PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Hunting down Int Bonuses

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-16, 03:26 AM
Heya all,

Im trying to hunt down some sources of very high int bonuses.
So far I am aware of the primordial giant template, but that is not quite what I am looking for.

Does anyone know of any monsters with savage species level progression with crazy mad int bonuses?
any other sources of note are most welcome too.

The more the better :3

atemu1234
2015-03-16, 07:36 AM
Fraal from D20 Future take a -4 penalty to Strength and Constitution but have +4 to all mental stats. Along with a few Psi-like abilities, and are LA +0. Though to be fair, it's partially because it translates horribly to 3.5. But I once convinced a DM to let me play one.

Thillidan
2015-03-16, 08:18 AM
Just, anything that can read/use Tome of the Clear mind +5 :P

defiantdan
2015-03-16, 09:18 AM
30 Base Sarruk
+1 Faustian Pact
+4 profane Bonus, Ally Possesion
+6 Enhancement bonus
+5 level up
+5 Inherent
+2 untyped Fiendish Familiar
+3 Age

That's all the stuff I could really find to boost int without using templates. Use PAO (polymorph any object) for the sarruk int. LAless templates I would recommend would be Dhampir and Ancient Undead. Both from Ravenloft. Though you might get a book thrown at you.

edit: Double cast polymorph any object for Sarruk int.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-16, 09:31 AM
30 Base Sarruk
+1 Faustian Pact
+6 Enhancement bonus
+5 level up
+5 Inherent
+3 Age

That's all the stuff I could really find to boost int without using templates. Use PAO (polymorph any object) for the sarruk int. LAless templates I would recommend would be Dhampir and Ancient Undead. Both from Ravenloft. Though you might get a book thrown at you.

Woo, Thanks both of yall for that, some of them I did not know about :)

Anyone know any monsters with LA that have good int? Im willing to sac a few levels for this build :P

Necroticplague
2015-03-16, 09:49 AM
Grey Elves get a +2 to int for no LA.

Air Genesai hagve a +4 int for 1 LA.

ShurikVch
2015-03-16, 02:21 PM
Hairy Spider, if somebody hit him with Empowered Awaken Vermin, will got Int 27; problem - 4 HD.

By RAW, Dragon Psychoses (Dr#313) are LA +0. So, Dragonwrought Kobold may get +6 Int from Riddled, +2 more from Spellhoarding, and usual +3 from Venerable age

Abusing "Lesser Planetouched" rules. You may get +2 Int from Lesser: Air Genasi, Fire Genasi, Tiefling (FRCS), Dust Para-Genasi, Smoke Para-Genasi, Axani, Cansin (Dr#297), Mechanatrix, Shyft (Fiend Folio), Fey’ri (RoF)

You may use Incarnate Construct to remove excessive LA from Warforged with some Int+ template. Unfortunately, there are just not enough templates with Int bonus and LA +2 or less. All I know is Phrenic Creature (+2 Int, LA +2; Expanded Psionics Handbook), Prodigy (+2 any one ability, LA +2; DMG2), Half-Nymph (+2 Int, LA +2; Dr#313) and Deep (+2 Int, LA +1; Dr#306)

Some races with LA +0 have +2 Int: Deep Imaskari, Fire Elf, Gray Elf, and Exiled Modron (Dr#354)

Also, Elf Paragon get +2 Int at 3rd level

Air Genesai hagve a +4 int for 1 LA. Only +2

Kraken
2015-03-16, 02:41 PM
Here's a list I've found useful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266107-Cranking-up-int-pre-epic)

Boost
2015-03-16, 03:00 PM
Heya all,

Im trying to hunt down some sources of very high int bonuses.
So far I am aware of the primordial giant template, but that is not quite what I am looking for.

Does anyone know of any monsters with savage species level progression with crazy mad int bonuses?
any other sources of note are most welcome too.

The more the better :3

Legendary Trait feat
Prerequisite: 17 in the chosen trait.
Benefit: Gain an addition +1 in the chosen ability score at levels 6, 12, 18, and every 6 levels.

Might not seem like much, but if you play to epic levels, it adds up.

And if you get to epic levels, use the Fortify seed to build an epic spell that boosts Int. This seed allows you to change the bonus type from enhancement to anything else, so it will stack with your headband of intellect. I had a wizard PC who used a daily buff that added over +20 to her Int.

atemu1234
2015-03-16, 03:51 PM
Legendary Trait feat
Prerequisite: 17 in the chosen trait.
Benefit: Gain an addition +1 in the chosen ability score at levels 6, 12, 18, and every 6 levels.

Might not seem like much, but if you play to epic levels, it adds up.

And if you get to epic levels, use the Fortify seed to build an epic spell that boosts Int. This seed allows you to change the bonus type from enhancement to anything else, so it will stack with your headband of intellect. I had a wizard PC who used a daily buff that added over +20 to her Int.

Is this a real feat? From where?

Boost
2015-03-16, 05:51 PM
Is this a real feat? From where?

It's from a book called "Swashbuckling Adventures," which is d20, not 3.0 or 3.5. A list of the feats can be found online: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19857395/Swashbuckling-Adventures-Feats#scribd

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-16, 07:29 PM
you guys are all awesome! :)

Ok lets look for something a little different

Thanks to Savage Species, we can give many monsters a "level" instead of a LA, spreading out there abilities.
Do any of yall know a creature who's level count for arcane casting that gets nice int bonuses?

Im gonna check a few myself of course, if I find anything I will post it as well.

also, since this is kinda on the same subject and I have not looked yet, there is no by any chance a CHA spell caster that prepares spells like a wizard does is there?

Edit: after finding a variant in CC, I am more steadfast then ever in my decision to stay with int lol

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-17, 01:20 PM
30 Base Sarruk
+1 Faustian Pact
+6 Enhancement bonus
+5 level up
+5 Inherent
+3 Age

Im reading over everything I can find, but I cant find how you are getting +2int from your familiar. Could you tell me how that works, or at least give me a book and page number, or a feat name or something? thanks :)

Im reading up on possesion now to see how that works

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-17, 01:59 PM
Woo, Thanks both of yall for that, some of them I did not know about :)

Anyone know any monsters with LA that have good int? Im willing to sac a few levels for this build :P

Out of curiousity...does the build have a goal other than having a huge intelligence? Normally you want that for spells, but sacrificing levels is basically something casters never want to do.

What's the end product here?

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-17, 02:26 PM
Out of curiousity...does the build have a goal other than having a huge intelligence? Normally you want that for spells, but sacrificing levels is basically something casters never want to do.

What's the end product here?

Edit: I have decided to make an ult magus instead.
Thanks for all the help :)

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-18, 01:17 PM
Im bumping the thread

I have been reading and reading, but I dont see how I am able to get a +2 int bonus from my familiar. I see plenty of ways to give +2 int TO him, but not for him to give it to me.