PDA

View Full Version : Favorite spells?

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 03:13 PM
Anyone have any spells they enjoy in particular?

I've got a few.
For one, there's magic missile. I mean, how can you NOT choose that spell? it's just so amazing. cliche'd, but amazing. My DM and I were talking about it, actually.

DM: (after I multiclassed to sorcerer) so what spells you choose?
Me: Well, first off, magic missile
DM: Nice
Me: Who doesn't choose magic missile?
DM: commies.

Obviously not everyone chooses it, but I think it's definitely my favorite spell of all time, and it's got a lot of stereotypes behind it and such.

I also like mage hand. We were in a battle once, and the enemies had crossbows. So I cast mage hand on both enemies, steal their bolts, take them for my crossbow, and shoot them both in the face (had to save my companion's butt after he failed his attack rolls miserable) It's just fun to take enemies' weapons, you know?

And all the summon monster spells. I love summoning an extraplanar badger to do my bidding. Who wouldn't?

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 03:14 PM
Anyone have any spells they enjoy in particular?

I've got a few.
For one, there's magic missile. I mean, how can you NOT choose that spell? it's just so amazing. cliche'd, but amazing. My DM and I were talking about it, actually.

Obviously not everyone chooses it, but I think it's definitely my favorite spell of all time, and it's got a lot of stereotypes behind it and such.

I also like mage hand. We were in a battle once, and the enemies had crossbows. So I cast mage hand on both enemies, steal their bolts, take them for my crossbow, and shoot them both in the face (had to save my companion's butt after he failed his attack rolls miserable) It's just fun to take enemies' weapons, you know?

And all the summon monster spells. I love summoning an extraplanar badger to do my bidding. Who wouldn't?

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 03:27 PM
Grease. Always grease.

I'm also quite partial to cometfall. And deific vengeance: Deus ex deo.

Back on the arcane side, Bands of steel is fun. And defenestrating sphere is the best thing ever.

That is all.

Darkxarth
2007-04-10, 03:41 PM
Level 0 - Prestidigitation
Level 1 - Magic Missile
Level 2 - Blindness/Deafness

JellyPooga
2007-04-10, 03:41 PM
Though I've never used it and probably never will (on account of not playing Clerics), Clutch of Orcus has always held a place in my heart for its utter evilness.

Picture the scene...

The Bad Guy, an Undead Cleric, holds forth his skeletally thin arm, his hand a withered claw. Dark energies crawl across it. An evil chuckle passes his withered lips, perhaps the first in a century of unlife. The Good Guy is on his knees, sword forgotten on the floor beside him, his hand clutched to his chest, his face the very picture of agony. He has plenty of time, in this pose of exquisite pain, to think upon the mission he has failed, the loved ones he knows will die and the companions he failed to rescue, before finally falling to the ground, quite dead. The Bad Guy frowns slightly at the weakness of his foe and the speed with which he succumbed to his fate. With the most imperceptible of shrugs he draws his hand closer to his face and smiles at the smoking ruin that was once the Good Guys heart. Crushing it in his vice-lke grip, it tumbles to the floor, no more now than so much ash. The Bad Guy turns slowly to the three men chained to the wall of the dungeon. They look like they have seen better days and all carry the anguished look of people who have just watched a friend die before their eyes. The Bad Guy speaks, his voice dry like his ancient body. "Now...who wants to be next?"

Fhaolan
2007-04-10, 03:50 PM
Create Water, for the pure 'tick off the monologging villain' fun of it.

"Ha! Now you are at my mercy!"

<Create Water> *splooosh*

"You cannot defeat me! I am a GOD!!!"

"Stop that!"

Nothing ticks off the BBEG more than being soggy.

Ivius
2007-04-10, 03:50 PM
I love bypassing plot-hooks with Mount as a Sorcerer.

DM: As you head to the stable to buy horses...
Me: I cast Mount four times.

And hilarity ensued when I casted it after forgetting I was in a literal basement. It was the most inappropriately easy handle-animal check ever

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 03:59 PM
The Bad Guy frowns slightly

Undead have lips now?

As for level by level-

0-flare
1-Grease
2-Shatter/fog cloud
3-Bands of Steel/shadow binding
4-Stone Shape, Arcane Eye
5- Passwall, Faithful Hound
6-Repulsion, Shadow Walk
7-Spell Turning, Phase Door
8-Maze, Greater Prying Eyes
9-Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, Absorption

Maryring
2007-04-10, 04:00 PM
I don't use magic missile. My wizard doesn't even have it in his spellbook. Why? Wizards have "I win" spells for every single level (except 0... unless you count Prestidigiation, which always wins). Magic Missile is not one of them.

