PDA

View Full Version : Creative Challenge: Spell Books

LordUmbriel
2015-03-18, 12:53 PM
I've got a creative challenge...
I want to start off by saying I love spell books. Arcanabula and Great books both. There is so much room for creative potential! Problem is, I get stuck with my head in the box of my own themes and ideas.
Given free reign on source book material, and even "custom" material... Anyone have some great ideas for spell books?

Vortenger
2015-03-18, 01:30 PM
I've got a creative challenge...
I want to start off by saying I love spell books. Arcanabula and Great books both. There is so much room for creative potential! Problem is, I get stuck with my head in the box of my own themes and ideas.
Given free reign on source book material, and even "custom" material... Anyone have some great ideas for spell books?

I'd suggest hopping over to the Minmax boards and grabbing CaptnQ's Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis. It has a section on spellbooks that includes every buff, binding and page material, trap, and combo you can eat. It's all crunch, no fluff, but everything spellbooks in DnD is laid bare there.

LordUmbriel
2015-03-18, 03:30 PM
I'd suggest hopping over to the Minmax boards and grabbing CaptnQ's Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis. It has a section on spellbooks that includes every buff, binding and page material, trap, and combo you can eat. It's all crunch, no fluff, but everything spellbooks in DnD is laid bare there.

Thanks! It's NICE to have all that material in one place!!! What I love more is all the editor notes! Answered so many questions and gave some neat new systems for doing things my players have wanted to do. Thanks so much!

That said I'm still all about wanting to see what others can/have put together from all of the source material out there! Maybe I should make a post "your favorite spell book..." ????? :smallbiggrin:

Malimar
2015-03-18, 03:46 PM
I made a goblin wizard with a spellbook full of all and only blood-themed spells. I did this for no other reason than the terrible pun: this creature is known as the haemogoblin.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for? Themes for in-game spellbooks?

LordUmbriel
2015-03-18, 04:07 PM
I made a goblin wizard with a spellbook full of all and only blood-themed spells. I did this for no other reason than the terrible pun: this creature is known as the haemogoblin.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for? Themes for in-game spellbooks?

Lol, yes... but themed with a more immersive/ serious side! ;-) Actual spellbooks would be great: what the cover's made of, the pages, any protective elements, and of course the spells contained therein; and any other miscellanea. (I know miscellanea is not a word but forever now forward it is to me ;-)

Deophaun
2015-03-18, 04:13 PM
I just use permanent image for all the spellbooks I want.

sideswipe
2015-03-18, 04:24 PM
cant you minor creation the special inks for the spell book's (a little off topic i know)

Tvtyrant
2015-03-18, 04:53 PM
One of my favorite ongoing jokes is that optimization guides are actual ingame books. Treantmonk's guide to being a god wizard might be a multi volume set with all of his suggested spells and accompanying explanation abridgements. A book on planar binding might be the three spells followed by the whole of Practical Demonkeeping.

sideswipe
2015-03-18, 11:50 PM
One of my favorite ongoing jokes is that optimization guides are actual ingame books. Treantmonk's guide to being a god wizard might be a multi volume set with all of his suggested spells and accompanying explanation abridgements. A book on planar binding might be the three spells followed by the whole of Practical Demonkeeping.

well something like them would actually exist.