitted armor would cover its job and stay on but a tailored shirt should at least tear if it isn't some sizes too large. That is if I were the DM.

atemu1234
2015-03-16, 07:28 AM
While I CAN understand the errata and its target towards not hurting the wealth of Lycans, the "ripping shirt due to Werecreature transformation" is almost iconic and the "dropped armor" feels terribly table-toppy. I would go as far and say that a fitted armor would cover its job and stay on but a tailored shirt should at least tear if it isn't some sizes too large. That is if I were the DM.

I think it's safe to say that they were thinking of expensive magical armor when they were doing this, not the classic white tailored shirt. I'd say that they take off what they're wearing instinctively during the transformation, but probably (if they're still wearing light clothes) tear through.