Wystrell
2007-04-10, 04:00 PM
Balagorn's Iron Horn: level one arcane spell. Basically an autotrip at an early level. 30ft cone at 2nd, no save, no resistance... :D

I saw it, and first thought was: this fixes Bard!

That and Song of Dischord.

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 04:02 PM
Er, why'd this thread get created twice?

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 04:02 PM
I love bypassing plot-hooks with Mount as a Sorcerer.

DM: As you head to the stable to buy horses...
Me: I cast Mount four times.

And hilarity ensued when I casted it after forgetting I was in a literal basement. It was the most inappropriately easy handle-animal check ever

I must say, that was definitely the funniest one I've heard so far

on another note, sorry mods for double-posting. I didn't mean too. The forums got kinda slow and icky, and I guess I hit submit post twice or something.

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 04:04 PM
Er, why'd this thread get created twice?

my error. I think. the web was being slow, and it kinda got all messed up. didn't mean to.

JellyPooga
2007-04-10, 04:40 PM
Undead have lips now?

Uh, yeah. (well, the non-skeletal ones do anyway)

Kel_Arath
2007-04-10, 04:41 PM

i love you... no really, my friends always ridicule me for preparing as many of those spells as possible, but ive done that same thing with mage hand (only arrows, not bolts) plus magic missile is the shiz!
then for my other favorites, the 2nd level Ram spell for breaking doors cause its funny, and definately the slide spells for neatness

Jasdoif
2007-04-10, 04:43 PM
Meteor Swarm is fun. Inefficient, yes, but fun.

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 04:51 PM
then for my other favorites, the 2nd level Ram spell for breaking doors cause its funny

I can see it now, this is totally how my game would go if I had that spell.

"I cast ram on the door"
"you have no reason, it's open"
"I cast RAM on the DOOR"
"*sigh* Ok, you ram the door, it explodes, killing everyone in that room"

...I may have to choose this spell when I level up next time.

Amiria
2007-04-10, 04:54 PM
Fireball !!! (It was Amiria's first word ...)

Yeah, I know the spell is sub par, like most direct damage spells, but it is also one of the most iconic spells of D&D, the first long range direct damage area effect spell.

When I level a wizard up to 5th level I almost always give him Dispel Magic and Fireball as his two free spells.

Now that Amiria is an 18th level wizzzard my attention shifted naturally to higher level spells. Disintegrate is also one of my favorite spells, if only I could up the DC some more.

And with the Spell Compendium came Moonbow, with Metamagic (maximze !) it is one of the best, if not the best, direct damage spell.

Now I came out as a direct damage lover. :smallredface: Well, what can I say ?

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 05:02 PM
Now I came out as a direct damage lover. :smallredface: Well, what can I say

Direct damage is actually pretty awesome, in my opinion. Same with dispel magic, great spell that is.

V uses it in the funniest ways, ever notice that?

Morty
2007-04-10, 05:05 PM
I love all teleportation spells, but sadly in D&D they're horribly written, so I don't use them. I have sentiment for Magic Missle spell- I don't care if it's sub-par, I love to use it. I'm also fond of Mage Hand and Telekinesis. Basically I'm wizard addict, so I love all spells except of Cojuration(Creation) and Conjuration(Summoning).

Direct damage is actually pretty awesome, in my opinion. Same with dispel magic, great spell that is.

V uses it in the funniest ways, ever notice that?

Direct damage is actually weaker than other types of spells, but it is awesome. Gimme Fireball and Stinking Cloud and I'll use the former every day. Of course, I'd rather use Haste or Fly than Fireball, but still.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 05:06 PM
I like Shatter, Girallon's Blessing, Disintegrate, Lightning Bolt, Chasing Perfection, Cloud of Knives, and Shadow Landscape, each for their own unique and tasty reason.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 05:07 PM
teleport, sonic lance, sphere of ultimate destruction, anything that uses sonic or destroys a body...

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 05:22 PM
each for their own unique and tasty reason.

mmm....

cloud of knives.
what's more delicious than a CLOUD of KNIVES.

NOTHING.

