PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wrath of Righteous Character Advice:

Eldonauran
2015-03-17, 04:42 PM
Looking for input/suggestions for a character I am making for a Wrath of the Righteous campaign.

These are set in stone. Not going to change. No, not even then:

Race: Gnome
Age: Sometime after the Bleaching (actual age 107 years)
Class: Iroran Paladin 4 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/enlightened-paladin-paladin-archetype) / Sacred Fist Warpriest 16 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest/archetypes/paizo---warpriest-archetypes/sacred-fist)
Party Role: Switch Hitter, backup healer, moral compass? party face?

Things I would like suggestions on:

Ability scores (25 point buy)
I am aware this character will be MAD. Let's make the best of it rather than make fun of it. I'm leaning towards the following starting stats:
Str 11, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 14
Level up points will go to Str, Wis, Con, Dex, Dex. I'm flexible here but probably want the first point in Str.
Traits:
I sort of have my heart set on Quain Martial Artist (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/traits/regional/quain-martial-artist) to give my unarmed damage a little boost due to the small size and low strength.
Feats:
Weapon Finesse is a given, though will probaby be able to retrain it later.
Pummeling Style and Charge are an option later on with the style feats I get from Sacred Fist.
Ki Channel is a feat that allows you to either heal or recharge Ki points, with a channel burst (equal to the number of dice it would have healed). Receivers of the burst that have a Ki pool can choose to either take the healing or the Ki points (including the source of the burst).
Other:
Character may take a sort of 'Oradin' approach once 2nd level warpriest spells are obtained (with Shield Other) or other items that create a similar effect.

The DM is being kind and allowing Lay on Hands and Fervor to combine into the same 'pool' (sort of like grit/panache/luck). Paladin + Warpiest level combined will determine the healing effect, number of uses, number of mercies, fervor can pass along a mercy and lay on hands can activate a blessing. Iroran paladin never gets access to channel energy, so its levels do not stack with warpriest to determine channelling power.

Skill points! I feel the pinch! Int is the only real dump stat for this character and I still want more skill points!

Aside from the obvious things (Like evil outsider bane and holy weapon stuff), what kind of recommendations can you give for purchasing items? I'm intentionally keeping myself ignorant of the campaign specifics, so no spoilers!

Necromancy
2015-03-23, 07:39 AM
You need to read the mythic sourcebook before deciding on any character builds

Eldonauran
2015-03-23, 06:13 PM
I have the Mythic book and have read it fairly well. I know which paths I want to go down Heirophant (going to to dual to guardian). I plan on getting the Touched by Divinity campaign trait so that I can get Enlarge person as a spell like ability.

I know that we'll get our first tier at level 6. I don't know anything further than that so I do not know how to pace my build to plan feat/attribute acquisition.

Necromancy
2015-03-23, 07:14 PM
Dunno precisely what your build is supposed to be, please elaborate what you wish you character to be able to do?

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-23, 07:34 PM
I have the Mythic book and have read it fairly well. I know which paths I want to go down Heirophant (going to to dual to guardian). I plan on getting the Touched by Divinity campaign trait so that I can get Enlarge person as a spell like ability.

I know that we'll get our first tier at level 6. I don't know anything further than that so I do not know how to pace my build to plan feat/attribute acquisition.

Why are you casting Enlarge Person on a small size creature? See if you can get Lead Blades instead (I don't know if you can, I'm not familiar with the trait). Virtual size increases don't penalize your Dex, which you'll need.

Set your STR to 10, then get mythic weapon finesse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-feats/weapon-finesse-mythic) ASAP and just use your DEX for everything that matters. Until then you'll have to rely on traits and the Brawling armor enchantment to add a little extra oomph to your punches, but you'll be ok.

I know you don't want to hear it but your build would improve significantly if you removed those Paladin levels. You'd be less MAD, your spells would be better, you'd have more feats to work with and your unarmed strike damage would improve faster.

Eldonauran
2015-03-24, 01:10 AM
Why are you casting Enlarge Person on a small size creature? See if you can get Lead Blades instead (I don't know if you can, I'm not familiar with the trait). Virtual size increases don't penalize your Dex, which you'll need.
Mostly for the increased damage die, to be honest. Useful if I run across an easier to hit monster that is harder to damage (low AC, some DR). I couldn't find lead blades on a list of domain spells, sadly.

Set your STR to 10, then get mythic weapon finesse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-feats/weapon-finesse-mythic) ASAP and just use your DEX for everything that matters. Until then you'll have to rely on traits and the Brawling armor enchantment to add a little extra oomph to your punches, but you'll be ok.
That's good advice. I'll definitely make use of that feat.

