PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Apparatus of Kwalish Modified for Earlier Campaign Use

INDYSTAR188
2015-03-17, 02:14 PM
OK so in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402991-Nautical-World&p=18952821#post18952821) a Playgrounder was looking for feedback on his nautical themed campaign, and it got me thinking about the nautical campaign I'm planning :smallsmile:. Anywho, I'm planning on running an adventure from level 4 to 12. I know that pretty early on (say level 5/6) the PCs will gain access to a small ship, which is critical to travelling in this particular world. I have this image of the PCs rolling around this nautical world with their ship and a small submersible for underwater exploration. I want to make that happen without giving them an overpowered magic item.

My idea is to essentially reduce the presented statistics in half:
AC: 10
HP: 85 - 100
Speed: 20 feet swim/walk
Damage Immunities: same

allow room for all four PCs (cuz Johnny Quest and the Venture Bros style adventures require 4 people :smalltongue:)
double the hours of breathing to accomodate for room for four passengers
reduce underwater depth to 500 feet
attacks made with claw (2 claws = 2 attacks): +5 to hit; 1d6 bludgeoning damage/claw

Also, feel free to discuss strategy/best practice for reducing powerful magic items to a more reasonable level for earlier introduction to campaigns. *Note* I am not suggesting that we reduce artifacts or even most legendary items but when it's appropriate I think it's pretty cool (and you could potentially have the item 'level up' to it's original power level).

TL;DR - I want to get this thing in the PCs hands much sooner than traditional Legendary items. I'm thinking about reducing its statistics in half and expanding it for four passengers.

Campaign Background if Interested:

The world was once a mighty Pangea-like continent that was destroyed by a major magical cataclysm. The two greatest empires are the Dragonborn (think ancient Rome) and the Tiefling (think Ottoman Empire blended with ancient Persia). The Dragonborn once ruled the whole world until a group of their slaves joined together into secret cabals, seeking the power to free themselves. Eventually they got access to the magic needed and caused the cataclysm (and created Tieflings).

The world is now a mass of disjointed islands, the largest ones being comparable to Hawaii's Big Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_%28island%29) (there are several islands the size of the various Hawaiin islands; the big island being approximately 4,000 square miles - for reference). As a result of the cataclysm most of the Dragonborn Empire's slaves were killed or fled and thus we have most major races present. The Empire is now using its vast stored wealth to hire 'savages' to bolster their armies (in exchange for a lesser form of citizenship or money or education). The Tiefling Empire has rose to prominance in the world utilizing their fell magics to enslave and conquer. There is a strong coalition of the 'barbarian' empires led by Torvald the Reaper King (a human Tempest Cleric | Fighter NPC).

Thousands of islands now dot the worlds ocean and there are few places of safety or luxury (found almost exclusively inside the two great Empires). Enter the PCs, level 4 crew members of a smuggler/trader/treasure hunter/sometimes pirate, who have the entire world to explore.

The world will be comparable to ancient world/early middle ages. Magic will be pretty low (with exceptions). All races/classes/PHB equipment will be considered to maximize PC fun. I'll just ask them how their option fits in the world if I wasn't thinking about using it originally.

Adventure Ideas:
- rescuing someone from the Tieflings or Dragonborns or Torvald
- Ali Baba themed adventures
- elemental themed islands
- Feywild/Shadowfell touched islands
- fighting pirates
- room to join sides with a cause or exploit the various empire's constant war-posturing
- I also plan to use a lot of the stuff from the thread cited at the beginning of the post

Gritmonger
2015-03-17, 03:04 PM
You could reduce it further (lower HP, one or no claws, much shallower depth) and make it manufacturable, and make the "hours of air" a separate manufacturable alchemical item, allowing for extended trips and potentially individual survival underwater should it break.

Bottle of breathing: An alchemical device, allows an air breathing creature to recycle the same breath for one hour. Each additional creature divides up that time by the number of creatures.

INDYSTAR188
2015-03-17, 05:39 PM
You could reduce it further (lower HP, one or no claws, much shallower depth) and make it manufacturable, and make the "hours of air" a separate manufacturable alchemical item, allowing for extended trips and potentially individual survival underwater should it break.

Bottle of breathing: An alchemical device, allows an air breathing creature to recycle the same breath for one hour. Each additional creature divides up that time by the number of creatures.

That's genius! There now has to be some floating cadre of wizards|artificers who negotiate the sale of these things. Others can enterprise in the accessory items, like maps! I don't like the idea of it being mass produced with kwalish-salesman but perhaps a very expensive item to the worlds exclusive...

Chronos
2015-03-18, 03:53 PM
If you want them to have a Kwalish, just give it to them. Yeah, it's listed as a legendary item, and it's really cool, but it's not actually all that powerful. Just think to 3rd edition, where players were assumed to be able to get whatever magic items they want: When did you ever hear of anyone buying an Apparatus of Kwalish?