(except maybe a tornado of knives)

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 05:25 PM
mmm....

cloud of knives.
what's more delicious than a CLOUD of KNIVES.

NOTHING.

(except maybe a tornado of knives)

Cloud of Knives, Ring of Blades, Manyjaws, and Vortex of Teeth all at the same time. That's more delicious.

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 05:28 PM
Cloud of Knives, Ring of Blades, Manyjaws, and Vortex of Teeth all at the same time. That's more delicious.

And it's part of this complete breakfast!

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 05:33 PM
Wishing I had spell compendium to see what half of those do.

Also...I still haven't heard the argument explaining why direct damage sucks. I mean, it's not like I'm the biggest fan of it, but I've seen it used very effectively. If you want to talk about "win buttons", I'd consider killing everything with one or two spells a sufficient win.

Also also-freezing fog. I've always had the urge to cast freezing fog and incindiary fog right on top of/next to each other.

jlousivy
2007-04-10, 05:41 PM
Fabricate- especially with a nice DM. ie: oh there's a bunch of dirt
fabricate-- now you have a dirt wall.
think transmuting from Full Metal Alchemist

Body of War for a nice visual

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 05:43 PM

Imagine the following, all in combination:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ca_gallery/85467.jpg

Ring of Blades

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph2_gallery/97134.jpg

Cloud of Knives

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spellcomp_gallery/92250.jpg

Manyjaws

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spellcomp_gallery/92296.jpg

Vortex of Teeth

...that should give you a pretty good idea.

Wystrell
2007-04-10, 05:49 PM

Psst...

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php

Good archive of just about everything. Brief descriptions, but good reference tool.

Just Alex
2007-04-10, 06:05 PM
I tend to lean towards martial casters, so Critical Strike has a place in my heart. My first character in 3.5 ended up a Master of the Unseen Hand, so Telekinisis gets a good amount of play from me as well. However, the single spell that has managed to amuse me the most is, unfortunately, not in DnD, at least to my knowledge.
Legend of the Five Ring's Fire spell Burn the Soul. Nothing quite as brutal as a spell that, if you somehow manage to live through it, administers two disadvantages: Phobia: Fire and Permanent Wound

silentknight
2007-04-10, 06:08 PM
Fireball, definitely fireball. Even if there aren't any facts to support such a theory, I always equate fireball = win. A low level mage has be careful, but once you are high enough level to cast fireball, well, everything goes BOOM!

Amiria
2007-04-10, 06:10 PM
Well, there are some oulde AD&D spells that are still missing in 3.x. Among my favorites are:

Leomund's Lamentable Belaborment (http://www.alchar.org/~aedil/Campaign/WizardSpells/Leomunds_Lamentable_Belaborment.html)

and

Duo-Dimension (http://www.alchar.org/~aedil/Campaign/WizardSpells/Duo_Dimension.html)

averagejoe
2007-04-10, 06:15 PM
Control weather. I have this dream of summoning a tornado in the middle of a town/army/boatyard/heard of cows. On a similar note, control winds is also pretty awsome. What can I say, I love the large dramatic spells. They feed my ego.

One of my PC's is in love with grease. And not for the reasons that make the spell good either. More for plans like, "We get a bathtub, put everyone in, then I cast grease on the bathtub..." He comes up with the most unlikely plans, often doing more work than just fighting everything, and most of the time it involves one or more greases.

silentknight
2007-04-10, 06:19 PM
Fireball, definitely fireball. Even if there aren't any facts to support such a theory, I always equate fireball = win. A low level mage has be careful, but once you are high enough level to cast fireball, well, everything goes BOOM!

(Copied from the other "favorite spells" thread)

Amiria
2007-04-10, 06:28 PM

Right, the first time your wizzzard casts this spell is an important point of transition ... transcending a threshold which divides the apprentices from the adepts ... an initiation rite ... into the mystic wizzzard's arts of making things go BOOOM !

The_Werebear
2007-04-10, 06:29 PM
Disintigrate, Baleful Polymorph, Shapechange, Overland Flight...

