PDA

View Full Version : Spell Points and Arcane Recovery

Grand Warchief
2015-03-16, 09:09 PM
As the title suggests, how does the wizards arcane recovery feature work if you are using the spell points variant? for example, a 8 lvl wizard can recover 4 level 1 slots or 2 level 2 slots. But the spell point cost for 4 level 1 slots is 8 and the cost for 2 level 2 slots is 6. 6=\=8. Is there a better formula to use?

calebrus
2015-03-16, 09:15 PM
The spell point variant tells you how many spell points each spell slot costs.
Arcane recovery would return the number of points equal to the highest level spell that he can cast for a wizard (or druid) of that level.
So, for example, a third level spell slot costs 5 points. So if a 5th level wizard (or druid) tales a short rest (once 5 points have been spent) he would get 5 points back.

edit:
Or.... I'm remembering the points wrong and it's more, but you get the idea.

edit2:
Nope, I was remembering correctly.
Just follow the list in the DMG for how many points each spell costs. Once he has enough levels to cast that level spell, that is the number of points he gets back.

SharkForce
2015-03-16, 09:18 PM
depends. is the formula for spell points cost of a given slot basically (2*spell level) - 1?

if so, then just have it recover their level in spell points. yes, that gives a lot more level 1 spell slots than normal. but really, how often do you find yourself thinking "man, i really wish i had more of my lowest level spell slots" in a day?

calebrus
2015-03-16, 09:27 PM
It's half your level, rounded up, which means you can always create a slot of your highest available. It caps at 5th level slots, and then you have to double up on lower ones.
But that's irrelevant here because witl the variant you can only create one slot of each level 6th and above.
So just give them exactly enough to create one slot of their highest level available.
It works properly, and exactly like it should, all the way until level 19. But at that point, you're already so friggin versatile because of the spell point system that losing out on 3 more SPs (or however much it would be) basically becomes redundant.

1st 2 (levels 1 and 2)
2nd 3 (levels 3and 4)
3rd 5 (levels 5 and 6)
4th 6 (levels 7 and 8)
5th 7 (levels 9 and 10)
6th 9 (levels 11 and 12)
7th 10 (levels 13 and 14)
8th 11 (levels 15 and 16)
9th 13 (levels 17 through 20)

Strill
2015-03-16, 09:28 PM
Read the wording on how Spell Points work. You convert spell points into spell slots, which you then spend on spells.

Arcane Recovery would not give you spell points, but rather spell slots, just as written.