PDA

View Full Version : Disney prove they arent that bad: to release original Star Wars in blue ray

Cikomyr
2015-03-17, 10:19 AM
According to www.comicbook.com anyway!!

Proof that a souless corporation is more in synch with its fans than George Lucas.

Yora
2015-03-17, 10:31 AM
But what about DVD?

Cikomyr
2015-03-17, 11:03 AM
They wont support outdated media :-P

Its the original version of the original trilogy!!! Oh yhea!!!

Legato Endless
2015-03-17, 11:21 AM
I don't think is true tragically.

Fox still owns distribution for the first trilogy, in perpetuity for episode 4. Any release would have to be a joint agreement between the two, and there hasn't been any confirmation of this on either side. Notwithstanding this rumor has been circulating for months now.

It's definitely a possibility, especially in the wake of 7, and there's no doubt this would be a huge success for both companies barring unforseen expenses, but there doesn't appear to be anyone with any influence pushing for this currently.

DigoDragon
2015-03-17, 11:21 AM
They wont support outdated media

I remember the day this happened to cassette tapes thanks to CDs. And now here I am realizing I'll have to buy a bluray player on my birthday this year.
The price of technological advancement. :3

BWR
2015-03-17, 11:23 AM
The first good news to come out of the purchase.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-03-17, 11:28 AM
I remember the day this happened to cassette tapes thanks to CDs. And now here I am realizing I'll have to buy a bluray player on my birthday this year.
The price of technological advancement. :3
It's alright, PS3s aren't that expensive. And they play games too.

Talya
2015-03-17, 11:31 AM
The first good news to come out of the purchase.

Are you kidding? Just about everything about the purchase has been good news.

DigoDragon
2015-03-17, 12:04 PM
It's alright, PS3s aren't that expensive. And they play games too.

True, but there aren't any games I really want to play on the PS3. :smallsmile:

Funny thing is that I do own two Blueray movies despite having no player. I don't own any of the Star Wars movies though, so this could be something to get. XD

The Grue
2015-03-17, 01:00 PM
Its the original version of the original trilogy!!! Oh yhea!!!

As in the original, Han-Shot-First cut? :D

Cikomyr
2015-03-17, 01:06 PM

Thats what i heard!!!

Eat Bantha Fodder, Lucas!!

BWR
2015-03-17, 01:30 PM

We'll have to disagree about that.
The new trailer? I'm not impressed.
Kicking Dark Horse and giving the comics to Marvel? Need I remind people what happened the last time Marvel wrote SW comics?
Getting rid of the EU? Sure there was a lot of stupid there but also a lot of good. So far this is about neutral but the final verdict depends on what they choose to re-adopt.
Cancelling Clone Wars? Ok, it wasn't great but it had some good arcs along with the bad stuff. Rebels is ****.

Talya
2015-03-17, 01:51 PM
We'll have to disagree about that.
The new trailer? I'm not impressed.

It's a teaser. I never expect much from teasers.

Kicking Dark Horse and giving the comics to Marvel? Need I remind people what happened the last time Marvel wrote SW comics?
Getting rid of the EU? Sure there was a lot of stupid there but also a lot of good. So far this is about neutral but the final verdict depends on what they choose to re-adopt.

Very little good was coming out of either Dark Horse or the rest of the EU. If you're a fan of those things, that would suck. But it needs to be done to continue the series in a sensible fashion. It didn't make sense for Disney to continue licensing to Dark Horse when they own Marvel outright.

Cancelling Clone Wars? Ok, it wasn't great but it had some good arcs along with the bad stuff. Rebels is ****.

Clone wars was good. Rebels is amazingawesomeperfect.

As I put it elsewhere...

Disney understands the Star Wars I grew up with.

I don't know how to explain it better than that. While far better written than Lucas's shoddy prequel trilogy, the Clone Wars series clearly took its inspiration and feel from those movies. With Rebels, I sense something; a presence I've not felt since... well, a long time ago, in a lifetime far, far away. Rebels takes me back to when the original trilogy was new to me, rather than being an improved take on the ****e Lucas tried to foist on us over the last 15 years. It fills me with a new hope for the next movie.

Cikomyr
2015-03-17, 02:15 PM
Beside wiping the EU (which may or may not be a good thing - lots of **** in there ), I dont see what Disney did so bad with the Franchise.

Marvel is a fine publishing company, as long as we keep death threats against Quesada alive.

