PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Fighter (With 110% More Identity) (WIP)

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 01:09 PM
What is a Fighter? A Fighter isn't just someone that can fight, anyone can just fight. A Fighter is someone that takes combat to the next level. They can use maneuvers and abilities that make not only themselves fight better, but their allies as well. This can be from how they control the battlefield, defend their allies, or lead their allies into battle.

Fighters have many names over the years such as Samurai, Knight, Pirate, or Spartan. However not all of them were fighters. No, many of them were just common soldiers. The leaders who transcended mediocrity became known as The Fighter.

Afro (Samurai), Gimli (Knight), Blackbeard (Pirate), and Leonidas (Spartan) are some of the more popular known Fighters from history and literature. They used their Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma to become more than just a dude that hit things. To be a Fighter means more than just swinging a sword or donning armor, your identity is set by what you can do not what you use to do it.

As a Fighter you are more than just a samurai, knight, pirate, or spartan. You are their leader, their defender, and their protector. Without you there is no samurai, there is no pirates, and there is no knights. Because without you those names would have been lost and forgotten in the sea of mediocrity.

The Fighter

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features

+2
Fighting Style, Rally

+2
Remarkable Athlete

+2
Leadership Style

+2
ASI

+3
Extra Attack

+3
Warning Shout

+3
Improved Weapon Combat (1d12)

+3
ASI

+4
Leadership Feature

+4
ASI

+4
Reactionary

+4
ASI

+5
Leadership Feature

+5
Indomitable

+5
Greater Weapon Combat (2d12)

+5
ASI

+6
Leadership Feature

+6
Survivor

+6
ASI

+6
Glorious Assault

HP and Proficiencies
As the common fighter

Fighting Style
Choose a Fighting style as the common fighter.

Rally
A number of times per short or long rest as indicated on the table above you may use a bonus action on your turn to rally yourself or an ally. Choose one target within 30' that can see and hear you (including yourself). That creature may choose one of the following ways to be rallied. You typically have a catch phrases which your allies know quite well. This may be anything from "And my AXE!" or "Tonight we dine in HELL" but whatever it is, it really gets the blood boiling. When they hear you rally they know it is time to give 110%.

May make a saving throw against an ongoing effect that allows a save. This includes Death saves but failing this save doesn't count as a failed save.
May gain 1d6 + Your Fighter Level temp HP. These Temp HP lasts until you take damage or you or the target takes a short or long rest. If you are brought to 0 HP then the temp HP is also lost.

Remarkable Athlete
You gain double your proficiency bonus to Athletics and Acrobatics. Fighters who never multiclass also gain their proficiency bonus to their initiative checks, however if a fighter later multiclasses they lose this part of remarkable athlete.

Leadership
Depending on your style of leadership you primarily use your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma to help win battles. Choose one of the following abilities and gain training in a skill that shares the same mental ability score. For example if you choose Rousing Commander you gain training in a Charisma based skill of your choice.

Tactical Genius (Intelligence): When you hit a large or smaller creature with a weapon attack you knock them off balance and may move the 10' backwards or 5' to the side.
Gritty Veteran (Wisdom): When you hit a creature with a weapon attack they must succeed on a Wisdom save (DC 8 + Prof + Str or Dex Modifier) or slip up on their next weapon damage roll. If they fail then they do not add their ability score modifier on their next weapon damage roll.
Rousing Commander​ (Charisma): When you attack you may decide to flourish. It doesn't do as much damage but it looks and sounds cool as hell. An ally within 30' that can see or hear you gains advantage on their next weapon attack against the target. However your flourished attack does not add your ability score modifier to the damage roll.

Warning Shout
As a reaction you may give a creature advantage on a saving throw or remove advantage from an attacker. The Fighter must be able to see, or otherwise know about, the threat to give a warning shout.

