PDA

View Full Version : Speculation What Playable Races Do You Want To See In Future 5e Supplements?

drrockso20
2015-03-18, 05:33 AM
what the title says, to start with let's limit ourselves to Races/Monsters listed in Monster Manual that are smaller than Huge and reasonably sapient enough to be potentially playable, I've made a list of possible candidates(even if some stretch the sapience definition, and some might be a little too powerful to be playable without bringing in Level Adjustment);

Azer
Bugbear
Bullywug
Cambion
Centaur
Doppelganger
Duergar
Ettercap
Ettin
Flumph
Galeb Duhr
Githyanki
Githzerai
Gnoll
Goblin
Grimlock
Hag
Half-Dragon
Harpy
Hobgoblin
Jackalwere
Kenku
Kobold
Kuo-Toa
Lizardfolk
Magmin
Medusa
Mephit
Merfolk
Merrow
Mind Flayer
Minotaur
Modron
Myconid
Nothic
Ogre
Ogrillon/Half-Ogre
Oni
Orc
Pixie
Quaggoth
Sahuagin
Salamander
Satyr
Sprite
Thri-Kreen
Troglodyte
Troll
Umber Hulk
Xorn
Yuan-Ti

which ones from this list would you like to see in a future supplement?

Spacehamster
2015-03-18, 07:27 AM
Gnoll of the smarter variant Flind. :)

Laurefindel
2015-03-18, 07:40 AM
official tiny race would be great as a benchmark for homebrewing...

Balyano
2015-03-18, 07:41 AM
a single Goblinoid race with subraces of Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear, Blue (sure not listed here and psionics isnt out yet, but i still want them), and importantly for me Bhuka (again not listed here but I love them)

From the list
a single Gith race with the subraces of Yanki and Zerai

Koblods of course

Lizardfolk and Troglodyte as two subraces of a single race

Orc (why aren't they PHB?)

Thri-Kreen

Yuan-Ti

Minotaur

Bullywug and Grippli as two subraces of a single race

Kenku

Not from the list
Killoren
4e style Deva
Tibbit
Mongrelfolk

themaque
2015-03-18, 07:44 AM
Bariaur

Gith (at least one)

Rogue Modrons

(can you tell I used to be a planescape player?)

and then the ever loved and world appreciated...

Kender.

No I'm not Trolling. Not really. I honestly love Kender. I will conced that some bad apple players can spoil the bunch for some groups. Proper playing of a Kender should be it's own thread.

Gritmonger
2015-03-18, 08:07 AM
<snip>
Kender.

No I'm not Trolling. Not really. I honestly love Kender. I will conced that some bad apple players can spoil the bunch for some groups. Proper playing of a Kender should be it's own thread.

...on another board, dedicated to home repair in flood-damaged regions, in the bottom of a filing cabinet in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Grue."

cloud4an
2015-03-18, 08:08 AM
THRI KREEN
I just really want to communicate to my party via clicking and moving my antennae.

Person_Man
2015-03-18, 08:31 AM
I hope that they keep new races. Every time they publish a set of new races, one of them almost always invalidates the existence of some previously published race.

Naanomi
2015-03-18, 08:56 AM
The three main goblinoids, kobolds... Athas races (Mul, 1/2 Giant, Kreen, Pteran)

Shining Wrath
2015-03-18, 09:17 AM
It's fine for WotC to multiply races, but they should make clear that not every DM has to allow every race at their table; a race should have a place in the campaign setting. If humans and elves have had no contact for centuries for Reasons, half-elves ought not to exist, and so on. I don't ever intend to ban half-elves, mind, just tossing out examples.

I think I'll make Kender a legendary creature out of myth that parents tell their children about - eat your vegetables or you'll turn into a Kender and everyone will hate you.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 10:15 AM
Killoren was a fantastic race from 3.5, my Killoren Binder had lots of fun and I would like to make an Outlander Killoren Warlock (Fey, Pact of Chain) to revive his legacy.

Thri Keen would be nice, though darksun had its time in the light during 4e (great stuff came from it) and I'm not sure if I want them focusing on Darksun anytime soon.

Kenku and Deva from 4e.

Mind Flayer, because I'm going to make one have heavy armor and eldritch blast (+agonizing blast). Have him go insane (great old one pact?) And have him always mumble about exterminating a doctor.

Joe the Rat
2015-03-18, 10:21 AM
Mind Flayer, because I'm going to make one have heavy armor and eldritch blast (+agonizing blast). Have him go insane (great old one pact?) And have him always mumble about exterminating a doctor.

Caaaaaan!!!

Reference aside, I can't help but think that a GOO Pact would make a Mind Flayer go sane.

