PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warforged psion: fabricating yourself

Temennigru
2015-03-17, 06:08 PM
Can a warforged psion(shaper) use fabricate, psionic on himself?
If so, what are the implications? Can I graft a natural weapon into my arm the way Edward Elric from FMA does without losing the use of my hand?
http://www.renders-graphiques.fr/image/upload/normal/7994_render_Edward_Elric_3.png

FYI: Warforged has a "grafted armor" in him, so I'm pretty sure it can be fabricated, since it can be enchanted.

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-17, 11:01 PM
It's up to the DM. I'd at least rule of cool it under the agreement that the player won't allow it to unbalance the game...probably with a relatively tough spellcraft or craft weapons/armor check.

...Then I would attempt to make a prestige class around a warforged that found a way to fabricate ever smaller nano bits and incorporate them unto himself, granting really wild powers, with a swallow whole capstone where warforged caster breaks into tiny subunits of warforged and reform around the creature to be digested. It would have 5 levels and the powers would cost entire spell slots to be powered (representing successively more intense uses of fabricate)

...Then the PC would be all like, "whatever, I'm taking a level of monk next so I can add my +1 wisdom to my AC because I really need that". And I feel crushed.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-17, 11:13 PM
This is what graft weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm) is for.

Temennigru
2015-03-17, 11:17 PM
This is what graft weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm) is for.

Graft weapon lasts 24 hours.
I wanted something permanent so I could get improved natural weapon for it.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-17, 11:21 PM
Fabricate cannot make a natural weapon.

torrasque666
2015-03-17, 11:22 PM
I believe this then calls for the Weapon Graft graft. I.... think it lets you turn a manufactured weapon into a natural one, at the cost of a hand.

Forrestfire
2015-03-18, 12:33 AM
Get a Hideaway weapon (+7500gp, Races of the Wild) and put it on your component weapon. As a free action, you can retract it into a small cylinder, or expand it to normal. Gets the same visual effect, at least.

Red Fel
2015-03-18, 08:45 AM

Fabricate cannot make a natural weapon.

Karl makes an important point.

As an aside, why would you want it to be a natural weapon? The problem with natural weapons is that you generally lose your iterative attacks with them - you can make one attack with a given natural weapon as your standard action, or one with each natural weapon as a full attack. By illustration, if you have BAB +16/+11/+6/+1, and a longsword, you make four attacks on your full attack, one at +16, one at +11, one at +6, and one at +1. If you attack with a pair of claws, you simply make two attacks, each at +16. In this case, however, you'll just have the one weapon; that's one attack, even on a full attack.

So why do you want it to be a natural weapon, anyway? Why not just a grafted regular weapon? You could always ask for a magic item that replicates the ability of Graft Weapon. Think about it; you can get a magic item that gives you Detect Invisible or Mage Armor or any other buff you like, so why not one that grants Graft Weapon? Alternatively, if you are a Warforged, why not just get a Warforged Component? Armblade is a thing, and it's a +1 Bastard Sword grafted onto your arm. And Forrest makes a good argument about Hideaway Weapon.

Why do you need to actually Fabricate it?

Urpriest
2015-03-18, 08:55 AM
Modifications to Warforged are almost always magic items, and you can only make nonmagical items with Fabricate.