Improved Weapon Combatant
Your weapon damage deals an additional 1d12 damage of the same type as your weapon. At level 15 this improved to 2d12 and your weapon attacks overcomes resistance and immunity to non-magical weapon damage.

This damage is rolled twice on a critical hit just as sneak attack damage would be.

Reactionary
The number of reactions you gain per round is equal to 1 + Your Leadership Style Ability Score Modifier.

A Rousing Commander with 16 Cha would have a number of Reactions each round equal to 1 + 3 (16 Cha) = 4.

Indomitable
As a reaction, once per turn, you may re-roll a saving throw that you failed. You may choose any choose to make any type of save you wish take the place of the initial save but it must stay among the mental/physical side of saves. Additionally you gain proficiency in saves that match your leadership style.

A Rousing Commander Fighter would gain proficiency in Charisma saves and could re-roll a failed Intelligence save as a Charisma Save. The same fighter could re-roll a failed Dexterity save as a Constitution or Strength save as they see fit.

Survivor
Gain the PHB Fighter Champion Class feature.

Glorious Assault
Weapon damage made by yourself and each of your allies within 60' gain a bonus to damage equal to your leadership ability score modifier. Yourself and each ally may apply this bonus damage once to their weapon attack on their turn.

===

Leadership Features

Level 9

Intelligence: You may use any maneuver available to you as a bonus action. This includes Shove, Grapple, Disarm, Climb Onto Bigger Creatures.
Wisdom: Creature within your threatened area provoke OA when they initiate a maneuver based attack. On a hit the target takes damage as normal and have disadvantage on their attack roll for the ability. Maneuver based attacks count as any maneuver or ability that has a rider effect that simulates a maneuver.
Charisma: When you rally a dying creature (one that has to make death saving throws) that creature counts their next roll of 10+ as if they rolled a 20. If you target a creature with rally that is making a saving throw against an ongoing effect that a save can end then they gain advantage on their saving throw.

Level 13

Intelligence: When you use a maneuver you may target any sized creature. You never take disadvantage for being smaller or larger than your target with skill challenges. Your tactical genius ability now works on any sized creature.
Wisdom: The reach of your melee weapon attacks increase by 5'. Your ranges attacks gain a threatened range of 5' (thus you may make OAs). You do not have disadvantage for firing when you make an OA.
Charisma: The target of your Rally gains a bonus to any save equal to your charisma modifier. The range of your Rally is 120' as your voice rings out along the entire battlefield. Additionally you may use rally a number of times per short rest equal to your Charisma Modifier.

Level 17

Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:

Amnoriath
2015-03-18, 01:32 PM
You have a few issues both in lack of performance and over performance
Conceptual
1. Why does the Fighter all of a sudden need to be a leader. You literally have hundreds(if not thousands) of characters that fit the trained exceptional Fighter.
2. How are any of those concepts of subclasses mutually exclusive?
Mechanical
1. The first rally ability is I succeed automatically because you say it isn't treated as a failed save.
2. The temporary hit points are useless since you specified they go away when they take damage.
3. Improved Weapon Combat is just ridiculous in how it outclasses other fighting characters in damage. It is in every way better than the Paladin's Improved Smite which often gets pointed out to be almost too good.
4. While it is a bit sad how out of turn actions are incredibly limited this just makes it too good.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 01:40 PM
You have a few issues both in lack of performance and over performance
Conceptual
1. Why does the Fighter all of a sudden need to be a leader. You literally have hundreds(if not thousands) of characters that fit the trained exceptional Fighter.

Go onto the 5e forums and read it there, I really don't want to get into this in a homebrew section.

Amnoriath
2015-03-18, 01:44 PM
Go onto the 5e forums and read it there, I really don't want to get into this in a homebrew section.

Being a little patronizing here aren't we? It doesn't matter what others say it matters to how it can fit what people are looking to make personally in the vein of the Fighter. What you have is not only to specific your sub-classes in flavor cross over each other.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-18, 02:37 PM
Being a little patronizing here aren't we? It doesn't matter what others say it matters to how it can fit what people are looking to make personally in the vein of the Fighter. What you have is not only to specific your sub-classes in flavor cross over each other.