Grayson01
2015-03-18, 10:35 AM
Yuan-Ti
Thri-Kreen
Satyr
Sprite
Aquatic-Elf
Kenku
Kobold
Goblin
Githyanki
Githzerai
Azer
Killoren

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 11:26 AM
Caaaaaan!!!

Reference aside, I can't help but think that a GOO Pact would make a Mind Flayer go sane.

Good point, I kinda like that a lot actually.

Mind Flayer (GOO Patron, Chain Pact) talks to their familiar (Imp or some other evil type) about philosophical implications of what they do and such. The familiar gets a catch phrase like "dude, you one WEIIIRRD mind flayer" set to the laughing of a tv audience... Which is in the Mind Flayer's head, he is so insane that he thinks he is sane and that life is a 80's family type sitcom.

I now want my mind flayer to talk like Bill Cosby...

Rack
2015-03-18, 12:15 PM
Humans.

While variant human is perfectly viable all these weird races end up clashing for attention. I'd like to see some more attention paid to humans so you end up playing anything else because you like the flavour, and not because it's the easiest way to get that 17 starting strength alongside some other nice bonuses.

Yorrin
2015-03-18, 12:23 PM
Just off the list in the first post I'd want:

Bullywug
Gnoll
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Kenku
Kobold
Minotaur

though as many have said, there are plenty of races from previous editions I'd want as well- Killoren, Bhuka, Azurin, Aventi, Uldra, etc. I also want a non-palytest/non-unearthed-arcana version of the eberron races.

Ralanr
2015-03-18, 12:24 PM
Just hoping for some gnolls. Orcs also, but I want gnolls more.

WilsonUndead
2015-03-18, 01:57 PM
No mention of Slaadi. Am I the only one who has a confusing love for them?

M Placeholder
2015-03-18, 02:07 PM
No mention of Slaadi. Am I the only one who has a confusing love for them?

So you want to play a race that would talk about slapping gerbils, eat barstools dunked in gibbering mouther and knaw the legs of their fellow party members?

Slaadi would be like Kender x1000 in terms of disruption.

Gritmonger
2015-03-18, 02:12 PM
So you want to play a race that would talk about slapping gerbils, eat barstools dunked in gibbering mouther and knaw the legs of their fellow party members?

Slaadi would be like Kender x1000 in terms of disruption.

Sorry, but chaotic stupid still isn't comparable to canon license to deliberately compulsively steal from fellow characters and blame everyone else for getting mad...

M Placeholder
2015-03-18, 02:18 PM
Sorry, but chaotic stupid still isn't comparable to canon license to deliberately compulsively steal from fellow characters and blame everyone else for getting mad...

I agree. Slaadi are a million times worse than Kender. Just read the section on how they reproduce. All of the fluff basically states that Slaadi are the embodiment of Chaotic Neutral, and playing one of them as written would be too distruptive, way more than Kender. Slaadi have canon license to infest fellow PCs with parasitic young or turn them into Slaadi, which would be much more distruptive than a handling Kender.

I would tell my players that if they want to play a frog play a Grippli, and an extraplanar from Limbo to play a Githzerai.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 02:39 PM
Well I guess we better erase the paladin from D&D too, you know if we are getting rid of things that have, in the past, caused players to act like total jerks to their party based on a selection they can make within the game.

Yeah cause the paladin hasn't been made into a better version of itself at all.

Inevitability
2015-03-18, 02:42 PM
...on another board, dedicated to home repair in flood-damaged regions, in the bottom of a filing cabinet in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Grue."

*Applauds*

And as for myself: I expect to see goblinoids, kobolds, and orcs. I hope to (but will probably never) get the chance to play a Yuan-Ti, modron, or myconid.

GutterFace
2015-03-18, 02:43 PM
Ooze, Cube or some sort of Pudding looking to make a fresh start in the outside world.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 03:09 PM
Ooze, Cube or some sort of Pudding looking to make a fresh start in the outside world.

Monk Ooze makes a return to D&D!

MustacheFart
2015-03-18, 03:50 PM
Need more bullywug!

