View Full Version : How much of a challenge will the death knight be for V?

Bel_Bel
2007-04-10, 02:36 PM
Well, what do you think?

Megalomaniac2
2007-04-10, 03:06 PM
It's a Death Knight. Even though he seems not to be the sharpest sword in the armoury, they are the sort of creatures which tend to pose significant challenges. This bugger has spell resistance, is a lethal melee fighter (poor giant soldiers!), and I've read that Death Knight's can cast fireballs of their own. I'd be very surprised if he was already down for good, General Chang's AOO notwithstanding.

fangthane
2007-04-10, 04:15 PM
I think help will come from the general who will make an attack of opportunity and then engage the -- what? That already happened? What's this poll about then?! ;)

Endeavourl
2007-04-10, 04:32 PM
I think help will come from the general who will make an attack of opportunity and then engage the -- what? That already happened? What's this poll about then?! ;)

Thats what I thought too...:smallamused:

Deuce
2007-04-10, 04:38 PM

Hmmm . . . I think we need to name the General "Meati Shieldi" or something like that. Such an person would make V's job a lot easier.

Demented
2007-04-10, 05:01 PM
V will stomp the DK easily.

Then the ghasts will turn V into an elven divining rod. Again.

TigerHunter
2007-04-10, 05:25 PM
Hmmm . . . I think we need to name the General "Meati Shieldi" or something like that. Such an person would make V's job a lot easier.
He already has a name, General Chang.

Finwe
2007-04-10, 05:52 PM
V will stomp the DK easily.

Then the ghasts will turn V into an elven divining rod. Again.

'Cept these are ghouls, not ghasts. So V's immune to their paralyzing touch.

Deuce
2007-04-10, 05:58 PM
He already has a name, General Chang.

OK, so maybe I. "Meat Shield" Chang? :smalltongue:

Tmabbbb
2007-04-10, 06:59 PM
I think that V will cast disintegrate on the horse, and the death knight will be vulnerable to direct attack from V and the soldiers.

CardinalFang
2007-04-10, 07:02 PM
OK, so maybe I. "Meat Shield" Chang? :smalltongue:
With a name like Chang, wouldn't it be Chang MeatShield? Or is Chang his first name?

the_tick_rules
2007-04-10, 08:23 PM
I dunno, i'm betting V will triumph when you add in her support. i'l have to read up on DK to get a better understanding of him.

belboz
2007-04-11, 02:15 AM
Mmm...that death knight is down, but if we're talking about a death knight at all faithful to RAW, and if General Chang isn't near-epic, it's not out. Yeah, the loss of mounted combat feats is going to be a blow, but you don't kill (er, re-kill) a death knight by making it fall down and whacking it with a sword a couple of times. They'll beat it, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't take at least another strip or so.

Baru
2007-04-11, 02:25 AM
Maybe V will be killed.
Rich is generally unpredictable.

Eldpollard
2007-04-11, 05:10 PM
Maybe V will be killed.
Rich is generally unpredictable.

Doesn't matter if he is killed though. He can always be resurrected.

Mad Scientist
2007-04-11, 10:16 PM
I voted V will win easily now that the death knight is sans undead horse and lying at the feet of General Chang.

kawaiikub225
2007-04-11, 10:36 PM
thog will break out and kill em all :thog: :smallbiggrin:

Reptilus
2007-04-14, 04:07 PM
V will use his powers of magical alliteration with the spell Vitrionlic Sphere or some other SR-ignoring contrivance set to right the universe of DnD and make wizards broken again.

phobiandarkmoon
2007-04-16, 02:16 AM
Probably fairly hard, but I think the rather more pressing question is whether the soldiers can hold the line at the wall now that many of the giant soldiers are dead.

And, unashamedly nitpicking, "loose" means something that is not tight, or unwound. The verb "lose" means to come last, to not win. I think you meant one less 'o' in the poll option

Jawajoey
2007-04-16, 02:53 AM
I think it would be hard for V to fight it if V was alone, but he's already down and being beat by the General. Together, they'll be able to take him out for good.

Setra
2007-04-16, 02:59 AM
If General "Meatshield" Chang, loses, I expect Durkon to come help. I mean, he hasn't had his time to shine yet, and this would be a duel with a DK, which is kinda cool.

:durkon: A Lich is binding ghouls? TURN UNDEAD!

:smalleek:

Kreistor
2007-04-16, 01:23 PM
As a main character, V has to survive. At the very least, V will not die. The DK, however, needs to achieve the goal of breaching the walls. The story needs to pressure the OotS back towards the Gate, and that can only happen if the hobgoblins take the city.

