PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Monster Vault (Engine of Life Campaign Setting) (WIP)

ChubbyRain
2015-03-17, 03:05 PM
I'm creating a campaign setting and I want to play around and make my own monsters. I have the DMG but the initial monsters will be made and then I'll adjust them as I see fit to work in a CR. This way I can keep my options open and then adjust the monster to 5e.

I will be taking inspiration from different homebrew sources as well as the MM, PHB, and DMG. If I alter a monster that is from a homebrew I will give credit where it is due :smallsmile:.

I will probably want to make a low, medium, and high CR version of each monster. I may just make all monsters a low CR and then apply a general template to make them medium CR and high CR. Not sure just yet.

I'm going to save three additional posts in order to fill them with the different type of monsters I want plaguing my campaign. Once I put a few up I would welcome anyone to critique them, be as harsh as you want just as long as it is constructive. :smallsmile:

The setting to the Engine of Life campaign will be on an island that has not be explored for however many years it is deemed ok by the DM. It has existed outside of the time and reality but is now back and will have some crazy different monsters on it. Ones that would not usually be ran into during a typical D&D game. The main type of monsters are beasts and plants but there will be aberrations and constructs too. Some types of common enemies can not exist or even perceive the island (fiends, celestial, undead, and some other common D&D enemies).

Banned List: Fighters, Circle of the Moon Druids, Minionmancy via Necromancy (as when you create an undead creature it will be destroyed automatically, you can play a necromancer if you want... But it won't work for spoiler reasons).

The Engine of Life Campaign starts at level 2. All pregens will have the same starting array which I rolled. The characters are a bit optimized for good reason. All characters start with XP equal to [(Level 3 XP) - 50xp] which will allow for one fight before becoming level 3. This first fight will be an intro fight that is completely optional to the DM.

Earth Genasi: Folk Hero Barbarian

Water Genasi: Outlander Cleric

Air Genasi: Urchin Monk

Fire Genasi: Acolyte Wizard

Goliath: Sailor Paladin

Each will have their own backgrounds but the players will be allowed to choose their own Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws.

If anyone has a suggestion of a type of monster to add I would appreciate the help!

ChubbyRain
2015-03-17, 03:07 PM
Aberrations, Beasts, Constructs, Monstrosities, Ooze, and Plants.

Small Plant
AC: 12, HP: 6
Speed: 5' (Walk and Climb)

Str: 12, Dex: 8, Con: 12, Int: 2, Wis: 8, Cha: 8

Vulnerable: Slashing and Fire
Immunity: Poison
Senses: Blindsight 30', blind beyond this. Passive Perception 9
Skills: Athletics +3
Languages: -
Challenge: [Not sure yet, haven't went over it with the DMG]

Toxic Fumes: If killed by fire damage the Skulker Vine explodes into a cloud of poison with a radius of 5'. Each creature that starts their turn within the cloud takes 1d4+1 poison damage. A DC 11 Con save negates this damage. Creatures that do not need to breath are immune to this attack.

False Appearance: While motionless the Skulker Vine can not be distinguished from a normal plant.

Actions
Vine Strike: +3 to hit, reach 10', deals 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions
Grab: The skulking vine may take a bonus action after it has hit with a Vine Strike in order to attempt to use the actions grapple or climb onto another creature. While they have a creature grappled or they are climbing on the creature their vine strike automatically hits when they use the action to attack the creature they have grappled or climbed on.

Basic Info: Skulker Vines are native to the island and have adapted a method of working together. When one skulker vine grabs their pray they let out a pheromone that attracts other nearby skulker vines. After they kill their prey they bury the pray in the ground near where they inject their root system. They will stay motionless until all nourishment from their prey has been absorbed.

Skulker Vines are green with purple markings closely resembling other plants on the island, they are quite beautiful when they aren't trying to strangle you.

Inspiration: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Witherweed_(5e_Creature)

Medium Ooze
AC: 14, HP: 50
Speed: 20' (Walk and Climb)

Str: 15, Dex: 10, Con: 16, Int: 2, Wis: 6, Cha: 1

Vulnerable: Lightning
Immunity: Acid, Slashing
Senses: Blindsight 30', blind beyond this. Passive Perception 8
Skills: Stealth (Disadvantage),

Amorphous. The jelly can move through a space as narrow as 3 inches wide. The Clockwork Jelly can not squeeze.

Spider Climb. The jelly can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Actions
Spit Gear: +2 to hit, ranged attack 30/120

Slam: +4 to hit, 5',

Reactions
Harden: A number of times per day equal to their Constitution Modifier the Clockwork Jelly may, as a reaction to an attack, harden itself in order to not take as much damage. They take half damage from any attack that is not Lightning, they still take no damage from acid and slashing damage.

