PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Commanding undead

Verumsui
2015-03-18, 02:42 AM
I've decided to make a Dread Necromancer for a game I'm going to be playing soon, so I've been looking at the rules for controlling and rebuking undead. I've noticed that I can only control a number of undead HD equal to my level. Is there a way to boost this, or is this just it? I have found ways to increase my turning check rolls, # of attempts, and increase the # of HD I can rebuke , but I can still only control as many HD as I have levels?

I also see that raising undead is slightly different, it counts as 4x caster level for HD I can control, and this is separate from those I gain from the class ability?

Is this correct, and is there any way to raise the # of HD I can control for commanded undead?

TheCrowing1432
2015-03-18, 02:49 AM
Corpse Crafter increases the control cap for controlling undead, however it does NOT stack with the dread necromancers Undead Mastery Class Feature.

Verumsui
2015-03-18, 03:13 AM
Corpse Crafter increases the control cap for controlling undead, however it does NOT stack with the dread necromancers Undead Mastery Class Feature.

Corpsecrafter itself gives and enhancement bonus to strength and a bonus to hit points does it not? I also don't see anything that has to do with raising the cap in its feat line.

CORPSECRAFTER [GENERAL]
Undead you raise or create are tougher than normal.
Benefit: Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy
spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and +2 hit points
per Hit Die.

Deox
2015-03-18, 03:50 AM
It's dangerous to go alone.

Take this: The Necromancer's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1049211)

Fouredged Sword
2015-03-18, 08:42 AM
Ok, so there are THREE ways to control undead.

You can REBUKE undead.
You can CREATE undead.
You can COMMAND undead.

Each one of these methods has an independent control cap, and each has a benefit and drawback.

Rebuking undead is the most flexible method of control with the lowest cap on HD. The creature must have HD at least half of your HD and you can only control up to your total HD of HD this way, so you are looking at two creatures. This works on any KIND of undead though, and you can rebuke undead you find rather than having to make them. It also controls undead without offering a save and works on smart undead.

Creating undead though the animate dead spell has a much higher cap. You can control 4x your HD of undead (This increases at level 8 dread necro), but are going to be restricted to zombies or skeletons. Not the most useful creatures, but look up the zombie dragon template, as it is FAR better than a standard zombie if you can get your hands on a dead dragon. You must create these undead.

Commanding undead is the use of the Command undead spell. It, no save, controls a single mindless undead creature for CL days. This is REALLY powerful as you can animate a really high HD zombie dragon or zombie and then simply command it to avoid taking up space in your limited control pools. This does not work well on non-mindless undead though, so save it for big undead meatshields.