I am a Transmutation Junkie.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-10, 06:39 PM
Jeez, too many to list. Here are a few, anyway: Telekinesis, Metal Melt, Shatterfloor, Adamantine Wings, Arcane Fusion, Greater Arcane Fusion, Channeled Sound Blast, Coat of Arms, Deadly Lahar, Deadly Sunstroke, Dimension Jumper, Greater Dimension Jumper, Time Stop, Enduring Scrutiny, Energy Absorption, Fever Dream, Orb of Fire series, Transmute Rock to Lava, Genius Loci, Heart of Air, Heart of Earth, Heart of Fire, Heart of Water, Incendiary Slime, Lash of Force, Lightning Leap (modified to deal fire damage), Lingering Flames, Luminous Swarm, Mysterious Redirection, Nightmare Terrain, Ottiluke's Suppressing Field, Prismatic Bow, Rain of Spines, Rebirth of Iron, Iron Body, Smoky Confinement, Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Spellcaster's Bane, Storm of Needles, Touch of Years, Haste, Slow, Transcend Mortality, Anticipate Teleportation, Greater Anticipate Teleportation, Blast of Flame, Greater Blink, Project Image, Blistering Radiance, Cloud of Knives, Energy Immunity, Decapitating Scarf, Fiery Eyes, Fire Breath, Fire Shield, Mass Fire Shield, Fireburst, Greater Fireburst, Hail of Stone, Internal Fire, Detonate, Fireball, Delayed Blast Fireball, Meteor Swarm, Metal Skin, Wish, Magic Missile, Mindblank, Modify Memory, Power Word series, Transmute Metal to Wood, Mantle of the Fiery Spirit, Mephit Mob, Parboil...

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-10, 06:44 PM
Bah, fireball. So inelegant.

Confusion is probably my favorite spell. Turn a group of enemies into a Fight Club!

McDeath
2007-04-10, 06:46 PM
My sorcerer just made 12th level...Mass Suggestion is officially my favorite spell ever. Dominate Person and Hold Monster are pretty cool, too.
"The head of the city guard is plotting to kill the king! Better take him out, then." - Against a room full of aristocrats.

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-04-10, 06:47 PM
Cantrips! So useful with a good imagination. (I'll never forget the time an ally frayed an NPC's clothes with cantrips as a distraction. It sort of worked... kind of...)

I use Chill Touch more than I should, but that's just because its quick, necromantic (I play 2e) and baddies or allies are often too close to risk splash damage. Chill Touch to the face sometimes gets people off of me...

There's also a lovely spell called Shadow Dance that I can't find on the internets but is in one of my DM's spell compendiums. It's much like Shadow Form but 4th level and instead of passing through obstacles it allows you to float upwards veeeerrry slowly. Definitely a fave.

Lemur
2007-04-10, 06:49 PM
Silent Image. Oh the abuse I've done with this spell. And I've never done any sort of killer shadow gnome cheese either.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 06:52 PM

"Stop that!"

Fhaolan wins. Fhaolan wins lots.

Gerrtt
2007-04-10, 06:56 PM

"Stop that!"

Just imagine if your DM would let you create spaghetti instead of water...even better. Great use of the spell though, especially at high levels.

SpatulaOfDoom
2007-04-10, 07:02 PM
Defenstrating sphere is fun, I like the idea of throwing your opponents about with a swirling ball of air.
Steeldance is a great way to keep people occupied or deal with some mooks.
Suggestion is just so flexable and fun conceptually I always take it when playing a wizard.
I'll throw in for Cloud of Knives too.

SpiderBrigade
2007-04-10, 07:06 PM
The_Werebear...isn't that list a little long to really count as your "favorite" spells? That's like "my favorite class is...all of them"

The_Werebear
2007-04-10, 07:23 PM
The_Werebear...isn't that list a little long to really count as your "favorite" spells? That's like "my favorite class is...all of them"

I would roll them all into one spell of ultimate doom if I could...

This spell causes you to turn into a penguin, collapse in a pile of dust, then turn to stone while causing me to shift into whatever creature I want while flying.

Oh well, if I had to pick one it would probably be one I didn't even mention, Haste.

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 08:22 PM

....and you don't comment on OzymandiasVolt's cumbersome list?

Yeah, I knew about cloud of knives. My favoured soul has that spell. Bloody sweet.

So, I went through my cumbersome list. My favorite spell of all time-arc of lightning. Yeah, yeah, direct damage. I also like battlefield control spells (which conjuration has a suprising amount of, I've noticed picking spells for my conjurer), but arc of lightning is just fun. Because with good strategy, it can take years to decide the best targets.

"Lessee....between these two I'd get the most people....but if I draw between these two I'd get two less people, but include the leader...hm...."

