PDA

View Full Version : New Classes

Slash_712
2007-04-10, 03:50 PM
Lately, I have found that creating new character classes for D&D is incredibly fun and a good way to give me something to do throughout the week. This I have done through the creation of two new classes, the Marksman and the Beast Master, both of which relate slightly to the Ranger and the Druid respectively, but I have now run out of good ideas and was wondering what other classes I could make. All ideas welcome and I really don't care if will never be allowed by any DM because my classes are geneally frowned upon by my friends due to the fact that I am relatively new to D&D and they think I know nothing. So help apprecited, I am bored.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 03:57 PM
well....you could go for the classic anime/video game hero type. No armor huge weapons.....liek a fighter/monk mix

Counterspin
2007-04-10, 03:59 PM
Have you considered a class based around one of the combat maneuvers, i.e. trip, grapple, that sort of thing? There's a couple of interesting possibilities there.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 03:59 PM
sort of like a gladiator?

kellandros
2007-04-10, 04:00 PM
Can you create something to top the Cat Juggler in Homebrew?

Slash_712
2007-04-10, 04:08 PM
About that class that focuses around a special kind of combat, such as trip and bull rush, I actually had a thought about creating a character that had weapon focus, greater weapon focus, weapon spec, and greater weapon spec for every weapon other than natural weapons, but the trick being, the character can't use a weapon unless he disarms an opponent for one. If say the player carried around a weapon for about ten minutes, he would lose all his powers, but my friends found a hole and argued that he could disarm one of his friends just because so that put that idea almost to the ground, but I might still do it.

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 04:12 PM
Well, as far as I know, the necromancer's the only caster specialization that has it's own class (dread necromancer). You could try other ones. I'd personally love the Phantasmal Illusionist, Great Conjurer, Supertransmuter, etc.

Wystrell
2007-04-10, 04:18 PM
Something similar I came up with for my Bard awhile ago... I was tired of being crap in combat, and I'd just decided to switch my Perform to exotic instruments (not exactly RP-friendly, but at least I was able to play a certain instrument one handed, wield a crossbow, and have someone else reload it inbetween shots).

The Drum Dancer!
This is a mostly-Asian art, sometimes with multiple people performing the same dance at the same time. If anyone's ever seen these folk at work, they are incredible. Actual drum dancers twist and turn around at least three drums to make very interesting, and soothing, rhythms. You'd need a certain amount in perform (percussion), and probably whirlwind attack, and you could use bardic music with it and get all sorts of bonuses. Uncanny dodge, a couple things that drunken masters have...

Example ability: Tremolo
One of the cool things actual drum dancers do is they twist around to hit drums behind them, in a Neo-during-the-MatrixII-Smith-fight sort of way. Well, Tremolo would basically let you hit enemies behind you rapidly, with a lower BAB but more attacks. Might drop flanking bonus and/or AoO.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 04:20 PM
Make a magic system based around astronomy.

Slash_712
2007-04-10, 04:21 PM
That would be really cool, but I suck at creating classes that cast spells, just because I have now idea how to completely balance them. While it is true that my classes aren't quite balanced I have a feeling I would just end up screwing up the class majorly if I simply put spells in the mix, but there is a first time for everything. I can see it now, first spell casting class The Illusionist, perfect! I am sure no one has every thought of it before. I'll shoow them haha.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 04:21 PM
stevenson several other caster schools have their own class, theh warmage for evocation and beguiler for enchantment/illusion
so transmuter, diviner, abjuerer, conjerer

and there is a caster based around astronomy, called the Star mage, its in one of the thrid party books, pretty well balanced and pretty neat to

Wystrell
2007-04-10, 04:23 PM

Eeee... there was an Astrology skill in a MUD I tried once (Lusternia). From what I heard, it was fairly half-decent most of the time, but when the stars started being Astronubs, the skill was a total waste.

Isn't there a whole set of astronomy feats?

Wystrell
2007-04-10, 04:24 PM

Eeee... there was an Astrology skill in a MUD I tried once (Lusternia). From what I heard, it was fairly half-decent most of the time, but when the stars started being Astronubs, the skill was a total waste.

Slash_712
2007-04-11, 08:43 AM
I really don't know. I only have the most basic core books. Just the player's handbook, monster manual, and the dungeon masters guide, so all the other classes from say the player's handbook 2, I have no clue about.

Falrin
2007-04-11, 08:50 AM
A shapechanger, A nature loving divine caster and An Animal Training class.

A skillfull Healing & Helping divine caster, A divine buff-casting holy fighter.

An Arcane caster specialized in and limited to a few schools.

Yup, I'd like to see those.

Hitchhiker
2007-04-11, 10:44 AM
A class based on creating crude, primitive forms of life through a cross between arcane and divine magic. Each member of the class would travel with another member, who would be either Arcane or Divine; based on whether the original member was Arcane or Divine, they would be the other.

Slash_712
2007-04-11, 01:27 PM
A shape shifter? isn't that borderline lycanthrope? Anyway, the Beast master class is based off of his animal companions and the beast master himself eventually tries to turn into a beast, so i am not sure that fits your criteria for shapeshifter, but it gets somewhat close.

Wystrell
2007-04-11, 03:11 PM
A shapechanger,

You mean War Shifter? Although I'm not sure if your post was irony or not, because most of those class ideas are core classes already...

Falrin
2007-04-11, 06:31 PM
I might need to clarify this:

Break a druid in parts gets you: A shapechanger, A nature loving divine caster and An Animal Training class.

Break a Cleric down gets you: A 'skillful' Healing & Helping divine caster, A divine buff-casting holy fighter.

Nerf a wizard to limited schools gets you: An Arcane caster specialized in and limited to a few schools.

You'd make to big classes chose a specific strong-point (with some extras) without getting the whole package.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 06:32 PM
One part done: Animal Trainer (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Animal_Trainer).

Innis Cabal
2007-04-11, 06:35 PM
a good versitle character you can build from the ground up. Meaning, a class that you pick and choose what it becomes at higher levels. Thats what i would like

Falrin
2007-04-11, 06:42 PM
I think people will point out that's what PrC's and Multi-classing is for.

Pure adjustable characters wouldn't require classes but point buy: Good BaB # points, skills, spells, ... x

PirateMonk
2007-04-11, 06:50 PM
I think people will point out that's what PrC's and Multi-classing is for.

Pure adjustable characters wouldn't require classes but point buy: Good BaB # points, skills, spells, ... x

You're probably better off switching to a classless system for that.

Anyway, I've been working on a spontaneous Cha caster that sacrifices casting ability for other talents, most notably combat ability. It may have already been done, I wouldn't know.

Aximili
2007-04-11, 07:12 PM
That would be really cool, but I suck at creating classes that cast spells, just because I have no idea how to completely balance them. Neither do the guys at WotC :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2007-04-11, 09:16 PM

In Dragon a few months ago there was an article on astrology in D&D, with accompanying feats.