PDA

View Full Version : Good PrC for Miko (if she had lived)?

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-16, 12:51 AM
So... You've found yourself with one of the most useless combinations of classes a PC might realistically end up with (so ignoring stuff like all Commoner and Rogue 1/Truenamer 1/Fighter 3/etc.). You've got a few Monk levels and a bunch of Fallen Paladin levels. The only restriction that can possibly be relaxed here is that "Fallen," but I'd really rather keep it. Your style of fighting is already the unoptimal mess that you'd expect from a Monk/Paladin, using a sword (probably a katana?) and kicks, and though this can be changed, the fact is you probably already have feats supporting this fighting style.

What's your best bet for a PrC to go into, with the few things you've got? How might you go forward from the falling disaster, in terms of a PrC to tie your build into something slightly less made of suck?

Jack_Simth
2015-03-16, 12:57 AM
So... You've found yourself with one of the most useless combinations of classes a PC might realistically end up with (so ignoring stuff like all Commoner and Rogue 1/Truenamer 1/Fighter 3/etc.). You've got a few Monk levels and a bunch of Fallen Paladin levels. The only restriction that can possibly be relaxed here is that "Fallen," but I'd really rather keep it. Your style of fighting is already the unoptimal mess that you'd expect from a Monk/Paladin, using a sword (probably a katana?) and kicks, and though this can be changed, the fact is you probably already have feats supporting this fighting style.

What's your best bet for a PrC to go into, with the few things you've got? How might you go forward from the falling disaster, in terms of a PrC to tie your build into something slightly less made of suck?
Bone Knight (Five Nations, Eberron) or Blackguard (Core) are the go-to's for fallen paladins. Amusingly, they can theoretically combine to get Charisma to saves twice. Those monk levels will end up mostly wasted, though, if you go Bone Knight (the PrC is very armor-centric).

goto124
2015-03-16, 01:35 AM
Hey, Sabine DID offer Miko to go Blackguard.

Wouldn't it be out of Miko's character to do so? Though, you could have her eventually give up on Good and go Evil instead. Not sure if it fits.

Baroknik
2015-03-16, 01:44 AM
In the same vein as others have said, what about Grey Knight?

Kraken
2015-03-16, 01:57 AM
I can see Miko forsaking the heavens and going ur-priest, and possibly into sacred fist from there. The pre requisities are tough to meet, but it's an OotS character, so RAW compliance doesn't need to be 100% in my mind.

KillingAScarab
2015-03-16, 05:03 AM
What's your best bet for a PrC to go into, with the few things you've got? How might you go forward from the falling disaster, in terms of a PrC to tie your build into something slightly less made of suck?In my mind, Miko wouldn't get any better in this regard. If she were still alive, her obsession with the Order of the Stick would make her go after them as quickly as possible. If she were to somehow pick up a class along the way which played to her strengths, perhaps it would be Tempest. If she were looking for a way to regain lost abilities, Vigilante offers detect evil and smite, but the skill and feat requirements are a little steep. It would also be far too on-the-nose for the samurai-not-samurai-class who struck down the corrupt lord.

Pyron
2015-03-16, 06:57 AM

With a little taint, I would have her go with the Corrupt Avenger PrC from Heroes of Horror. She meets the other requirements, and her ex-paladin levels can be cashed in for other benefits. Also, she already has a good choice for her Sworn Foe class abilities. It just fits her so well.

Metahuman1
2015-03-16, 07:04 AM
Ur-Priest and Sacred Fist strike me as possible. Particularly the former as you can just see her saying "Well, if the 12 Gods are determined to Test me by taking my power, then I shall pass the test by showing that I am strong enough to take of them what power I need to serve there will properly!"

Now, one thought that jumps out. Instead of picking up mainly PrC levels, I could see her picking up Crusader levels. Maybe with a dip into Warblade for some Juicy Diamond Mind and Iron Heart (and/or Tiger claw cause TWF.) goodness. Coupled with Ur-priest, maybe include Ruby Knight Vindicator.

atemu1234
2015-03-16, 07:12 AM
With a little taint, I would have her go with the Corrupt Avenger PrC from Heroes of Horror. She meets the other requirements, and her ex-paladin levels can be cashed in for other benefits. Also, she already has a good choice for her Sworn Foe class abilities. It just fits her so well.

Reminds me of a villain I once made; he was a mid-level (10th level) Paladin / Tainted Avenger. He was captured by a Corrupted Nymph (Tainted Nymph Blood Sorcerer with a homebrewed template) and tortured, placed inside tainted demonic armor, and corrupted from the inside out. By the time the players faced him, he was long since driven mad.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-17, 01:33 AM
Hm... Interesting thoughts so far. Thanks, y'all!

Setting aside alignment debates for a moment, because a lot of people would disagree with Miko staying this way, which of these works best if, despite her fall, Miko remained (L)awful Good?

Kraken
2015-03-17, 02:02 AM
A person can think they're good, or veering that way, but at the end of their run in D&D's cosmology, they have to go to an outer plane based on their alignment. You could very easily turn Miko's alignment evil, and have her acknowledge that as her current status (detect evil and so forth provide ways for her to be confronted with this). But, whatever it is you want her doing as an NPC, she could be doing it in the name of reclaiming her righteousness, in an ends justify the means sort of way. Edit: though you'd be fine leaving her as LG also (regardless of prc alignment requirements), but without knowing what exactly you have planned it's difficult to say how much of a stretch that'd be.

goto124
2015-03-17, 03:39 AM
Or we could tweak the question and ask for the best PrCs if alignment restrictions don't exist. Some of them require Evil by RAW.

lytokk
2015-03-17, 08:17 AM
Its probably suboptimal, but wasn't there a ronin class in complete warrior which was for fallen samurai? Thematically, I think it may fit.

KillingAScarab
2015-03-17, 08:40 AM
Its probably suboptimal, but wasn't there a ronin class in complete warrior which was for fallen samurai? Thematically, I think it may fit.The Complete Warrior Ronin prestige class requires being exiled by your lord, so I'm not certain she technically meets that entry requirement. Part of the mechanical reason for that is there are supposed to be attitude adjustments amongst the NPCs who know your shame. There's also the ability to trade in Samurai class levels, and regain Samurai class abilities; Miko has neither so she would just gain sneak attack, bonus feats and a special charge attack which reminds me of Durkon's comment about sickly dwarves picking fights with trees so they can die with honor.