PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Beguiler Gish

Allianis
2015-03-17, 10:33 AM
Ok, so in making a beguiler, I was thinking of taking it in a different direction than most everyone else goes with the class.

I wanted to start with Precocious Apprentice (feat) and Battle Caster (feat). This lets me get the improved AC when it matters most and that 2nd level spell will really help in the beginning. It also opens up 2nd level for Advanced Learning.

Although going pure beguiler is pretty good, I did want to take a 2-level dip in Unseen Seer to get their Advanced Learning and get Hunter's Eye (spell) by level 7, and then get Shadow Conjuration at level 9.

I can then spend my level 3, 6, and 9 feats on combat expertise, improved trip, and (maybe) improved feint.

It's not the most optimal fighter type, but it doesn't get in the way of the spell casting, and let's me play a decent backup to our tank. My question is how can I improve the melee portion of this build, because it just feels like I can make it a lot better.

Albions_Angel
2015-03-17, 11:03 AM
I would go Knowledge Devotion at either 3rd or 6th, and ditch improved feint. Playing a duskblade right now (gish in a bottle right there) with combat expertise (lvl 1 feat) and knowledge devotion with a guisarm. Even when I dont channel a spell, I am hitting like a truck and nothing gets close to me. Make sure your dex is high because AoO are great. At low levels you will do exactly what a duskblade does (they dont channel til level 3), which is colour spray, coup de grace. I forget what beguilers use for casting, but my duskblade had at level one

Human
16 Str
14 Dex
13 Con
15 Int (primary casting stat and soooo much knowledge devotion synergy)
12 Wis
11 Cha (because who needs looks when you have a guisarm!)

Feats: Power Attack (bonus feat), Combat Expertise, then at level 3 Knowledge Devotion, and pump Int at level 4.

14 Dex is all you really need if your friends form a spear wall with you. Aint nothing getting past that.

Allianis
2015-03-17, 12:40 PM
I would go Knowledge Devotion at either 3rd or 6th, and ditch improved feint. Playing a duskblade right now (gish in a bottle right there) with combat expertise (lvl 1 feat) and knowledge devotion with a guisarm. Even when I dont channel a spell, I am hitting like a truck and nothing gets close to me. Make sure your dex is high because AoO are great. At low levels you will do exactly what a duskblade does (they dont channel til level 3), which is colour spray, coup de grace. I forget what beguilers use for casting, but my duskblade had at level one

Human
16 Str
14 Dex
13 Con
15 Int (primary casting stat and soooo much knowledge devotion synergy)
12 Wis
11 Cha (because who needs looks when you have a guisarm!)

Feats: Power Attack (bonus feat), Combat Expertise, then at level 3 Knowledge Devotion, and pump Int at level 4.

14 Dex is all you really need if your friends form a spear wall with you. Aint nothing getting past that.

I hadn't thought about knowledge devotion. That would work great! If I'm going that route, what do you think about arcane strike? Is it worth the feat, maybe taking combat expertise at 6 and arcane strike at 9?

Albions_Angel
2015-03-17, 01:17 PM
Arcane strike could be useful. What would you be sacrificing? I guess if you are fighting mindless creatures it would be good. You can then use those spells that otherwise wont do anything.

I would get combat expertise before knowledge devotion. I know it sucks to not be able to get that +2/3 attack and damage but being able to strike multiple enemies is better IMHO.

Allianis
2015-03-17, 01:34 PM
Arcane strike could be useful. What would you be sacrificing? I guess if you are fighting mindless creatures it would be good. You can then use those spells that otherwise wont do anything.

I would get combat expertise before knowledge devotion. I know it sucks to not be able to get that +2/3 attack and damage but being able to strike multiple enemies is better IMHO.

In what way would combat expertise help me strike multiple enemies? It's really just a prereq feat that gives you a better way to fight defensively, ie. improve your AC.

Albions_Angel
2015-03-17, 01:46 PM
Damn, I meant reflexes. Combat Reflexes. Get Combat Reflexes, a guisarm and a friend with the same. Then wreck face