PDA

View Full Version : The general.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-10, 03:48 PM
Ok, it's not a fanclub, so don't move it.

I was thinking about the general. Now he's obviously older than the members of the order, and he's the highest ranked warrior in AC, so shouldn't he be a higher level than any of the order? I mean, I assume he doesn't go out and adventure as much as they do now, but then again I don;t think he spent his whole life "Polishing his sword" either. (Huh huh. Polishing his sword. Heh heh heh.)

So I was wondeirng if, in any realistic sense, he should be a higher level than the order and have some pretty good equipment, like magic sword, magic armor and maybe a few potiosn to offset his age temporarily.

So if that's tru then maybe he was able to take out the fallen DK with one good whack, assuming he had an enchanted katanna.

Any ideas on what a NPC like him should have in D&D?

Icewalker
2007-04-10, 04:03 PM
It's possible he's higher level than the order, but even he couldn't take out a death knight with an AOO. I'd say hes a 15-20th level paladin, maybe +3 lawful/something/good katana, maybe magic halfplate? Couple more magic items? Leadership feat.

MReav
2007-04-10, 04:05 PM
It's possible he's higher level than the order, but even he couldn't take out a death knight with an AOO. I'd say hes a 15-20th level paladin, maybe +3 lawful/something/good katana, maybe magic halfplate? Couple more magic items? Leadership feat.

I think he's just a high level fighter. He doesn't have the traditional garb of the AC paladins (though his cloak is likely magical)

Elliot Kane
2007-04-10, 04:12 PM
Depends on a huge number of factors, not the least being how Azure City appoints its commanders and how actively militant the city is.

It's quite possible from the fact that the vast majority of AC soldiers have zero combat experience that the general is pretty low level and not amazingly experienced himself. If AC appoint generals by heredity rather than skill, he might have no real experience himself.

On the other hand, he might be a retired adventurer with truly awesome fighter skills.

There's just no way of telling on current evidence how good the general is at actual physical combat.

MReav
2007-04-10, 04:16 PM
It's quite possible from the fact that the vast majority of AC soldiers have zero combat experience that the general is pretty low level and not amazingly experienced himself. If AC appoint generals by heredity rather than skill, he might have no real experience himself.

He has experience, he's explicitly stated he's faced Hobgoblins before.

Xiander
2007-04-10, 04:17 PM
He is high level and at the front, that much we can gues. We know the high level paladins are elsewhere.
I'd say he is a fighter of at least tenth level, perhaps higher, but i dont think he is much abou 15 (my guess, no real reason to think this). Being a general, he should have some rather good equipment (+3 seems likely, maybe even better.)
Having the DK prone and unarmed, gives him all the advantages, especially if V has more buffs up his sleeve, and even more if the general himself is wellprepared.
But, deathknights are a rough bunch, so we can't be sure of the outcome yet.
I root for the general.

JT
2007-04-10, 04:17 PM
With the exception of Hinjo, I don't think there are paladins on the wall.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html
Of the 100 or so paladins that were in Azure City, the newbies (low levelers, presumably) should be behind the wall protecting the citizens, and the others will be making their stand at the tower (where the throne room is... OOTS #411).

O-Chul was on the wall, but left to defend the gate in WideScreen Battlicious episode #422.

Threeshades
2007-04-10, 04:43 PM
With the exception of Hinjo, I don't think there are paladins on the wall.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html
Of the 100 or so paladins that were in Azure City, the newbies (low levelers, presumably) should be behind the wall protecting the citizens, and the others will be making their stand at the tower (where the throne room is... OOTS #411).

O-Chul was on the wall, but left to defend the gate in WideScreen Battlicious episode #422.

If the low level paladins were protecting the citizens they would be pretty far off the battle. Because everyone who isnt going to fight was shipped out of the city.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 04:50 PM
the order are theh highest level people in AC, so he isnt stronger then them

Nightwing
2007-04-10, 05:00 PM
his name is Chang. general Chang!

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-10, 11:00 PM

SUppose his katanna had enhanced damage against evil? Then the DK might be boned....

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 11:02 PM
the DK is already boned, he isnt anything speical just a mid level fighter with some good rolls

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-10, 11:06 PM
the DK is already boned, he isnt anything speical just a mid level fighter with some good rolls

You mean he took out all those giant warriors who'd killed a thousand or more hobs in one sweep and he "just a mid level fighter"?