Fable Wright
2015-03-18, 03:54 PM
I really want to see Troll, Medusa, Harpy, Ogre, Minotaur, and Gnoll getting statted out as playable races.
(I want to run an all-Droaamite campaign in 5e. Not likely to happen, though. :smallfrown:)

drrockso20
2015-03-18, 03:59 PM
personally I'm in favor of almost any race getting added in(there's a reason Fantasycraft is one of my favorite versions of D&D), indeed the only ones I'm somewhat against are things like full-blooded Demons & Devils, due to both balancing them would be a pain in the ass, and the fact that Alignment is often more fully baked into them than for most other races, although if we move beyond the list I put in the first post, I'd say pretty much every playable 4e race that's not already available or on the initial list, as well as the Draconians from Dragonlance(one of the Kang Regiment books was my first D&D novel), also if we go into possible 3rd party stuff, I'd love to see a 5e version of Races of Alluria, as that was one of my favorite 4e supplements

M Placeholder
2015-03-18, 04:32 PM
http://www.pandius.com/lupnbred.html

Lupins - There would be something for everyone, with three sizes and lots of different abilities depending on the breed.
Rakasta/Catfolk - With small, medium and large sizes.
Shad - From the planescape setting, a race from the elemental plane of earth who are druids and bards, and have incredible contortion skills.
Child of Neth - Constructs of the Demiplane that lives, seeking out what lies beyond Neth.
Khaasta - Planar Lizardfolk for whom backstabbing is an art form.
Bhuka - Basically Pueblo dwelling, Southwest goblins.
Half Giants - For Dark Sun, the 1200 pound, 10 foot tall version, and the one detailled in the XPH for 3.5.

I would love for those to be playable races.

jazzymantis
2015-03-18, 04:41 PM
Myconid
Sprite
Merfolk
Lizardfolk
Revant

Toadkiller
2015-03-18, 04:48 PM
Minority opinion here- I think there are too many now. The new ones for the EE download pushed me over the line. I would ditch them, Tiefling and dragon borne if I were to DM 5e.

M Placeholder
2015-03-18, 04:59 PM
Minority opinion here- I think there are too many now. The new ones for the EE download pushed me over the line. I would ditch them, Tiefling and dragon borne if I were to DM 5e.

So basically the Five races plus Gnomes. You don't have to have the others in your game as playable races.

Out of all the worlds listed in the players handbook, only one, Aebrynis (Birthright), has just the five races as major races - Humans, Elves, Halflings, Dwarfs and Orcs/Goblins (Orogs and Cerillian Goblins). All of the other settings have populations of races other than the five plus gnomes, and in some settings, there are entire nations of non-demihuman races (The nation of Renardie in Mystara, the Kreen empire in Dark Sun, the Minotaur Nation in Dragonlance). Having just the standard six just does not work for all the other settings.

I would like to see updates for setting specific versions for Elves for Birthright, Dark Sun and Dragonlance, since the Elves for Birthright are more like the fair folk in fairy tales, and the Kargonesti Elves in dragonlance dont really fit the wood elf mold. Also, stats for the warrior Elves of Valenar and the Drow for Eberron.

As for setting specific races, I would love to see these statted, as I dont really feel comfortable setting out a campaign and not having these races statted and available for PC use -

Birthright

Elf
Halfling
Orog
Goblin (L,M and S)

Mystara

Lupin
Tortle
Rakasta
Gatorfolk

Eberron

Eneko
Kalashtar
Orc

Dark Sun

Aarakocra
Mul
Thri-Kreen
Halfling
Elf
Dwarf
Half Giant
Tari
Ssurran

Dragonlance

Kender
Draconian
Minotaur

Forgotten Realms/Kara Tur

Spirit Folk
Hengeyokai
Nezumi
Varana
Asabi
Volodni

drrockso20
2015-03-18, 06:23 PM

if I had to ditch any races for a setting, I'd be more likely to dump one of the four main breeds of Demi-Human(Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, and Halflings) than I would one of the more exotic races, but then the more exotic D&D races have always been one of the more appealing concepts in the franchise for me

mephnick
2015-03-18, 11:16 PM
None. Anything that isn't made yet can be easily crafted by players. There's already dozens of balanced home-brew races. The more exotic the printed races get, the more abusable they get, and the more worthless the base races become, introducing official power creep.

I don't want 3.5's 75930 races that only exist to cherry pick stats and abilities.

RustyArmor
2015-03-18, 11:39 PM
Though I would like a few more, like different human types and maybe few other subraced elves/dwarves/etc. I also agree with mephnick that we don't need to many more. The real problem is you can make some crazy million page book with everything from every monster manual and source book as a playable race and players will still ask to be something not in said book.

Mr.Moron
2015-03-18, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see the official Centaur stats, just to see how they vary from the Centaur race I implemented in my game. At least in terms of things like if they keep the full movement speed, size and how they interact with armor pricing. The actual stats & abilities would probably be very different since my interpretation was so setting specific.

Mrmox42
2015-03-19, 06:46 AM
Flumph

This :smallbiggrin:

I have always had an unhealthy thing with the Flumph. Their mere existance makes me happy.
Being a playable race (how?) is even better.

Balyano
2015-03-19, 08:47 AM
Illumians too, too bad humans aren't designed along the lines of Race:Subrace, because Illumians would have been easy to add as a human subrace. But they should still be added as a race.

supergoji18
2015-03-19, 11:09 AM
Asimar are a race I'd like to see. Perhaps even Deva (interesting idea of playing an angel in human form).