Dread
2007-04-16, 01:40 PM
As a main character, V has to survive. At the very least, V will not die. The DK, however, needs to achieve the goal of breaching the walls. The story needs to pressure the OotS back towards the Gate, and that can only happen if the hobgoblins take the city.

Who says all main characters have to survive? We got plenty of them.
And I think they will take out the death knight and then V will fill the breach with the dead undead's corpses (doesn't sound right, somehow but you get my point). (S)he hasn't used any of her/his area spells yet.

Jawajoey
2007-04-16, 08:41 PM

Being main character is no real assurance of continued survival, at least not in this comic. I agree that V will survive, though, but for different reasons. Simply put, V has yet to achieve total arcane power, so ve can't die (permanently) yet. Also, there have been plenty of times when the party or specific members are totally beaten, but they're far from dead (bandit camp, V vs Gnome Druid). But I don't think V will get that far beaten.

I also disagree that the story requires the OOTS goes back to the gate. There are many equally promising paths that the story can take from here. There's no reason to assume that the plot has to go that one direction.

nothingclever
2007-04-16, 09:13 PM
'Cept these are ghouls, not ghasts. So V's immune to their paralyzing touch.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0436.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0107.html
'Cept these are ghasts, not ghouls. So V's not immune to their paralyzing touch.

Zombies:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0102.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-16, 10:47 PM
I think that the DK has been dealt with already. Maybe chang rolled a critical hit on it's neck.

If D&D had hit locations chang could have aimed at the neck and taken it out with his AOO attack.

jindra34
2007-04-16, 10:49 PM
I think that the DK has been dealt with already. Maybe chang rolled a critical hit on it's neck.

If D&D had hit locations chang could have aimed at the neck and taken it out with his AOO attack.

Umm... undead are immune to critcals... so sorry theory busted for now at least...

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-16, 10:51 PM
Umm... undead are immune to critcals... so sorry theory busted for now at least...

So, if you decapitate the Dk it doesn't finish it? Wow, they must be tougher than I thought.

jindra34
2007-04-16, 10:52 PM
So, if you decapitate the Dk it doesn't finish it? Wow, they must be tougher than I thought.

Yep. Exactly that undead are about as hard to kill by decapitation as golems... and some golems do not have heads...

Lucid_Archon
2007-04-16, 10:54 PM
Deathknights are tough, and most casters at this level would be flayed. V might make it by the skin of his/her plot. :smallwink:

Kreistor
2007-04-17, 02:05 PM
Seems that V doesn't share the optimizism of many in this thread. In the words of the quintessential K-nights, "Run away!"

And I notice that the DK's blast has now lceared the breach. A little later than I predicted (in another thread), but it's doen the job now. The Hobgoblins are going to be flooding into the city.

Rambi
2007-04-17, 04:14 PM
I think V will be able to think of something to beat him, or he'll be saved by a total Dues ex machina, like a meteor or spontanious combustion.

doliemaster
2007-04-17, 04:25 PM
V will lose because the death knight will use an aural blast and v won't make his reflex save then make a remark about the crappy reflex of his class.

factotum
2007-04-17, 04:25 PM
And I notice that the DK's blast has now lceared the breach. A little later than I predicted (in another thread), but it's doen the job now. The Hobgoblins are going to be flooding into the city.

None of the people surrounding the DK looked like the giant-sized soldiers who were holding the breach. OK, the DK already killed four of those on its way into the city, but that still leaves at least six unaccounted for (since three had already died before the Knight ever got there).

Kreistor
2007-04-17, 05:18 PM
use an aural blast

If GitP is playing by the rules, the DK only gets one of those per day, so that's used up.

None of the people surrounding the DK looked like the giant-sized soldiers who were holding the breach.

He one rounds 3 or four of them. That costs him 12 seconds to finish the other 6.

But he got the commander on site and a bunch of the reinforcements. The force coming through the breach is ghouls now, not 6HP Hobgoblins. Oh, it would be really, really bad if there was a ghast or two mixed in there.

EricDerKonig
2007-04-17, 07:45 PM
If GitP is playing by the rules, the DK only gets one of those per day, so that's used up.

The DK looks like he's preparing to cast another spell in the last panel, so either this one is an exception to the rules, or he's casting a different spell/spell-like ability (what else can DKs cast? Anyone know?)

Kreistor
2007-04-19, 10:17 AM
Kinda moot now. Deus Ex Machina to the rescue.