Sheesh.....

Kreistor
2007-04-10, 11:11 PM
No, he's just an expert/aristocrat/warrior. All NPC levels. Experienced, but no longer powerful in battle.

slayerx
2007-04-10, 11:18 PM
General Chang's class and level are in big question... i mean, just because someone is older doesn't mean that have the experience that reflects that... Afterall you can age and never lift a finger... However, because of his wisdom when it comes to bettle i would say that he is of decent level with a good amount of battle experience.

As for his class, it could be either fighter or paladin... While the Saphire guard is made up of Paladins, it was never said that they were the only paladin's in azure city... Their may be other paladins, ones in service to Azure city and not to the guard, not in on the secret of azure city, and not bound to the oath. Paladin does seem to very well fit azure city's image... However being a high level fighter is also equally possible... he could be like Roy, another fighter breaking that "all fighters are dumb" stereotype.

Grant it, third option could be that he's somekind of special prestige class... i'm not familiar with any of the exsiting prestiege classes, but Rich has made up classes before when he made the dashing swordsman, so he could make a Warlord class if one didn't all ready exist... abilities to like increase the strength of troops and what-not

oball
2007-04-11, 08:24 AM
Of course the Death Knight's boned. He's a frikkin' skeleton.

sorry

Talyn
2007-04-11, 09:08 AM
Generally, it seems that unless you are Really Important, you don't GET above mid-level. I mean, you have to live a life of more or less constant fighting against progressively more lethal foes, in a small group, to get to high levels...

I don't doubt that the General is a midlevel fighter/aristocrat (or maybe fighter/monk or even fighter/cleric), but higher than the OotS? No way. Unless there is an archmage tucked away somewhere, the only members in Azure City who are higher level than the OotS are the high priests of the 12 Gods (maybe) and Miko.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-11, 01:38 PM
He has experience, he's explicitly stated he's faced Hobgoblins before.

Good point. He's definitely more experienced than the average AC warrior, then, but we still don't know how many hobgobs he's fought, or whether he's tackled anything much harder.

I'd say his level is still very much open to question.

SMDVogrin
2007-04-12, 01:30 AM
You mean he took out all those giant warriors who'd killed a thousand or more hobs in one sweep and he "just a mid level fighter"?

Well, those "Giant Warriors" still have the exact same hit points that they did before having Enlarge Person cast on them, so yeah, I don't see that as a major problem for a mid-level fighter (say, one with Great Cleave)

MReav
2007-04-12, 01:37 AM
Well, those "Giant Warriors" still have the exact same hit points that they did before having Enlarge Person cast on them, so yeah, I don't see that as a major problem for a mid-level fighter (say, one with Great Cleave)

Bear's Endurance. They have +10 HP than normal, and they are 5th level.

Icewalker
2007-04-12, 01:53 AM
And he one hit em. 5th level fighter + Bear's Endurance + est 12 base con ~= 50 hp. and he takes down 4 in one hit? Great cleave is a possibility, but then he'd have to be dealing 50 damage per hit. Pretty damn high...

MReav
2007-04-12, 02:14 AM
It's pretty high, but he's probably got Spirited Charge, doubling his attack damage. It's likely not enough (though he probably scored a Greater Magic Weapon from Redcloak)

Baalzebub
2007-04-12, 06:52 AM
Also you are not counting the possible damage that the hobs have already done to those giant soldiers. It will be not much, though.

But, back into the thread... IMO the general Chang is a fighter. He is aged, yeah, he is a General, I hear that, but that does not necesarily mean that he is a High lvl Character. Rember that a general is usually a 10th lvl fighter or less, because of the expertise on battle. Usually the soldiers are warriors lvl 1 or 2. It's very rare to find a Fighter in an army because the path of the fighter requires special training, much like Roy, and that cost a lot of money and time to the army. A warrior on the other hand is cheaper and easier to train.

If he were indeed a high level paladin, he'd be protecting the throne room. The gate needs to be protected at all costs, and who better to defend it than a 15th-20th lvl Paladin?

the_tick_rules
2007-04-12, 10:53 AM
he's a general so he's higher level than the soliders to bs certain, how high actually i dunno.