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-10, 09:09 PM
Hey, that list is only a FRACTION of the spells available. It's basically "the spells I like from one book, about five from other books, and a few from the SRD". <_<

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-10, 09:10 PM
Sheriff: Note: This is two threads merged so there maybe some wierdness.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 09:11 PM

"Stop that!"

Fhaolan still wins.

Ramza00
2007-04-10, 09:50 PM
Fabricate- especially with a nice DM. ie: oh there's a bunch of dirt
fabricate-- now you have a dirt wall.
think transmuting from Full Metal Alchemist

Would work better with the Psionic version of Fabricate and Fabricate Greater due to you being able to use Linked Power and thus able to cast the spell easily in 2 rounds (the 1st round is a simple lvl 1 power)

Interesting, I never thought about using psionics for making a FMA character...this is an idea :smallsmile:

Iggero
2007-04-10, 10:18 PM
Holy Power spells. Playing a cleric right now, having great fun. Favorite spells: Righteous might, flame strike, Armageddon, End to Strife, and Exalted Fury (total holy suicide bomb). Really, I just love proving the power of the gods, over and over again.
Arcane spells: any attack with a range of touch. Warmage/blood magus melee nut.

Jack Mann
2007-04-10, 10:38 PM
Enervation. Especially with split ray and empower.

"I will destroy you utterly!"

"Yeah, about that? Did you notice those two dark rays of negative energy I just hit you with? Those drained your levels. You just lost your seven highest level spells, and you took a -7 penalty to everything except hit points. Those take a -35 penalty. But do keep going. I want to hear about your grandiose scheme before my friend the cleric casts holy word."

Sabattus
2007-04-10, 10:42 PM
Bah, fireball. So inelegant.

Confusion is probably my favorite spell. Turn a group of enemies into a Fight Club!

I agree with your opinion of fireball, but why confusion? I'm somewhat leery of it having a chance, however small (1 in 5?), to basically do little more than provoke your opponent(s) to immediately try to kill you specifically. Admittedly, the other 4 chances in 5 are quite nice, mind you...

I've been tinkering with illusionist and master specialists recently, and things like SpC's phantasmal assailants seems damned nice... particularly when preceded by, say, a ray of clumsiness.

Sabattus
2007-04-10, 10:45 PM
Silent Image. Oh the abuse I've done with this spell. And I've never done any sort of killer shadow gnome cheese either.

Example? I was actually considering trying a bit of killer shadow gnome illusionist cheese myself, so any ideas you'd care to offer would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-10, 10:53 PM
^^^ I concur.
Enervation is win.
That and Polymorph Any Object (not necessarily for the cheese, but for the hilarity.)
"What? I can't bust through the door with a Strength of 56?"
*polymorph any object's the door into paper*
"I don't know what you're talking about. I can bust through it with a Strength of 8."

Fhaolan
2007-04-11, 05:42 PM
Fhaolan still wins.

*Fhaolan bows* :smallbiggrin:

It's one of those strange little facts that I've run into BBEG's who are immune to fire, I've run into those that are immune to mind-control, I've run into those who are immune to nearly every spell in the compendium.

But each and every BBEG I've run into detests having a bucket of water dumped on them. It doesn't hurt them in any way, but dear lord it's insulting.

"Ahhh! My armor's rusting!!!"

<Create Water> *sploosh*

"Minion! Get me a towel!"

Dhavaer
2007-04-11, 05:46 PM
Thunderlance and Greater Biofeedback (the Modern version).

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-11, 07:47 PM
*Fhaolan bows* :smallbiggrin:

It's one of those strange little facts that I've run into BBEG's who are immune to fire, I've run into those that are immune to mind-control, I've run into those who are immune to nearly every spell in the compendium.

But each and every BBEG I've run into detests having a bucket of water dumped on them. It doesn't hurt them in any way, but dear lord it's insulting.

"Ahhh! My armor's rusting!!!"

<Create Water> *sploosh*

"Minion! Get me a towel!"

Sir, I do believe you win in terms of hilarity.

(I'm so trying that when I get a chance, thank you. you are inspiring)

JackMage666
2007-04-11, 08:40 PM
Baleful Polymorph. Nothing gives me more pleasure than turning the enemies into puppies. Then, training them.