Not at all, if you go there you will see where this fighter came from. You will not only get my side of the story but everyone else that weighed in on the discussion.

It is not something that needs to be discussed on a homebrew thread, the fighter has an identity crisis and this solves it by turning our Fighter (Fighter is a Fighter who Fights) into something with actual sustenance and background. The Fighter is either a tactical genius (controller), gritty veteran (defender), or rousing commander (leader).

I'm done with this discussion on the homebrew thread since everything that is needed is over on the 5e forums.

Amnoriath
2015-03-18, 03:13 PM
Not at all, if you go there you will see where this fighter came from. You will not only get my side of the story but everyone else that weighed in on the discussion.

It is not something that needs to be discussed on a homebrew thread, the fighter has an identity crisis and this solves it by turning our Fighter (Fighter is a Fighter who Fights) into something with actual sustenance and background. The Fighter is either a tactical genius (controller), gritty veteran (defender), or rousing commander (leader).

I'm done with this discussion on the homebrew thread since everything that is needed is over on the 5e forums.

Yes you are and now you are being arrogant too because instead of answering the issues of your fix here you stand on others voices as to almost say you are above criticism in the faults of this class.

NoseFeratu
2015-03-18, 04:50 PM
I like this idea.

In my opinion, the Fighter class needs to get back to its roots. Back in AD&D, a Fighter became a Lord when (s)he hit 9th level. The Charisma score mattered a hell of a lot more for Fighters than anyone else, as they were expected to be the heart of the group. Sure, Paladins would fight tooth and nail for their respective gods, but a Fighter always struck me as a powerful leader above anything else. When I think "Fighter", before 3e at least, I think of the brave king who rallies his soldiers to defend their homeland, riding at the front of his army, and refusing to retreat until the rest of his army is out of harm's way. A Fighter used to be a leader, and we need to get back to that.

Also, please don't feed the trolls.

JNAProductions
2015-03-18, 05:57 PM
I do see a distinctt lack of solo fighter. Every single fighter relies on others to maximize abilities, and the Fighter has always seemed to me one of the best "go it alone" type classes.

It'd be nice to see some more variation between archetypes. You have Leader, Leader, and Leader, just with a few minor differences. (Not that there's anything wrong with a Leader/Commander class, but this is about the Fighter.) It might be better if there was a Leader subclass, a Survivalist/Solo subclass, and a Gish subclass.

It leaves the core fighter without a strict identity, but that's fine. The Paladin, for instance, is defined far more by subclass than by class, and it makes a 2-level Fighter dip a training regimen rather than a new identity.

Giant2005
2015-03-19, 06:42 AM
This is actually pretty good but there are some issues.
Rally directs you to the table to see how many times it can be used but the table itself doesn't actually have that variable within it. With that in mind, I can't really comment on how powerful Rally is but keep in mind that if you are able to use it too often, getting those temporary HP repeatedly could be quite OP.
I also have issues with adding another MAD class like that. If too many MAD classes are added, the ratio of MAD to SAD classes will be pretty bad and those that want to specialize more will have too few comparative options.
I also think that Reactionary and Indomitable (And of course Improved Weapon Combatant) are a bit too powerful but those are also the same reasons why I would want to play it in the first place.
The thing that I think is most important however is renaming the class. You can't have two classes with the same name and the rest of those Spartans need a class too. Something like "Elite Fighter" would suffice. Even more than the issue of what class to make the other Spartans is that without a name change this class becomes a lot less usable. I for one could never use it with that name for it would be impossible to convince my DM to let me use a Homebrew Fighter when there is already a legitimate Fighter that has been rigorously playtested for balance. If this had a different name, I'd have a much easier time convincing a DM to let me play an "Elite Fighter" (Or whatever).