PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lycanthrope-like class/PrC?

Corwin_of_Amber
2015-03-16, 10:46 PM
I need to make a new character (turns out heavily armored Dwarves don't do involuntary aquatic combat too well :smallfrown: ).

Is there a class, PrC, or racial archetype that allows you to grow in power as a lycanthrope or someone that can turn into an anthropomorphic beast? The closest thing I can think of is the Shifter from 3.5's ECS with the Shifter Druid ACF, but this is for a PF only game. I think the Alchemist or Wizard can do it with a spell that works like the Beast Shape line for monstrous humanoids, but I would like something closer to an alternate form, rather than polymorphing. Does anything like this exist?

SparowCrow
2015-03-16, 10:48 PM
Would bear warrior from complete warrior work?

Thiyr
2015-03-17, 12:29 AM
Maybe a Beastmorph alchemist? It's giving abilities based on the beast morph line, but it's still leaving you in humanoid form (with appropriately fuzzy/scaly/pointy bits). Plus, comes online sooner than the spell version would, i'd think.

torrasque666
2015-03-17, 01:11 AM
PF only game.

Would bear warrior from complete warrior work?
Me thinks not.

On topic, have you given consideration to the Skinwalker race? Its basically the PF version of Shifter and while not a class, does give you a form of Shifting. Its even untimed so it can be all day if you want, you just take a Charisma penalty when dealing with non-shapeshifter humanoids.

Possibly the Master Chymist PrC?

KillingAScarab
2015-03-17, 09:08 AM
The WotC "Savage Progressions" articles by Sean K. Reynolds include monstous classes for the core lycanthrope templates, but those were made to reflect racial hit dice and level adjustments. Has he ever written anything about converting those to Pathfinder?

Vhaidara
2015-03-17, 09:16 AM
The Shifter class from Drop Dead Studios' Sphere's of Power is exactly that (I actually have a player using it to simulate lycanthropy). Sadly, third party and not yet on the PFSRD.

In first party material, I can think of two options
1. Druid. See if the GM will let you trade Animal Companion and Spellcasting for full BAB and Wild Shape from level 1.
2. Synthesist Summoner: this requires level 4 in order to work properly, but you can pick up a wand of Summon Eidolon (again, hopefully the GM lets you refluff the wand as a natural ability). Forswear all spellcasting, never use the Summon Monster ability, and build your eidolon like the animal you want to emulate (Bite and trip for werewolf, for example). Best if the GM lets you combine it with the Half Elf Wild Caller archetype (technically not compatible because they both modify the eidolon, but Synthesist changes how it works while Wild Caller just blacklists the more magical evolutions)

NightbringerGGZ
2015-03-17, 09:21 AM
You could be a Primal Companion Hunter with a dead animal companion. This would allow you to add Evolutions to yourself for 1 Min per Class Level per Day. You could build your transformation as a were-critter of your choice.

Yanisa
2015-03-17, 10:53 AM
How about a race? Skinwalkers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/skinwalkers-10-rp) are lyncanthrope people and they really transform as part of their race features.