The Glyphstone
2015-03-17, 02:18 PM
And what was wrong with Marvel Star Wars, anyways? It was the first Star Wars comic series (before Dark Horse got the license), and years before my time - '77 to '86 according to Wookipedia, but that also says it was a huge financial success that some Marvel insiders credit with saving them from bankruptcy. They're effectively non-canon, written before continuity was considered to be an important thing, but that shouldn't be held against them.

Metahuman1
2015-03-17, 03:11 PM
Beside wiping the EU (which may or may not be a good thing - lots of **** in there ), I dont see what Disney did so bad with the Franchise.

Marvel is a fine publishing company, as long as we keep death threats against Quesada alive.

You realize he's been able to act with impunity so far in spite of those, right? Just, checking.

And Disney brought freaking J.J. Abrams in to do Star Wars. I think the teaser has the footage it has cause out of a Two Hour + movie, that's the only footage you can see through the Linse Flair. (I saw Star Trek Into Darkness. I had to chain myself to a chair for over 2 hours to be able to make that claim. I have precisely 0 Confidence in Mr. Abrams not to make Jar Jar look like the most brilliant thing the franchise ever produced by comparison to anything he's TOUCHED in the franchise.)

Talya: And as far as wiping the EU being a good thing, by that logic, DC's reboots are the absolute greatest thing in entertainment and no one should ever, ever, ever, every criticize them in anyway for it. It's the exact same thing after all.

hamishspence
2015-03-17, 03:18 PM
And what was wrong with Marvel Star Wars, anyways? It was the first Star Wars comic series (before Dark Horse got the license), and years before my time - '77 to '86 according to Wookipedia, but that also says it was a huge financial success that some Marvel insiders credit with saving them from bankruptcy. They're effectively non-canon, written before continuity was considered to be an important thing, but that shouldn't be held against them.

Before the Legends announcement, quite a lot of EU was referencing Marvel Star Wars. And even now, long after that announcement, content related to it still comes out.
A short story was recently released, after a long time in limbo - Skyewalkers:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SkyeWalkers%3A_A_Clone_Wars_Story

about Kharys - a Marvel SW villain - and how, during the Clone Wars, her planet was saved by Obi-Wan and his two Padawans - one of which was Vader, and the other of which carried the lightsaber Luke was using pre-TESB.

Talya
2015-03-17, 03:32 PM
Talya: And as far as wiping the EU being a good thing, by that logic, DC's reboots are the absolute greatest thing in entertainment and no one should ever, ever, ever, every criticize them in anyway for it. It's the exact same thing after all.

Well, not entirely.
There's a major difference:
Star Wars is a series of movies. As much as some of us wanted star wars everywhere, ultimately, only the movies ever really "counted." Oh, Lucas didn't care when there was nothing for them to conflict with, but the moment he released the god-awful prequel trilogy, it was immediately evident that when it came to making more movies, nothing that was written in any EU medium mattered. Disney isn't the first at ignoring the EU when it came to more movies... Lucas set the stage in 1999 by utterly destroying much of the EU continuity with the prequel movies. Now, the EU was mostly written to happen after the original trilogy, so only those things that touched on topics like The Clone Wars were invalidated, but invalidated they were. The problem with the EU when it comes to making sequels to Star Wars, is there's no room for more stories in there...it's a convoluted mess of bad storytelling right from Timothy Zahn and beyond. And so, learning from Lucas, Disney is doing the right thing - they're ignoring the secondary materials that were never much more than commercialized fan fiction to start with.

Compared to DC, where the comic medium they were invalidating was their primary story source, this is a major difference. Not that I fault DC for wanting a clean slate (comics need them once in a while) - I only fault DC for some of their choices when it comes to wiping the slate clean. (ie. Barry Allen isn't half as interesting as Wally West was.)

I give Disney credit for keeping small parts of the EU intact, officially. I believe they will do a better job of holding to canon they establish than Lucas ever did (Lucas couldn't even hold to his movie canon). The fact that they've stated the distant old republic era, as well as the Clone Wars cartoons (which wasn't cancelled on a cliffhanger, but rather completed) are part of the canon means that, unlike Lucas (eg. Greedo shooting first, Padme dying in childbirth), they will not violate that canon.

