PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob...

WilsonUndead
2015-03-17, 10:16 AM
Hey everyone!
So quick summary, I played 3e a loooong time ago and only briefly. I'm getting into 5e now, still learning the rules and whatnot, haven't even made a character yet. A lot of this stuff I have no recollection of.
My question:
Can anyone help me make a Blue Slaad pc at lvl 1?
I had one the first time I played and I loved him, I've got a thing for blue slaadi, not sure why.
But is it possible in 5e? Could anyone give me a rundown on what you think he would have for skills and stuff like that?
Thanks
Edit: also go easy on me with terms and stuff, haven't finished the PHB yet and like I said, new :P

pwykersotz
2015-03-17, 10:32 AM
PC's and Monsters aren't built the same way anymore, so it's not technically possible without homebrewing or refluffing your own. If he has some traits that arent shared by the other races in the book, the DMG has guidelines for new races that you and your DM can work together on. If it doesn't, I'd reskin something existing.

That said, what you're suggesting is highly supported in terms of the developers encouraging people to make this game their own, and it's exactly why the guidelines are in the DMG.

So I guess the question is, do you have any specific traits that you'd like to see, other than the look?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-03-17, 10:44 AM
So, firstly, I'd say take it up with your DM. The fluff for a Blue Slaad is problematic (Anything you hit gets infected and turned into a new Slaad).

So here's my quick, probably OP, attempt at a PC race:
+2 STR, +1 CON
Medium Size
30' Speed
Darkvision 60'
Magic Resistance: Advantage on STR and CON saves vs Magic
Elemental Resistance: Resistant to one of acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder damage. Selected at character creation.
Proficient in unarmed attacks, uses 1d4 as the damage die.
Regeneration: After a short rest, if a hit die was spend to heal, you may heal an additional 1d6+CON.
Speaks Slaadi, common

pwykersotz
2015-03-17, 10:54 AM
So, firstly, I'd say take it up with your DM. The fluff for a Blue Slaad is problematic (Anything you hit gets infected and turned into a new Slaad).

So here's my quick, probably OP, attempt at a PC race:
+2 STR, +1 CON
Medium Size
30' Speed
Darkvision 60'
Magic Resistance: Advantage on STR and CON saves vs Magic
Elemental Resistance: Resistant to one of acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder damage. Selected at character creation.
Proficient in unarmed attacks, uses 1d4 as the damage die.
Regeneration: After a short rest, if a hit die was spend to heal, you may heal an additional 1d6+CON.
Speaks Slaadi, common

Actually, I think that's pretty solid. Though due to the similarity to the Gnome feature, I might stretch Magic Resistance to "Advantage on all STR, DEX, and CON saves vs Magic. I'd also say that if "at least 1 hit die was spent to heal" in the Regeneration description so it's clear it only happens once per short rest.

The Slaadi infection thing should probably be a plot thing rather than a mechanical one. I also think they need one more thing for flavor, not sure what it would be though. The changes are pretty crunch-heavy, I feel like there should be something to distinguish the Blue Slaad in a way that's not just being tougher.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-17, 11:01 AM
Actually, I think that's pretty solid. Though due to the similarity to the Gnome feature, I might stretch Magic Resistance to "Advantage on all STR, DEX, and CON saves vs Magic. I'd also say that if "at least 1 hit die was spent to heal" in the Regeneration description so it's clear it only happens once per short rest.

The Slaadi infection thing should probably be a plot thing rather than a mechanical one. I also think they need one more thing for flavor, not sure what it would be though. The changes are pretty crunch-heavy, I feel like there should be something to distinguish the Blue Slaad in a way that's not just being tougher.

Con +2

Medium, 30' move
Blind Sight 5' (some potent vision trick - Limbo is confusing)
Magic resistant (advantage on Int, Wis and Cha saves vs magic - or the 3 physical if you prefer? - the physical come up more and have 2 of the "good" saves so this is perhaps stronger)

Blue Slaad racial subype:
+1 Strength
Your unarmed strikes do 1d4 slashing damage
Soul infection (maybe as a feat?) - you can infect willing and incapacitated persons with an illness that "transforms them" (kills them and turns their corpse into..) over the next 3 months into red slaad. Your unarmed strikes that inflict damage also cause this infection unless the target makes a DC 10 Con save
"Tavern Brawer" feat allows you to do 1d8 damage with your unarmed strikes (slashing damage)

--------
I'd be arguing the infection this AUGHT to be a mechanic item (either a default trick of a feat). Slaadi "happening to" overrun the Prime - Chaos is infectious - is a serious aspect of their threat/background.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-03-17, 11:05 AM
Actually, I think that's pretty solid. Though due to the similarity to the Gnome feature, I might stretch Magic Resistance to "Advantage on all STR, DEX, and CON saves vs Magic.

I didn't want to give them STR CON and DEX since that would be two strong saves (CON and DEX) whereas gnomes only get 1 strong save, WIS. The INT and CHA saves the gnomes get are both minor in terms of how often they would come up.

WilsonUndead
2015-03-17, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, all that stuff is really helpful. A few questions;
Blue slaadi are large creatures, should/would that effect anything? I'm not trying to make an OP pc or anything but I'd like to try and stay true to the size of possible.
The infection thing I like, but yeah not so much the uncontrollable aspect of it. Maybe some way to incorporate it into some kind of special attack or something so it's optional? I would consider getting rid of it altogether but I'd feel guilty about that lol

kaoskonfety
2015-03-17, 01:03 PM
Missed the large part - ok, he's Large now
(pending DM approval, being big is pretty darn good, but not nuts)

Disease thing...
I'd go with "its a feat" then - just don't take it. but that's me.

"controllable" is interesting but basically "touch range low DC contagion at will" - really potent

Setting it DM controlled will REALLY vary depending on the DM.

