PDA

View Full Version : Try my 1st level adventure dungeon - Bandit's Nest

Yrnes
2015-03-18, 08:52 AM
Hello all!

I posted this on Reddit and got a great reaction from the players there. I’ve always loved GitP and shared my projects here, so I wanted to continue that trend.

I recently took to making dungeons for 5e, with the aim to kickstart them and then sell them on DriveThruRPG. I wasn’t sure what kind of interest they would garner, so I made a freebie dungeon for players to use. You can download the adventure here if you want a 1st level dungeon to drop into your campaign:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8712q5hu0nbseyv/DoD%20-%20Bandit's%20Nest.pdf?dl=0
(print friendly version here)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxte774tkm863he/DoD%20-%20Bandit%27s%20Nest%20Print%20Friendly.pdf?dl=0

I’m aware there’s some grammar issues (errant apostrophes and whatnot!) I’m still in the process of editing, but so far I’ve had overwhelmingly positive support for them. In the future, I was asked to make Roll20 Maps or large versions of the area maps. I still use a wet erase combat grid, and made the area maps easy to replicate on them.

If you like the dungeon and are interested in my dungeons at higher levels, my kickstarter is listed here where you can learn more about them:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dancoleman/dungeons-on-demand-instant-5th-edition-dungeons

Also - cool story! I actually was contacted by Wizards of the Coast shortly after putting this up. At first I thought they were going to issue a cease & desist, but it turns out they're cool with the project - they just asked me to change a few references on the adventure packets and to add an attribution to make everything nice and legal. Otherwise they gave it their blessing, which is super cool! I was kind of gushing that they’d even contact me, and it turns out they're very considerate and supportive. Go Wizards!

JFahy
2015-03-18, 10:30 AM
* Yoink *

Congratulations. Grabbing it now. :smallsmile:

Yrnes
2015-03-18, 10:47 AM
Thanks! Hope you like it.

FightStyles
2015-03-18, 12:42 PM
I really like your formatting. I also liked the dungeon's simple design while retaining interesting features. The dungeon content is neat, and very suitable for a 1st level party.

Yrnes
2015-03-18, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Derthric
2015-03-19, 08:37 PM
Reviewing the adventure now, and I really like it. I will try it out with my group probably sometime over the weekend.

Finieous
2015-03-19, 09:02 PM
This looks very well done. I love the attention to detail. Bravo!

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-03-20, 02:17 AM
Well now you've just made my week! This looks awesome!

How did you do the maps though? I'd love to be able to make something like that.

Astovidas
2015-03-20, 03:53 AM
Hi Yrnes!

Thanks a lot for your adventure! So far i only skimmed through it, but i really like it. :smallsmile:

I have 2 Questions:
1. Do you have a Player Version of the map? I like your map and I like to hand these maps out to the players, because i can't draw nice maps.. :smallfrown: so I would be very grateful, if you could provide a map without the symbols for the creatures, traps, etc.

2. Do you need/want feedback? I saw a few grammar mistakes (as you mentioned) and I could send you a list of all the things I found (e.g. you wrote "howeRver" on page 2). But if you already have someone doing this, you might not need me. :smallsmile:

so, thanks again and keep up the good work!

Yrnes
2015-03-20, 07:31 AM
Hi Yrnes!

Thanks a lot for your adventure! So far i only skimmed through it, but i really like it. :smallsmile:

I have 2 Questions:
1. Do you have a Player Version of the map? I like your map and I like to hand these maps out to the players, because i can't draw nice maps.. :smallfrown: so I would be very grateful, if you could provide a map without the symbols for the creatures, traps, etc.

2. Do you need/want feedback? I saw a few grammar mistakes (as you mentioned) and I could send you a list of all the things I found (e.g. you wrote "howeRver" on page 2). But if you already have someone doing this, you might not need me. :smallsmile:

so, thanks again and keep up the good work!

Thanks Astovidas!

Truthfully, I've never played D&D with anything other than a combat grid, which is how I made the area maps for the dungeons - easily reproduced on a wet erase map. In future versions I will make printable maps or Roll20 maps, but I do not have them for the current adventures. If I get some time I might revisit them.

I have gone back and edited out most of the errors. Unfortunately I'm afraid to post the new version, since it will change the dropbox link, and then any of the links I posted to forums and such would give a 404 Error (I know I could go back and relink then all, but I also am considering people that bookmarked it). I'm sure there will be a couple mistakes that slip past me, but hopefully I'll catch most of them in the final ones. I appreciate your offer though!

Yrnes
2015-03-20, 08:10 AM
If anyone runs this adventure, and doesn't mind taking pictures of some "action shots" during the game, I'd greatly appreciate it!