Caledonian
2007-04-11, 09:02 PM
Body of Fire, Choke, and Bottle of Smoke.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-04-11, 09:38 PM
Manyjaws. Nothing like a bunch of FORCE effects munching on a creature for 10 or so rounds. Awesomeness.

ocato
2007-04-11, 10:19 PM
Shout and Greater Shout-- Look Ma, Bard Direct Damage!
Glibness-- I didn't shoot the sheriff, I think it was Olidimara.
Tarsha's Hideous Laughter-- "Stop making all of your Bards into The Joker"
Glitterdust-- "Glitterdust is not good and you need to stop using it to foil everything"

The quotes come from my old DM

Ionari
2007-04-11, 10:20 PM
One of my PC's is in love with grease. And not for the reasons that make the spell good either. More for plans like, "We get a bathtub, put everyone in, then I cast grease on the bathtub..."

Ummm... how do your other PC's react to that, ahem, proposition?

The_Werebear
2007-04-11, 10:21 PM
Baleful Polymorph. Nothing gives me more pleasure than turning the enemies into puppies. Then, training them.

Turning them into Penguins is way cooler.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-11, 10:28 PM
No way, penguins are too awesome to be a badguy's new form. It might make him even DEADLIER.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-04-11, 10:41 PM
Could you cast Baleful Polymorph on something and actually IMPROVE it?

Like, turning a toad into a squirrel, or something... Hmm...

Reinboom
2007-04-16, 09:43 PM
My favorite spells:
Baleful Transposition: Position yourself just far enough away from the charge enemy, then ready action. Charging? Ok! Oops, I'm over here! Overrunning? Oops! You also ran into your buddy.
Benign Transposition: Quickened expeditious retreat, get behind the big guy asap, now... poof! There's a rogue here to backstab it instead.
Or, what do you mean you guys can't fly yet? Oh right, I'll just have to switch you up here newbs
Vortex of Teeth: Only because I recently played a sorcerer with a fascination of fishies.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-16, 09:44 PM
Baleful Transposition + Anticipate Teleport = win.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 09:48 PM
It's even better when the enemy caster casts regroup and wasn't expecting your contingent anticipate teleport.

SMDVogrin
2007-04-17, 12:40 AM
Charm Person (Monster), Dominate Person (Monster), and Programmed Amnesia.

Because if you're Machiavellian enough, you never have to actually risk your _own_ skin...

Jacob Orlove
2007-04-17, 02:08 AM
I agree with your opinion of fireball, but why confusion? I'm somewhat leery of it having a chance, however small (1 in 5?), to basically do little more than provoke your opponent(s) to immediately try to kill you specifically. Admittedly, the other 4 chances in 5 are quite nice, mind you...
The key clause actually isn't in the options; it's the part about how they always attack whoever attacked them last. Once they start hitting each other, they don't stop. In round 1, 20% hit a buddy, and each pair now stops rolling and just hits each other. In round 2, about 40% of the remainder find themselves in a similar situation. By round 3, about three quarters of your enemies are in personal combat with each other.

Personally, I like Glitterdust a lot. Sculpt Spell + Glitterdust is unfair.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-17, 02:22 AM
I like Avasculate for two reasons: One, whatever you hit, so long as it has no spell resistance (which can be overcome fairly easily anyways) Boom! Half their hit points gone, and maybe stunned for one round. Two: The image of making them purge vital fluids out through their skin... *shudders*

Dhavaer
2007-04-17, 02:24 AM
Manyjaws. Nothing like a bunch of FORCE effects munching on a creature for 10 or so rounds. Awesomeness.

Manyjaws requires you to concentrate on it, and it caps at three rounds. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me, unless you're up to your knees in incorporeal creatures.

Ethdred
2007-04-17, 05:28 AM
Right, the first time your wizzzard casts this spell is an important point of transition ... transcending a threshold which divides the apprentices from the adepts ... an initiation rite ... into the mystic wizzzard's arts of making things go BOOOM !

I'm in love...

Fireball is just such a fun spell. Leaving aside all the blah blah direct damage is sub par blah blah one shot win blah blah, there just isn't a spell that feels so much fun in the whole game. I don't know what it is - maybe it's because the spell was so much more awesome when I started playing Basic D&D. But I've always been slightly disappointed that higher level spells aren't more fun.

Confusion is also a great spell - yes, maybe it gives a chance of the enemy attacking you, but they were going to do that anyway. Meanwhile, the rest of the enemy are behaving in DM-annoying ways. I also love Evard's in the 4th level slot, though it's not as much fun now as in 2nd edition when it just did constricting damage. I hate having to mess around with grappling rules (as does my DM, so that's alright)

Maybe I haven't done enough high level play, but I don't really have favourite spells above 4th level.

