PDA

View Full Version : Using a pet rock as a holy symbol for a nature cleric?

CyberThread
2015-03-17, 12:19 AM
What do you folks think?

Kane0
2015-03-17, 12:30 AM
I find that both hilarious and perfectly workable.
In fact its the kind of thing i'd expect a druid impersonating a cleric to do.

Daishain
2015-03-17, 12:31 AM
A nature cleric doesn't literally worship nature. They would typically worship a deity that is connected to nature in some way. Their holy symbol would be the one used by that deity.

By all means, refluff a cleric that does exactly that, just be aware that it isn't normally found within the usual lore.

TheOOB
2015-03-17, 01:18 AM
Unfortunately the only spell it acts as a focus for is cloud of bewilderment.

Slipperychicken
2015-03-17, 02:04 AM
As long as you pay the 5 gold for it and it's decorated (or modified, or otherwise distinct) enough to look like a holy symbol, go for it.

Personally, I'd be 100% okay with it, assuming that NPCs are aware that some nature clerics use these special stones as focuses to channel and enhance their magic. Basically so you can't get free holy symbols or try to trick people into thinking your holy symbol is just a normal rock.

Goodberry
2015-03-17, 02:55 AM
According to the PHB, "A holy symbol is a representation of a god or pantheon." I would interpret this to mean that it has to be distinguishable from a mundane item.

Forum Explorer
2015-03-17, 03:37 AM
According to the PHB, "A holy symbol is a representation of a god or pantheon." I would interpret this to mean that it has to be distinguishable from a mundane item.

What about Mune god of the Mundane? :smalltongue:

I love this idea and think it's brilliant. Of course only that pet rock will do. You can't just pick up any old rock. Your deity can tell the difference. :smallbiggrin:

Mr.Moron
2015-03-17, 04:20 AM
For a god of trickery and/or rocks and/or alcohol: Yes. Otherwise: No.

themaque
2015-03-17, 04:34 AM

How many rocks do YOU see with googly eyes?

http://claimthevictory.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/071811_0058_PetRock1.png

In all seriousness, this idea rocks. I mic-allow it in my games. There aren't any concrete rules regarding Holy Symbols. So as long as the pet was distinct, I would Granite. Chalk this one up as a win.

Mrmox42
2015-03-17, 05:52 AM
Many cultures considered special stones, like the ones with holes in them, to be special and possibly magical.
So any nature-inclined types could wear such stones in a string around their neck and believe them to bring good luck/protection/act as magical or spiritual foci.

So it actually makes sense :smallsmile:

(As long as he doesnt use a potato, a carrot or an onion)

kaoskonfety
2015-03-17, 06:54 AM
Outside of "sympathetic representation of the world" and angling it serious?

Assuming you literally mean "pet rock" and "this is a gag" there is nothing stopping you. You may have issue keeping the game on a serious note, but if you like the challenge or don't care/are running a 'light' game it should be fine.

Gnaeus
2015-03-17, 06:59 AM
I find that both hilarious and perfectly workable.
In fact its the kind of thing i'd expect a druid impersonating a cleric to do.

In 3.5, it was my Psion's holy symbol when he was a cleric. He'd just kind of wave it and go "Rah Bah Bah!" before manifesting.

pwykersotz
2015-03-17, 07:15 AM
In all seriousness, this idea rocks. I mic-allow it in my games. There aren't any concrete rules regarding Holy Symbols. So as long as the pet was distinct, I would Granite. Chalk this one up as a win.

Well punned. Well punned indeed. :smallsmile:

xroads
2015-03-17, 10:48 AM
As long as you pay the 5 gold for it and it's decorated (or modified, or otherwise distinct) enough to look like a holy symbol, go for it.

Hmmm... I wonder how big a gold nugget worth about five gold is? Slap some googly eyes on it and voila, there's the pet rock holy symbol worth about five gold. :smallbiggrin:

WickerNipple
2015-03-17, 11:26 AM
Hmmm... I wonder how big a gold nugget worth about five gold is? Slap some googly eyes on it and voila, there's the pet rock holy symbol worth about five gold. :smallbiggrin:

Not that big. The answer to that is always going to be the size of 5 gold coins melted down into a single lump.

The true value of gold in the world would determine the size of the coins, so that might vary a bit.

Elyk
2015-03-17, 11:36 AM
What about Mune god of the Mundane? :smalltongue:

Perfectly acceptable, given a god of the Mundane wouldn't grant spells, or magical abilities requiring a focus anyway (AKA I'm worshipping this god on my next Fighter or Barbarian :smallbiggrin:)

LordVonDerp
2015-03-17, 04:36 PM
Only if your a cleric of Moradin.

Safety Sword
2015-03-17, 05:16 PM
What if your pet rock is a gold nugget worth 5gp? ;)

Wow... came late to that party...

Totema
2015-03-17, 05:19 PM
It's a gneiss idea.

Knaight
2015-03-17, 05:30 PM
There are games where this sort of thing would be out of place. There are also games which this sort of thing is a brilliant bit of characterization that perfectly fits the milieu. Whether or not this would be allowed depends on the specifics of the game being run.