PDA

View Full Version : Harpy Question

Yogibear41
2015-03-17, 08:47 PM
Lets say an entire party fails their saves versus a harpies singing, allowing the harpy to beat on the without them being able to defend themselves. How many rounds can the harpy continue singing before it has to stop to take a breath? I feel like the answer should be its constitution score, but was wondering if there was an official answer.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-17, 08:52 PM
Lets say an entire party fails their saves versus a harpies singing, allowing the harpy to beat on the without them being able to defend themselves. How many rounds can the harpy continue singing before it has to stop to take a breath? I feel like the answer should be its constitution score, but was wondering if there was an official answer.

By RAW? Never apparently, though i feel they should get a second save when they're attacked.

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-17, 09:06 PM
If it's in any way related to a Bard song (likely, since countersong can stop it), then it never has to stop. And if the entire party fails the save then there is nothing but DM fiat (like, the NPC shows up to drive the creature away, or the harpy beats you all to unconsciousness and takes you prisoner/new plot thread) preventing a TPK.

You are then obligated to look at that party and say, "Them's the way the dice fell. Next time, maybe cast Protection from Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm)?"

Karl Aegis
2015-03-17, 09:10 PM
You can hold a note forever without ever having to take a breath with enough practice.

torrasque666
2015-03-17, 09:16 PM
You can hold a note forever without ever having to take a breath with enough practice.
Yep. Circular breathing is a thing.

Mr. Bitter
2015-03-17, 09:19 PM
What would be the most fun? If the whole party fails their saves, it seems like the rules probably indicate that a total party kill would be in order. Since that definitely isn't the most fun thing, maybe have it start eating the person with the highest charisma. I assume harpies hate people with high charisma. Describe it really gruesomely: intestines spooling out, splatters of blood spewing everywhere (especially onto the other players), the harpy laughing as it cracks the player's bones and sucks the marrow out. Then it has eaten its fill and flies away. It probably can't eat more than like a third of a player-character, tops, and the players are obviously so easy to charm that it won't have any issues repeating the procedure the next time it is hungry. I feel like up to five harpies could probably be happy eating just one person, and they'd obviously all want to eat the same person according to their preferences. Highest charisma, blue eyes, slightly sunburned, not previously injured that day, wearing auspicious colors, whatever.

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-19, 12:34 AM

I'm curious why you'd even assume that taking quick breaths, which is a totally normal part of singing, would end the ability in the first place? :smallconfused:

Sith_Happens
2015-03-19, 02:27 AM
I think I just found a bug in the ability that technically solves this problem:

This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect.

A charmed character who is openly attacked by the creature who charmed him or by that creature’s apparent allies is automatically freed of the spell or effect.

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-19, 03:45 AM
I think this would be a case of specific trumps general, don't you?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-03-19, 05:34 AM
DM fiat, harpy takes a mate and leaves the rest of the party behind.

The Insanity
2015-03-19, 05:47 AM
DM fiat, harpy takes a mate and leaves the rest of the party behind.
Ah, solution that leads to sexy times. My favorite kind.

Sith_Happens
2015-03-20, 03:15 PM
Ah, solution that leads to sexy times. My favorite kind.

Even with this?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG150.jpg
:eek:

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 03:44 PM
Even with this?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG150.jpg

Ya, this is why i have protection from evil up, like all the time....

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-20, 03:46 PM
Ya, this is why i have protection from evil up, like all the time....

I get the feeling that the thing in that illustration isn't too concerned about whether or not you brought protection...

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-20, 04:00 PM
What would be the most fun? If the whole party fails their saves, it seems like the rules probably indicate that a total party kill would be in order. Since that definitely isn't the most fun thing, maybe have it start eating the person with the highest charisma. I assume harpies hate people with high charisma. Describe it really gruesomely: intestines spooling out, splatters of blood spewing everywhere (especially onto the other players), the harpy laughing as it cracks the player's bones and sucks the marrow out. Then it has eaten its fill and flies away. It probably can't eat more than like a third of a player-character, tops, and the players are obviously so easy to charm that it won't have any issues repeating the procedure the next time it is hungry. I feel like up to five harpies could probably be happy eating just one person, and they'd obviously all want to eat the same person according to their preferences. Highest charisma, blue eyes, slightly sunburned, not previously injured that day, wearing auspicious colors, whatever.

Everyone knows that small (size s) creatures are more delicious than medium (m) of which, gnomes have a reputation for flavor, but halfling flesh really falls off the bone.

Then all the high charisma guy needs is a paper bag. Although to be fair, everyone knows bthat harpies inject their eggs into their mates via an ovipositer, a la those parasitoid wasps. On some summer evenings, you can hear the cliff harpies crooning their chosen mates into stasis on their nests, hidden in the faraway peaks;, while harpie chicks eat their hosts body from the inside out over the course of a few days.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 04:37 PM
I get the feeling that the thing in that illustration isn't too concerned about whether or not you brought protection...

It so that damnable singing cant infect my brain, this is why i like being a Topaz Guardian.

Then all the high charisma guy needs is a paper bag. Although to be fair, everyone knows bthat harpies inject their eggs into their mates via an ovipositer, a la those parasitoid wasps. On some summer evenings, you can hear the cliff harpies crooning their chosen mates into stasis on their nests, hidden in the faraway peaks;, while harpie chicks eat their hosts body from the inside out over the course of a few days.

That....that is horrifying. Excuse me while i get my Alchemical Firethrower, i got some purging to do. *flips helmet down*

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-03-20, 04:43 PM
Even with this?

What if it's this?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=952788&d=1398488490

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 04:47 PM
What if it's this?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=952788&d=1398488490

Um....im less visually horrified, now more intellectually horrified. Nothing that cute should be that dangerous.

Mr. Bitter
2015-03-21, 12:24 PM
Everyone knows that small (size s) creatures are more delicious than medium (m) of which, gnomes have a reputation for flavor, but halfling flesh really falls off the bone.

Now we're talking!