Inspiration: Ochre Jelly and Steam Punk

Huge Beast
AC: 18 (natural armor), HP: 210
Speed: 20' Walk, 30' Swim

Str: 24, Dex: 12, Con: 25, Int: 3, Wis: 20, Cha: 5

Vulnerable: None
Resistance: Weapons and Magic Damage (except psychic)
Immunity: Poison
Senses: Darkvision 120', Passive Perception 20
Skills: Athletics +12, Stealth (swimming) +8, Perception +10

Fearsome Build: The Scorpiodile uses their Strength in place of their Charisma when using the Intimidate skill.

Feral Mind: The scorpiodile is immune to mental effects (such as hold or dominate monster) that would paralyze, charm, or otherwise control their actions. The scrpiodile will not be stopped in the pursuit of their prey.

Supreme Resistance: Due to the nature of how the scorpiodile's scales evolved they have resistance to all forms of damage except bludgeoning and psychic.

Actions
Multi-Attack: When the scorpiodile uses Frightful Presence they may make 2 claw attacks and 1 bite, tail slam, or tail stinger attack.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the dragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack, +13 to hit, reach 10', one target
Hit: 17 (2d10+7) Piercing Damage plus 7 (2d6) Poison Damage

Claw: Melee Weapon Attack, +13 to hit, reach 10', one target
Hit: 15 (2d8+7) Piercing Damage.

Tail Slam: Melee Weapon Attack, +13 to hit, reach 10', one target
Hit: 15 (2d8+7) Bludgeoning Damage.

Tail Stinger: Melee Weapon Attack, +13 to hit, reach 10', one target
Hit: 12 (1d8+7) Piercing and Poison Damage.

The head and body crocodile and the front claws and poison tip tail of a scorpion, the Scorpiodile is one of the most fearsome natural beasts found on the Island. Might give this race some lair actions.

Inspiration: My wife answering the question "what two animals would be the scariest if combined".

Tiny Beast
AC: 10, HP: 1
Speed: 20' (Walk and Climb)

Str: 3, Dex: 12, Con: 10, Int: 2, Wis: 10, Cha: 4

Vulnerable: -
Immunity: -
Senses: Darkvision 60', Passive Perception 12
Skills: Stealth +3, Perception +2

Racial Abilities
Keen Smell: The Manic has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that involve smell.

Manic Saliva: Whenever a Manic bites a living creature their saliva infects the wound and causes the target's mind to wig out. The creature bitten must make a Con Save (DC 10) or have disadvantage on their next attack roll.

Actions
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack,+1 to Hit, Reach 5', One Target
Hit: 2 piercing damage + Manic Saliva

Background: Manics are a type of rat whose saliva has a poison like property. Multiple manic saliva doesn't stack but you must make a save against each bite. Manics never fight alone and will flee unless cornered.

Inspiration: Rat from the basic rules DMG and some old guy on TV calling a drug "Manic or tweed or whatever the kids are calling it now days. They are like a bunch of rats."

Huge Construct
AC: 9, HP: 115
Speed: -

Str: 18, Dex: 9, Con: 20, Int: 18, Wis: 10, Cha: 5

Damage Immunity: Acid, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons that aren't adamantine.
Condition Immunity: Charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses: Blindsight 60', Passive Perception 10
Skills: -
Languages: Understands languages of creator but can't speak.

Immutable Form. The living hallway is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Magic Resistance. The living hallway has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. The living hallway's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions
Lower Ceiling: The living hallway may lower its ceiling by 1 foot. Any creature that can push against the ceiling must succeed on an Athletics versus Athletics skill contest to keep the ceiling from lowering with this action. If the creature succeeds then they must continue to hold the ceiling up or else the ceiling will lower by 1 foot. Once a creature pinned by the ceiling (as in the ceiling as come down far enough that the creature can no longer push against it) the ceiling deals 2d8+4 bludgeoning damage each round to the creature until it is dead and crushed.

Dart Trap: The Living Hallway may shoot darts from the ceiling and walls in a 10' cube as an action. These darts deal 3d8 damage, a successful Dexterity Save halves the damage.

Elemental Trap: Each living hallway's creator chooses an element (Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning) for that specific living hallway. The living hallway may as an action shoot three beams of pure energy at one creature. The beams of energy come from the walls and ceilings. The creature must make a DC (14) Dexterity Save or take 2d6+5 damage of that elemental type. Creature who pass the save take half damage.

