PDA

View Full Version : Building a Knight of the Sacred Seal (of Focalor?) gestalt

Bad Wolf
2015-03-16, 12:31 AM
So yeah, I'm building a Knight of the Sacred Seal gestalt. This is what I've got planned out so far. Sorcerer 9/IoSFV 7/Sorcerer 4//Binder 4/Hexblade 1(BAB+Hex, stacks with Focalor's aura and is a free action)/KoSS 5.

It's a bit feat-intensive.
F:Spell Focus (Abjuration)
F:Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration)
1:Improved Binding
3:Weapon Focus (Spear)
4:Ignore Special Requirements
6:No idea
9: Rapid Metamagic

So yeah, that's that. If anyone could find a way for me to get these as bonus feats, or feats to improve Focalor some way I'd appreciate that. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2015-03-16, 12:50 AM
The obvious addition feat-wise would be Ability Focus, to boost Focalor's aura, lightning, your hexblade's cursr, or another vestige's abilities.

Morningstars are ineligible for finesse (they are 1H, not light) and you don't choose a specific weapon with WF anyway, it applies to any light weapon you pick up. And since you are gestalting with sorcerer, you should be perfectly fine not relying on any melee weapons at all. Is this part of your character concept?

Bad Wolf
2015-03-16, 01:26 AM
The obvious addition feat-wise would be Ability Focus, to boost Focalor's aura, lightning, your hexblade's cursr, or another vestige's abilities.

Morningstars are ineligible for finesse (they are 1H, not light) and you don't choose a specific weapon with WF anyway, it applies to any light weapon you pick up. And since you are gestalting with sorcerer, you should be perfectly fine not relying on any melee weapons at all. Is this part of your character concept?

Shoot. Knew I was missing something about weapons. Mostly stick to casters in the first place. And Weapon Finesse is required for KoSS, just thought I should do something with it.

avr
2015-03-16, 06:42 AM
Shoot. Knew I was missing something about weapons. Mostly stick to casters in the first place. And Weapon Finesse is required for KoSS, just thought I should do something with it.
Weapon Focus, not Finesse, is required for KotSS. While you could get it on a morningstar it might be more useful on a longspear with which you might get some attacks of opportunity in.

Edit: it does have a prereq of BAB +1 so to get it with a flaw you need to take the hexblade level first, get both SF & GSF at 1st level too, then take Improved Binding at level 3.

Psyren
2015-03-16, 08:07 AM
Note that you can also take "Weapon Focus (Ray)" or "Weapon Focus (Orb)" for use with your sorcerer side - this is likely to be much more useful than trying to pick up an odd weapon.

Bad Wolf
2015-03-16, 01:07 PM
Weapon Focus, not Finesse, is required for KotSS. While you could get it on a morningstar it might be more useful on a longspear with which you might get some attacks of opportunity in.

Edit: it does have a prereq of BAB +1 so to get it with a flaw you need to take the hexblade level first, get both SF & GSF at 1st level too, then take Improved Binding at level 3.

Wow, I'm all over the place today...Okay, so I'll take SF and GSF as flaws, Improved Binding at first, then Weapon Focus at third. And a longspear is two handed, which means I can't cast spells, right? I guess I'll just take unarmed strike and bind Ronove when I can bind two vestiges. I won't have to buy weapons, and I can pick up a monks belt to boost up the damage a bit.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-03-16, 01:14 PM
You can cast spells while carrying a two-handed weapon. At least, that's the usual interpretation. You don't have to use two hands to carry it, after all, only to attack with it. Letting go of the weapon with one hand isn't an action, just like switching between unarmed strikes and two-handed weapon attacks during a full attack isn't an action.

Psyren
2015-03-16, 01:15 PM
And a longspear is two handed, which means I can't cast spells, right?

It's a free action to take your hand off a 2H-weapon and a free action to grab it again, allowing you to cast spells while wielding one. If it was not, wizard staves would be pretty dysfunctional.

Bad Wolf
2015-03-16, 06:23 PM
You can cast spells while carrying a two-handed weapon. At least, that's the usual interpretation. You don't have to use two hands to carry it, after all, only to attack with it. Letting go of the weapon with one hand isn't an action, just like switching between unarmed strikes and two-handed weapon attacks during a full attack isn't an action.

It's a free action to take your hand off a 2H-weapon and a free action to grab it again, allowing you to cast spells while wielding one. If it was not, wizard staves would be pretty dysfunctional.

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

And that's why I play casters. Okay, either longspear or unarmed strike....opinions?

avr
2015-03-17, 09:42 AM
*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

And that's why I play casters. Okay, either longspear or unarmed strike....opinions?
Longspear. Or, since hexblades get all martial weapons IIRC, any martial reach weapon. There are so many vestiges out there, you don't want to get locked into Ronove and Focalor both.

BTW I don't think Psyren's idea of weapon focus (ray) would work since KotSS specifies weapon focus (any weapon).

Psyren
2015-03-17, 10:54 AM
BTW I don't think Psyren's idea of weapon focus (ray) would work since KotSS specifies weapon focus (any weapon).

Weapon Focus (ranged spell) is explicitly allowed - CArc pgs. 72-73.

THEChanger
2015-03-17, 04:57 PM
Weapon Focus (ranged spell) is explicitly allowed - CArc pgs. 72-73.

I believe the question is not whether Ranged Spell can be chosen for Weapon Focus, but rather whether Weapon Focus (Ranged Spell) will qualify a character for Knight of the Sacred Seal, as the PrC's requirement states Weapon Focus (Any Weapon) [Emphasis mine]. While Ranged Spells fall under the category of Weapon-Like Spells, it isn't immediately clear to me whether they are, shall we say, sufficiently weapon-like to fulfill that requirement.

Bad Wolf
2015-03-18, 01:27 AM
Longspear. Or, since hexblades get all martial weapons IIRC, any martial reach weapon. There are so many vestiges out there, you don't want to get locked into Ronove and Focalor both.

Okay, Spear it is. Thanks everyone.