I've finally convinced the wizard in my table top group to dedicate his 1st level slots to Magic Missile. It was fighting the DR10/- elemental that did it - when he realised he did more effective damage than my ranger he was sold!

Miles Invictus
2007-04-18, 01:42 AM
Grease. "Hi, make a Reflex save every time you attack for the next, oh...seven rounds."

Ray of Enfeeblement. My DM treats it like a fear effect -- enfeebled foes always run away. The last one fled into a room and promptly got eaten by a giant lobster.

Glitterdust. Nullifies invisiblity? Check. Decent chance of blindness? Check. Has also prompted some enemies to beat a hasty retreat.

Haste. I might be needlessly paranoid about save-or-lose spells, but I can still get my jollies by watching the rest of the team beat the crap out of something.

Fly. Death from above!

Dimension Door. Instant escape.

To date, my wizard has never cast Magic Missile. Really, why would he need to?

infinite_ant
2007-04-18, 04:41 AM
Ghost Sound, rouse, blade of blood & kelgores firebolt.
Low Level Sorcerer/Wizards (damn d4's) :tongue:

Ruarc
2007-04-18, 07:20 PM
Wizards have "I win" spells for every single level (except 0... unless you count Prestidigiation, which always wins)

I've never actually played a wizard and I've never seen a wizard played well, so your comment made me curious. Which are the spells you are thinking of at each level?

Kurobara
2007-04-18, 10:22 PM
I've been playing a Bard//Favored Soul lately... I've gotten very partial to Inspirational Boost and Light of Venya. Especially the former.

jameswilliamogle
2007-04-19, 10:26 AM
Grease and Permanancy (not together, obviously).

Grease has been mentioned numerous times.

Nothing says "bring on some non-cliche villains" like permanant See Invisibility and Arcane Sight.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 10:31 AM
The new level 9 damage spell from complete mage, prismatic deluge. For one simple reason: the battle cry.

"Taste the rainbow, bitches!"

Teloric
2007-04-19, 10:40 AM
I'm only familiar with Core spells, so here's my list:

Level 1: Mage Armour - Grease, Sleep, and Colour Spray are all interchangeable, but who doesn't take Mage Armour?
Level 2: Rope Trick - Glitterdust, Invisibility, Web, and Bull's Strength are all useful in many situations, but Rope Trick is the spell you must have (especially when you can Extend it).
Level 3: Haste - Fly and Dispel Magic are important spells, but again, you've just got to have Haste.

That's as far as I can see to date. Haven't played my Wizard up to a high enough level to provide any further insight...

Saph
2007-04-19, 10:54 AM
Charm Monster for me. I just love turning murderous enemies into friends with a single spell.

Giant: "Grarrgh! How dare you come here? I will slay you for the glory of-"
Enchantress: <charm monster>
Giant: "of- of- Wow, all of a sudden I've just realised how much I like you. I'm really sorry for trying to kill you like that."
Enchantress: "Oh, that's okay, I understand. Would you mind directing me around this fortress? I'm kind of lost."
Giant: "Okay!"

It gets even more fun when the DM has to roleplay the interaction between my new friend and the rest of the enemies. :)

- Saph

Indon
2007-04-19, 11:15 AM
Scorching Ray's a favorite of mine. Because it's a laser, and I like lasers. Really, any ray's cool with me.

Shout's also a favorite. I've not really used it much, but the picture of someone just _yelling_ generating enough raw power to cause harm rocks (Edit: He is the Quisatz Haderach!).

From Exalted, I think Rune of Singular Hate is awesome.

Green Bean
2007-04-19, 04:17 PM
Disintegrate, for the way you can use it on objects and people without any visual difference in the remains.

"You may have killed my powerful minion with your power of disintegration, but let's see you do it again!"

*Ressurection*

"Feel the wrath of my... kitchen door?"

Drwg
2007-04-19, 06:34 PM
I think my favorite is fairie fire. The people I play with (DM included) tend to spend way too much time hiding and moving silently. Combine it with a high listen and a high spot and a little obscuring mist.

It has foiled many plans.

Generic PC
2007-04-20, 12:11 AM
Haste... extra action is great, and it has so many other great uses... also...

"Stop that!"

I second the fact that Fhaolan Wins... also deserves Cookie...and Cake? but maybe not Pie...