PDA

View Full Version : Strangely Broken Abilities

Barstro
2015-03-18, 12:24 PM
In the same vein as another thread;

What are some things that characters can do that are simple at first blush, but really powerful when put to use?

As a non D&D example;
A certain person can heal any wounds he suffers. This has allowed him to gain muscle mass at a heightened rate, train in martial arts faster than normal people, possibly live forever, and survive a process that allows for nigh indestructible blades to extend from his arms.
One of the most passive of abilities allows Wolverine to be an incredible killing machine.

My cousin grew excess fatty deposits on her upper front torso. As a result, she can; eat and drink for free most weekends, get better grades in college, and drive without any regard for the speed limit. It's amazing.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-18, 12:32 PM
As a non D&D example;
A certain person can heal any wounds he suffers. This has allowed him to gain muscle mass at a heightened rate, train in martial arts faster than normal people, possibly live forever, and survive a process that allows for nigh indestructible blades to extend from his arms.
One of the most passive of abilities allows Wolverine to be an incredible killing machine.

Is it bad that the first person I thought of was Kars from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 2: Battle Tendency and not Wolverine? On that note, being able to throw armadillo shells that turn into piranhas and an octopus is pretty wacky.

Necroticplague
2015-03-18, 12:35 PM
Any form-changing effect. At first, seems like a simple buff spell, almost always just on yourself. Then, you start realizing it lets you dump your physical stats in place of the mental ones, essentially freeing up your point buy by a good deal. And it gives you access to all kinds of abilities that are otherwise out of PC reach.

eggynack
2015-03-18, 12:42 PM
Any form-changing effect. At first, seems like a simple buff spell, almost always just on yourself. Then, you start realizing it lets you dump your physical stats in place of the mental ones, essentially freeing up your point buy by a good deal. And it gives you access to all kinds of abilities that are otherwise out of PC reach.
Those are also cool because they specifically scale with your personal knowledge. Any player can use grease, and it'll basically just be grease. If you're changing form, then every source book you comb through, and every form you keep track of, is a little bit of added power. Also, acorn of far travel. Oh, I get to always act like I'm under a tree? That sounds pretty cool. Oh, that tree is under some specific condition such that I can break the game utterly? How about that.

Barstro
2015-03-18, 01:35 PM
Also, acorn of far travel. Oh, I get to always act like I'm under a tree? That sounds pretty cool. Oh, that tree is under some specific condition such that I can break the game utterly? How about that.

Ah yes, I recall seeing some interesting things with the acorns posted here.

OldTrees1
2015-03-18, 01:47 PM
Not on the same order as most broken abilities but:

Warhulk 10 (Massive Swing) + Knock-down:
"Your 1 AoO did what?"
"Hit everyone several times and also left them all prone."

Necroticplague
2015-03-18, 01:52 PM
Not on the same order as most broken abilities but:

Warhulk 10 (Massive Swing) + Knock-down:
"Your 1 AoO did what?"
"Hit everyone several times and also left them all prone."