Star Wars fans are going to have to get used to novels no longer being canon unless directly stated by the studio. I think they can survive. Star Trek fans have been used to that from the very beginning.

hamishspence
2015-03-17, 03:37 PM
They're also creating their own big EU though - quite a few books and comics already, with more to come.

Star Wars fans are going to have to get used to novels no longer being canon unless directly stated by the studio.

It's the other way round - SW fans are going to have to get used to "all new Disney canon novels and comics" being "on the same level" as the movies.

Yora
2015-03-17, 03:48 PM
I think of it more as "The new movies take place in an alternate timeline like the Star Trek reboot". It's not the first. I think there was a timeline where Luke is dead and Leia joins the Sith.

"George Lucas saves Star Wars by firing George Lucas!"

Porthos
2015-03-17, 03:48 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to say it: Which original cut? :smalltongue:

You'd think this is a joke, but, sadly.... :smallwink:

Cikomyr
2015-03-17, 03:53 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to say it: Which original cut? :smalltongue:

You'd think this is a joke, but, sadly.... :smallwink:

The only retcon i accept is changing the title from "Star Wars" to "Episode IV: A New Hope"

Porthos
2015-03-17, 03:56 PM
But what about DVD?

It already came out on DVD*. If they release it again, won't there be cries of "double dipping"?

* Yes I know. Trust me, I KNOW. But that just proves that releasing a "original cut" that satisfies everyone is almost impossible, dunnit? :smallwink:

====

The only retcon i accept is changing the title from "Star Wars" to "Episode IV: A New Hope"

And will you accept "cleaning up" the raft of special effect errors that people clamor to be fixed each and every time the films get released on media?

Remixing the sound to modern standards?

Finally getting rid of those effin' slugs? :smalltongue:

These are, as I said, sadly not academic questions in the Broken Base that is SW fandom. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2015-03-17, 03:56 PM
I think of it more as "The new movies take place in an alternate timeline like the Star Trek reboot". It's not the first. I think there was a timeline where Luke is dead and Leia joins the Sith.

There were 3 different comics, "Infinities" all forking off from the movie timeline at different points.

"Leia joins the Sith" was the ANH one.

"Luke is dead" was the TESB one.

Rodin
2015-03-17, 04:03 PM
They already released it on Blu-Ray, no?

*checks DVD rack*

Yup. DVD/Blu-ray combination. Granted, it's the "Greedo shot first" cut, but still.

I'll believe any rumors of a "original cut" when I actually see the darn thing on the market.

Porthos
2015-03-17, 04:06 PM
Proof that a souless corporation is more in synch with its fans than George Lucas.

As an aside, can I ask a hopefuly not rhetorical question?

When are "us fans" going to let it go* when it comes to all of the Lucas bashing? I mean, OK, the prequels weren't the greatest thing ever. Point taken.

It's been ten years though. We're coming up on almost twenty years since the special editions. Sooner or later aren't we all supposed to hug and make up? :smallcool:

* Pun intended? I'll let others decide. :smallwink:

Talya
2015-03-17, 04:15 PM
a souless corporation is more in synch with its fans than George Lucas.

I didn't touch this earlier. I have two separate comments about this statement.

(1) If any megacorp has "a soul," it's Disney. Few companies can claim to be as true to the ideals of a founder that died almost 50 years ago as they can. I can go on at length about how Disney is, in so many ways, fundamentally the same company with the same goals and ideals that Walt had. It's almost like Walt's soul (if there were such a thing) was still there running the show. Which isn't to say that they're perfect, either...I have issues with some things they've done. But overall, this is still Walt's company.
--Corollary 1a. - But I'm a soulless ginger. What would I know?
--Corollary 1b. - Maybe I should steal Walt's soul from Disney, for kicks. After all, I'm an evil soulstealing ginger.

(2) George Lucas is an prima-donna artist (and not a very good one, at that), and doesn't give two turds about the fans of what he created. Disney, on the other hand, hires artists who will make their target audience happy enough to give them money. So this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Soras Teva Gee
2015-03-17, 04:26 PM
Can I get a real source on this? Because http://www.comicbook.com/ is NOT reporting it in any way obvious and google news is NOT getting me verification via wide reporting, and searching for "original trilogy blu ray" gets me old rumors without recent article dates.

So at present there is no news here.

TheThan
2015-03-17, 06:52 PM

What do you mean Han Shot first? this implies that there was more than one shot being fired. What really happened is that Han simply shot Greedo, there was no shooting first, or second or anything like that, there was one shot, one dead Greedo.

