PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other LA +0 Half-Succubus?

Neolife
2015-03-17, 11:01 AM
We're about to start an Angels/Demons campaign, and I was looking at making a custom race for the campaign, based on a succubus. My DM and I have been working to set up a variant with an LA +0 to keep it pretty fair, since we're starting the campaign at 14. We were hoping to get some suggestions that may help balance the race a bit. Most of the party are playing lesser Aasimar (the LA +0 variant).

- Medium (Humanoid [Planetouched])
- Racial Skills: +2 Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive
- Racial Abilities: Darkvision 60'
- SLA: Charm Person 1/day, Range: Touch (Charming Presence)
- Attributes: Dex -2, Int +2, Cha +2
- Alignment: Half-Succubi tend to maintain the leanings of their mothers along the L/C axis, but could be anywhere along Good/Evil. Mine personally is Chaotic Neutral.
- Height: 5'5" + 2d4
- Weight: 100, *2d4

Racial Feat:
Voice of the Succubus - Increases Uses of Charm Person to Cha/day, range to Close, 1/day it can be replaced with a Suggestion spell. Requires 8 ranks of Diplomacy.

The physical characteristics are made by slightly reducing the overall characters of a succubus 3.5e race on the wiki.

Thanks to the suggestion of Amechra, flight was removed (we did not realize this was so strong), along with the energy draining kiss (we were kind of afraid this would be a bit too strong). I took out the resistances and bonuses to saves in exchange for the removal of Heritage of Lust (doesn't fit our campaign very well), but also took out the feats that required Heritage of Lust. Would Detect Good as an at-will be too strong to keep in with the loss of the Heritage of Lust weakness?

Based on the recommendation of Djinn_in_Tonic, reduced the +4 to 4 skills to +2 to 3 skills.

Amechra
2015-03-17, 11:05 AM
That's all a bit too much; the Flight alone is enough to boost this to +1, you're an Outsider (LA +0 Aasimar is Humanoid (Planetouched)), and you've got a 1/day level draining kiss, which is an auto-kill at low levels.

Maybe you could try this one (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12271.0;msg=211369)? It's the one I use (in the spoiler on the bottom).

Neolife
2015-03-17, 11:14 AM
Oh, we didn't realize flight was so good. Never done a 3.5 campaign before. Thanks for the race on the other site, too. Also, I completely didn't notice the type change on the Aasimar, my mistake. Switched to Evil, Extraplanar, based on the link.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-17, 12:55 PM
- Medium (Extraplanar, Human, Evil)
- Racial Skills: +4 Bluff, Disguise, Diplomacy, Sense Motive
- Racial Abilities: Darkvision 60'
- SLA: Charm Person 1/day, Range: Touch (Charming Presence)
- Attributes: Dex -2, Int +2, Cha +2
- Alignment: Half-Succubi tend to maintain the leanings of their mothers along the L/C axis, but could be anywhere along Good/Evil. Mine personally is Chaotic Neutral.
- Height: 5'5" + 2d4
- Weight: 100, *2d4

Charm Person 1/day, a net +2 to stats, the extra skill point bonus Int gives is a decent but not overpowering package, and Darkvision is a nice rider.

I'm concerned about the skills though. You can typically get away with +2 to 2 skills, or +4 to one skill, or even sometimes +2 to three skills (or +4 to one, and +2 to another). I'm concerned, however, with +4 to FOUR skills, especially when three of the skills are skills that you ALREADY get a +1 to from your Charisma, and are some of the most used skills in the game.

I'd rather see, say, +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy, +2 Sense Motive.

I'd probably also remove the [Evil] subtype, just to allow heroic half-succubi throwing off their demonic parentage. The child of a great Paladin who fell when seduced by a powerful succubus should (in my mind) totally be allowed to, if of strong enough will, break free from the evil of his heritage and attempt to follow in his father's footsteps.

Neolife
2015-03-17, 01:26 PM
I'd rather see, say, +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy, +2 Sense Motive.

I'd probably also remove the [Evil] subtype, just to allow heroic half-succubi throwing off their demonic parentage. The child of a great Paladin who fell when seduced by a powerful succubus should (in my mind) totally be allowed to, if of strong enough will, break free from the evil of his heritage and attempt to follow in his father's footsteps.

Thanks for the suggestion. The original +4 in 4 was based on the linked race above, so this seems more balanced. Originally it was a +2 in 2, not sure why I decided to +4 4. Does the [Extraplanar] subtype seem like the best fit or is there something more appropriate that would work instead? Originally I had Outsider, but that was because I accidentally looked at Tiefling and not Lesser Tiefling for the type.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-17, 01:31 PM
Originally I had Outsider, but that was because I accidentally looked at Tiefling and not Lesser Tiefling for the type.

Outsider [Native] might be the best type for it.

Neolife
2015-03-17, 01:42 PM
Outsider [Native] might be the best type for it.

I was told that Outsider was possibly a bit too strong of a type. Does changing it to Outsider [Native] help bring that to a more even field?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-17, 01:54 PM
I was told that Outsider was possibly a bit too strong of a type. Does changing it to Outsider [Native] help bring that to a more even field?

Eh. It may be too strong a type, but usually only when spell shennigans happen.

Humanoid [Planetouched] is probably your best option otherwise. I believe that's what the Lesser Aasimir is.

Neolife
2015-03-17, 02:36 PM
Eh. It may be too strong a type, but usually only when spell shennigans happen.

Humanoid [Planetouched] is probably your best option otherwise. I believe that's what the Lesser Aasimir is.

Alright, Planetouched seems to make the most sense.