"only on unarmed attacks" can also work - doubly so if you don't WANT to spread it but your unarmed attacks are quite good "don't run, I've hit you, I need to finish you off before you turn!!!"

Having your Red Slaad spawn be hostile to you could be hilarious as the DM....

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-03-17, 01:05 PM
Blue slaadi are large creatures, should/would that effect anything? I'm not trying to make an OP pc or anything but I'd like to try and stay true to the size of possible.
The infection thing I like, but yeah not so much the uncontrollable aspect of it. Maybe some way to incorporate it into some kind of special attack or something so it's optional? I would consider getting rid of it altogether but I'd feel guilty about that lol

There are currently no Large size PC races, so creating a balanced Large PC race is difficult with nothing to compare it to. The closest is the Goliath who can pretend to be large in highly specific situations.
The infection attack would likely have minor short-term mechanical effects, but possibly huge long term RP consequences, so it's something you'd need to hash out with the DM and how it would effect the campaign.

pwykersotz
2015-03-17, 01:06 PM

Large size would definitely affect gear and the availability thereof, but other than an increased carrying capacity it shouldn't be too broken. Keep in mind that the game is young still, and many exploits/shenanigans have yet to be found, but if you're not trying to be abusive, it's probably good.

For the infection, you could do something like:
Chaos Phage. When you reduce a humanoid opponent to 0hp with your claw attack, you may choose to knock them unconscious instead of killing them, as usual. If you do this, they must succeed on a DC10(spitballing the DC) Con save or be infected.

Now something like this is powerful and bizarre, and definitely keeps the flavor, but it's also potentially disruptive. Does anyone else have thoughts on this implementation?

kaoskonfety
2015-03-17, 01:15 PM
Now something like this is powerful and bizarre, and definitely keeps the flavor, but it's also potentially disruptive. Does anyone else have thoughts on this implementation?

I like the Low DC and the "condition" that you need to knock them out - the Slaad swarm is a threat but not "we are all screwed on day 2".

But the real question is what do we (the player) WANT - do we want the character a constant threat to themselves and others (the way I'd be pushing to run it BTW)? do we want then able to selectively infect others and make either minions or uncontrolled 'fires' of slaadi? Is it a potent power, a personal curse and burden or something in between?

WilsonUndead
2015-03-17, 01:27 PM
^^ I would say somewhere in between. He wouldn't necessarily want to spawn a horde of slaadi that might one day come for him, but doesn't have full control over it either, hence a curse. On the flip side, there might be certain people or reasons that he wants to inflict his curse on them. It's definitely an interesting mechanic.
As pwykersots (sorry sp lol) said about bringing hp to 0 with unarmed attack, maybe I don't get to choose if they are unconscious and infected, they just are, that gives me less control over it if I'm unarmed but also a little bit random?
Another question, and again I want opinions at the risk of not being abusive; would a large creature treat a two handed weapon as a one handed? Too much? I wouldn't want to do something like this and then end up dual wielding great axes lol!
Equipment was mentioned so that question came to me, I'm also not sure if I'll even want him to wear armour. Assuming he gets the natural armour?

kaoskonfety
2015-03-17, 01:49 PM
"Not quite a curse, but a curse"

DM controlled/ uncontrolled bit - anyone you leave alive following injuring contact *may* be infected - Low DC or no DC (dramatic villains and allies etc). Alive will/may include those reduced to zero who you do not confirm dead. Injured would include backhands and occasionally strikes that deal no damage (you hit the armor and broke the skin but no "damage"). For added fun have it also spread should someone injured be exposed to the infected remains or other vectors - you not knowing all the ways it might spread could be cool - if you are cool with it.

You controlled - extended exposure, bleeding onto open wounds, repeated cuts - basically taking 20 on them failing the save while they scream for mercy/ are unconscious. [G.L.A.D.O.S] You monster [/G.L.A.D.O.S]

For large I'm not sure what it "default" gives you - but for "balance concerns" I'd be hesitant for any significant upgrades a-la 2 handed weapons being one handed. Stick with the standard gear list, increase prices for "larger size" (double and triple cost are popular). Not sure about "natural reach" large creatures may get, or how big a bonus it would be, but "it does not stack with weapon reach" would seem a reasonable constraint. Flavour to taste - i.e, your hands are not particularly larger or stronger due to claws, you keep using polearms as quarterstaffs

Large mostly makes you harder to grapple (those grabbing you need to be a bit bigger), harder to push/bull rush (I think?) and some lift carry.

pwykersotz
2015-03-17, 01:58 PM
You probably wouldn't want to give them the Slaad natural armor for a PC race. That's starting to be a serious power gain. Your defenses are already pretty crazy, plus Barbarian or Monk will give you some nice AC without Armor if that's what you want.

Weapon rules aren't really so much released for Large creatures(that I can recall), more implied. I believe if you compare the weapons of the Large creatures in the Monster Manual with the same ones in the PHB, they add an extra die of damage. I would nix this, personally. Unless you're running a very high-power game, you're likely to overshadow your fellow players. I'd recommend it being run as just a mild inconvenience, needing to find a blacksmith to refit any gear you find with no other benefits or penalties.

The game also doesn't really support wielding smaller weapons. I'm not really the person to ask on the weapon side of things though. There are people on this board that have a LOT more experience/skill modifying those.

WilsonUndead
2015-03-17, 02:22 PM
Ok the weapon thing is fine, as I said I don't want to outshine the other players. I knew there was some kind of thing about size regarding weapon, the cost for refitting, thanks for reminding me.
I also just read the carrying capacity part and how it relates to size, so yeah that's a nice bonus lol.
As for the armour, I will be using barbarian so that's also fine not using the natural armour.