Cikomyr
2015-03-17, 08:17 PM
Can I get a real source on this? Because http://www.comicbook.com/ is NOT reporting it in any way obvious and google news is NOT getting me verification via wide reporting, and searching for "original trilogy blu ray" gets me old rumors without recent article dates.

So at present there is no news here.

I sadly have to sort of agree with you there. I may have jumped the gun...

Maybe... :(

Hyena
2015-03-17, 11:23 PM
I won't believe it until I actually see it. Until then, I'm watching Star Wars Despecialized Edition made by the fans.

BWR
2015-03-18, 03:50 AM
*snip*..

As I said, we shall have to disagree. On almost all points.

snowblizz
2015-03-18, 04:43 AM
They're also creating their own big EU though - quite a few books and comics already, with more to come.

It's the other way round - SW fans are going to have to get used to "all new Disney canon novels and comics" being "on the same level" as the movies.

Star Wars and Donald Duck comics combines! And I am not even kidding. It used to be Italian writers spoofing SW in various degrees, now there's an official Donald Duck and nephews meets Star Wars ongoing story. Huey, Dewey and Louie are each 1/3:s jedis-in-training ("three there are, where only one there should be) under a duck-billed Yoda.
I have some reservations. And I'm not exactly what one would call a SW fan.

Talya
2015-03-18, 06:32 AM
Star Wars and Donald Duck comics combines! And I am not even kidding. It used to be Italian writers spoofing SW in various degrees, now there's an official Donald Duck and nephews meets Star Wars ongoing story. Huey, Dewey and Louie are each 1/3:s jedis-in-training ("three there are, where only one there should be) under a duck-billed Yoda.
I have some reservations. And I'm not exactly what one would call a SW fan.

Disney does that type of thing in its parks. They do it in unofficial kids books and such. They create fun merchandise with this style.

They do not mess with the canon of their purchased IP like that... just as Mickey will not play a role in The Avengers franchise, you will not find Yoda Duck in a Star Wars movie.

Hyena
2015-03-18, 07:39 AM
Family Guy had Star Wars episodes too, doesn't make them canonic.

Mando Knight
2015-03-18, 08:11 AM

35mm Dolby Stereo or 70mm 6-track? Or do you prefer the mono mix?

More importantly, 70mm ESB or 35mm?

Wardog
2015-03-23, 06:30 PM
As an aside, can I ask a hopefuly not rhetorical question?

When are "us fans" going to let it go* when it comes to all of the Lucas bashing? I mean, OK, the prequels weren't the greatest thing ever. Point taken.

It's been ten years though. We're coming up on almost twenty years since the special editions. Sooner or later aren't we all supposed to hug and make up? :smallcool::

When he really does allow the release of the original non-special-edition versions.

I'm not a fan of the prequals. That's fine - I can simply not watch them, and get on with my life as though they never existed.

But because of the mess he made of the Special Editions, I can no longer enjoy the films I grew up with, because they no longer exist.

Porthos
2015-03-23, 07:14 PM
When he really does allow the release of the original non-special-edition versions.

But he DID. OK, they weren't anamorphic DVDs, but they were still released. You can get them on Amazon right this moment. Right now. Just a mouse click away and everything.

You want it? Go get it. (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-IV-Hope-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW/) There. Done. :smallsmile:

As for the comments about the Special Editions, that has gotten SO friggin' overblown. I remember what happened when they were released. They went over extremely well. In fact, I'd say the Special Editions are, with the sole exception of the revised music number in RotJ, better.

Yeah, yeah. Han shot first. What. Ever. Seriously. OK, I'd prefer it as it was originally. But to act like it's a huge crime against cinema is just....

Well, let's just say that I am of the opinion that the supposed backlash to the Special Editions didn't truly occur until Phantom Meance was released. THEN the floodgates opened. Well, amongst the people who are the noisest about it that is. :smallwink:

Reddish Mage
2015-03-23, 07:41 PM
As for the comments about the Special Editions, that has gotten SO friggin' overblown. I remember what happened when they were released. They went over extremely well. In fact, I'd say the Special Editions are, with the sole exception of the revised music number in RotJ, better.

Yeah, yeah. Han shot first. What. Ever. Seriously. OK, I'd prefer it the other way. But to act like it's a huge crime against cinema is just....

