PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me decide on an inquisitor build.

Elric VIII
2015-03-16, 02:07 PM
I'm playing an inquisitor in Rise of the Runelords, currently at level 3. I originally wanted to go with a tripper build using the animal domain and my teamwork feats to aid in tripping. However, I have found that I just don't enjoy it. I'm going to ask my DM to let me retrain my 1st level improved trip into enforcer; I don't expect he'd have any issue with this. However, I am unsure of where I want the build to go after that. I have 2 possible builds, and I am hoping to get some feedback on them.

I don't want to dip into thug rogue since I think that has the potential of being too powerful for the premade campaign alongside enforcer and a +yes to intimidate. I hope to not give my DM too much of a headache.

Human sanctified slayer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/sanctified-slayer)
Str: 16
Dex: 10
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha: 10

This build uses the (from what I can tell) popular shatter defenses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shatter-defenses-combat---final)/sap master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sap-master-combat) combo with disheartening display (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/disheartening-display-combat) for control with some cleave/lunge to get some extra intimidated before I use disheartening.

1: combat expertise, bludgeoner
3: enforcer, outflank*
5: weapon focus (mace)
6: pack flanking*
7: dazzling display
8: sap adept**
9: shatter defenses, scarred legion*
11: disheartening display
12: shake it off*
13: sap master
15: cleave, coordinated charge*
16: lunge**
17: great cleave, powerful sneak**
18: coordinated defense*
19: skill focus (intimidate)
20: foil scrutiny**

*teamwork feats
**slayer talents/feats

This build uses hurtful (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/hurtful-combat) for extra damage and soulless gaze (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damnation-feats/soulless-gaze-damnation) + another damnation feat for some control. I go into shatter defenses later in the build.

1: combat expertise, bludgeoner
3: enforcer, outflank*
5: soulless gaze
6: pack flanking*
7: fiendskin
8: power attack
9: hurtful, scarred legion*
11: sap adept
12: shake it off*
13: weapon focus (mace)
15: dazzling display, coordinated charge*
16: shatter defenses**
17: sap master, powerful sneak**
18: coordinated defense*
19: skill focus (intimidate)
20: foil scrutiny**

*teamwork feats
**slayer talents/feats

Thoughts?

EvilAvocado
2015-03-16, 10:53 PM
Kudos, on moving away from a tripper.
ESPECIALLY in RotRL it's a bit difficult to pull off, as my poor dead bard can tell you....

Personally, I would go with Build B. It gives you some versatility early so you are less of a one trick pony.

Secret Wizard
2015-03-16, 11:47 PM
Get that Heavy Armor Proficiency. Your CON/DEX are too low for an Inquisitor (which usually does with 14/15 WIS at lower levels), and combat will be very frustrating for you. Alternative: You'll get a lot of mileage from replacing your bonus feat and the extra skill point for Dual Talent... put that extra +2 to DEX so you have some extra AC, initiative and Reflex saves...

The issue here is that without high DEX, your Reflex saves will blow... if your Reflex saves blow, you'll take full damage from every fireball and explosion... if you do that, you better have really high CON to absorb all the damage... and you have neither of these things.

If you are using point-buy, I recommend dropping WIS to 14 and getting DEX to 14. With a Breastplate on, you'll achieve great AC that way. If you do this, which I consider to be a great choice, you should use your first feat on Toughness. It will go miles.

On another topic, Powerful Sneak is the worst thing ever. It amounts to a full 0.5 extra damage in exchange of -1 attack. If you want to use your Slayer talents, do look into Ranger Combat Style feats. You'll get a lot more mileage out of those.

Elric VIII
2015-03-17, 01:38 AM
Personally, I would go with Build B. It gives you some versatility early so you are less of a one trick pony.

I was sort of leaning toward that one. Plus, those damnation feats are really cool.

Get that Heavy Armor Proficiency. Your CON/DEX are too low for an Inquisitor (which usually does with 14/15 WIS at lower levels), and combat will be very frustrating for you. Alternative: You'll get a lot of mileage from replacing your bonus feat and the extra skill point for Dual Talent... put that extra +2 to DEX so you have some extra AC, initiative and Reflex saves...

The issue here is that without high DEX, your Reflex saves will blow... if your Reflex saves blow, you'll take full damage from every fireball and explosion... if you do that, you better have really high CON to absorb all the damage... and you have neither of these things.

If you are using point-buy, I recommend dropping WIS to 14 and getting DEX to 14. With a Breastplate on, you'll achieve great AC that way. If you do this, which I consider to be a great choice, you should use your first feat on Toughness. It will go miles.

On another topic, Powerful Sneak is the worst thing ever. It amounts to a full 0.5 extra damage in exchange of -1 attack. If you want to use your Slayer talents, do look into Ranger Combat Style feats. You'll get a lot more mileage out of those.

I was thinking that my survivability might be too low. We're already in the game, so I can't change around my stats (I mistakenly thought that the inquisitor had heavy armor prof), and I didn't learn otherwise until I got enough cash for a half plate and was informed that I don't. We did get to start off with a free campaign feat and trait, so I ended up getting +1 reflex, +2 init, and +2 intimidate from that. One thing that I am considering, actually, would be using a cestus as my bludgeoning weapon so I can grab a heavy shield in my off hand to get some extra AC and still be able to cast spells.

Regarding powerful sneak, I really just ran out of slayer things I wanted. Unless I am misreading the ranger combat style option, you only get access to the first level of feats the first time you choose it. I suppose if I choose two-handed fighting to get power attack at 8th level, I can use the 16th or 17th level talent to pick up great cleave without the cleave prerequisite. I just have a bunch of feats clustered at the end of the build. Maybe I'll fit in quicken spell so I can swift cast + normal cast Blistering Invective for some immediate fear.

As for health, I've rolled pretty well, I have 26 health at level 3 (putting favored class bonus into health). Most of my favored class points will be health, just a few of them will be using the human option to acquire extra spells.

Thanks for the advice.

Secret Wizard
2015-03-17, 02:11 AM
You should look into Deity Favored Combat Styles too. (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/RangerCombatStyles.aspx) Some of them are really useful... I didn't hear who your deity is though.

Also, Slayer has several good talents... and all of them better than friggin' Powerful Sneak - Slow Reactions is great for removing AoOs from enemies to allow you to cast stuff or skirmish out, Unwitting Ally is damn OP to allow you to qualify for Teamwork Feat benefits, Blood Reader is great utility... and I'm absolutely certain there's some Ranger Combat Style that should be good for you.

NOTE: Ranger Combat Styles cannot be used with heavy armor, so if you go that way, you need to pick one or the other.

By the by, if you plan to deal mostly nonlethal damage, you should look into Melee Tactics Toolbox for Cudgeler Style...