Mud Trap: The Living Hallway may make up to one 5' squares into mud. This counts as difficult terrain as any creature in the area has mud up to their ankles. Any creature not holding up the ceiling may make a Dexterity Save (DC 14) to avoid falling in the mud (they move 5' away). If the Living Hallway choices a new spot to turn to mud the old one forms into rock, a creature may make a Dexterity Save (DC 14) to avoid their feet being encased in rock and pinned. If a creature is encased in rock they must make a Strength Save (DC 14) to break free.

Bonus Actions
Close Entrance/Exit: The Living Hallway may raise or lower walls to enclose its area.

Background: Living Hallways are constructs that were created into long passage ways. They have many abilities that impede travel and kill whoever has trespassed.

Inspiration: Living Wall x3 (sides and roof), nuff said I think. My favorite monster creation thus far, the scorpiodile was more my wife than me lol

ChubbyRain
2015-03-17, 03:08 PM
More Aberrations, Beasts, Constructs, Monstrosities, Ooze, and Plants.

Medium Humanoid (human, shapechanger), CE
AC: 16 (natural armor), HP: 140
Speed: 30' (Walk and Climb)

Str: 10, Dex: 15, Con: 16, Int: 10, Wis: 13, Cha: 8

Immunity: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from weapons that aren't silver. Poison
Senses: Darkvision 60', Passive Perception 14
Skills: Stealth +5, Perception +4
Languages: Common, Rat (can communicate specifically with rats)
Challenge: 6 (ish?)

Shapechanger: Although a shapechanger, the Rat King is permanently stuck in hybrid form.

Cursed Blood of the Rat: When the Rat King is damaged by a source that isn't silvered his blood sprays violently and the first drop to touch a surface bubbles and becomes a swarm of rats. This swarm acts when on the initiative count it was created loosing any ties it may have with another creature (may act along with other rats).

Defensive Tail: The Rat King uses his tail to help himself when making attacks. The Rat King never takes disadvantage on melee attack rolls (though disadvantage may cancel out any advantage the Rat King obtains).

Keen Smell: The Rat King has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that involve smell.

Actions
Multiattack: The Rat King may make two dagger or two hand crossbow attacks when they take the attack action.

Quick Bite: As a bonus action the Rat King may make a bite attack as a bonus action. This attack deals 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Dagger: Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5' (or 20' if thrown), one creature, Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Hand Crossbow: Ranged weapon attack: +5 to hit, range 30/120, one creature, Hit: 1d6 + 2 piercing damage.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-17, 03:09 PM
Even More Aberrations, Beasts, Constructs, Monstrosities, Ooze, and Plants.

Finished reserving posts.

Small Beast
AC: 15, HP: 132
Speed: 30' (Walk and Climb)

Str: 23, Dex: 20, Con: 22, Int: 30, Wis: 14, Cha: 30

Immunity: -
Senses: Darkvision 60', Passive Perception 14
Skills: Stealth +13, Perception +10,
Languages: Deep South Common, Can't Speak but can Understand

Racial Abilities
Keen Perception: The Drop Bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks.
Keen Hunter: The Drop Bear has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
Cute as a Button: The Drop Bead has advantage on Charisma (Deception) checks. Drop Bears that don't kill their prey on their initial attacks enter a "Cute Mode" which works as Dominate Monster which made be used once per short or long rest. The Drop Bear will pretend to be harmless and wills the prey to leave it alone if the prey has a chance of killing the Drop Bear.

Actions
Multi-Attack: Whenever the Drop Bear uses their Claw Attack they may make two claw attacks with a single action.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack,+10 to Hit, Reach 5', One Target
Hit: 2d12+6 poison and piercing damage

Claw Attack: Melee Weapon Attack, +10 to Hit, Reach 5', One Target
Hit: 2d8+6 Slashing Damage + Cute Mode

Background: Not much is known about Drop Bears other than they are small gray bears that look like Koalas. They hide among the trees and drop on their victims.
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/images/posts/Dropbear.jpg Found via google

Inspiration: Reggie from American Dad and well... Drop Bears.

This is a joke entry for the fun of it.

flameboy99
2015-03-19, 10:17 PM
I can't really give any advice or critique, as I'm new to homebrewing in 5e (And 5e in general) myself. However, this is really cool, and I'll likely snatch at least the Clockwork Jelly for my campaign, if not more. Good luck making more!

ChubbyRain
2015-05-17, 11:43 AM
I can't really give any advice or critique, as I'm new to homebrewing in 5e (And 5e in general) myself. However, this is really cool, and I'll likely snatch at least the Clockwork Jelly for my campaign, if not more. Good luck making more!

Thanks!

The best compliment someone can give to a homebrewer is using the word "snatch" or "steal" in their posting :smallcool:

I've fallen behind with making more monsters lately but now that things have settled down I'm going to start up again.

I'm thinking of making some "Last of Us" clickers, modifying some races to have been infected by spores of the Myconids or something.