Except the special edition mostly just adds extra background elements, extra shots (as in brief movie clips from other angles, but those other things too), and other incidentals.

I cannot remember a single additional scene that really changed the movies in a noticeable, memorable and positive way. I do remember plenty of scenes that adversely affected the movie.

1. Screen Clutter - We get a whole lot of extra aliens in the Catina, Mos Eisley and whatever that silly thing the Stormtrooper was riding. This was the most noticeable of the changes and it didn't make Star Wars feel more immersive, special, or exciting, the things that made Star Wars so good. The background clutter just made it distracting.

2. Less Logical - Han Solo waits for the bounty hunter to shoot...because why? More TIE fighters means the escape from the Death Star becomes less believable followed by the comment about "they let us escape too easily" becoming quite curious. Finally, the three stormtroopers that regroup and go after Luke turn into hundreds so tightly together its a wonder they could even fit, and apparently they couldn't run, since we don't see such a tight formation of stormtroopers ever again!

3. Change the Mood- the original Star Wars appears gritty, dirty, full of dinged and scratched up metal and plastic and stuff that looks and feels like it is in a universe that is well worn and well lived. All the CGI effects are pristinely clean, and it actually makes the movie appear less real and more like a magazine cover.

Cikomyr
2015-03-23, 07:52 PM
The entire point of moviemaking is telling all you can in a tightly made scene. That scene may or may not include dialogue, and include dozens of details from the script, the actor's performance, the set, the lighting, the shot, the sound.

There is a reason "show, dont tell" is a golden rule of cinema.

If you had to draw characterization from Han's initial "shot first" scene, what would it be?

Now, if you have to draw characterization of someone who not only waits for the other man to shoot him, but can also dodge a point-blank laser shot, what is it?

Porthos
2015-03-23, 08:24 PM
Now, if you have to draw characterization of someone who not only waits for the other man to shoot him, but can also dodge a point-blank laser shot, what is it?

Trust me, I've heard this argument many many many times before. This isn't my first trip to the rodeo, after all. :smallsmile:

I. Just. Don't. Care. (Enough.) About. That. Scene. :smallsmile:

It's a minor irk at most if I think about it. In fact, it was a minor irk for most people at most, near as I can tell. The whole "Han Shot First" movement didn't get real legs for a long time. It certainly wasn't the cause célèbre that it eventually turned out to be, back in the day. Ultimately it's a minor change in the movie that doesn't even come close to warranting all of the angst over it.*

* Well, besides the fact that the Han Shot First thing really is a proxy argument for all of the SE. At least then it becomes a tad more understandable. Still overblown, mind. But at least understandable. :smallwink:

When it comes to the "crimes" of the Special Editions, the revamped music scene in Jabba's Palace in RotJ is far worse. Probably because it goes on so long, compared to the blink-and-you'll-miss-it change of Solo and Greedo.

Again, would it be better if it wasn't like that? Sure. Is it a huge enough deal to continue to evoke rage storms nearly TWENTY YEARS after the fact? Goodness gracious, no. Not in my opinion at least. :smallsmile:

Traab
2015-03-23, 08:31 PM
Except the special edition mostly just adds extra background elements, extra shots (as in brief movie clips from other angles, but those other things too), and other incidentals.

I cannot remember a single additional scene that really changed the movies in a noticeable, memorable and positive way. I do remember plenty of scenes that adversely affected the movie.

1. Screen Clutter - We get a whole lot of extra aliens in the Catina, Mos Eisley and whatever that silly thing the Stormtrooper was riding. This was the most noticeable of the changes and it didn't make Star Wars feel more immersive, special, or exciting, the things that made Star Wars so good. The background clutter just made it distracting.

2. Less Logical - Han Solo waits for the bounty hunter to shoot...because why? More TIE fighters means the escape from the Death Star becomes less believable followed by the comment about "they let us escape too easily" becoming quite curious. Finally, the three stormtroopers that regroup and go after Luke turn into hundreds so tightly together its a wonder they could even fit, and apparently they couldn't run, since we don't see such a tight formation of stormtroopers ever again!

3. Change the Mood- the original Star Wars appears gritty, dirty, full of dinged and scratched up metal and plastic and stuff that looks and feels like it is in a universe that is well worn and well lived. All the CGI effects are pristinely clean, and it actually makes the movie appear less real and more like a magazine cover.

