PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing: Replacing Infiltration Expert & Impostor?

McBars
2015-03-15, 11:56 PM
Hey playgrounders,

While I love the 5e Rogue and its archetypes, I find the Assassin features Infiltration Expertise and Impostor to be horrible, unusable in some campaigns even.

I was curious as to whether anyone has home brewed anything to replace these features or at least tweaked them to have some utility? If so, please share them or feel free to suggest something.

To be clear, I'm not claiming this archetype is weak or lacking, just that a better job could have been done with its level 9 & 13 features; it's pretty much a wasteland between levels 4-17.

Cheers!

MrStabby
2015-03-16, 06:04 PM
Well those abilities are not so great but it seems to be a very popular sub-class though. I think if you were to boost these abilities you might want to lower the quality of assassinate at least.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-16, 06:53 PM
Combined with Charlatan, they are pretty useful, assuming there is any social interaction in the campaign...

Gritmonger
2015-03-16, 07:08 PM
Combined with Charlatan, they are pretty useful, assuming there is any social interaction in the campaign...
...add Variant human with Actor, and it's pretty ding-dang-dong powerful.

asorel
2015-03-16, 07:31 PM

I think OP is in a campaign where there isn't as much social interaction in the campaign, or at least none in the more urban/densely populated areas where the features are useful.

McBars
2015-03-16, 08:30 PM
I think OP is in a campaign where there isn't as much social interaction in the campaign, or at least none in the more urban/densely populated areas where the features are useful.

Precisely; I should have clarified. I do think these are terrifically flavored features, however our campaign takes place primarily in the wilderness/fringe of society. No masquerades in ballrooms, no deep-reaching political intrigue. It's not that there isn't much social interaction, rather the tension in the plot elements encourage us to stay on the move, rarely staying in a place where either feature would be appropriate for very long.

I'm sitting at level 14 and have not had the opportunity to use either feature. It's not a DM/campaign problem, both of whom I love. I'm just looking for suggestions of balanced alternatives that I might suggest to my DM.

Thanks again Playgrounders.

Naanomi
2015-03-16, 08:52 PM
Even in a less urban campaign, pulling together a good orc/hobgoblin/cultist outfit can do some wonders