Fiends as well. I'd love to play as some sort of Imp and progress to stronger forms as I level up.

Also, Kobolds need to be playable. They MUST!!!!!

Gritmonger
2015-03-19, 11:18 AM
Dragonborn don't have a subrace yet...

M Placeholder
2015-03-19, 11:18 AM
Asimar are a race I'd like to see. Perhaps even Deva (interesting idea of playing an angel in human form).

Fiends as well. I'd love to play as some sort of Imp and progress to stronger forms as I level up.

Aasimar are in the DMG as an example of how to create your own race, and statted. I agree on Kobolds being a playable race, especially if they include everything in the Races of the Dragon that made them so good as sorcerers.

Shining Wrath
2015-03-19, 11:21 AM
I'd like to see the official Centaur stats, just to see how they vary from the Centaur race I implemented in my game. At least in terms of things like if they keep the full movement speed, size and how they interact with armor pricing. The actual stats & abilities would probably be very different since my interpretation was so setting specific.

Yeah, I like Centaurs. I was thinking they'd be able to buy armor for the human portion at regular prices, but it would be expensive to get barding for the horse portion, and magic armor would have to be crafted (meaning: quest to find person who can craft it, quest to prove self worthy to said person, quest to get necessary materials, ...).

Also, would any inn allow centaurs to spend the night? If not, you just Split The Party - every night in town.

supergoji18
2015-03-19, 11:22 AM
Aasimar are in the DMG as an example of how to create your own race, and statted. I agree on Kobolds being a playable race, especially if they include everything in the Races of the Dragon that made them so good as sorcerers.

Sorcerers? Phooey! They must be bards! They will dance and sing for the party's amusement!

And I don't think the aasimar in the DMG is "official"

Mr.Moron
2015-03-19, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I like Centaurs. I was thinking they'd be able to buy armor for the human portion at regular prices, but it would be expensive to get barding for the horse portion, and magic armor would have to be crafted (meaning: quest to find person who can craft it, quest to prove self worthy to said person, quest to get necessary materials, ...).

Also, would any inn allow centaurs to spend the night? If not, you just Split The Party - every night in town.

In my game at least I worked it like this:

Human Armor is usable by Centaurs at -1 AC, purchasing "Barding" of the same type brings the AC bonus up to full. "Barding" of this type is relatively common, though still expensive due to the materials cost.

Magic Armor functions normally and doesn't require barding to power up. The -1 AC stipulation applies but even mundane barding can match to complete magic armor.

Most Inns/Shops in my setting are equipped to handle Centaurs and other larger-than-human creatures, since they're a common part the population. If there is a building really just too small for them (say a tiny tavern), there is generally at minimum a service window with an awning or the like but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Though in my setting Centuars are fairly common up to about 15% population in some regions. Some of these assumptions might not hold with more typical D&D demographics.

wolfstone
2015-03-19, 11:59 AM
Satyr, Minotaur and Centaur.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-19, 01:02 PM
None. Anything that isn't made yet can be easily crafted by players. There's already dozens of balanced home-brew races. The more exotic the printed races get, the more abusable they get, and the more worthless the base races become, introducing official power creep.

I don't want 3.5's 75930 races that only exist to cherry pick stats and abilities.

A couple problems. Home brewing in official play is a bad idea and is more likely to introduce a high level of power creep.

We could easily get rid of the 3e issue of races made for the sake of cherry picking stats. Drop racial ASI and make races a combo action of fluff and abilities. Then no matter what race you pick you can have whatever combo of +2/+1 you want (or even +1/+1/+1).

But saying that officially only 10 races exist with a fantasy game that has an unlimited number of realms and planes is just way too restrictive to take seriously.

I love homebrew as much as the next guy or gal, maybe more so, but that doesn't mean official races shouldn't be made to support the official settings.

Besides, as another poster said, if I was dropping any races it would be most of the core races, I like the design of the EE races more so than those of core.

Pyon
2015-03-20, 01:15 PM
I want the Pixies :c

themaque
2015-03-20, 02:57 PM
Hackmaster made then work, don't see why D&D can't.

Naanomi
2015-03-20, 03:59 PM
Hackmaster made then work, don't see why D&D can't.
They *kind of* worked in Hackmaster. We ran a full party of Pixie Faeries through all the published adventures it was fun.

Fuzzy-Winkle
2015-03-20, 04:40 PM
I would love to have the Goliath race be available in 5th!

silveralen
2015-03-20, 05:37 PM
I would love to have the Goliath race be available in 5th!

They just got added in the new supplement (they are like boring half orcs so don't get too excited).