4) Han treads on Jabba. Seriously, wtf? He literally steps on jabba while arguing with him outside his ship. The big evil scary crime boss and Han treats him like he isnt a big deal at all, right to his face.

5) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Porthos
2015-03-23, 08:44 PM
5) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That, technically, wasn't in the Special Edition. That was in the re-re-re-release of the films. Or however many "re-"'s it actually turned out to be. :smalltongue:

(I might note I have said nothing about the tinkering that's been done on the Blu Rays. That may or may not be intentional. :smallwink:)

TheThan
2015-03-24, 02:54 AM
The changes they made to A new Hope were the worst of the changes. They did do a few positive changes here and there, but there’s far more negative changes made on the overall.

Nice things:
1: “Look sir, droids” scene: really nicely done, the dewbacks actually look like gigantic lizards rather than rocks; the sentinel class landing craft taking off is also good. it’s just cleaned up and looks better.

2: Luke and biggs scene, originally cut for time this adds another layer to basically a background layer. Luke mentioned Biggs back near the beginning but it’s a blink-and-you-miss it line so its not surprising that most people don’t seem to realize that the guy with the moustache is Luke’s friend. So his sacrifice to give Luke the shot at the death star is much more meaningful.

3: general cleanup of the film. the movie looks much more clearer and has generally better sound (except for the bleeps and bloops in the falcon’s cockpit after the deathstar escape… wtf?

Not so nice thing:
1: artificially inserted CGI. The Mos Eisley travel scene is probably the best example; when Luke and Obi-Wan drive into the city you get the feeling that it’s a leisurely drive through a sleepy desert town. Makes sense, it’s hot and all. But the special edition turns that scene into a special effects extravaganza. It has gigantic alien animal, ships taking off in the background, annoying little droids buzzing around, it’s just too busy and has all this extra crap that is not needed thrown in. it’s distracting and unnecessary.

2: replacing aliens.
You know, they had to pay people to build and wear those costumes. And Lucas decided to simply erase their performances from the film, even if it’s just a guy sitting at the bar, they actually removed them and replaced them with CGI alien heads. Really? Lucas? Really?

3: the Jabba/han scene
Ok this one is totally, and I mean TOTALLY unnecessary. Every single shred of information we are told in the Jabba scene we literally just learned in the greedo scene. People can freakin’ read Lucas, we don’t need to be told that Han owes jabba a lot of money twice in the span of less than ten minutes, we already know it. The CGI on Jabba was just horrible, I mean bad for the time. I’ve seen kids make better cgi on their home computers. Lastly, revealing what Jabba is, he spoils the big reveal in episode VI about what jabba is. I mean we spend 2 movies hearing about how Han owes jabba a lot of money and he needs to pay him off. Then when we see him, we find gigantic slug monster, awesome! but by revealing what jabba is, it spoils that moment.

Take it or leave it:
1: deathstar battle finale
The finale is stretched out with more acrobatic albeit CGI ships, they look good. some may not like it; others may like it.

2: shockwaves
when Alderaan is destroyed in the original there is a big explosion and then just debre, in the special edition there's a huge shockwave. same thing when the deathstar explodes, some like it, some don't take your

brionl
2015-03-24, 01:20 PM
I actually liked or was at least neutral about the changes that Lucas made in the original "Special Edition". But the man just wouldn't leave well enough alone, he kept fiddling and fiddling. And the "Han sits there and waits for Greedo to take a pot shot and miss and doesn't even try to dodge" was the final nail in the coffin that turned me into a rabid anti-Lucas fanatic.

It didn't become a big deal "for years" because it wasn't in the film until fairly recently. When that abomination was crapped into the film though, it was a huge deal, immediately.

Traab
2015-03-24, 01:33 PM
Even that one didnt bother me that much. Too be clear, i dont really object to the special editions too much. There are just a couple parts I didnt like. Even the han solo thing could be passed off as, "He is so nonchalant about facing death he even gives his bounty hunter a free shot before busting a cap in his ass." The Jabba scene ticked me off big time though. He was supposed to be this big time crime boss. Scary, huge, nasty. Instead he is oozing around chatting with a guy that owes him big bucks, letting han solo STEP ON HIM, and then saying, "Ok sure, you can leave the planet. You know, the place where my level of control is near total. Just promise to come back with my money."