I know you don't want to hear it but your build would improve significantly if you removed those Paladin levels. You'd be less MAD, your spells would be better, you'd have more feats to work with and your unarmed strike damage would improve faster.
Understood. I'm pretty much set on the character concept as it is, which is why I want to make smart feat choices to make the existing build as optimal as possible within its set limitations. I'm looking at the build from a long term standpoint.

Dunno precisely what your build is supposed to be, please elaborate what you wish you character to be able to do?
Mechanically? I want the character to be able to step in to a number of roles, while maintaining average effectiveness (at worst).

I have a knack for characters that possess a decent splash of magical ability, martial prowess, the ability to heal and, if I can get the ability to deny an enemy an action, the more the better I also have a do-gooder streak that demands attention. I also Have a way with keeping track of all the floating static bonuses that crop up in gameplay and am able to remind everyone.

Female Gnome
Middle Aged Bleachling
Str 11, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 14
Classes: Paladin 4 / Warpriest 16
Archetypes: (Iroran Paladin / Sacred Fist)
Blessings: Healing / Strength

Traits:
Quain Martial Artist (+1 unarmed damage)
Unpredictable (bluff is class skill)
Touched by Divinity (gain 1st level domain spell, 1/day)

Drawback:
Fey-Taken

Feats:
01) Weapon Finesse (Fey Foundling)
03) Greater Mercy
05) Bewildering Koan
07) --Undecided-- Additional Traits? (magical knack WArpriest, Fate's Favored)
09) Ki Channel
10) Pummeling Style
11) Pummeling Charge
13) --Undecided--
15) --Undecided--
16) Dragon Style
17) --Undecided--
19) --Undecided--

Necromancy
2015-03-24, 07:33 AM
This build confuses me. Can't figure out why paladin. Doesn't seem to benefit you at all

That being said, everything you need for your build is right here

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-feats/guided-hand-mythic

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-24, 07:57 AM
This build confuses me. Can't figure out why paladin. Doesn't seem to benefit you at all

Like I said above, he'd be better off with mythic weapon finesse (dex to damage) since he won't be getting Mythic Rank 1 until 6th level, so he'd need weapon finesse anyway for his to-hit until then. Dex SAD is better than WIS SAD because it affects his AC, Reflex and Initiative as well.

Eldonauran
2015-03-24, 11:46 AM

Guided hand would be very useful but it takes too many feats to achieve. Weapon finesse is preferable.

As for why Paladin? Why not?

Mechanically, it gives me a solid chassis to begin the build with: +4 BAB (ensuring 4 attacks at level 20), two good saves, CHA to saves, lay on hands, mercies, immunity to disease, a weaker-but-more-versatile smite evil and CHA to AC with in light armor.

Downside? Multiple ability scores need positive modifiers to take advantage of all the class features (MAD), some abilities for the warpriest are being delayed by 4 levels (and the DM has fixed some of these due to similarities). Did I miss anything?

The rest of the reasons I have for taking Iroran Paladin are strictly related to roleplaying reasons. Character concept usually gets the biggest share of the weight when it comes to optimizing, for me. I build the box and optimize within it.

Like I said above, he'd be better off with mythic weapon finesse (dex to damage) since he won't be getting Mythic Rank 1 until 6th level, so he'd need weapon finesse anyway for his to-hit until then. Dex SAD is better than WIS SAD because it affects his AC, Reflex and Initiative as well.
Yes, exactly.

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-24, 11:57 AM
Because going straight warpriest is better in nearly every way. Heck, going straight Champion of Irori would probably be better than multiclassing the two.

Be a Sacred Fist Warpriest of Irori and you get better damage die progression, better spells, a more useful LoH (a.k.a. Fervor), Blessings, better channel energy, more feats, and comparable saves. If you want full BAB, there are spells that will give you the equivalent with little issue. You'll even have the equivalent of Full BAB if you use your flurry of blows, and you can stack spells onto it to give you better attack and damage than you'd get as a Paladin.

Necromancy
2015-03-24, 12:21 PM

Or he could just tough it out till then

Wisdom is much much better than dex for this build. Why?

First of all, try reading his build

He gets monk wisdom armor bonus
Is reflex more important than will?
Is 20 initiative somehow better than than 22+ BONUS SPELLS PER DAY?!?

(Edit)

And it's only 1 more feat

Necromancy
2015-03-24, 12:25 PM
Also, as you have to have channel as a prerequisite, I retro-validates your build, giving those 4 levels in paladin an actual purpose