Talya
2015-03-25, 11:49 AM
It's true that most fan backlash about the special editions didn't hit a crescendo until after The Phantom Menace came out. However, you can find plenty of people predicting, based on changes to the originals in the Special Editions, that TPM was going to be crap. The Special Editions did not make the original good movies into garbage...but the changes didn't always seem to fit the style...they felt tacked on and unnecessary and out of place. With hindsight, it is easy for the rest of us to look back at them after the prequel trilogy came out and spot the trends that caused Lucas to fail so miserably with the prequels. This is why there's a fair amount of vitriol for them.

Wardog
2015-03-28, 06:04 AM
Even that one didnt bother me that much. Too be clear, i dont really object to the special editions too much. There are just a couple parts I didnt like. Even the han solo thing could be passed off as, "He is so nonchalant about facing death he even gives his bounty hunter a free shot before busting a cap in his ass." The Jabba scene ticked me off big time though. He was supposed to be this big time crime boss. Scary, huge, nasty. Instead he is oozing around chatting with a guy that owes him big bucks, letting han solo STEP ON HIM, and then saying, "Ok sure, you can leave the planet. You know, the place where my level of control is near total. Just promise to come back with my money."

Also, in the original version, we get to hear Solo bragging to Ben and Luke about how great the Falcon is. Then when they (and we) finally get to see it, it turns out to be (apparently) a heap of junk.

By putting in the Jabba scene, we lose the impact of seeing the Falcon for the first time (as well as breaking up the flow of the story).

But he DID. OK, they weren't anamorphic DVDs, but they were still released. You can get them on Amazon right this moment. Right now. Just a mouse click away and everything.

You want it? Go get it. (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-IV-Hope-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW/) There. Done. :smallsmile:

Thanks - I didn't know that - everything I'd heard said they were not available (barring old VHS tapes and pirate copies). Bought it now.

Rodin
2015-03-28, 08:24 AM
Speaking as someone who just watched the special edition after 10 years+ of not watching the movies at all, the only scenes that actually bothered me were the entrance to Mos Eisely and the dance scene in Jabba's palace. Both were full of glaringly obvious CGI and not very well done CGI at that. The Han shot first scene really didn't detract - yes, it's objectively superior in the original, but it's barely noticeable in the re-done one and I didn't think very much about it other than a brief chuckle. The Jabba scene I was honestly questioning whether it was in the original or not. All the other CGI changes were like that - I looked at it and thought "Well....maybe...." I'm sure I mistook some practical effects in there as well.

Porthos
2015-03-29, 02:03 AM
Thanks - I didn't know that - everything I'd heard said they were not available (barring old VHS tapes and pirate copies). Bought it now.

Since, as I previously mentioned, the DVDs were not anamorphic, didn't have a remixed soundtrack and weren't "cleaned up"/"restored" prints, quite a few of the vocal fans out there disowned them. Also, techincally, it's Out of Print, so that could be where some of the chatter came from. But there were so many of the blessed things printed that it can usually be found on Amazon, eBay, and various other retailers out there, still in new condition.

Now while not being anamoprhic can be irksome, I watch almost everything on computer monitors anyway. So the slightly different level of black bars means very little to me in practice. :smallsmile:

Reddish Mage
2015-03-29, 10:39 AM
It's a minor irk at most if I think about it. In fact, it was a minor irk for most people at most, near as I can tell. The whole "Han Shot First" movement didn't get real legs for a long time. It certainly wasn't the cause célèbre that it eventually turned out to be, back in the day. Ultimately it's a minor change in the movie that doesn't even come close to warranting all of the angst over it.*:

I seem to recall that this was the main beef the critics and fans had as soon as Special Edition: Episode IV was released in theaters. It also was the one change that had staying power it was...as someone put it

the Han Shot First thing really is a proxy argument for all of the SE.

I think there is a reason why...specifically!...Han Shot First, became the fandoms meme:

It was a very memorable scene, in the original, because its something good guys don't do, and it drives home the sort of person Han Solo is. Here's a guy who just straight up shoots a guy in cold blood, and his only comment is "sorry about the mess."

None of the other changes, regardless of the CGI quality or length of the change, really has the same substantial effect on the narrative, on someone's character, as this one.

In other news, George Lucas has said he would like to take out the scene where Indiana Jones shoots Fancy Sword guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

When it comes to the "crimes" of the Special Editions, the revamped music scene in Jabba's Palace in RotJ is far worse. Probably because it goes on so long, compared to the blink-and-you'll-miss-it change of Solo and Greedo.

Yeah...that's...missing...the...point.

4) Han treads on Jabba. Seriously, wtf? He literally steps on jabba while arguing with him outside his ship. The big evil scary crime boss and Han treats him like he isnt a big deal at all, right to his face.

This scene my friend claimed was the worst when we saw New Hope. That whole added scene was unnecessary, we get all information of who Han Solo is and why he is on the run, from Greedo before he gets shot (first!). It ruins the experience of finally seeing what Jabba looks like in Return of the Jedi, where they do a big reveal regardless. Honestly, I don't even remember the Special Editions changes to Jabba's Palace. This one however, sticks out like a sore tail.

It's true that most fan backlash about the special editions didn't hit a crescendo until after The Phantom Menace came out. However, you can find plenty of people predicting, based on changes to the originals in the Special Editions, that TPM was going to be crap. The Special Editions did not make the original good movies into garbage...but the changes didn't always seem to fit the style...they felt tacked on and unnecessary and out of place. With hindsight, it is easy for the rest of us to look back at them after the prequel trilogy came out and spot the trends that caused Lucas to fail so miserably with the prequels. This is why there's a fair amount of vitriol for them.

Again, I don't recall the criticism of "The Phantom Menace" having to do with who shot who when decades later in a Catina. "The Phantom Menace" has its own meme:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111208042120/starwars/images/4/42/JarJarHS-SWE.jpg

Traab
2015-03-29, 11:11 AM
I seem to recall that this was the main beef the critics and fans had as soon as Special Edition: Episode IV was released in theaters. It also was the one change that had staying power it was...as someone put it

I think there is a reason why...specifically!...Han Shot First, became the fandoms meme:

It was a very memorable scene, in the original, because its something good guys don't do, and it drives home the sort of person Han Solo is. Here's a guy who just straight up shoots a guy in cold blood, and his only comment is "sorry about the mess."

None of the other changes, regardless of the CGI quality or length of the change, really has the same substantial effect on the narrative, on someone's character, as this one.

In other news, George Lucas has said he would like to take out the scene where Indiana Jones shoots Fancy Sword guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

Yeah...that's...missing...the...point.

This scene my friend claimed was the worst when we saw New Hope. That whole added scene was unnecessary, we get all information of who Han Solo is and why he is on the run, from Greedo before he gets shot (first!). It ruins the experience of finally seeing what Jabba looks like in Return of the Jedi, where they do a big reveal regardless. Honestly, I don't even remember the Special Editions changes to Jabba's Palace. This one however, sticks out like a sore tail.

Again, I don't recall the criticism of "The Phantom Menace" having to do with who shot who when decades later in a Catina. "The Phantom Menace" has its own meme:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111208042120/starwars/images/4/42/JarJarHS-SWE.jpg

Alternately,

http://i.imgur.com/Wa0aljF.jpg

Hyena
2015-03-29, 02:26 PM
Jar Jar Binks is not the biggest problem with the prequels, not by far.

Traab
2015-03-29, 02:40 PM
And mickey mouse isnt the sole thing good about disney, yet he is still their flagship icon. :smalltongue:

Porthos
2015-03-30, 12:47 AM

Boss Nass, for instance, was FAR worse. :smallwink:

Ugh, seriously. He is my irrational rage button when it comes to TPM.

Balain
2015-03-30, 01:00 AM
But what about DVD?

There actually was a version of the original releases on dvd. A two disc set the first disc was the changed movie the special features disc had the original release.

Legato Endless
2015-03-31, 08:25 PM

Wait, seriously?

Traab
2015-03-31, 09:29 PM
Im pretty sure that lucas is trolling his fans by taking all his works and gutting them of as many iconic moments as he can. I fully expect marion or whatever the hard drinking chick is called, to be replaced by the human screech machine and short round from temple.

Reddish Mage
2015-03-31, 09:42 PM

He was, however, the most annoying.

Boss Nass, for instance, was FAR worse. :smallwink:

Boss Who now?

Wait, seriously?

Seriously.

Alent
2015-03-31, 11:06 PM
Wait, seriously?

I haven't heard this, but it makes sense... Remember that Harrison Ford changed the scene when they were doing the stunt choreography and he asked "I have a gun, why don't I just shoot him?" and Lucas' original whip vs sword scene went out the window.